Munson Healthcare Employee Reviews

Currently working to approve final contract with new unionization
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 13, 2018
Staffing ratios and vascular access and wound care teams are phenomenal. Management is disengaged and distant with employees, especially after the creation of the union. Employee morale and culture is poor due to continuous turmoil with the union creation. Staff to patient ratios 1:3 on critical care and cardiac and 1:5 on noncritical care units.
Pros
Magnet Status
Cons
New Union Causing Turmoil. Poor management. Benefits not the greatest.
Fast-paced environment with dedicated staff
Unit Clerk/Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIAugust 31, 2018
Working on the Observation Unit was a great experience, and a job that I absolutely adored. It had it's downsides of course, but they were strongly and easily outweighed by all the good. I believe that the Unit I worked for really made my experience at Munson a truly great one.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Short training
It's a job for now.
EVS Technician (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIDecember 3, 2018
There is a lot of personal politics involved at Munson. It means nothing to work hard or have experience. It's all about who you know or brown-nose. Many employees in EVS sit around doing nothing while others work hard and get no recognition for it. Their team leads also sit around and do absolutely nothing. As an experienced manager, they have a lot of work to do but that isn't in their agenda. The employees are fine but the older ones bully you until you'll break. They like to do nothing to earn a paycheck.
Pros
Insurance, pay
Cons
Employees, management
Excellent company to work for.
per diem RN (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIMay 10, 2018
Munson Home Care has excellent supervisors and managers. They are concerned not only about your work performance but also your personal life. Excellent working environment and coworkers.
Pros
Great company, good benefits. Beautiful location in northern Michigan.
Cons
Pay is lower than average in larger areas, Difficult to maintain balance between personal and work life especially in case management role, this is typical of home care in general.
Great Coworkers, Awful Everywhere Else
Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIApril 11, 2018
Munson Healthcare doesn't care about their employees. The entire company has a mindset that anyone and everyone is replaceable. The budget is ridiculous and everyone is understaffed. The benefits are a joke, administration is a mess, HR is completely disorganizatized and acts like you're wasting their time (with one of the generalists being down right argumentative and rude!) The nursing staff is so kind and wonderful but the powers that be are ruining what used to be a pillar in the community. Admin and HR need a total overhaul.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Terrible benefits, compete disorganization, poor leadership
Munson
Nurse Aide (Current Employee) –  Traverse CitySeptember 20, 2018
Read the Pros and Cons. I have had some amazing experiences, and some terrible ones. But all in all its made me a stronger more able person. I do think my experience could be better if I was able to work with another aide who understands my position and duties.
As an aide I do what my nurses ask of me. Depending on what floor you work on and the severity of the patients condition the managers can be very hard on you. Being in a lower paid position at Munson can be a challange socially when, for example, you only work with nurses and you're the only aide. I find, with this job, it is oriented around rank.
Pros
Great for starting a career in the medical field.
Cons
Ranking, social culture with higher educated employees is tough.
I loved it here.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MISeptember 12, 2018
At the start of every shift, you meet up with all of your fellow employees for your shift and hear the game plan for that day. Your team leads tell you about any upcoming events, hand out rewards to employees, and discuss any changes that might happen to any schedules that day. You're never uninformed or blindsided, which it turns out, is a lot better than most places I've worked before.

Management shuffles around occasionally, but almost all the managers and team leads I've worked with really try hard to keep us happy and moving. Workplace culture usually consists of new employees joining the team and getting ground down into complacency instead of enthusiasm by the older employees who mostly complain to anyone who will listen. When you can find a group of employees you get along with you'll always have a place to de-stress during breaks.

The most difficult days involve a bunch of patients leaving the hospital, leading to a large amount of work devoted just to sanitizing and prepping their old rooms for new admissions to the hospital. Sometimes you can get blindsided and fall behind, but one of main reasons to work at a hospital is being ready to help people. Your leads can almost always find someone who's willing to help you, and I'm sure it'll make your day to see the sigh of relief on your coworker's face when you come up to help them eventually.

Honestly, the best part of Munson is the cafeteria. Most actual meals have a bit too much seasoning for my taste, but the ability to mix, match, alter, customize, and even switch up your diet everyday without having to
  more... plan it out yourself is great. There's always a happy and fun moment in the cafeteria. Plus, it's surprisingly quiet for how many people are talking in it. Must've been a lot of planning put into dampening noise.  less
Pros
Employee rewards for good work, cheap good food, responsive leadership, tons of benefits, rewarding and challenging work, surplus of cardboard boxes if you ever need them
Cons
Some days can knock you out, strict rules and policies, building is a giant maze
Munson is a great place to work. They are caring and compassionate people. I was with them for over 11 years. The only reason I quit this job is to
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJune 1, 2018
Munson is a great place to work. They are caring and compassionate people I was employed with Munson for over 11 years. The only reason I quit this job is to pursue travel nursing. It is a very fast paced place to work and they have very dedicated employees that work hard for patients and staff. The management in my department were the best managers in the hospital. I was very lucky to start my nursing career with them.
Great company with many options for employment
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 4, 2018
Munson Medical Center is a fabulous place to find employment in Traverse City Mi. There is something for everyone!
I work in Maternity as a unit clerk, and though the job definitely comes with some stress, all in all I love my time at work. Sometimes I wish that management was more involved, but they are caring and seem to do their best to keep the unit running smoothly. The hardest part of my job is trying to meet the needs of everyone, from nurses to doctors. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to be a small part of the process of bringing life into this world, and that is the most amazing thing to be a part of.
Review of my previous job at Munson
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Gaylord, MIAugust 30, 2018
I was employed at Munson as a physical therapist for 20+ years and I found the job both challenging and rewarding. As the documentation formats and requirements evolved I received valuable mentorship from management in meeting new criteria. A typical day at work was climbing into my car and heading to appointments, receiving messages from the office as needed, documentation of visits and calls and correspondence with staff and medical personnel. The hardest part of my job was leaving a patient that hasn't met their personal goals but has met their maximum potential for benefit of PT services. I feel I have gained knowledge in both my profession and in personal growth working with my co-workers and especially with my patients and their families. I've learned from them about personal courage, family support and sacrifice; and most of all about the power of hope and faith.
Pros
Autonomy in care to patients
Cons
n/a
Fulfilling and challenging position
Patient Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIDecember 1, 2018
I worked with a tight knit team every day and our relationship was special. Because we were working with medically challenged people, the utmost care and attention was paid to patient confidentiality and empathy for the patients and their families. This was a fast paced environment where accuracy was key. The hospital was extremely well run and management in our department was wonderful. I loved the diversity of the people we served.
Fun Workplace
Patient Transporter (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIAugust 20, 2018
As stated in the pro's, being a patient transporter allowed for me to meet a lot of people in every department of the hospital along with familiarizing myself with other departments work flow/habits. You personally would need to reach out to other workers/managers on different departments and then transfer to them in order to advance your career as transport doesn't promote you into anything more. The managers for me were very flexible and very understanding. Lots of nice people and a great foot in the door.
Pros
Personal advancements and meetings (see review)
Cons
Work advancements/ limited skillset
great benefits
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Leavenworth, KSApril 23, 2018
this company has great benefits but lots of unfair practices like favoritism ( do not hold everyone to same standards). but would work for this company in a heartbeat.
Not a fun organization to work for.
Ambulatory / Nurse Assistant lead (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MI 49684December 12, 2017
Bad hours(I understand its a hospital), bad pay, bad benefits, and even worst management. I got extremely lucky and got to work for a great manager, but others not so much. If you are not a MD or a high level RN than they treat you like you should feel lucky that you have a job in the first place. And to top it all off they own all the hospitals in northern MI. so there isn't anywhere you can hide. I left on a great note and am considered "re hire-able" but if you leave on a bad note you cant get a job in any healthcare related job in northern MI.
It's a decent place to work for the area
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MISeptember 16, 2018
There aren't many jobs in this area that aren't hospitality like hotels or restaurants so this is about as good as you can get. Take it or leave it. Munson knows it and they take advantage of it. The people who work for Munson are fantastic because that is just who they are and they treat patients very well because that is who they are and that is why Munson has such a great reputation. Senior leadership gets a bad reputation because they fail to recognize that nor treat these great employees with the pay and the perks they deserve. So working for Munson is bittersweet for everyone. They love their co-workers but hate the Senior leadership that they have to kiss up to in order to keep their jobs and to keep Munson thriving so they can continue to be prosperous because they love their job and the people they work with.
Pros
dental, vision, medical, retirement, disability
Cons
overworked, low pay, lack of/insincere appreciation, bad senior leadership
Department Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grayling, MIMarch 7, 2018
Great company to work for. Competitive salary, benefits and fast paced work environment. Workplace culture of safety and patient satisfaction. Would recommend to anyone.
A great place to work
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIFebruary 26, 2018
I worked for one of the best group of nurses I have ever met. So professional and positive. They helped pay for some of my classes and I learned a lot from both working and volunteering there.
Pros
Benefits, culture, managment
Great employees and Healthcare facility
Pharmacy Technician II (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 16, 2019
I enjoyed working for Munson and being apart of their healthcare community. I was fortunate to be surrounded by management that was not only intelligent, and fair, but also compassionate and empowering.
Do not practice what they preach
Medical Business Associate (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MIDecember 2, 2018
The True North mentality does not exist in my office. Most of the workers feel over worked and stressed. We feel like our voices are not being heard and our patient care falters because we do not have the staff and resources we need to adequately serve our community. Munson does not put the patient first, they put the dollar first. Munson has become too big of a corporation and no longer values what is truly important; the patient.
Provides superior healthcare across all disciplines to patients from a 5-county area.
Lead Trauma Registrar (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MINovember 8, 2018
Busy healthcare system which provides superior patient care. Wages are not competitive to those in similar institutions across the state. The employees strive to provide patient care, although poor behavior is tolerated depending on who you are or know within the organization.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Munson Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight