Murphy USA Employee Reviews

it's ok
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Culpeper, VAOctober 18, 2018
it's an ok place to work if you want to work overnight all the time and have no life..you pretty much work 7 days a week. the best thing about the job is the customers
Poor place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sanford, NCOctober 15, 2018
Murphys is not a fair place to work the bad ones got promotions and the good ones treated like dirt, management was poor and did not care about personal issues, left because the pay was bad and tired of how they treated me.
Pros
Cons
Management, available hours/shifts
Flexible Hours
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Hialeah Gardens, FLOctober 15, 2018
Liked the flexible hours and it not being an overnight type of job. What I didn't like is the timeframe they give at closing and things they expect to be done within that timeframe. Other than that, it's a friendly environment to work at.
Relatively easy job, but low pay coinsides
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaOctober 14, 2018
Most of the day, even as a manager is spent cashiering. A moderate amount of paperwork to be done daily, but nothing complex. Changing filters in the gas pumps is probably the most physically taxing work to do, and it honestly isn't very difficult. Upper level management is pretty friendly and very professional. Only real problem is the low pay, but as the job itself is quite simple, the pay is understandable.
Pros
Casual work environment, room for growth, simple work tasks
Cons
No scheduled breaks, low pay, high rate of problematic customers
fast paced environment
Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) –  northport alOctober 13, 2018
A typical day there is very busy and we sell a lot of gas and cigarettes. The customers are fun and some can be grouchy but overall it's a good place to work.
Pros
insurance
Cons
no breaks
Very Unorganized
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dillon, SCOctober 13, 2018
Does not promote within hardly no hours to work, No incentives to strive, to strict on on store policies, Management is overlooked for any kind of raise or promotions
It was alright
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 12, 2018
customers were difficult called the cops on many heroin addicts that would leave needles in the bathroom was always by myself not a comforting job area.
Under-staffed
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lockport, ILOctober 12, 2018
The manager seems nice.

Yet, after working there for a while, I noticed at (PEAK/ BUSY) hours, there would be a LOAD of work to do: clean bathrooms, dump trash, stock the shop, -all which is fine- yet expected to do it BY MYSELF- meeting a deadline.
Maybe they ought to hire their own janitor. That would make a difference.
*I don't mind cleanin. But tidying in AND out of the shop defers the main job - CASHIERING.
Pros
Keep busy
Cons
No breaks
Fun and quick paced
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mineral Wells, TXOctober 11, 2018
It's not a bad job I'm just not making the pay I want to be making and there isn't anything bad other than that it's fun great customers 90% of the time. It's fast paced but it's not stressfully at all after you get the hang of it.
Shady place to work. They will fire you for ANY REASON unexpectedly.
Driver/Courier Priority Mail (Former Employee) –  Mauston, WIOctober 8, 2018
I worked for Murphy Express delivering priority mail from 4:00pm to approximately 3:00-4:00am for my entire 90 day probationary period. Unsatisfied with management and their lack of concern for safety of their drivers; specifically myself working overnight hours. Where there is no one to contact in the event of an emergency. I gave “ a 30 day notice” that I would be seeking other employment. That’s when I was told that my route was cancelled and that they were parting ways due to my notice. I also would not receive my 90 day bonus because of taking a one week vacation that they had approved. THEIR SHADY PEOPLE!!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Work your best and get unappreciated and possibly terminated
Management is horrible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAOctober 7, 2018
For my interview, the manager kept rolling her eyes when she was asking me questions but I get the job because she said they were desperate and I was there. I started working immediately and she was just ruthless and rude to me for no reason and expected me to know everything even though that was my first day and first time working at a gas station.
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
management
Life at Murphy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ooltewah, TNOctober 4, 2018
Murphy USA was my first real job, I was there almost a year. I expressed several times as to how I wanted to move up in the company. However the DM had no plans of me being able to move up or advance. Several times I worked more than anyone else at the store as we were a store of 2-3 employees. There is no room for growth here.
Chaotic
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Brownwood, TXOctober 3, 2018
It is a chaotic place at times. The company controls hours and the hours allotted are not hardly enough to get all the task they want done completed. The increases that have been made in sales have not added additional hours.
Ok place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Macon, GASeptember 30, 2018
It was an ok place to work. You have to be able to complete multiple duties while there by yourself. Cleaning pumps, fuel surveys, stocking coolers, etc Variety of customers.
Nice customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OHSeptember 28, 2018
The customers were nice, always a lot to do. Had some slow moments depending on when you worked, some fast days as well. A lot of things to stock and clean.
Not a bad place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 26, 2018
The environment is good. The people are good. Not a bad place to work. Although some of the hours are a little strenuous. Little staff allows for not a lot of leeway when it comes to needing certain times off
Awesome
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 25, 2018
A great gas station to work at. The monroe county people are polite and very understanding. Always busy though and you have to maintain a fast pace but politely.
Hated working alone
Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ozark, MOSeptember 25, 2018
Fast paced environment, rude managers, terrible shifts and always had to work alone and complete a ridiculous amount of tasks for very little pay, no benefits
Was a fun job until company changed
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Orange Beach, ALSeptember 20, 2018
The company changed for the worse from the time I joined the team. The corporate office added more and more tasks to the managers and expected them the run the stores plus everything the district managers should have been doing.
Did not like working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hannibal, MOSeptember 13, 2018
Manager was very nice at first then bacame careless, very rude, did not help when she wasn't there wouldnt answer her phone. During winter times having to be outside in the cold to change trash clean pumps an lot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Murphy USA. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight