Municipality of Anchorage
Happiness rating is 73 out of 100

Municipality of Anchorage Employee Reviews

United States71 reviews

schedulebenefitdaylothardcoworkerstimeenjoy

Not a bad place to work.

A lot of the employees that work there have been there for years. You get good benefits, but the pay isn't the best. Work is pretty slow, a lot of downtime. Look busy!

What is the best part of working at the company?You have good supporting coworkers but not managements. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Toxic managements and they don't take responsibility for their action or accountability to what they do to get away from doing good staff wrong. No transparency from management as they think they can boss you around due to their title. Management does not know everything or job duties of their staff to accused things. No communication no understanding and favoritism. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Toxic environment and bo communication ans no leadership to show any responsibility or accountability. What is a typical day like for you at the company?No communication from management through email or verbal just work od mouth from others to know something is new and never have a back up plans to what is new as no one isn't given the information.

Municipality of Anchorage insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job

What is the best part of working at the company?Great municipal outfit great job people and procedures. Loved it!What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Choosing where to eat lunchWhat is the work environment and culture like at the company?Great very good personnel What is a typical day like for you at the company?Efficient and organized great bosses

Swampy. Governmental cultural behavior is on full display

While the people at the bottom who did their jobs and didn't get involved with the politics were wonderful to work with and manage. The career politicians in the workforce and upper management made it hard to get anything meaningful accomplished.

Different departments/divisions offer different work environments. Some good, some not so good. Good opportunities for advancement. Benefits are good.

Pros

Good Benefits, 4 wk vacation to start

Daily challenges and the association with the anc assembly. Learning could reduced by hiring experienced people. But politics are very evident.

Disappointed in the outcome. I did not get the job. Complications in muni politics do not enhance the hiring process. Turnover in department continues to be a problem. This should not be. Lack of managerial experiences is relevant.

Benefits

Cons

Public entity with no frills

Management has agendas that benefit only them.

HR & management doesn’t care about the average employee. They have agendas only to benefit themselves. Very unprofessional & poor communication. Sad after 10 years.

Fun productive workplace

Working for parks and recs is hard work working and the homeless camps is hard work but time goes by fast and you get rewarded by the public for the thanks for you helping them keep their City clean and their Parks clean they appreciate that stuff cuz they are the taxpayers you know so to see us out there on the trails and and the park some even say thank you!

Pros

Freedom.

Cons

Sometimes management doesn't even know what's going on their job.

Hard working people and good attitudes.

The people in my division made it worth coming to work. They were friendly and understanding. The work had a purpose and every day we had a distinct job to do.

Pros

Good pay: great people.

Cons

Cross training was difficult due to my shift.

Loved the job, some managers were a joke but that's any place you work.... Buses were good and people were great to work with. Benefits were good and lots of paid time off.

Pros

Cons

Not much

Mission driven department...actions regulated by code.

The people within the MOA, Treasury unit were very talented and worked together as a cohesive team that recognized individual opinions and valued employee suggestions for process changes.

Pros

great team atmosphere

Cons

Retirement opportunity prevented me from remaining employed.

Good place to work, friendly dispatcher, nice co-workers!

Overall is a good place for work, sometimes fast paced but most the time easy. It’s a union related job and i think the $400,00 fee is too much for the service the union provide for us. You will be forced to enjoy the union, no choice. The dispatchers are nice and friendly, co-workers are nice....well 90% of them! The managers and supervisors do what they supposed to do in a public job, follow mayor orders.....just do your job, follow the rules and you will have a good time as a bus operator!

Pros

Nice supervisors, friendly environment

Cons

Schedules, drunks passengers

Great place to work w/great benefits

most of my extensive accounting experience was aquired here in the city. my mentors were my supervisors and managers. they were always willing to help you succeed.

Good place to work and not have to go out of town

Good place to work, lots of good people to work with. A lot of overtime, they asked to muck out of you at times. Overtime was very necessary in the winter, due to heavy snowfalls, wasn't as necessary in the summer but still management made it seem like you had to.

Respectful and Understanding Workplace

A typical day of work, included field work with three other interns. Where we oversaw construction projects as well as cataloged AMA ramp and sidewalk data. This job taught me the importance of listening to your fellow employees, following orders, and finishing projects on time.

The employes all had positive attitudes and were always professional

Best job I have ever had! Great Experience, professional environment. Positive and friendly training. Management crew was organized and well trained. I enjoyed working outdoors, the rain was tough some days but employees always made it through the day with a positive attitude.

Variety for an exciting summer

Great opportunity for an awesome schedule with plenty of time to enjoy your summer both at work and in your free time. Constantly in different places working with a variety of people from all different backgrounds. Good leadership that values your individual and the team's success.

Money isn’t everything...

The MOA is a good place to get a paycheck, but it lacks strong, competent and effective managers. The culture supports the bully and there is little to no accountability. Be prepared to spend 20% of your salary on medical bills from the stress of a hostile work environment, harassment and lack of civility. The work is so important and if you can remember that, you will survive all days, but never really thrive. The environment is tough to work in, which means you bring a lot of emotional baggage home... You have to pay your bills, but just know it comes with a cost with the MOA.

Productive and fun

It is building communities with fun parks and trail. Very team-based labor working in extreme conditions. Great first-time job. A growth environment and a build of character as well.

Great environment

I enjoyed working here. Always someone available to answer questions. Room for promotion. Never the same day, always new experiences and people to help

Toxic work environment

During the 8 weeks that I was employed at ML&P I was routinely ridiculed by certain co-workers and management, not given work assignments or given work assignments that were not possible to complete, ignored most of the time and my workstation was sabotaged twice. When I reported the harassment to human resources it was basically swept under the rug and nothing was done about it. Less than a week later I was terminated after all of the trouble I went through relocating to Anchorage to take the position from the East coast.

Pros

Other than benefits there were none.

Cons

Management has no accountability. Professionalism, respect and integrity are basically non-existent while nepotism is rampant.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Municipality of Anchorage. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Learn about Municipality of Anchorage in popular locations

Municipality of Anchorage reviews by popular job title

• Municipality of Anchorage