Mystic Valley Regional Charter School Employee Reviews

1.5Job Security & Advancement
School Culture is Unhealthy
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Malden, MAApril 9, 2019
The school's agenda was constantly prioritized above the students' well-being. Staff morale was horribly low with high turn over rates. Salary benefits were inconsistent among staff. Lots of miscommunication with little accountability. A very rigid environment where the Director openly said, "Students should be seen, not heard" and "We are a mono-cultural school. Multiculturalism is a disease plaguing American school systems" during our professional development meetings.
work review
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 1, 2019
It was nice working at Mystic Valley however, there was a lot of not listening and continuous chatting. Very busy hallways and sometimes the staff wasn't to pleasant. There was one teacher that was absolutely awesome.
Pros
part time
Cons
no days off
unfriendly staff and management, lack of communications
Teacher (Former Employee) –  MaldenMarch 12, 2019
As a certified teacher who worked very hard to get certified, the management had no professional ability to support training or even communicate effectively. You are a number and are rated on who your friends are. The staff mentality is paranoid because it is a back stabbing environment. Nobody can be trusted and the turnover rate speaks for itself.
Pros
working with kids
Cons
not enough respect of teachers who are overworked
Poor management
Teacher (Former Employee) –  MaldenSeptember 3, 2018
The worst educational environment I have ever worked in. If you want to be happy at your job I suggest not working here. The management here is not organized and extremely disorganized. There is no respect for teachers under administration.
Expectations unclear.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Malden, MAJune 26, 2018
The typical day at MVRCS was fast paced. There was a lot to do. I learned a lot from observing my colleagues who were extremely effective with students. As most places, it started out great. Staff was very nice, friendly, and kind. It was enjoyable. The teachers' room had a microwave, a Keurig coffee maker and K-cups, and filtered water free to all employees.

There was not a lot of privacy for teachers; they were bunched up in very close quarters. It was difficult for me to concentrate sometimes when my office mates were chatting with students and other teachers. I felt the confidential nature of our work was compromised, as well, because students were allowed to just walk into the special ed office and hang out. My supervisor, who did not hire me, never seemed to care for me. I would have appreciated some explicit, helpful instruction. Instead, she practically ignored me, but criticized my work sometimes as she stood over my shoulder.

It was difficult to do the job when I didn't understand what I was doing wrong. I worked very hard with the feedback I did get, and made strides, but it didn't seem to matter to the administration. They didn't renew my contract. This was really too bad.
Pros
free coffee, filtered water
Cons
cramped working spaces, faulty communication with supervisor
Great stepping-stone school
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Malden, MAJanuary 23, 2018
Wonderful fellow teachers, Admin knows how to hire, but once in, admin gets in way of working towards positive outcome
Pay is ok, benefits are excellent
School spread across city
Pros
Benefits, coworkers
Cons
Administration, hours
School was rewarding
EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  Malden, MAJanuary 10, 2018
Administration were not educationally qualified personnel it was based on cronyism for the most part, it seemed to be a philosophy of "who you know RATHER THAN what you know" mentality
Pros
walk to school with my children
Cons
length of school year and cancellation policies
poor professionalism in education no pedagogy tools
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Malden, MANovember 13, 2017
The school is totally under the rule of subjetivity. There is an hostiliy in the environment. All in general is fishy, non trustable and unequal with racial matters and rich kids. Awful!! It needs to change. Or close the school and stop public money towards this.
Pros
students are wonderful!! Teachers are too!!
Cons
Administrators very worry about their salaries and not about education. Hyporcrite behavior.
quiet
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Malden, MASeptember 3, 2017
I enjoy working with kids but the lack of management communication was difficult. They did not offer enough hours so as to not have to pay benefits. Position was one that would fit a retired person.
Pros
free parking
Cons
hours, health care, compensation
Micromanagement culture with no self over site component.
Student Information Administrator (Former Employee) –  Malden, MAJuly 26, 2014
The worst educational environment in which I have ever worked. Teachers are treated like minions and the students are treated like dirt.The board of directors have ensconced themselves in their position with no provisions for open elections like a traditional public school committee. Essentially the members have that position "for life". The board members use students to help in their own political campaigns in exchange for required "community service" hours.