Municipality of Anchorage Employee Reviews

Too Much Nepotism
Timekeeping Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKNovember 7, 2018
As an organization a decent place to work. Plenty of time off and a flexible work schedule. However, too much bureaucracy and management that refused to make simple changes to become more efficient.
Pros
Lots of PTO and flexible work schedule
Cons
Nepotism
Productive, fun but serious
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 16, 2018
Absolutely love working for the Municipality of Anchorage, I've learned a lot while working for the municipality. I've been given great opportunities while working for the municipality.
Pros
Great hours and hourly pay
Cons
No benefits
Enjoyed the mission and opportunities
Labor Relations Director (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 26, 2018
Every day was different so you didn't get bored. Great group of people work there. Public sector employment isn't for everyone, since wages and benefits are public information and very proscribed.
Pros
colleagues, mission, working on behalf of residents of Municipality of Anchorage
Cons
everyone's a critic
Mismanagement of SAP Project roll-out
Project Cost Accountant / IT Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 25, 2018
box mentality - positions
heard "I don't do that"
heard "That is not my job"
Exemptions for spending were prepared after the fact.
Inconsistent rule policies & procedures
Pros
Cons
work for the boss
The Municipality is a good place to work
Payroll Director (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 12, 2018
Typical day at work is very busy. I have learned a lot on Government accounting. Management is very political and the management is very political. The hardest part of the job was learning a new payroll system. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people.
Great pro and that’s about it
Admin. (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99501May 17, 2018
Culture is like high school. Experienced bullying. Coworkers who try and sabotage work, little training to do job. New people given only work others don’t want to do and management is accepting of this notion. Retirement for tier 4 is not that great.
Pros
4 weeks pto
Cons
Bullies
Lots of hard work
Gardener 1 (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 26, 2018
It was a lot of hard work. But very enjoyable. I learned a lot. And met a lot of very interesting people. We work in all weather coditions. I would have been nice to have a few benifits. And I didnt appreciate the union dues. they took a big bite of my pay. But I wasn't given the benifits the dues were supposed to be covering.
Pros
Working out doors.
Cons
Paying union dues for no benifits.
They will pay you well to treat you like livestock.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AK 99519October 3, 2017
As an Operator, you will be treated like a subhuman, expected to take every form of abuse from the customer base, as well as management. Don't expect to move up in the company.
Working for a mayor who did not believe in helping the residents of Anchorage was very challenging to do.
Junior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 3, 2017
The mayor of Anchorage was very challenging to work for. As the mayor of Anchorage did not feel the citizens of Anchorage need to be help though the Weatherization Program. The mayor declined the state grant.
Pros
Helping the citizens of Anchorage through the Weatherization program.
Cons
Mayor of Anchorage declined the State of Alaska Weatherization grant.
I had a wonderful time working with my co workers but a lot of the work was put on us with little help.
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 22, 2017
We were told we would get two 15 minute breaks a day but most of us didn't get that. We had to eat lunch with the kids and if an I emergency came up it was very difficult to get time off.
Pros
Got to play the games with kids.
Cons
Little to no breaks, no time off.
co workers
Senior office associate (Former Employee) –  Anchorage Municipality, AKMay 23, 2017
Dealing with people is fun and you have to be patient and creative. That just work and keep home life far away. That learner your rights before your probations period up. Listen to other co workers and stay to your self,,
Na
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 21, 2016
Not the type of job I was looking for. Temporarily good fit. Overall, a lot of places for improvements. Interesting situations and community events.
A wonderful place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AlaskaJanuary 6, 2016
I maintained and monitored all the cell phones within the Municipality of Anchorage; payroll, Executive Assistant to the CIO.
Pros
Fun, friendly, new experiences
Cons
Kind of slow
I was just a temp, but it paid well
Temporary Position (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKDecember 8, 2015
I was a temporary for the Municipality of Anchorage. I felt like the compensation was fair and they were very flexible with my schedule. I cannot talk about what I did, but I liked that my manager trusted me and valued my opinion. Parking is awful unless you get permission to park in Muni parking lot.
Pros
Great compensation and managers that listen.
Cons
Bad parking, position only temporary.
Great place to work at.
Anchorage Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 26, 2015
Coworkers were all pleasant and helpful to work with. The Sgt in charge was superb. The equipment was exceptional. It was a VERY professional environment. In an emergency situation it was clear that everyone in the room new their job well and were all team players. It was mandatory that every employee belonged to the union. It was a very strong union.
Pros
Supervisors made you feel they were there to help you and assist you.
Cons
Lots of mandatory overtime including 12 hour shifts on your day off.
Not the best employer
Employee Relations (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 21, 2015
Depending on where you work for the Muni or what department, ones experience will be different. I worked at City Hall and oh boy did I not enjoy it. Extremely political, department heads don't get a long. There is no clear or open communication which makes it hard for staff to work. A lot of unanswered questions "need to know basis" which makes it difficult for staff to perform with half information. Computer systems are outdated therefore entries are made multiple times by different people and adjustments are made manually resulting in a lot of errors.
Pros
You work 8-5 not a minute longer.
Cons
They don't even provide you with filtered water. Who wants to drink water from rusty old pipes.
Great Team work by all involved.
Precinct Registrar Worker (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 14, 2015
Everyone does their best to get the process of voting to go smoothly; and tries to all work together for a great day of assisting voters with their voting process.
Pros
Meeting people; people in our District sees us working each year.
Cons
Long day; long hour sitting; need to get up and pick up garbage or something.
Recruited over 700 elections workers and 122 pollinhg places
Elections Recruiter (Former Employee) –  632 W 6th Ave, Anchorage AlaskaJune 8, 2015
My job was to recruit and hire over 700 election workers for the Municipality of Anchorage elections. I also contracted with 122 precinct polling places. Another facet of my job was to send recruitment letters indicating the available training times. All workers were to call me and schedule. If I didn't hear from someone I was tasked with calling and scheduling them. I also scheduled all the precinct Chairs for their supply pick up times.

The hardest part of the job was doing all these tasks simultaneously, both on the phone and in person. Them most enjoyable part of the job was working with all the different people and seeing to their individual needs as well as that of their precinct.
Pros
Busy all day every day.
Cons
Having to call and get things scheduled such as training and pick-up.
Enjoyed all all aspects of my job...
Sports Programs Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 24, 2015
Great place to work, relished the interaction of not only athletes, competitors, users and fellow employees. Job was eventually outsourced to private groups to help save the municipality budget.
Great Job for Summer
Gardener I (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKApril 16, 2015
The Municipality of Anchorage Parks and Recreation Department took very good care of their Employees, worked 4 days for 10 hours giving us 3 day weekends during the Summer. Hard working and great Crew Leaders whom knew not only the job but the Plants being worked with, ones not being worked with and even showed invasive species and sicknesses. Early mornings woke you up and got you moving and once the flowers were in the Municipal Beds, the only sad part of the job is the Season isn't as long as one would hope.
Pros
Bbq, cool crews, 10hr shifts, 3 day weekends
Cons
Season wasn't very long, ground freezing or early Autumns