Music & Arts Employee Reviews

A bit loud when lessons are occuring, but a fun and unique work environment!
Key holder/Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 20, 2018
A typical day at music and arts entailed making sure all lessons were scheduled properly, ensuring that nothing is overlapping. Polishing the instrument wall, doing the occasional minor repair on a woodwind pad or general maintenance on other instruments. I learned a lot about the electronics of musical equipment such as how amplifiers actually work, and about MIDI pads (musical instrument digital interface). The workplace culture was relaxed, but sales were hard to come by due to the lack of foot traffic at the location I worked in, so commissions were a little cut throat. The hardest part of the job for me personally was the aggressive nature customers were handled with; as earlier mentioned, there were not a lot of customers so it was hard at the age I was at the time to assert myself before one of my older coworkers was able to swoop in. The most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the instruments in the store; getting to see so many beautiful guitars, horns, woodwinds, and even rarely used instruments like mandolin and a 1/8 size cello (comically sized).
Pros
Slow paced environment, lots of time to learn more about the job and store.
Cons
No benefits or pay increases for sales, cutthroat when it comes to commissioned sales.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Burke, VAJune 20, 2018
There wasn't much breathing room to advance within the company after my first promotion. The mission of the company is clear, but not followed very well. Overall, it was a fun, easygoing place to work but not somewhere to build a career.
Great skill building
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 7, 2018
Great place to build customer service skills and sales skills. Great starting pay and commission opportunities. Fun working environment. Flexible hours
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No raises
If you love music, this is a good place to work...temporarily
Music instrument retail sales (Former Employee) –  TexasJune 6, 2018
I loved what I did for Music and Arts. I loved helping kids and parents through the process of picking instruments. However, upper management is clueless of what middle management (ex. Store Managers) actually do. In my experience, Store Managers come in late, leave early, and rely on their subordinates to actually do their jobs for them. If you are lucky enough to have a great Store Manager, enjoy the time because they will be moved to another store to boost sales and lessons at the struggling location.

Unless you are willing to re-locate, it is almost impossible to advance past Store Manager, and then you are overworked and under paid. District Managers work long hours, especially through "rental season" and Store Managers are required to work almost every single day during that time from open to close; maybe a Sunday off or two.

If you love music, can play an instrument, are good with people, you will exceed your sales goals if you put just a little effort into it. If you are with a good team, in a competitive district, it's fun to pick on each other after reading the weekly scorecards. The discounts are good, and encompass a few umbrella companies as well. But expect to work lots of nights and almost every weekend.
Pros
Fun environment, gear discounts, many locations
Cons
No room for advancement, anything under Store Manager doesn't have a voice, low pay with minimal room for advancement.
I wouldnt work here again
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 1, 2018
It is not a good place to work. They only care about sales stats. They do not care about you as a person. can only advance so far. store manager is as far as you can get with out having to relocate to maryland. managers are not paid to manage. just sell. sell. sell. they do not pay what you are worth. you are horribly underpaid. Only benefit is that the health insurance is pretty good.
Pros
health insurance
Cons
you will die from stress
An OK experience, but a dead end.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 31, 2018
Music & Arts used to be a fairly easy company to work for. They were fair in their set goals and assessments. But everything changed once they changed their computer systems for the entire company. The migration was an absolute failure and as an employee I almost felt that they blamed US for their failures. Even after they "fixed" the systems, the public reputation of the retail store was forever tarnished. They provided little to no help for customers from the office, so all of that responsibility fell on the store associates. Especially the Managers. It was simply not worth the stress involved, and the compensation is not up to par with modern equivalents.
Pros
Sales Management Team, Coworkers
Cons
Corporate Team, High stress sales goals
Work in progress.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Yorktown, VAMay 25, 2018
Music and Arts underwent a remodeling of many of their locations this year. Studios are very nice for teaching and learning..The biggest problem is the people they hire to manage their company.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDMay 22, 2018
Poor management within their Sales Audit Department. Very cut-throat and the workload is overwhelming with zero support. Low morale! The hardest part of the job is trying to satisfy department managerial staff. The typical workday is long hours, unrealistic goals, constantly micro-management, low morale, lots of stress, occasionally unproductive meetings, and expected to perform with a smile.
Pros
You have a job
Cons
Very stressful
Good Company
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 17, 2018
Never had an issue during my years there. There are undoubtedly busy times, but there were also times where it was slow. Management was always fair and balanced.
Neat job
Contract Writer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 1, 2018
It was a lovely job i liked everything about it but I was signed up as a temp employee for the fall and I knew that I just didn't want to leave. I had a good time and enjoyed work there.
Playing the guitars when the store was empty
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAApril 27, 2018
When I would clock in everyone had to do opening procedures. Procedures included setting up lessons rooms, taking out the trash, boot up computers. Greet customers a help them to a lesson room or sell them a product.
Pros
You are surrounded by musician all day its fun
Cons
Sales are the only thing that matters
underpaid and inefficient
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDApril 23, 2018
Music & Arts expects its retail employees to sell above and beyond arbitrarily created sales goals without consistent support. Promotions are from within, which is definitely fair, but there is not enough follow up after these promotions to see if upper management is supporting its staff.
Decent Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAApril 17, 2018
It's an okay position for a starting job. I was able to work during my junior year of high school and be able to add this job to my resume. I would recommend this job if you are a musician.
No work life balance, poor management
Sales Audit (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDApril 9, 2018
*Poor management they don't care about the employee they just care about the quantity of work not the quality, worst place I've ever work at no team building activities, low morale I can go on and on for hours.
Pros
Cons
low pay, poor management, mandatory over time
Customer Service Agent
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDMarch 22, 2018
I am a current customer service rep and the job can be done if you can explain billing and accounting to a 3rd grade level educated adult and employ a "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil".... type of work ethic. You have to be willing to accept that you will be treated like you are ignorant and overlook the same treatment for your coworker at the same time, you have to accept whatever profanity you are spoken to by anyone on the phone with out ever complaining. You can only survive working here if you remember to do that.
Pros
You don't have to share your cubicle.
Cons
No raises, you are treated with less respect for just being a part of Customer Service, you have to be willing to accept that no matter what
Poor Management
Retail and Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCMarch 21, 2018
Poor Management
Faulty CRM/Billing Software
Inconsistent Seasonal Hours
Unavailability of common products
Poor logistical/shipping practices
Good coworkers
Poor communication from corporate on policies
Frequent pay scale changes
Pros
Flexible Hours, Good coworkers
Cons
Low Customer Satisfaction
Too much growth too fast
Manager of Distribution (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMarch 18, 2018
I was always required to meet deadlines that were never based on actual metrics. Many contemporaries would risk their health working so much and having to cut corners to get the job done.
Pros
Company benefits, paid sick, paid vacation
Cons
If you are good at what you do, more and more work
Need better training.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMarch 9, 2018
Training consists of listening in on calls until you feel comfortable talking to them yourself. There is no official training to explain how the billing process works or how to handle even common issues beyond payments. Instead you’re left putting the customer on hold while you look for help understand what is going on. When the call are simple and customers respectful, the job is ok. Most of the other reps are cool and the physical environment is great.
Pros
Understanding supervisors, attempt at morale boosting, laid back atmosphere
Cons
Poor training program
it's a good place to teach music
Guitar Instructor (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAFebruary 28, 2018
I enjoyed teaching at Music and Arts and hope to do so again in the future. The company does a good job of tending to the administrative side of things, such as recruiting students and collecting payment, so that the teachers can focus on teaching.
Pros
a lot of support from staff
Can be stressful but overall worth it
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDFebruary 26, 2018
I've been an employee for the company for almost a year, and it's a very nice place to work if you are physically capable and able to deal with stress easily.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Music & Arts. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3

2.2Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight