National Ability Center Employee Reviews

No two days will be the same
Adaptive Ski Instructor (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTJune 11, 2019
I really enjoyed my time working with the National Ability Center. All of my coworkers and supervisors had a really positive outlook on life and it was easy to feed off of their enthusiasm. There may be challenging days but there are way more days where you have a blast and can just go home feeling good about what you do.
Pros
Free ski pass
Cons
Very physically demanding
Endless Downward Spiral
Admin (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTFebruary 4, 2019
I’m amazing this organization can continue to support our participants. The overall management of the NAC is a mess. Employee turnover rate is exceptionally high and unsustainable. Hours are terrible and and compensation is unlivable.
Pros
Great mission and programs
Cons
Divide between management and staff, low compensation, terrible holiday structure, no overtime
Internship
Recreational Therapy Intern (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTJanuary 28, 2019
This was a great summer internship. I learned about several adaptive ways to teach people of all abilities levels in several fun outdoor environments.
There is no place like the NAC!
Admin Staff (Current Employee) –  Park City, UTNovember 13, 2018
The NAC is an amazing place to work. It is full of smart, collaborative, innovative, and of course adaptive individuals that truly want to make a difference. The culture is fun - filled with the spirit of the outdoors mixed with a “can-do” attitude. While not immune to common non-profit issues of limited resources and lofty goals, the NAC is recognizing their growth and addressing solutions. Staff is always willing to put in the extra mile to brighten the day and remove barriers for participants facing circumstances and challenges in their every day life that most of can’t imagine. There is never a challenge too great and the rewards of making a difference are endless! We are a place where individuals can go when there is truly nowhere else - and that’s an amazing thing to be part of.
Pros
Mission, staff, location, seeing the world is still full of good
Cons
Fast-paced - it that’s not for you
Organization with a wonderful mission
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Park City, UTAugust 8, 2018
This organization has a wonderful mission and dedicated employees but lacks in a positive work environment. Hopefully this organization will move in the right direction for its employees.
Pros
Mission Driven
Cons
Challenging hours, inflexible schedules, poor culture
Great Cause, Major Divide Between Upper Management & Program Staff
Program Staff (Former Employee) –  UtahNovember 14, 2017
Working with participants on a daily basis is extremely fun and rewarding. However, there is a lot of disorganization and lack of leadership coming from upper management, especially the CEO and program director. There are major communication issues between those in upper management positions and/or on the board and those who actually work with participants on a daily basis and execute the programs. Leadership does not see the value of well-trained, experienced, and certified employees. They would rather have volunteers do as much as possible, resulting in inconsistent programming. There is no room to advance career-wise and they are unwilling to pay for the necessary (and expensive) certifications for the job. Lastly, when complaints are brought to their attention (resulting in many staff quitting), management responded with excuses rather than asking/determining what needs to be done in order to fix the issues at hand.
Pros
Working with participants is amazing & rewarding, getting to be outdoors
Cons
Everything else
Broken culture / Poor leadership
Management (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTMay 19, 2017
National Ability Center mission is amazing! Unfortunately, top leadership's ego has surpassed mission. The culture is extremely negative with very high turnover (over 50% in two years). There is no work/life balance, expectations are intense, and performance is never enough for CEO.
Great Mission - Find your Purpose
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTApril 10, 2017
Mission focused organization which empowers individuals of all abilities by building self esteem, confidence and lifelong skills through recreation, sport and educational programs.
The perfect job with an amazing culture and outreach.
Accountant/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Park City, UTMarch 13, 2015
The NAC is a non-profit that helps people with all types of disabilities learn new life skills, build confidence and enjoy previous hobbies and sports by recreating with adaptive equipment and professional coaching. I walk passed an amazing 35 foot rocking climbing wall on my way to my desk everyday. A typical day includes recording, forecasting and posting financial information pertinent to the development and advancement of the organization. We are a unique group of individuals with many talents. Combined we have doubled our budget in the last 5 years and continue to increase in services provided. I couldn't be happier with the place I work at. Everyone is always in a good mood and enjoys what they do. Its incredible! I have an excellent manager, CFO, that has taught me by example many great skills to be successful and highly efficient in my work. The hardest part of my job is realizing that I will not be able to continue working there due to a new custody agreement with my wife's children. We are relocating to Pocatello to be closer to them.
Pros
100% Medical Benefits paid by employer, free rentals of all outdoor sporting equipment, highly educated and experienced staff, fun environment, a budget to cover all needs, and a great experience seeing our organization change lives.
Cons
Zero, I love this job!
Amazing program with amazing people
Recreation Therapy Short Internship (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTSeptember 23, 2014
The National Ability Center is the best program for it's participants and staff. It has amazing opportunities and staff culture.
Pros
Staff culture and support
Cons
Long communte
Very inspirational program
Developmental/Marketing Director (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTSeptember 16, 2014
I loved being a part of the National Ability Center team. One of my all-time favorite jobs. However, we moved to Nashville, TN in 1995 (for 5 years) due to my husband's job change.
Positive Impact on People's Lives
Marketing & Outreach Manager (Former Employee) –  Park City, UTMay 9, 2013
The National Ability Center provides opportunities for individuals with disabilities and their families to discover abilities and ways of doing things many of them didn't think possible. The enjoyment of helping individuals grow and overcome major physical and cognitive challenges in their lives was rewarding and well-worth the effort.
Pros
Beautiful location, personally rewarding, wonderful program staff