Music & Arts Employee Reviews

growing fast, but has lost its way
Executive (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDNovember 14, 2018
good model, but struggling to care for the customer. the Office is pretty cool, and most of the employees are musicians, but the company struggles to meet its goals.
Pros
good pay
Cons
healthcare, complex model
Educational Sales: NOT Recommended.
Educational Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington StateNovember 7, 2018
I worked in Music & Arts' School Services division. I left due to the unreasonable and unsustainable workload, exceedingly poor management, and toxic environment. The position is touted as a way to build relationships and support music in schools through rentals and institutional sales. However, Music & Arts' fundamental inability to deliver on their promises deeply compromises their relationships with the music teachers, schools and school customers they claim to serve. Employees are left to struggle with embarrassing technological issues, ever-increasing challenges and responsibilities, lack of internal support, poor benefits and pay, and ineffectual management. I regret that I did not pursue an alternate career more quickly.
Pros
Freedom to drive company minivan for personal use.
Cons
See review.
A lovely place to kick off my work life!
Seasonal Team member (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJ 07653November 5, 2018
Music & Arts created a family like work place for me. I looked forward to going to my shifts and I enjoyed my time helping out customers. The quick-pace work ethic always kept me on my toes, and made my shifts go by nice and fast. Our manager was understanding and worked around our busy schedules. My co-workers were amazing, and helped teach me quickly and efficiently.
Music & Arts
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 31, 2018
Most of management and supervisor were in clich├ęs. If you didn't fit in there circle they will find ways to get rid of you. Supervisor's don't back you up... If there is a problem within an employee doesn't gets resolved.
Pros
New building and clean place to work
Cons
Management having cliches within the departments
Always on our toes or filling out contracts for rental customers.
Rental Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 29, 2018
This a great environment to work at and all of the people there were nice and caring. I had fun and it was a great work experience. In a typical day i would stock up the back room or fill out contracts and on days that were slow I would need to check on cleaning supplies and starter packs to make sure those items were in order.
Pros
Money, great coworkers
Cons
I am in too small of a market to really "matter" to the company.
School Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Lyndhurst, OHOctober 26, 2018
There is a lot of opportunity on paper, but billing practices are archaic, and I feel their emphasis on constant growth and market takeover detriments the business in my situation.
Pros
Vehicle and resources bountifully provided.
Cons
Too much growth and promises
Management is A+
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GAOctober 25, 2018
Working with Music & Arts is very good for teaching multitasking, networking, and people skills. Overall the management was spectacular, and my coworkers were salt of the earth kinds of people.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short meal breaks
Relaxing and enjoyable
System Administrator Community School (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CASeptember 25, 2018
The IT issues usually can be resolved with a clear expectation of what the technology can do. Relaxing work culture and management understands and treats IT professionals as an equal not a 2nd class citizens to cater to their whims.
Go anywhere but there
Music teacher (Former Employee) –  HagerstownSeptember 19, 2018
Music and arts is not at all interested in fostering music. It is a company that passes along false information just to make a buck. There is a high turmover rate of employees, and they like to put young, unexperienced managers on the stores who will work cheap and just do as told. These managers are often not even musicians. One manager I worked with was told to lie about a product, and so he quit.
Pros
None that I can see
Cons
Not a good selection of music.
Immature management. Individually based monthly goals which where unrealistic
SENIOR SALES ASSOCIATE, GUITAR CENTER (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 18, 2018
The manager was young and immature. Very self absorbed and had no idea how to create a team atmosphere. Technology was antiquated and slow which made for a poor customer experience at times. Scheduling was very inflexible even with 3 months notice. Not a friendly work environment. Very individualized. Did not enjoy going to work everyday.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Schedule and pay.
Great Company. Great Opportunities.
Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXSeptember 7, 2018
Music & Arts provides a great opportunity for employees to advance. The company is constantly growing, offering constantly new advancement opportunities all over the United States. It does not take long to advance if you prove that you are a self-motivated, driven individual who can achieve set goals.
Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VASeptember 4, 2018
My time working at Music and Arts is an experience that'll take with me for the rest of my life. I enjoyed working there, and the friends and I made there I will always remember them. The current management is decent. The boss is okay but he never listens when it come to scheduling.
Pros
discounts
Cons
not so flexible scheduel
Productive work environment.
Lessons Specialist (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDSeptember 3, 2018
Workplace culture is good. Low pay. Advancement is available but can take a long time. Some departments not in sync with other departments so projects can be stalled.
A great place to work if you love to be stressed
SENIOR SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 24, 2018
Typically it was slow at the store, but there were days that the pace picked up. I learned a lot about stringing guitars and more in-depth knowledge of some music instruments. Management was deplorable, the worst I've experienced thus far in my career. The culture was extremely cutthroat, with sales being the only thing that mattered. Often times you would really need to stay on top of your leads as management tended to take sales leads from other workers. The hardest part of the job was dealing with management's hypocrisy. The most enjoyable part of the job was putting smiles on kids faces after they figured out what you were explaining to them about their new instrument or music.
Pros
Working with Music/Kids
Cons
Abhorrent management
Cool or whatever
Senior Sales Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAAugust 17, 2018
Personally, I think it was a great growing experience for me and I enjoyed being the coordinator for our teachers, parents, and lesson students. They do, however, have a s s for benefits and od-high sales goals. My DM was an angel and always made me feel like I was a part of the team. I love the vibes the stores give, no matter where you go. But, unfortunately, the location I was at was ridden with druggies and drunks in the plaza. I and every other colleague have gotten into altercations with said people loitering the block.It made it really hard to sell parents on lessons and our "safe environment."
Pros
teachers, parents, students, commission, above minimum wage
Cons
insurance is sooo high
Saxophone/Clarinet Instructor (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MDJuly 26, 2018
Music and arts is a great place to get started in your music teaching career. But it is hard to acquire enough students in order to make enough money to live on. While I enjoyed working with the students I often found that the hard sales techniques used by the front desk often roped students into lessons who did not really want to be there.
Pros
You are your own boss
Cons
lack of hours
A bit loud when lessons are occuring, but a fun and unique work environment!
Key holder/Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 20, 2018
A typical day at music and arts entailed making sure all lessons were scheduled properly, ensuring that nothing is overlapping. Polishing the instrument wall, doing the occasional minor repair on a woodwind pad or general maintenance on other instruments. I learned a lot about the electronics of musical equipment such as how amplifiers actually work, and about MIDI pads (musical instrument digital interface). The workplace culture was relaxed, but sales were hard to come by due to the lack of foot traffic at the location I worked in, so commissions were a little cut throat. The hardest part of the job for me personally was the aggressive nature customers were handled with; as earlier mentioned, there were not a lot of customers so it was hard at the age I was at the time to assert myself before one of my older coworkers was able to swoop in. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the instruments in the store; getting to see so many beautiful guitars, horns, woodwinds, and even rarely used instruments like mandolin and a 1/8 size cello (comically sized).
Pros
Slow paced environment, lots of time to learn more about the job and store.
Cons
No benefits or pay increases for sales, cutthroat when it comes to commissioned sales.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burke, VAJune 20, 2018
There wasn't much breathing room to advance within the company after my first promotion. The mission of the company is clear, but not followed very well. Overall, it was a fun, easygoing place to work but not somewhere to build a career.
Great skill building
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 7, 2018
Great place to build customer service skills and sales skills. Great starting pay and commission opportunities. Fun working environment. Flexible hours
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No raises
If you love music, this is a good place to work...temporarily
Music instrument retail sales (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 6, 2018
I loved what I did for Music and Arts. I loved helping kids and parents through the process of picking instruments. However, upper management is clueless of what middle management (ex. Store Managers) actually do. In my experience, Store Managers come in late, leave early, and rely on their subordinates to actually do their jobs for them. If you are lucky enough to have a great Store Manager, enjoy the time because they will be moved to another store to boost sales and lessons at the struggling location.

Unless you are willing to re-locate, it is almost impossible to advance past Store Manager, and then you are overworked and under paid. District Managers work long hours, especially through "rental season" and Store Managers are required to work almost every single day during that time from open to close; maybe a Sunday off or two.

If you love music, can play an instrument, are good with people, you will exceed your sales goals if you put just a little effort into it. If you are with a good team, in a competitive district, it's fun to pick on each other after reading the weekly scorecards. The discounts are good, and encompass a few umbrella companies as well. But expect to work lots of nights and almost every weekend.
Pros
Fun environment, gear discounts, many locations
Cons
No room for advancement, anything under Store Manager doesn't have a voice, low pay with minimal room for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Music & Arts. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight