Music & Arts Employee Reviews

Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 15, 2019
The company is forever changing in order to grow, but it's good change. They treat their employees very well and are always willing to go the extra mile for us.
Fun, but can be stressful.
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDFebruary 5, 2019
As a full time employee here, I still had a lot of responsibility. But, the relationships you build with customers and parents is great. When I was promoted to manager, I feel that the stress and responsibility is not worth the pay. A lot is expected of you, and not much reward is received for good work.
Pros
Employee discounts on instruments and product
Cons
Busy schedule, must work weekends
Very Productive and safe enviroment
Vice President of Distribution (Former Employee) –  Frederick MDJanuary 24, 2019
The typical culture at Music & Arts is one of positivity and of course Music! Everyday you are surrounded by music, and the staff at the retail stores, office, distribution, and repair operations passion for it. The management staff does a great job in keeping a positive working environment and fostering growth for both emnployees and the company. Our mission statement of bringing music into peoples lives can't be beat. There is nothing like attending a school band event where students are getting their instrument for the first time and playing it. Pure magic!!
Pros
Growth, good environment, great mission statement
Cons
Days can be long, due to growth travel can take you away for several days
Great entry level part time job for young musician
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJanuary 14, 2019
I came in during a busy time of the year for the store. I had to quickly learn policy and procedure before sales picked up. My first manager was great. Coworkers were wonderful to work with.
Productive and Fun
CONTRACT WRITER (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAJanuary 5, 2019
I enjoyed working here. My manager and co-workers were great and helpful. I worked for them during their busiest time so there was always something to do, which I liked.
Pros
Fast Paced enviroment
Cons
Short breaks
I Felt Valued
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Littleton, CODecember 14, 2018
Pretty much as good as retail gets. The systems are terribly complicated to learn, but once you get it, you have job security, and they promote from within. The customers are really cool people 60% of the year, and you'll learn a lot from them and your co-workers your first 6 months of working there. I've even been invited to be in 2 ensebles while working there. You're expected to have a pretty large availability and they'll schedule you wherever you're needed, but you also have a decent chance at getting one or two days off a month of your choice (as long as everyone doesn't want the same day). If you put effort into follow-up, commission can raise your pay by $1-2/hr, and if you work hard and consistently meet expectations, you should get a general raise and/or promotion within a year.
Make sure you can emotionally handle angry customers if you accept a management position, though. Most of our recurring customers are really cool, but some are long-term situations that don't go away until you do your research and deal with them.
Pros
Atmosphere, variety, raises/promotions
Cons
Irregular schedule, difficult customer situations
Music and Arts
Senior Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Johns Creek, GADecember 13, 2018
Music and Arts is enjoyable most of the time. I love working with my coworkers. A typical day is very hectic. I must work on coordination of lesson program, follow-up with rentals, maintain the store, and focus on sales. Juggling all of these tasks is the most difficult part of the job. I have learned to manage stress and multi-tasking very well.
Pros
management
Cons
high pressure with sales goal; raises based on meeting sales goal
Job has high expectations, but if you like sales, go for it.
Senior Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCDecember 3, 2018
Typical work includes sales/retail, working with rental customers on issues with instruments or payment, and working with lesson students and teachers on scheduling and payment. I've learned a good deal about band and orchestra instruments as well as had great coworkers to work with and bounce ideas for music off of. I've discovered a love of sales here because of great customers that come in that I can sell quality instruments to.
The thing is that the retail workers are always going to be the most customer friendly. Sales support and customer service are often rude towards customers and that leaves us to work out the problems on our own. Given that, there's not a whole lot that the retail workers can do to help customers. I can't think of a single bit of software that Music & Arts has developed that actually works quickly and properly even 60% of the time.
The company distribution centers send stock that's poorly packaged at best, with fragile items such as bassoon or oboe reeds thrown into boxes with large or heavy items, and stores receiving overstock on products that just aren't sold or insufficient amounts of products that are heavily sold. I can't tell you how many times I've had to turn down customers because we didn't have something in stock that we should have had. Customers don't want to order something from our warehouse, and they shouldn't have to if it's a band book and it's August!
Past the store manager, most of the upper managers like to micromanage when they visit stores which gets very annoying. They like to write you up for mistakes that literally anyone
  more... could make because they didn't clearly explain it. Exclusions on discounts and sales are very difficult to follow and keep up with as they can change very quickly.  less
Pros
Decent pay, chance for commission, great coworkers
Cons
Poor logistics, poor customer service out of store
growing fast, but has lost its way
Executive (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDNovember 14, 2018
good model, but struggling to care for the customer. the Office is pretty cool, and most of the employees are musicians, but the company struggles to meet its goals.
Pros
good pay
Cons
healthcare, complex model
Educational Sales: NOT Recommended.
Educational Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington StateNovember 7, 2018
I worked in Music & Arts' School Services division. I left due to the unreasonable and unsustainable workload, exceedingly poor management, and toxic environment. The position is touted as a way to build relationships and support music in schools through rentals and institutional sales. However, Music & Arts' fundamental inability to deliver on their promises deeply compromises their relationships with the music teachers, schools and school customers they claim to serve. Employees are left to struggle with embarrassing technological issues, ever-increasing challenges and responsibilities, lack of internal support, poor benefits and pay, and ineffectual management. I regret that I did not pursue an alternate career more quickly.
Pros
Freedom to drive company minivan for personal use.
Cons
See review.
A lovely place to kick off my work life!
Seasonal Team member (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJ 07653November 5, 2018
Music & Arts created a family like work place for me. I looked forward to going to my shifts and I enjoyed my time helping out customers. The quick-pace work ethic always kept me on my toes, and made my shifts go by nice and fast. Our manager was understanding and worked around our busy schedules. My co-workers were amazing, and helped teach me quickly and efficiently.
Music & Arts
Customer Service Representative III (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDOctober 31, 2018
Most of management and supervisor were in clich├ęs. If you didn't fit in there circle they will find ways to get rid of you. Supervisor's don't back you up... If there is a problem within an employee doesn't gets resolved.
Pros
New building and clean place to work
Cons
Management having cliches within the departments
Always on our toes or filling out contracts for rental customers.
Rental Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAOctober 29, 2018
This a great environment to work at and all of the people there were nice and caring. I had fun and it was a great work experience. In a typical day i would stock up the back room or fill out contracts and on days that were slow I would need to check on cleaning supplies and starter packs to make sure those items were in order.
Pros
Money, great coworkers
Cons
I am in too small of a market to really "matter" to the company.
School Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Lyndhurst, OHOctober 26, 2018
There is a lot of opportunity on paper, but billing practices are archaic, and I feel their emphasis on constant growth and market takeover detriments the business in my situation.
Pros
Vehicle and resources bountifully provided.
Cons
Too much growth and promises
Management is A+
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GAOctober 25, 2018
Working with Music & Arts is very good for teaching multitasking, networking, and people skills. Overall the management was spectacular, and my coworkers were salt of the earth kinds of people.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short meal breaks
Relaxing and enjoyable
System Administrator Community School (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CASeptember 25, 2018
The IT issues usually can be resolved with a clear expectation of what the technology can do. Relaxing work culture and management understands and treats IT professionals as an equal not a 2nd class citizens to cater to their whims.
Go anywhere but there
Music teacher (Former Employee) –  HagerstownSeptember 19, 2018
Music and arts is not at all interested in fostering music. It is a company that passes along false information just to make a buck. There is a high turmover rate of employees, and they like to put young, unexperienced managers on the stores who will work cheap and just do as told. These managers are often not even musicians. One manager I worked with was told to lie about a product, and so he quit.
Pros
None that I can see
Cons
Not a good selection of music.
Immature management. Individually based monthly goals which where unrealistic
SENIOR SALES ASSOCIATE, GUITAR CENTER (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 18, 2018
The manager was young and immature. Very self absorbed and had no idea how to create a team atmosphere. Technology was antiquated and slow which made for a poor customer experience at times. Scheduling was very inflexible even with 3 months notice. Not a friendly work environment. Very individualized. Did not enjoy going to work everyday.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Schedule and pay.
Great Company. Great Opportunities.
Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXSeptember 7, 2018
Music & Arts provides a great opportunity for employees to advance. The company is constantly growing, offering constantly new advancement opportunities all over the United States. It does not take long to advance if you prove that you are a self-motivated, driven individual who can achieve set goals.
Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VASeptember 4, 2018
My time working at Music and Arts is an experience that'll take with me for the rest of my life. I enjoyed working there, and the friends and I made there I will always remember them. The current management is decent. The boss is okay but he never listens when it come to scheduling.
Pros
discounts
Cons
not so flexible scheduel

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Music & Arts. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight