Murphy USA Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Cashier and Stocker
Gas station attendant (Former Employee) –  Avon, INAugust 18, 2018
Was a fun fast paced place to work. Management is excellent. Can get more hour if chose too. Flexible schedule if you are willing too. Boring if you run out of things to do
Pros
Raises
Cons
The drive there
Fast pace
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Newport, TNAugust 15, 2018
I enjoyed the learning opportunity this was for me and how it helped me grow in a career. This position taught me how to improve my leadership skills and how to find balance between all job responsibilities while working effectively.
Pros
Pay Raises
Cons
No break on clock
Murphy was fine
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Horn Lake, MSAugust 11, 2018
Great job for people's first job or just an experience. They worked well with you when you needed them too. thanks for the experience it was well worth it.
Pros
good for younger people
Cons
alot of cleaning
Great Place To Work.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXAugust 10, 2018
Recommended for college students and people in search of part time work. The work is extremely easy and the basic job task you have to perform aren’t strenuous at all. Easy money.
Pros
Great Work Environment
Cons
Full Time only available for management.
Competitive and Happy
General Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Thornton, COAugust 9, 2018
I was the manager of a store and I learned very quickly what skills I needed. I needed to be able to keep a balance in the work place between customers, employees, and every task that needed to be done. I really enjoyed my job, it was such a happy environment. What I enjoyed most was chatting with my customers, it is the sole thing that got me through the day. The hardest part for me was keeping everything organized, but I had wonderful assistant managers that helped me a lot. My district manager was the best person I ever worked for. He was fun, but serious, and I could ask him for help with anything and he would go out of his way to help me. All in all, I learned many new skills and met so many awesome people. I would go back to this company in a heartbeat.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
as a manager, I didn't really get a break
Bad company to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLAugust 9, 2018
Manager sucked has no respect for his employees and doesn't know how to talk to them... They need to fire and replace him asap! He doesn't value his job!
Cons
Stressful environment lacking skilled/experienced employees. the town is very small and is located in an extremely remote region
QA Manager Enterprise Apps (Current Employee) –  El Dorador ArkansasAugust 8, 2018

* Infrastructure IT Team overwhelmed with workload, due to growing pains
* Business Analysts unable to provide sufficient details due to change
* Deployment Team unable to validate software deployment due to lack of product knowledge etc..., very challenging role

I learned that my experience and skills were needed by several teams. I also learned about Microsoft VSTS, SQL Back-End "ETL" Data Mining.

As far as management: some didn't have the technical background nor qualified to be managers nor directors unfortunately.

The hardest part was lack of process and many individuals not having the experience nor skills to do their job

I enjoyed providing direction and provided instructions and process information to Infrastructure IT and Deployment Team

I also enjoyed providing direction to QA staff and they felt valued because they were included in product team meeting
Pros
Most employees were pleasant to work with, Very nice facility/building
Cons
Employees seeking help due to lack of experience skills, Employees overwhelmed with work assignments, Growing pains and managements lack of technical knowledge to position the right resources roles
Productive and fair work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Nevada, MOAugust 7, 2018
Murphy USA is a productive, fair, and collaborative work experience. Management is understanding and treats employees with integrity and respect. The company is team oriented and rely on cooperative team members to easily find solutions to problems.
Pros
Failry easy tasks, fair pay, and amazing team members
Cons
No breaks, only part-time hours, and no set schedule
Horrible doesn't cover it
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, TNAugust 6, 2018
Just godly awful .
Poor training , absolutely none.
Bad manger's.
Not enough hours.
Favoritism is used
Just don't do it.
Not gonna pan out for you .
Pros
You get a 30 break
Cons
Not enough hours, bad manger's, your in a 6 by 8
Fun workplace flexibility! Great manager and assistant manager
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North Augusta, SCAugust 6, 2018
Great place to work! Great people to work for! They work around your schedule! They become more than just co workers they become family and they look out for one another!
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Paid bi weekly not aloud overtime

Want to know more about Murphy USA?

Ask a question
Meh
Cashier/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 6, 2018
The location I worked at is a shady area. Too many drug addicts come in go, creepy people, too much equipment failure, scheduling is awful, this location is beyond help
Pros
Cons
people like to steal, be rude, stupid
Very fast paced and very competitive and unfair place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lexington, TNAugust 5, 2018
On my days off i was always getting called in because the assistant manager never wanted to work she was lazy and off putting and her attitude was horrible
okay place to work
Customer Service Representative/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Snellville, GAJuly 31, 2018
managers are not doing what need to be done as a manager
the most enjoyable part of the job is customer satisfaction
closed in, not enough of space to work
Pros
Cons
no breaks
Fun work house
Cashier/Sales Associated (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 31, 2018
I really enjoyed the job and the new work experience,in which I was introduced to during my work tenure at Murphy, USA. The job training and meeting new people each day was a truly delight for me. The work crew was fun and really delightful to work with. The hardest part was having to leave due to my pregnancy.
Pros
customer service a high light
Cons
N/a
Wasn't a bad place, just a horrible store manager
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Balch Springs, TXJuly 30, 2018
The Store manager didn't hold all employees to the same expectation levels. My role in the store was overnight cashier, clean the store, stock the coolers, inside and outside. The SM did a horrible job at enforcing to other employees that they are suppose to stock and clean as well. Not sit behind the cash register and do nothing. The SM was immature and wasn't a good fit for manager. Each employee has a daily list to get done, he didn't enforce that list at all. Pay wasn't good neither were there any benefits.
Pros
No pros
Cons
lack of pay, no advancement, horrible store manager
Just a job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJuly 30, 2018
Although I was there for years it was just a job they do not treat their employees fairly and they are rude. The upper management staff has poor communication. It is often busy and everything falls on one persons shoulders.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
no breaks, poor store coverage, no employee appreciation, Horrible benefits
Fun place to work at,fast pace environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sulphur LouisianaJuly 28, 2018
In order to be an employee,u must be able to work with the public.its time consuming mostly.be sure to watch all customers,to prevent gas drive offs.greet all customers
Cons
Insurance
Loved it!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Marion, NCJuly 28, 2018
I met so many people from different backgrounds, generally worked shifts on my own once I was trained and enjoyed the high paced moments as well as the slow clean everything in sight momets
Cons
No break if its just you
Usual gas station work with low hours and exposure to weather too often
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 26, 2018
It was a job to have a job. Cashiers were kept at 25 hours max and pay was not great. Had to do everything outside even if weather was awful. No real benefits and had to struggle to get the 401k to rollover.
Pros
Could eat at any time, no one micromanaging you
Cons
Alone most of the time, had to do way too much at once
fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NEJuly 26, 2018
the hardest part of the job is being on shift from 3pm to 12:45am by yourself, so if you want to take a break, you have to do it when no one is there, which is very rare.
Cons
short breaks, one person on shift at night, you don't get discounts on anything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Murphy USA. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight