Musika Lessons Employee Reviews

No extra benefits
Instrumental Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 5, 2018
The hourly wages are ok but there are no paid vacation days and no paid sick days. I am an independent contractor and have to take care of my own taxes.
Musika is a well managed company
Piano Teacher (Current Employee) –  Braintree and Randolph, MAMarch 19, 2018
I have enjoyed working for Musika, but have found that there is little room for advancement. The management is always dependable, which is a plus. The students I have had have been great, and a pleasure to work with. Overall, it has been positive experience which I have enjoyed.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere, good relationships
Cons
Not enough advancement
Retired Band teacher - works for me!!
Band Director (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 6, 2017
The great thing about teaching locally with Musika is that you can sometimes have 3-4 students on the same block. I mainly travel to a student's house to teach. I am in the process of setting up my studio and look forward to having extra students now that i'll have my own space.
Pros
choose the students you want, no penalty for declining a student lead, 24-hr cancellation policy, payments are consistent and on time
Cons
No compensation for travel expenses or teaching materials, if you don't have a studio you can travel to students for in-home lessons, no insurance benefits being an independent contractor
They get you students!
Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLDecember 6, 2017
I have been an independent contractor with Musika for almost 4 years. I've found that the flexible schedule works to my advantage, and their 24-hour cancellation policy, they stand by that. Raises are not automatic, and may occur based on the instructor's teaching history with Musika. If you are consistently teaching, get student referrals, and do the expected like show up, don't cancel lessons all the time, communicate with your students, and keep your teacher account updated, Musika is generous in increasing compensation at your request. The staff is really helpful, and they always have answers to any questions I have. They are supportive and seem to genuinely care about ensuring the teacher is confident in what they're doing. The process is pretty basic, as you just need to communicate with the students well, and keep your teacher account updated. This company would be beneficial for basically any music teacher, either just starting out, or seasoned and looking to expand their studio. I have no plans to leave this company anytime soon.
New guitar teacher
Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLDecember 6, 2017
Signing up was pretty simple. Company seems great with communicating with teachers, and has a helpful customer service dept. I've already retained several students, and I've only been a teacher in the Musika network for less than two weeks. I'm looking forward to getting tons of students!
Pros
Supportive staff
Cons
No cons so far!
Great company to work for
Guitar Teacher (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CANovember 29, 2017
It's nice that they do all of the marketing and find students for me so I don't have to worry about it. As soon as I have the student's contact info, I set up a trial lesson and go from there. My students are so sweet, and two of my high-school students will be moving out of the area to prestigious full-time college degree music programs this Spring!
Pros
Most students are located in the main metro, whereas I live outside of the immediate area, making it more difficult to find students near me.
Can be great with patience
Music Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 17, 2017
I have been a teacher for a few years now and love being able to make my own schedule. However, I have experienced and heard from students the customer service quality declining over the years. The income scale is no longer advantageous for teachers. There are incentives for teachers to stand out and get more students; teachers just need to invest time and wait patiently to fill up their schedule.
Passionate Music Teacher
Violin Instructor (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 10, 2017
I work f/t as an elementary school music teacher, and in the summers, this company provides a great opportunity to teach students when school is out. Flexible schedule, working from my home studio, and good pay.
Pros
I'm unable to take on as many students during the school year, as my schedule doesn't allow it.
Cons
Offer more frequent payments than monthly.
Flexible schedule, they find the students, students are great!
Violin teacher (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 26, 2017
Enjoyed teaching a variety of styles of guitar to students of all levels and interests. It was an awesome experience to share my passion for music with students who were so perceptive and dedicated. Would highly recommend.
Pros
Good students, fun to teach, decent pay
Cons
Not enough students in my area
Good company for teachers
Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 25, 2017
Musika is a great company for private music teachers. The staff is helpful and professional, and having Musika handle so much of the administrative aspects of teaching, it saves me the hassle of having to deal with that.
