Nalco Champion, an Ecolab Company Employee Reviews

Good for experience, but that's it.
Technical Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 10, 2018
Nalco turnover ratio is extremely high. There is no structure to the training given. Everyone is expected to know everything but the time you see your first customer. For a job that take almost your entire time, they talk so highly about "work/life balance". I was working all over Souther California leaving the house as early as 4am and not getting home until 11pm most of the time. The management was very disorganized. When I worked at Nalco, I was told the average Service Engineer would have about 11 customers where you do monthly visits. This was the case in the beginning, then I ended up taking my Area Supervisor's customers and some of my District Mangers customers. By the end of my time with Nalco I had over 20 customers spread all over Southern California.
Pros
Experience and chemical training
Cons
low salary for amount of hours worked. poor Upper Management Support. stressful
Fun and Rewarding
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Weatherford, OKJanuary 15, 2019
Nalco is a company dedicated to its employees. I was able to learn extensive knowledge in the chemical industry due to their continued focus on developing employees and the management they have in place
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Cant think of any
Not a bad place to work but no real advancement opportunities
Chemical Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 29, 2018
People are great but the company is dependent on the health of the industry it serves so its in a constant state of Flux. No real room for advancement and never have money for raises.
Great coworkers
Maintenance and Projects Manager (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJanuary 30, 2018
I really enjoy the coworkers, but management is totally clueless. As much as they tout safety, they are constantly putting a price tag on it. Promotions from within are very rare, unless you belong to the "good ol boy club". Managers are hired from the outside and they have to be trained so this means that those directly reporting to them will be doing their job for them. Benefits are okay--pretty much industry standard--and the 401(k) is great. For the most part, I enjoy my time there, but like the saying goes, good employees leave because of bad managers and I'm just waiting for the perfect time to leave.
Pros
Great employees.
Cons
Backstabbing is starting to be come prevalent, Very little promotion from within, Management is out of touch and can't make a decision on much of anything.
love the company just not enough pay for the area cost of living
Production Technician (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 12, 2018
needs pay adjustment to reflect cost of living, working there is a great place and being part of the brand. suppose to be on a dupont schedule and they cant because short handed because people leave because the pay hasnt raised in years
Been a positive experince
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXOctober 28, 2018
Nalco Champion, an Ecolab Company has allowed me to start my career as a computer operator and advance my employment to manage a chemical facility in West Africa.
Pros
great people and opportunities to those who work hard
Cons
pay for longer term employee's is not as good as new hires in similar roles.
Good place to gain experience
Chemical Operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2018
Nalco is a good place to gain experience but should not be used as a permanent career. There is no room for raises or bonuses, unsafe work environments present themselves daily
Pros
Good People, room for overtime
Cons
Communication gaps between management and the operators, no room for advancement but are expected to work a job your not paid for.
good growth company
Senior Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXDecember 4, 2018
- good work life balance
- very good training program
- not very good insurance plan
- good start place for entry level
- fluctuate greatly with oil and gas industry
Shift Work Ruins Your Social Life
Quality Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJuly 27, 2018
Working in the lab is not too bad other than the adjusting to the culture of the lab. The shift work takes a load on you. We are expected to have 14 days off a month but probably really on see 7 of those days due to the mandatory overtime. Although, overtime does increase your paycheck quite drastically.
Pros
Free Lunches on Wednesdays
Cons
Can only take a 30 minute break away from this place. Mandatory overtime.
An excellent company for experience
Supply Chain Manufacturing Co-Op (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXAugust 6, 2018
I started work usually at 7:30 am. I learned a lot about different things regarding the fluidity of company operations. I ran the BOX MRP (bulk materials). I also did a lot of data analysis regarding cost mitigation and efficiency of processes. Management was amazing and understanding yet strict. The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers. The culture there breeds leaders and will to succeed.
Fair treatment. Very stressful in regards to safety
Driver/ delivery specialist (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMOctober 9, 2018
Good job, but as is the case in the oilfield boom or bust .... adding to stress. Because the nature of the job, safety is first and foremost which also can be very stressful and requires constant diligence!
Pros
Fairly treated
Cons
Lack of Job security in this gas field
Local management is great
Ops/Sales (Current Employee) –  DickinsonNovember 26, 2018
Local management was awesome and understanding. Rules only apply if you’re not in a power position, side skirting corporate policies. Always looking for scapegoats to place blame on for their mistakes.
Pros
Local managers
Cons
Corporate bs as usual, rules don’t apply to them.
Great company culture
Training Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXJune 19, 2018
Great company culture and work environment at Nalco Champion- hard work is noticed and employees are compensated accordingly. Could improve upper management.
Pros
paid time off
Cons
oil and gas is an unpredictable market - job security
Very fast past but received great support and empowerment to make decisions.
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXOctober 7, 2018
Good company but very fast pace to meet customers demand. Since it services the oil and gas industry,emergencies occurs throughout the regular business days, weekends and holidays that which sometime can be difficult to manage.
Pros
Able to work from if need be due to bad weather or sick child.
Cons
Health care insurance is not all that great.
Work is steady
Operations Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Weatherford, OKJanuary 22, 2018
Job wise this is a good job, There has been issues with Management at times, Schedules are not bad. Deal with chemicals so there is always a high priority on safety and equipment reliability.
Pros
good benefits, Vacation and sick time, off most weekends.
Cons
Communication at lower level management
Ambiente de trabajo donde puedes escalar posiciones y crecer tanto como profesional como persona
Especialista Técnico (Former Employee) –  USA, Mexico y Sur AméricaOctober 30, 2018
Cultura laboral amena, en ambiente de equipo, siempre enfocado en la resolución del problema y no en el problema en si mismo.
Las oportunidades para aprender algo nuevo, se presentan cada día, lo que hace apasionante el trabajo.
Nalco Champion fue mi escuela en términos laborales y profesionales.
Good Place to Work
Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Monahans, TX 79756March 5, 2018
Overall it was a good place to work. A lot of good benefits and the manger I worked with took care of his employees. The safety was very important to them also.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Low pay
Fast past competative and challenging
District Representative (Current Employee) –  Dickinson, NDNovember 5, 2017
Great people, great culture and the company really cares about its employees. The job itself is very demanding and not for the faint of heart. If you like job security and working with the best, if you enjoy fast passed and challenging work environment than this is the place for you.
Pros
Great people, good benefits, good pay.
Cons
On call all the time, constantly working high stress.
Collaborative Environment, Values Employee Development
Intern (Current Employee) –  Sugar Land, TXMarch 4, 2018
As an intern, I was allowed to work on several projects that directly impacted my department and supported the organization. I was encouraged to talk with directors and even got to meet the President of the company and the VP of HR. I was given a mentor and my manager was the farthest thing from micromanaging. She guided me on the completion of my project but never told me that I had to do things her way. All the directors fully supported interns taking training (which cost the company) and asking questions. The culture here is great, way better than any other place I interned. Usually, when you hear that an environment is family oriented you run because that means there is no work-life balance but managers are very supportive of their employees. I do believe there may be some disconnect between other departments and there could be some more collaboration between the HR department. Often times there is a communication problem as well, that definitely needs to be streamlined.

On campus, there is an onsite cafe and coffee shop. There is a game room with foosball, ping pong, air hockey and darts. Lots of meetings and I often see executives chatting with employees.
Pros
culture, managers, training
Cons
communication
Great Company - Tough Time
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2016
This is a great company to work for. Everyone is highly engaged in succeeding and though the company is transitioning still after being purchased by Ecolab and the merging of Nalco & Champion, the culture is truly building into an environment where people want to care about each other's development. Management is trying to promote this culture, and hopefully it succeeds.

Management has hard expectations from corporate, which leads to a high stress environment, but I cannot think of any large publicly owned corporation that doesn't have this.
Pros
Good management, salary, innovative company, great CEO
Cons
Stressful environment at times, Some long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nalco Champion, an Ecolab Company. Our community is ready to answer.