Murray's Cheese Employee Reviews

murray cheese
cheese mongeler (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAMay 16, 2018
this was the best job I ever had and its perfect for someone young and starting out in the world, I'm sure theres career advancements there as well , I always had a good time.
Pros
great if you like to eat on the job, and like cheese
Cons
not so great pay checks if your part time
Friendly yet business professional environment.
Catering, Maintenance, Butcher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 27, 2018
Typical day at murrays cheese would be you walk in clock in greet the people there, take your time to get dressed and all. Everybody is all friendly so it's no weird feeling walking in to work, it's fun to work there, they are able to help when you need it, but when it's time to work, it's time to work, overall a great experience.
Pros
They are not always pressing you if you are late or have things to do.
Cons
I can't really think of anything bad except if you are not doing what you're getting paid to do.
good job
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 7, 2018
good time good coworkers good place for work working monday to friday in the holydays we working something busy we working them grup leard about cheese and meat
Fun work place
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYJanuary 24, 2018
I really enjoyed the temporary assignment here work was self explanatory and other peers was very nice to work with. The managers there were cool and had very good communication skills!
Pros
Free lunch
Not a great fit for the experienced
Corporate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 16, 2018
Headquarters is run more like a store than a corporate environment. Limited time off/vacations/holidays, minimal benefits, no 401k employer match, poor structure and culture. Having cheese in the office is great, but that along with your 35% discount for product/20% discount on classes and "free" cheese classes (which you have to volunteer to help set up and clean up before and after) are your only perks. (You don't even need to be an employee to volunteer for classes, so this isn't really even a perk.)

Murray's Cheese is a great fit for a store employee who wants to progress into corporate, but if you have any level of experience, you should probably look elsewhere.
Pros
Cheese in the office (when tastings occur), 35% discount, "free" classes which you could get anyway
Cons
Poor management, limited holidays/pto/vacation days, bare minimum benefits packages, no 401k employer match, no real culture outside of interest for cheese, poor structure
Very basic minimum wage job
Deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJanuary 11, 2018
The Murray's I worked at was in a Kroger's so it operated by Kroger management. This means yearly raises for less than a quarter/hour thanks to the union deal. No matter how hard you work or how accommodating you try to be, you get no better treatment from the store than the slackers. I'm not a fan of any job where hard work doesn't help you go farther.
Surrounded by High-quality, delicious food.
Cheesemonger (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 2, 2017
Good place to work. Got to learn about a bunch of quality items and the companies that make them. It was fun to experiment with different and creative pairings to make amazing samples.
Pros
Surrounded by great food and people.
Cons
Little room for advancement.
Great place
Volunteer Cheese & Wine Classes (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2017
I am a volunteer helping set up for classes, pour wine, and clean up after. Great, friendly people. Very easy environment yet extremely professional place.
Low expectations
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bleeker StreetNovember 13, 2016
This job seemed pretty decent at first. I was hired on the spot. However, I should have known I wouldn't be there very long considering the staff on the first day pretty much gave me the scoop on the situation. The management here is in dyer need of improvement. They expect you to constantly be busy despite the fact that its painfully slow until the afternoon. There isn't much to do considering there's a person or manager for just about everything. The staff all seen lethargic and pretty much tired of being there. I think this job is great for high school kids. Not so much for adults with bills. Probably Top 5 worst jobs. Something is always in need of repair and they freak out if there are more than 2 people on line. They don't believe in having people wait although they don't have the proper technology to accomedate for the fast pace environment they try to create.
Pros
Cons
The discount sucks, nothing to do
En él área de trabajo ahí un ambiente familiar
Preaparation (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYOctober 28, 2016
Hay buenos compañeros de trabajos con supervisores muy flexibles pero ahí un nivel de competitividad negativa y eso no los deja avanzar mucho, les aconsejaría que sean más discretos en cuanto a la vida de cada empleado y que sean realistas !
Pros
Te ayudan con los estudios
Cons
Dan muy pocas horas
Work hard in a good environment
Inventory Supervisor (Former Employee) –  254 Bleecker st.June 6, 2016
According to my SAP inventory I have to order what the store needs
Receive all products that coming to the store even the expiration day.
Make reports about the inventory that we have on hand.
Productive and fun work environment, with plenty of room for advancement
Cashier/ Melter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2016
The company was fun working at, the only downfall was the safety measures when preparing food as well as the cleanliness of the utensils being washed and used
Fun place to work!
Fromager (Current Employee) –  Englewood, COApril 30, 2016
I really enjoyed working for Murray's. It was a great place to work and the job itself was fascinating and eventful. I took great pride in my work with the company.
Pros
Fun job. Great people.
Cons
Very family orientated work environment.
Maintenance/Porter (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2016
People work cohesively to help in other facets of the company. Such as completing assigned tasks and assisting another who may be struggling with their workload.
Pros
Discounts on lunch and cheese and wine classes
Cons
Short breaks and long hours
Great for foodies
Cheesemonger (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 2, 2015
While the company does not necessarily have a lot of room for advancement, it does provide amazing opportunities to learn about food. The employees all love food (a given, of course) and come from many walks of life, ranging from actors to academics.
Official response from Murray's Cheese
December 15, 2015

Hi Former Cheesemonger! We hate to hear that you don't see the opportunities for advancement because we have tons of opportunities! We'd love to hear from you directly and learn what we can do to share opportunities for advancement with you and anyone else that may feel the same way as you.

Nice, clean, respectable building
Staff - Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Long Island City, NYMarch 6, 2014
Productive atmosphere.
Gained knowledge of various cheeses
had Exceptional co-workers
Getting to work and enjoying my daily tasks
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Murray's Cheese. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

1.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight