Nassau Boces Employee Reviews

lots of young people
6th grade math teacher (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, NYApril 13, 2018
i enjoyed my time in Nassau BOCES. It didnt last long I was a temporary hire and i wished i could have stayed on but the commute was excessive. I needed something closer to home.
Pros
well stocked cafeteria
Cons
breaks were very short
I truly enjoyed working in the summer program
Second Grade Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYApril 8, 2018
I only worked for a part time summer program however I did enjoy it very much. The students were fine about being there in the summer and seemed to enjoy working and review skills taught throughout the school year.
Great place to work! Fabulous staff and students.
Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYApril 6, 2018
I look forward to going to work every day! The staff and the students are great!! It's a job that is very rewarding. Knowing that I'm making a difference in a child's life means the world to me.
It pays, but you're a cleaner
Part Time Laborer (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYMarch 5, 2018
Not in every school will you be dealing with Special Needs children, but there a some schools that the company runs just for Special Needs. The job itself entails regular janitorial duties, however, you'll notice that some people who hold the much higher roles in the company are, to say, questionable, when it comes to how they do their job.
NB day
Senior IT Account/ Project Manager (Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYSeptember 13, 2017
Management was great
people are great
culture is great
hours are great
travel time is the worst
no paid time off
restricted by management to what you can do
Pros
hours and people
Cons
No paid time off
Enriching career
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYSeptember 11, 2017
I've been working here for nearly 20 years as a teaching assistant. There have been many changes over the years most of them positive . It's a challenging but rewarding experience to work here
Pros
Supportive coworkers and supervisors
Cons
No merit based increaseslong
Senior Typist Clerk (Temporary Assignment) (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYAugust 29, 2017
Nassau BOCES is a very culture oriented work place. They environment is relaxed and teamwork is very important. The employees will go out of their way to help you.

No matter what your position at Nassau BOCES, you will be treated with the utmost respect. It is very important to them that you are social and continue to be involved with the office culture.
Pros
Great for people who want to be deeply involved in office culture, family oriented, friendly environment
Cons
Not good for introverts
Supportive On All Ends
Account Clerk (Current Employee) –  Wantagh, NYAugust 1, 2017
Nassau BOCES is a non-profit organization giving support to disabled students. I am the Account Clerk and have many different jobs. From accounting, attendance, asset management and purchasing; I have many different jobs. Everyone is supportive in getting the job done.
Summer school for special ed adolescents with many fun activities.
Teacher Aide (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Seaford, NYJuly 27, 2017
Working at Nassau BOCES really gave me an understanding for my adaptability. With multiple personalities and disorders within the same classroom, I was able to understand how to adapt to the variations between the students. This job was extremely rewarding and it was great to give back to the community!
nice atmosphere
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  variousMay 3, 2017
people are nice to work with. the atmosphere can be hectic at times depending on where you work and who are you are working with. the people make the days go by quickly.
Making a difference working with children
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYMay 1, 2017
Every year I was assigned a student to work one on one with . Loved making him smile. Taught him the value of money and how to shop and pay a cashier. Helped with reading. All kids had a learning disability. Every day contact with parents on childs progress
Pros
Free lunches, school trips, choice to work summers
Cons
Very productive and fun environment
Web Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Garden City, NYMarch 27, 2017
I really enjoyed working at Nassau BOCES. I was hired as a web developer intern during my final semester at Farmingdale State College. I got to learn a lot of things and people were helpful and friendly. Had a great time.
productive and a good work place. Its a good placement to gain experience in the field of ABA
Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  Bellmore, NYDecember 9, 2016
Boces is a good school to work for. Its a fun and safe environment and also s good learning experience. The teachers and administration care for the students we serve. The student population we serve is mainly children ages 5-9 on the autistic spectrum but we do serve children with other disabilities as well.
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Nassau County, NYSeptember 19, 2016
Was a lot of fun and a great experience but it is time to move on. Hoping to get a fresh start in something new. Overall was a great and fulfilling job to have.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Not conducive to allergies
Perfect
Student Worker/Editor (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYAugust 20, 2016
This place was a good experience gainer. This was a student internship program to help get some experience into video production and it really helped a lot.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wantagh, NYAugust 5, 2016
Wonderful employees working together with one goal in mind. To help the special need children/Adults lead productive lives. Most enjoyable part is the camaraderie of adults and the personalities of some of the students. Worst part of the job are the major injuries at times and the strong aggression from some of the students.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
No contract for a long time
Interesting
Teacher Aide (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYApril 6, 2016
I work with special education children who have various developmental and emotional issues. These are troubled teens and this year middle school was introduced into this program.

The job is interesting in that a rapport can be built with some of the more "difficult" children, and when that happens, you as an adult, try to reach them in whichever way you can.

There are a few students who know that when they see me, they need to come over and give me a hug or a fist bump, which ever they choose.

I try each and every day to show these children love and to treat them as I would like to be treated; with respect and love. The hardest part is when the children have a melt down and fight or their home lives cause them to miss school or injure themselves.

I have learned that not all parents are meant to be parents.
Fun
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Westbury, NYFebruary 13, 2016
This is a trade school. I enjoyed myself a lot. met new people around my age from different schools. There would arguments here and there.
Pros
food was good
Cons
some days are boring
very upbeat friendly enviorment
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Locations Varied. All schools in Long IslandDecember 10, 2015
This was one of my favorite jobs. I worked in Children Readiness Center, one of the schools as a Teachers Assistant. My immidiate co-workers were all amazingly nice and we all worked so well together. The kids suffered from mainly autism. A constant eye needs to be kept on them all, not just the one-to-one's. I worked during the summer of 2015. Whenever I come back home from school i always have a job here as long as there is school.
Pros
Co-workers makes job easier
Cons
summer coordinator was awful
Parent-Child Home Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Westbury, NYSeptember 22, 2015
I work as a consultant, I have seen very compromised co-workers. It has a good environment to work. There is supportive management. You learn from your supervisor and they participates you in important decisions.