National Alliance on Mental Illness Employee Reviews

Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 7, 2018
Great organization with goodhearted people who work hard to help people with mental illnesses. It can be a little difficult being exposed to all the challenges mentally ill people deal with, but it gives you a better understanding of their lifestyle. Volunteer shifts are usually 4 hours long, and are spent answering the national HelpLine to give out resources to people.
Great for family and consumers as well.
CPS Advocacy (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2018
Assertive culture with a stressful atmosphere. Different people are treated differently. Enjoyed the many events that took place throughout the year.
Pros
great programs
Cons
not enough trained staff members
Loved working here
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WADecember 4, 2018
Great place to work and grow as an individual. I learned a lot working here and am glad I did so. NAMI is a non-profit so they couldn't afford to pay me what I was worth but they did what they could. Overall I love NAMI and miss working there.
Caring and supportive
Facilitator & Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 30, 2018
NAMI CVA is very good on supporting and guiding their volunteers. Their brochures and training is par-excellence above none. I am glad to be a part of their culture.
Pros
Great organization to be a part of.
Cons
Nothing to say
Work envirnoment filled with individuals passionate about advocating for mental health.
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Beaver, PAAugust 21, 2018
The beaver affilite is full of individuals passionate about advocating for mental health as well as a support system for all who attend meetings/educational sessions.
Position was an at home freelance position
Freelance Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMay 7, 2018
Overall, the job position was fine, they requested multiple designs for their upcoming events to be executed. No more than maybe 20 hours of design work per week. This position helped improve my skills in info graphics. The most enjoyable part was the free range I had in ultimately deciding what would be on said flyer.
Pros
Free Range on Design
Cons
Management terrible
Excellent resources for those living with mental illness and their families.
QPR Gatekeeper Instructor (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 19, 2018
NAMI is a fantastic place to find support, advocacy and education on a variety of mental illness issues. I am a speaker as well as a Board Member for the NAMI Long Beach affiliate.
Non-profit stigma awareness and knowledge through discovery/recovery
Peer-to-Peer Mentor and IOOV Presenter (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VaMarch 24, 2013
Currently I am co-mentoring a 10 week class every Sunday. The course is called Peer-to-Peer and it is a relaxed, fun, learning experience for everyone. I also work as an In Our Own Voice public speaker. I have spoken at mental health hospitals, high schools, police departments, and to the public. I had the experience of speaking at the Nami Walk Rally to over 300+ people. I love who I work with and enjoy every minute of giving back through Nami.
Pros
good pay, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
no full time positions or benefits
Mundane and slow
VOLUNTEER & INTERNSHIP (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMay 22, 2018
As a whole I like the NAMI organization, I just felt the Antelope Valley Affiliate is lacking progression and room for new ideas and growth. Also need more staff available to assist the public.
Pros
Mental Health Education
Cons
Not alot of people coming into office
A great experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 4, 2014
Preparing for their annual 5k walk fundraiser, I learned that NAMI uses people with mental illness to work within there organization, My supervisor was great and shared information freely as we worked. I think that the hardest part for me was not being able to work as much as I would have liked to. The best part for me was that I was able to do the childrens booth during the walk.
Pros
A great learning experience
Cons
I did not spend enough time there
Therapeutic and Rewarding
Inter-Club Council Representative (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 21, 2018
I am a mental health speaker who goes out into the community and shares personal stories and provides general information on resources. The job is rewarding in many ways which is why I have worked there as a volunteer for over 10 years.
Pros
the places and the people, real life experience
Cons
not enough hours
Supportive and Productive internship
Intern (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 3, 2017
Workplace is extremely helpful and full of respect. It is a pleasure to go to this internship each day, despite no compensation.
Pros
Respect, Flexible
job
Call Agent (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSMarch 22, 2015
they don't give you the benefits that you deserve. they pay you 7.25hr, when you start they hold back a month and when you leave they don't pay you for that month
Pros
dont pay right
Cons
Great organization to volunteer at
Volunteer Support Group Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 26, 2017
I have had an overall great experience in all my involvement with this org. NAMI was a great place to kick-start my career. I learned a lot during support groups including how to lead/facilitate groups myself. I also got connected to valuable community resources through this organization.
Pros
Good experience for facilitation groups
Cons
Not a strong source of income
Volunteer
Campus Representative (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDJanuary 19, 2018
I was a volunteer here while I was attending college to receive my Associates Degree. When not volunteering at the office I was running the NAMI ON CAMPUS Club at my college to bring awareness about Mental Health.
Pros
Excellent work place
slow paced and quiet place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCFebruary 7, 2018
managed files, answered phones, volunteered at events and assistant with events for clients and events open to the public. slow paced and fun place to work.
Enjoyed working with the people who needed help.
Mental Health Recovery Support Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 9, 2017
I worked as a volunteer facilitator for the mental health recovery support group. Also helped to initiate recovery support meetings in the Inpatient Behavioral Health unit of Winchester Medical Center.
Pros
Working with people
a contracted position to help a peer pal
Peer Pal Mentor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 20, 2017
This was a fun position in which you made friends with and supported an individual suffering from a mental/emotional condition. I went out with this individual a lot.
Great Work Environment with Great Co-Workers
Program Coordinator and Regional Coordinator, (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 30, 2014
A typical work day would include:
1. Reviewal of e-mails and providing daily responses
2. Managing 7 contractors in 6 regions across Texas
3. Monthly grant reporting
4.Weekly staff meetings
5. Continual program assessment for improvements
6. Management of $250,000 grant budgetary limitations
7. Community networking
8. Planning and execution of trainings

In had never worked under a grant before. I thoroughly enjoyed learning new skills including grant management and yearly program program projections. My co-workers were all team players and we looked forward to working together every day. The most challenging part of the job was the change in staff. I worked under 3 different Executive Directors in one year. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with military families that have sacrificed so much for our freedom. It was a true honor.
Pros
Excellent work environment
Cons
Turnover in leadership
Over-worked, under payed, lack of concern for employee well-being
Addictive Disorders Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 8, 2017
I worked here for almost 5 years and while I loved the girls who worked in my office, the job stress was extremely high. We were constantly expected to meet impossibly unrealistic expectations by our bosses and were written up regularly even though punishment proved completely ineffective in dealing with the problem. There was an overall lack of support from our higher-ups and, although they'd never admit to it, our superiors were constantly pressuring us to essentially commit Medicaid fraud by inflating our billable face-to-face ours or face termination.
Pros
Co-workers, flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay, high stress work, little support from superiors, and lots more