National Alliance on Mental Illness Employee Reviews

Mundane and slow
VOLUNTEER & INTERNSHIP (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMay 22, 2018
As a whole I like the NAMI organization, I just felt the Antelope Valley Affiliate is lacking progression and room for new ideas and growth. Also need more staff available to assist the public.
Pros
Mental Health Education
Cons
Not alot of people coming into office
Position was an at home freelance position
Freelance Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMay 7, 2018
Overall, the job position was fine, they requested multiple designs for their upcoming events to be executed. No more than maybe 20 hours of design work per week. This position helped improve my skills in info graphics. The most enjoyable part was the free range I had in ultimately deciding what would be on said flyer.
Pros
Free Range on Design
Cons
Management terrible
Therapeutic and Rewarding
Inter-Club Council Representative (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 21, 2018
I am a mental health speaker who goes out into the community and shares personal stories and provides general information on resources. The job is rewarding in many ways which is why I have worked there as a volunteer for over 10 years.
Pros
the places and the people, real life experience
Cons
not enough hours
slow paced and quiet place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCFebruary 7, 2018
managed files, answered phones, volunteered at events and assistant with events for clients and events open to the public. slow paced and fun place to work.
Volunteer
Campus Representative (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDJanuary 19, 2018
I was a volunteer here while I was attending college to receive my Associates Degree. When not volunteering at the office I was running the NAMI ON CAMPUS Club at my college to bring awareness about Mental Health.
Pros
Excellent work place
a contracted position to help a peer pal
Peer Pal Mentor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 20, 2017
This was a fun position in which you made friends with and supported an individual suffering from a mental/emotional condition. I went out with this individual a lot.
Enjoyed working with the people who needed help.
Mental Health Recovery Support Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 9, 2017
I worked as a volunteer facilitator for the mental health recovery support group. Also helped to initiate recovery support meetings in the Inpatient Behavioral Health unit of Winchester Medical Center.
Pros
Working with people
Great organization to volunteer at
Volunteer Support Group Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 26, 2017
I have had an overall great experience in all my involvement with this org. NAMI was a great place to kick-start my career. I learned a lot during support groups including how to lead/facilitate groups myself. I also got connected to valuable community resources through this organization.
Pros
Good experience for facilitation groups
Cons
Not a strong source of income
Productive, fulfilling
Outreach specialist NAMI (Current Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 15, 2017
NAMI has helped me fulfill a life-long goal of being an advocate for mental health and mental-illness awareness. NAMI has provided this platform and it has helped me hone in on my compassion for others and helped me develop my communication skills, especially as a public speaker.
relaxed environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 8, 2017
The employees are nice. its lovation is not the most convenient but is located by a major bus line. the environment is very relaxed, not much excitement.

Want to know more about National Alliance on Mental Illness?

Ask a question
Great place to volunteer.
Volunteer Receptionist and Help Line Expert (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 7, 2017
Great organization with great culture. I am very happy to be volunteering at this organization. Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful. My work is very appreciated.
Great experience
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  CAAugust 28, 2017
The working environment is fast pace but very balancing at the same time. You will feel very delighted and happy when you are able to assist clients or family members.
It is kind of like freelancing.
Presenter (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJAugust 23, 2017
Drive to different towns. Speak at schools, churches, treatment programs, psych hospitals discussing your experiences with mental illness. presentations can range from 2 in a day to 2 in a month.
Pros
lots of freedom, can be a side job
Cons
most available presentation locations are in north jersey
Non-profit organization
Volunteer/Advisor/Advocate/Training Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 28, 2017
I worked as a volunteer at NAMI. The organization is great, you feel you are really making a difference. They provided training and support, and made you feel as if you were part of a family. The most difficult part of the job is seeing how the family/friends of those with mental illness struggle to get support and assistance.
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Non paid position
Nurturing and supportive community
Peer-to-Peer & Family-to-Family Mentor/Presenter (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WA 99201July 21, 2017
NAMI Spokane has changed my life by accepting me, giving me the tools to recover from my mental illness, and continued to provide recovery skills so that I can help others.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Volunteer Shortage
Experience was good to have
Marathon Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 10, 2017
Assisted with logistics of the marathon. Directed race participants to start line. Encouraged race participants to keep going. Overall wonderful experience to have.
Good place for experience but may not be what's expected.
Clerical duties and phone customer service (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMay 28, 2017
When I was here during a field experience project during my college years, I was in charge of two jobs: being a secretary and providing companionship for patients at a separate place. The latter provided great experience for those wanting experience in psychology, however, the former responsibility wasn't as fulfilling.
Over-worked, under payed, lack of concern for employee well-being
Addictive Disorders Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 8, 2017
I worked here for almost 5 years and while I loved the girls who worked in my office, the job stress was extremely high. We were constantly expected to meet impossibly unrealistic expectations by our bosses and were written up regularly even though punishment proved completely ineffective in dealing with the problem. There was an overall lack of support from our higher-ups and, although they'd never admit to it, our superiors were constantly pressuring us to essentially commit Medicaid fraud by inflating our billable face-to-face ours or face termination.
Pros
Co-workers, flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay, high stress work, little support from superiors, and lots more
Supportive and Productive internship
Intern (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAJanuary 3, 2017
Workplace is extremely helpful and full of respect. It is a pleasure to go to this internship each day, despite no compensation.
Pros
Respect, Flexible
Contractor
Marketing and Web Management Consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 21, 2016
I work as a contractor and have been treated with the utmost respect. NAMI does great work for society. Super organization.