Municipality of Anchorage Employee Reviews

Productive, fun but serious
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 16, 2018
Absolutely love working for the Municipality of Anchorage, I've learned a lot while working for the municipality. I've been given great opportunities while working for the municipality.
Pros
Great hours and hourly pay
Cons
No benefits
Enjoyed the mission and opportunities
Labor Relations Director (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 26, 2018
Every day was different so you didn't get bored. Great group of people work there. Public sector employment isn't for everyone, since wages and benefits are public information and very proscribed.
Pros
colleagues, mission, working on behalf of residents of Municipality of Anchorage
Cons
everyone's a critic
Lots of hard work
Gardener 1 (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 26, 2018
It was a lot of hard work. But very enjoyable. I learned a lot. And met a lot of very interesting people. We work in all weather coditions. I would have been nice to have a few benifits. And I didnt appreciate the union dues. they took a big bite of my pay. But I wasn't given the benifits the dues were supposed to be covering.
Pros
Working out doors.
Cons
Paying union dues for no benifits.
Too Much Nepotism
Timekeeping Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 7, 2018
As an organization a decent place to work. Plenty of time off and a flexible work schedule. However, too much bureaucracy and management that refused to make simple changes to become more efficient.
Pros
Lots of PTO and flexible work schedule
Cons
Nepotism
Great pro and that’s about it
Admin. (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99501May 17, 2018
Culture is like high school. Experienced bullying. Coworkers who try and sabotage work, little training to do job. New people given only work others don’t want to do and management is accepting of this notion. Retirement for tier 4 is not that great.
Pros
4 weeks pto
Cons
Bullies
The Municipality is a good place to work
Payroll Director (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 12, 2018
Typical day at work is very busy. I have learned a lot on Government accounting. Management is very political and the management is very political. The hardest part of the job was learning a new payroll system. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people.
Very fun place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 5, 2018
Very fun, friendly place to work. Management was awesome and I really loved working there. There was no "hard" part to the job. I received excellent training and there were no surprises when I started the job. Everything was clearly explained to me before I started.
Management and co-workers work as a team.
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 1, 2016
Municipality is a wonderful place to be employed. Reason for leaving is I want to relocate to warmer weather. A typical day at work goes by fast since it a fast passé office with purchasing items, completing change orders and Assembly Memo's. I have learned another purchasing software along with purchasing procedures for the Municipality not to mention different commodities. I could not have a better Management. They provided to tools and training needed to progress in my position. I can honestly say we have a good team and co-workers are team players as I am. The hardest part of this position was when I first started and had to learn the policies and procedures and a new purchasing program. One of the enjoyable parts of the position is I feel comfortable in the knowledge I have so I actually look forward to going to work just so I can save my employer and the tax Payer money on my purchases.
Pros
Benefits, 401k, leave time, good co-workers
Cons
working downtown Anchorage
Mismanagement of SAP Project roll-out
Project Cost Accountant / IT Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 25, 2018
box mentality - positions
heard "I don't do that"
heard "That is not my job"
Exemptions for spending were prepared after the fact.
Inconsistent rule policies & procedures
Pros
Cons
work for the boss
Could improve
Senior Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 14, 2012
Investigate and document incidents around he community that may require legal action. Respond to calls for service and assist community members that may be in crisis or require assistance. Being able to help and leave citizens with a desirable outcome is most rewarding.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
no promotional opportunities
I was just a temp, but it paid well
Temporary Position (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 8, 2015
I was a temporary for the Municipality of Anchorage. I felt like the compensation was fair and they were very flexible with my schedule. I cannot talk about what I did, but I liked that my manager trusted me and valued my opinion. Parking is awful unless you get permission to park in Muni parking lot.
Pros
Great compensation and managers that listen.
Cons
Bad parking, position only temporary.
Non-productive, Not Public Health
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AlaskaApril 16, 2013
negative enviroment, no support for your license, no raises,
Pros
location
Cons
poor work enviroment
Great
Clerk (Former Employee) –  AnchorageMarch 23, 2015
Lots of word processing, filing, engagement with public and other employees. Training in general govt was hard to get, due to available funds. Awesome benefits.
Dynamic organization that serves the people of Anchorage Bourrough with support services
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 25, 2013
The majority of my day was on the computer in People Soft screening applications. Forwarded selected candidates to Department Managers for review and interview. Accomplished hires (notification, hire paper work, gathered credentials, arranged in-processing).

Having just left the Air Force I learned the civilian staffing process and governing regulations and Federal and state laws.

The hardest part of the job was being on the computer almost the entire day rather than interfacing more in person with candidates.

The most enjoyable part of the job was to selecting great employees and seeing them so happy to have landed a good job.
Pros
Putting people in great careers.
Cons
Too much computer work. It became almost like a data entry position.
Working for People Mover was a very rewarding job.
Transit Operator (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 10, 2013
A typical day as a People Mover bus driver started by acquiring
any important information affecting my driving duties such as
detours, accident, or police/troopers alerts.

After performing a ten-minute pre-trip inspection. I'd drive the
bus to one of several locations to start my shift transporting
customers to and from downtown on several fixed routes throughout
Anchorage.

In addition to learning the technical aspects of becoming a better
driver, I learned the art of better customer service.

The management at People Mover, wheather in operations,
customer service, or maintenance were all top notch. They were
the right people in the right place at the right time.

Working with others who enjoyed serving the public was nice.
Pros
the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that i was helping people by serving them.
Cons
the hardest part was dealing with customers determined to ruin my day.
They will pay you well to treat you like livestock.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99519October 3, 2017
As an Operator, you will be treated like a subhuman, expected to take every form of abuse from the customer base, as well as management. Don't expect to move up in the company.
Working for a mayor who did not believe in helping the residents of Anchorage was very challenging to do.
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 3, 2017
The mayor of Anchorage was very challenging to work for. As the mayor of Anchorage did not feel the citizens of Anchorage need to be help though the Weatherization Program. The mayor declined the state grant.
Pros
Helping the citizens of Anchorage through the Weatherization program.
Cons
Mayor of Anchorage declined the State of Alaska Weatherization grant.
Recruited over 700 elections workers and 122 pollinhg places
Elections Recruiter (Former Employee) –  632 W 6th Ave, Anchorage AlaskaJune 8, 2015
My job was to recruit and hire over 700 election workers for the Municipality of Anchorage elections. I also contracted with 122 precinct polling places. Another facet of my job was to send recruitment letters indicating the available training times. All workers were to call me and schedule. If I didn't hear from someone I was tasked with calling and scheduling them. I also scheduled all the precinct Chairs for their supply pick up times.

The hardest part of the job was doing all these tasks simultaneously, both on the phone and in person. Them most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the different people and seeing to their individual needs as well as that of their precinct.
Pros
Busy all day every day.
Cons
Having to call and get things scheduled such as training and pick-up.
Hardest part of the job
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 27, 2017
The hardest part of the job is slowing down and not accomplishing much. One day they ask you to complete a task and by that afternoon your asked to stop and work on something else.
Happy office Great Boss
Anchorage, Alaska Planning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 8, 2017
I cant think of a better place to work. Both management and co-workers are supportive, work as a team and build communication so that the environment remains as healthy as possible. There is lots to learn, lots of support and a general sense of team here.
Pros
good holiday schedule
Cons
lack of city funding causing too many cuts