Pros
Easy interface, profile attracts more students, can choose which students to teach, have been able to fill my schedule almost completely
Cons
Payments are only once a month, they don't offer direct deposit
I recommend this company to all music teachers looking to pick up more students.
Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXAugust 25, 2017
I work as an independent contractor, so I can maintain more control over my studio. I prefer not to work evenings or weekends, as I have a family, so all of my students have been daytime students. Other than one student not wanting to continue, I have had much success as far as teaching with this company. I would recommend this for any teacher!
Pros
You can set your own schedule, and teach as many students as you want to, and whichever students you want.
Cons
No employee benefits, sometimes students don't stick with lessons
Makes my teaching business easy and enjoyable!
Guitar Instructor (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 28, 2017
They find the students, and I can choose which students I want to teach based on my own schedule and needs. Logging lessons and receiving payments is very easy. There are no fees to join or teach through this company.
Pros
No fees to join or stay on, Musika doesn't take a cut of my earnings
Cons
They charge $15 for a background check, if you choose to get it done through them.
Good!
Piano teacher (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 24, 2017
I was unsure when I signed on to teach with this company. I had never worked for a company like this, and I'd heard not very good reviews of similar companies not having enough students for teachers. Musika always sends me student requests. Some students are too far because I live on the outskirts of town, and there aren't many students within 30 mi of me. But Musika has surprised me by offering quite a few students within my traveling radius. I've been pleasantly surprised with how great this company is.
Pros
Lots of student requests, students are great, I can set my own schedule
Cons
Please add more students in the Newport News area.
Great second job
Piano Instructor (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJuly 12, 2017
I am a performing musician, and often travel for work. The flexibility to set my teaching schedule around my performance schedule allows me to teach more, thus incurring more income. This is a very convenience source of students for any busy musician looking to teach on the side.
Pros
you can keep working for them even if you move or change locations
Cons
I get much too many student requests, and I cannot accommodate them all.
Individualizing Instruction for Skilled Musicians
Instructor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 16, 2017
In my experience, gaining a student was not always so, easy, in fact you really only get what you put into following up with job offers. I was matched twice, only once successfully to a student on my primary instrument.
A lot of students!
Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 24, 2016
I have gotten so many students from Musika. I have been teaching with them for awhile now, and I almost solely teach students through Musika. I have some students of my own that I teach as well, but what I like about Musika is that they deal with the payments and billing! I have found this company to be a great source of income. Would highly recommend!
Pros
Regular payments, helpful staff, they don't take a percentage of my earnings!
Cons
No benefits, but that's to be expected with a 1099
Great way to still work in the music field
Private Flute and Piano Instructor (Current Employee) –  New YorkOctober 10, 2015
Not too many students looking for lessons in my area, but it's nice when there are students to teach. Scheduled is based on yours, so that's nice.
Achieving personal goals with the freedom of expressing individual teaching beliefs.
Private Music Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 21, 2015
Constant growth and development on a day to day basis. Effective online student referral system. Most enjoyable moments include learning and teaching each and every new student.
Good company for working from home
Teacher (Current Employee) –  In my home studioJuly 23, 2015
You're able to set your own schedule and teach from home. This is great for stay-at-home moms or anyone who prefers not to travel. You have the option to travel, and/or teach from your home studio. Online lessons are an option. Great for teachers who want to work for themselves and need more students.
Pros
Flexible schedule, students are great!
Great opportunity for teachers!
Music Teacher (Current Employee) –  DallasJuly 21, 2015
I hate dealing with the billing, and Musika takes care of all of that. I have increased my studio by about 50% since teaching through Musika. I am located in a large city, and can teach in students' homes in the suburbs, so there are a lot of options for me. I highly recommend teachers sign up with this company! The starting rate was slightly lower than what I charge privately, but after teaching for almost 2 years, I have been able to increase my rates and now I'm paid exactly what I charge privately, but I still don't have to find the students or deal with the billing and collections!
Pros
Staff is friendly and knowledgeable
Cons
Compensation paid monthly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Musika Lessons. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3