Naperville Park District Employee Reviews in Naperville, IL

a good "first job" company
Archery Instructor (Former Employee) –  Naperville, IL 60540January 29, 2019
Naperville Park District is a good company for hiring teens and others for their first job. the jobs are good for teaching those to the workforce about the attitude needed and work schedules etc. People get to work and help out in the community as well.
Productive and awesome work environment
Umpire (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 17, 2019
I absolutely loved my time as an umpire for the Naperville Park District. It was one of the most enjoyable summers of my life. I am so glad that I had the privilege of enjoying this wonderful opportunity as umpire for baseball.
Pros
Awesome salary
Cons
Steaming weather
Terrible place to work for adults
Naperville Park District Staff (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 21, 2018
If you are a kid, this is a great place to work because your whole life is ahead of you and you will shortly finish school and go somewhere else.

If you are an adult, this is a terrible place to work. Find someplace else. Middle management has no idea what they are doing. The pay is very low for the tasks, knowledge, and experience you are expected to provide. Your more experienced co-workers will ride you constantly, even after you have a few years under your belt. The managers let the more experienced co-workers get away with murder, but heaven help you if you make a tiny error.

Lets say that you start off at $9 an hour. They give 25 cent raises after a year. But new folks they hire? They'll pay $10 an hour. It'll take you four years before you start making what the new person is making, even though you've had a few years of experience and they have zero experience.

Want more time to work? Good luck, maybe you'll get 15-20 hours but they aren't giving full time to anyone except high end managers. Don't buy their promises of promotion, it will never happen.

Management is proud that they have not paid any unemployment compensation claim - because they make people they don't like so miserable that they quit. In fact, they work with a company that teaches them how to do this. In one department not one of their new hires lasted more than 2 years.

The work environment is toxic. Your co-workers will lie about you to get you in trouble and to get rid of you.

The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the visitors and guests.

The most difficult part
  more... of the job is dealing with your sullen and angry co-workers.

You've been warned. Don't work here.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Terrible management. No benefits.
People were very friendly
Chess Instructor (Current Employee) –  NapervilleDecember 10, 2018
great group of student. Teaching was really easy with students signing up who wanted to learn about the game of chess. Supervisor was very kind always a pleasure to work with.
Loved the kids
Camp Councilor (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 7, 2018
The children at camp were the only reason why I worked there, they are joyful and engaging... our personalities meshed well. I would only go back if they offered me room for advancement.
Pros
Kids, fun atmosphere with children
Cons
Poor compensation, management, snobby atmosphere
Fun to work with kids your own age
Basketball Referee (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 1, 2018
I liked working with kids that were my age and that they were easy to talk to. Although it is a fast paced job, I was able to manage it well. The only downside is that breaks were short and that you had to get right back to work.
Pros
park district benefits
Cons
short breaks
Great place to interact with customers
Customer Service Associate I (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 2, 2018
This was a great place to meet and greet new people. It was good to get to know the regular members. There was various job responsibilities to learn which made the position interesting.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Not enough projects or assignments to fill the work shift.
Good job not a ton of hours
Gymnastics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILNovember 5, 2017
It was a very fun job. Enjoyed working with the kids. But due to the nature of only teaching classes there wasn't a ton of hours. On afternoons the most you could get was 2.75 hours and then saturday mornings were 5 hours. It's a great job if you love working with kids and aren't looking for a ton of hours. The coordinator of gymnastics at the park district right now is organized, sociable, and makes a great boss.
Ok place until you find anything better
Customer Service Associate, Community Relations (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 6, 2017
Low pay, almost no chance of advancement, getting more hours is virtually impossible. People with no skills will be hired in higher positions than you from outside, instead of allowing for promotion from within. Annual review was 2 months late, and a laughable 25 cents an hour. Making suggestions to management often results in retaliation.

Fellow co-workers like to give you hard time and sabotage you so that you have little chance for advancement. Full time employees will force you into doing all the work while they sit back and do nothing or very little.

They want you to make decisions, and then slam you for making decisions. You can't win.

"Full-Time" is 30 hours.
Pros
Nice customers and visitors
Cons
Management, Co-workers, policies, pay
Fun team work
Customer Relations (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJuly 6, 2017
Enjoy working with all the team to serve the customers.
We do our best to provide a private country club product for a public run golf course.
Great managers and fellow employees. Enjoy the benefit of free golf and out in the fresh air.
Pros
Free golf
Cons
Hot humid days
Great place to start for a first job
Front Desk Attendant (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 26, 2017
Great place to start for a first job. Very flexible for students schedules. I worked in many departments within the park district, it was a lot of fun.
Pros
kind people, easy to work with, flexible schedules
Cons
N/a
It's a job but not some place to call home
Park Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Naperville ILJune 14, 2017
The culture at the Naperville Park District is friendly if you're not concerned with putting down roots. It is a place that practices a sort of dysfunctional though controlled chaos.

My manager in particular was a nice guy. He was really caring and genuinely concerned for your well being.

The upper Management was a little on the Micro-Management scheme of things. Much time is spent catering to upper-mangements whims while also trying to maintain some as semblance of a normal work day.

It is not a toxic workplace. Just a little politically challenging. There are some good people there who have been through the wringer over the years.

The key to success there is flexibility.
Pros
Light on pressure
Cons
Hard to get a full time gig there
Naperville Park District gymnastics job
Gymnastics Coach (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMay 27, 2017
Very clean and save environment for all ages, the job could be stressful at times but very relaxed enviornment. Only con to this job would be the low work hours, and getting sick due to the amount of kids.
Loved it
Umpire (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJanuary 30, 2017
Working here was easy and fun and I can't wait to do it again. Very easy hours and quite fulfilling to help out the younglings.
Great learning opportunities and great staff
Park Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 29, 2016
Good balance at work with great full time employees. Lots of opportunities to apply for advancement in the work place. Definitely a great job for those who enjoy getting to work outside with a wide variety of duties.
Great work enviroment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 29, 2016
I love working there everyday. Not much more to say. My coworkers are always willing to help and be there for me. Whenever I need time off, they are always willing to give it to me. The hardest part of the job is just sometimes stress.
fun work environment
Cashier and Runner (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILApril 24, 2016
fun work environment where you prep food, serve to patron at Centennial Beech, and clean up at the end of the shift. Make sure that food is up to quality and keep the environment clean
Beautiful Parks and Atmosphere, but needed Improvement
Park Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 2, 2015
Great place to Work, except Employees have constantly witnessed issues that SERIOUSLY NEED to be addressed, involving Management of the Central Division. These issues involve Harassment and Safety, and include an Unprofessional and Insecure Atmosphere. The Conditions in this specific Division are Horrific and Unfair! Employees who work very hard, are treated unfair vs. the Employees who constantly do nothing and waste Tax Payers Dollars, and are rewarded by the Central Division Manager. This specific Manager, unlike the others, in other Divisions, sits on their butt and wastes valuable time and does not listen to the reputable Employees, about issues that need to be Addressed.
This Manager disappears for hours, without informing Employees. This Manager sets Employees up for Failure, if they are not liked by him. This Manager knowingly sends Employees out in the Field, Operating Unsafe Equipment and doesn't provide additional Help for Employees Operating Equipment that needs more than one Employee.
Pros
Great Environment, Great Employees who take Pride their Jobs
Cons
Harrassment and Unfair Management only in the "Central Division"
Fun workplace
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 3, 2014
Lots of work to do. Very friendly work environment. I only worked as a seasonal so I can't speak for full-time.
Fun workplace, great Team Effort
Soccer Referee and Softball Umpire (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILJune 12, 2013
I was a soccer referee and softball umpire. I loved working with younger children and watch them grow. I taught them morals, rules and how to be a good team player.
Pros
Watching kids play sports