Naper Settlement

Naper Settlement Employee Reviews

United States9 reviews
Staff are talented and caring, yet often underappreciated by management and leadership. A smaller history museum trying to do too much with too little.
Pros
Being a City employee with benefits
Cons
Museum needs direction and guidance to grow and succeed.
The company is good for kids looking to get experience in working with kids. Its a good start for kids looking into educational stuff especially history. There's a lot of downtime depending on the day and it's pretty laid back.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Long periods of time alone
As a summer intern, I had a chance to do a wide variety of things. Great experience! Wonderful supervisor. Fun position with opportunities to learn a great deal. Worked in events, marketing and helped at Naper Nights.
Pros
Nice staff, great location
Cons
Internship was too short Wish there were more opportunities for full time positions.
I felt very respected at the settlement. We worked well together and it was a fun job. I learned the history of the settlement, how it was created and moved to it's current location, and that the chapel was built in 1864. The hardest part was keeping the schedule tight and getting parties out in time for the next group. Trying to clean up on time for next service. Meeting wonderful people, pastors, organists, florists, Naperville elite. and I was so proud of a place the means so much to our town. I felt very proud to have a key to every building within the Settlement. Management and workplace were very professional and we worked well together.
Pros
Having unusual job helping others on their big day
Cons
Scheduling and keeping weddings on time and cleaning
Abuse of power. Sanctioned psychological harassment of employees. Employee advancement and career development uneven. Lack of mission related programming.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
it was more of a volunteer work, not a job. I didnt really mind the fact it was so long but I lost my voice after that weekend from haing to scream so much.
Pros
fun, knew the people
Cons
took a long time
I started because I love history and it seemed like a great opportunity for a young girl. I had a lot of fun when I started but the management changed as time went on, and it got more frustrating to deal with. Still totally doable, not necessarily ideal for a non paid volunteer position.
No opportunities for advancement. Micro management was the name of the game at this organization. The entire department left within a 1 year period.
Friendly work environment, special events and programs. I have learned some interesting pieces of history in a unique way. The collections are amazing.
Pros
hours can be flexible, beautiful grounds, downtown Naperville
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Naper Settlement. Our community is ready to answer.
2.4