Munich Re

Munich Re Employee Reviews

United States76 reviews
Heavy focus on Sustainabilty
Company has high standards for sustainability and environmental impact. Company is changing with great goals for the future. Excellent location in NJ with another addition in PA.
Glad to be GONE!
Manager was a train wreck, he got promoted. His manager took over and completely screwed everyone, then got let go with a golden parachute. Then they brought in someone from the outside that tore apart the entire division and sent everyone packing with out packages.
Pros
Cons
Management is only concerned with their pay and big bonuses.
Great Team.
The team I worked for was magnificent! My boss was such a mentor and truly taught me the way if the business. The only issue I ran into was the Executive Assistants that were salty if someone more skilled and "younger" than they were came into the circle. They played mean girl and made your life miserable to work along with them. You couldn't do anything about it either because their tenor took president.
Good place to work...kind of relaxed...Nice environment,leadership,location,cafeteria and lot of learning and healthy lifestyle. Good place to work...kind of relaxed...Nice environment
Fast paced and exciting company to work for
A typical work day always varies with something different daily. You need to be proactive and disciplined with your emails and make sure you know how to balance your work load, otherwise you will become overwhelmed.
Always prioritize and make certain you answer emails timely.

I have learned to always be concise and straight to the point in presentations, and my work. Make sure your work is correct, do not assume anything. Do not over promise and under deliver, and make sure project timelines can be met. Push back when necessary.

The culture is friendly and approachable, and if I was to state the hardest part of my job, it would be the complexity of the process

and juggling the work load. Simplify would be the answer..

Enjoyable; is meeting all deadlines with success, and making the end users and clients happy, in other words doing a good job!
Pros
Work/Life Balance. Culture & Values
Cons
Like anything else nothing is permanent
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Good location. Good benefits. Large company culture.
With a large company comes benefits not found in medium or small sized companies. Bureaucracy also comes with it, but it is manageable. Decent job advancement possibilities.
Process
At Munich Re it is all about process. There is very little freedom that allows an entrepreneurial environment to flourish. While I did learn a great deal working there, the culture can be a bit stifling. If you are a "lifer" at the company, like being given a lot of instructions, you will do well there. However, if you like an environment that allows you to do different things that are "outside the box" or entrepreneurial, you will find it to be a difficult place to work.
Competitive, high performance culture
The atmosphere is professional and a very driven high performance culture. The company caters to actuarial students and talent. The last 5 years have seen a dramatic shift in culture. The hardest part of the job is dealing with constant change; like most companies Munich Re is on a path to digitization. The company has been experiencing some great successes in the market so that is a plus of working here. Downside, the work/life balance can become a bit hectic.
Friendly environment
I enjoyed the PM work that was assigned to me. The people I interacted with were very nice and willing to help when needed. As a consultant I always found resources available.
Worst play to work. If you want to learn something new, do not join this company
Worst experience ever. They hired me as an intern and throughout my time there, they didn't give me any work to do. I wasted my 2.5 months and all the manager did was talk about how they are trying to innovate new things and blah blah. Worst IT team too. Took ages to get issues fixed.
Lots of interesting opportunities - lack of unifying vision
Reinsurance is a fascinating business but at risk of being commoditized (competing on increasingly narrow margins to provide capital). Loads of opportunities to innovate and grow if there is a unifying vision in place. Diversity is a big problem - most people come from the same schools and same programs and there are many people who have been with the company for many, many years. Need to attract different talent and skillset to grow and thrive - specially tech talent.
Great company to work for
This company was wonderful to work for, nice and close to home. Opportunities for advancement, balanced work and home life. Lots of collaboration, lots of benefits, classes to improve your knowledge of the insurance industry. I truly loved going to work everyday. I worked hard to get where I was then, I was unfortunately part of a workforce reduction.
I currently work there fun intresting learning envierment and keeps you on your feet very good work place i love working there the most enjoyable pert of my job is interacting whit all kinds of people
Caring company
good worklife
nice management

good policies

nice work

little old school

opportunities to use any technology tool

good pay

good data collection and diverse
I like working with MunichRE because it was very flexible and excelant work environment.
I will recommend friends and family working with Munich RE because better pay and if I am not contract job permanent worker (full times job) they pay better benefit like health insurance and 4o1k .
I was very happy working GB for th his company and very respectfull employee.
I love working for Munich Re!
I've really enjoyed working for this company! The people are great and nearly everyone is friendly. The cafeteria is fantastic as is the gym. The company is great with flexibility and working from home, though this may depend on your manager. There's minimal office politics. Upper management genuinely cares about its employees. Salaries are fair for the industry. This company will help and support you in training.
Pros
Employee Resource Groups, culture, Perks (401k match, benefits, PTO policy), cafeteria, gym, company policies, upper management
Cons
Advancement can be difficult during on your team and manager.
Large company, very cool culture. Lots of very cool benefits and a wonderful sense of community. The business is very interesting which drives the employees.
Pros
Health initiatives (on site gym), Great Culture
Cons
Large Company
Worst IT
I’m an underwriter and working at Munich re is like working in 1980s. Major system outages, systems old. Seems all decisions are made in Germany. I feel bad for IT people.
Pros
People are nice
Cons
Terrible IT systems
good company
Pay is okay in the industry. Very nice work environment. Good benefits. Work environment may or may not be flexible depending on the team you work in.
Terrible management. Bad treatment of consultants and employees.
Company is in process of complete outsourcing to India.
Don't bother.

Management is completely tone deaf and has absolutely no care for employees or consultants.
Pros
Cons
No future no care
Family oriented
The atmosphere is more flexible and put importance on life balance. They have strong training and career minded and reward employees for their dedicated work.
Pros
Great atmosphere for work.
Cons
slower paced
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Munich Re. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

2.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.