Museum of Modern Art Employee Reviews

potential to be more
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 10, 2018
Once true management takes over and understands the running of a company and staff. Procedures and Training is important and not found, favoritism to its max
Pros
great benefits, peiple friendly
Cons
management inexperienced
Chaotic and disorganized
Team Leader and Attendant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
Workplace culture is toxic. It seems that the staff, security, coat check, and administrators are all working on different pages. There is huge miscommunication, finger pointing and often times contradict their policies to please customers.
Pros
Discounted lunches
Cons
Short breaks, standing up for long hours
Workplace Culture
Control Room Operator/Asst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 14, 2018
This is perhaps the poorest level of management that I have ever been witness to in my 12 years in the field of Security. They promote based solely on favoritism and not based on qualification due to the Security Managers lacking skill set. And they are always looking to lay blame rather than solve a problem. The best term to describe the MoMA Security department is Gross Managerial Impotence.
Benefits
Cons
Cut-throat managers and supervisors
Intern
Visual Merchandising/Design Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2018
I loved working here! You really cannot beat the benefits that the museum has to offer.
However, there a little way for upward movement or full time positions.
Fun work place
Security Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2018
MoMA is a great institution to work. Great opportunity, great benefit and very educational. MoMA has made the institution culture deliberate by creating a dedicated team tasked with coming up with events and programs to promote community. Great company culture doesn’t happen on its own.
Nice place to work.
Office Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 24, 2017
If you love being around art, this is a fabulous place to work. Great, supportive people. Only a little disorganized and the pay less than you would hope for. Otherwise, a really great place to be. Culturally very enriching.
Pros
Access to great art. Good benefits package.
Cons
Low pay.
fun workplace
gallery attendant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 6, 2016
I have work for the Museum of Modern Art for ten years. It is a nice place to work I get to interact with people from different background and nationality. Staff are so great and respectful.
Pros
good benefits
Calm and productive work environment
Manager, Finance and Administration (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2016
Managed finances for division including accounts payable, funds receivable, banking, credit card reconciliation, month end close process, taxes, and ad hoc projects.

Wonderful location and great people to work with.
Fantastic Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 26, 2016
Even though it was just a seasonal job, it was one of the best jobs I ever had. Everyone was great, the CEO's were really friendly, and the benefits were incredible.
Great work environment; great people; challenging
Manager, Finance and Administration (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 10, 2016
Manages the finance and human resource administration of a artistic division. I collaborate with the CFO, Controller, and department directors on the operations, finance, and accounting, benefits of revenue and human capital.
Pros
laid-back, creative enviornment
The Bright Lights of Museum Shopping in Soho
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day is getting the doors open on time, keeping the store clean and well stocked, and motivating the staff.
Because the sales staff at MoMA is union my biggest challenge was the difficulty in letting (very few) people that weren't happy, go.
There were a lot of corporate managers so the pace was slower than I was used to but they were good people with good ideas.
The hardest part of my job was probably just the usual situations one can find themselves in when dealing with the general public.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere of design objects, great books and the neighborhood.
Pros
The benefits. Being around a lot of pretty things
Cons
Managing a union team can be challenging at times.
Great
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New york, nyOctober 4, 2014
Excellent place to work! Lots of fun, interesting exhibits and outstanding care for their employees.
Great Place to work, room for growth and oppotunity, great staff and leadership
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2014
Provide customer service to all guest, information, guest services, retail services..
Pros
Constantly stimulating, people, art, New York City, ability to learn as I work and appreciate art
Cons
No Cons
What's not to love
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2014
A great place to work especially given the perk of being the first to see exhibits
Dynamic
HR Analyst (Current Employee) –  New york, NYJuly 14, 2014
An interesting company. I work with all employees on various topic and assignments as needed.
Wonderful learning experience
Intern with PopRally (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2013
I am learning a vast amount of information about the museum world and the art world in general. MoMA is an essential resource, teaching visitors about art and culture.
Love the Museum
Exhibition Budget Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2013
By far the best museum to work for in the country, probably due to the unionized employees. Very good environment.
Great place
Retail division Temp position (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 3, 2013
Great people, I had a wonderful time there and learned a lot.
A very fun and loving place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2013
Working in the Museum of Modern Art has been one of the best experiences yet. When ever I got to work, I was always greeted with smiles and hugs and everyone is just very pleasant to work with. I felt comfortable and happy. Even though the museum store can get extremely busy on a daily basis, that did not take away from our patient and friendly manner. The most important thing I learned working at the museum is team work makes the seemingly impossible possible. We all worked as one unit and as a result, we accomplished our goals for the day. The management at MoMA is of top quality. Everything is run smoothly and the manager works really hard with us to make sure that everything functions as how it should be, I would say that there was nothing difficult about the job. Every now and again, I would encounter a temperamental customer but the most important thing is to have a lot of patience and give the customer whatever he wants with a positive attitude.
Pros
There was always food in the lunch area, very friendly people
Fun place to work
Design Product Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2013
Great coworkers
Interact with thousands of tourists
Visually stimulating with great works of art and help visitors have a wonderful experience