National Aquarium in Baltimore Employee Reviews

The gift shop
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 15, 2018
Working there:
If opening the store- you put the food that was put away back out,Make sure the shelves are neat, the clothes are nicely folded,restock the magnet wall, fix the stuffed animals

The most enjoyable thing working there:
Trying to sell the item of the week

What I learned:
I learned a lot about the animals
wonderful place to work
Manager of Compensation/Benefits (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 30, 2017
NAIB was a wonderful to work. It was a great culture with committed, dedicated employees with the same mission in mind. I really enjoyed my 20 years there
Amazing experiences
Educator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 28, 2017
I spent my entire high school career traveling to many places and doing many things from Maine all the way down to the Florida keys, that most die without even getting the opportunity to do.
Pros
Cons
N/a
Going downhill fast!!!!
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 12, 2017
Things may be better if you are non exempt and hourly. But if you are exempt and salary...you have to finish all the work that was not completed by others, you rarely get any lunch or are working thru it, and you are constantly on call and do not get compensated for it like other institutions. So plan on working 50+ hours per week.
It''s a great place to gain some animal experience fast, but don't intent to stand long. The only good thing is the benefits. But then you have to decide what you are willing to give up do much to get them. Often, when you have a lot of time off, you can't take it because you are too busy or too many animal issues come up.
They keep advertising the workplace rating. But that was bogus to start, never spoke to animal care staff, just office and msnagement, etc. And it is out dated, so not valid anymore if you are using that to sway your decision at all.
I liked working downtown and being near the harbor. But parking is a HUGE and COSTLY issue.
Pros
Caring animal keeper and volunteer staff
Cons
Poor work/life balance and terrible management.
Changed over the years for the worse
Animal Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 16, 2017
If you want to gain experience learning animal husbandry, then I would do so, then move on. This is not a company that values long term loyalty out of its employees. The "leadership" here needs leadership help. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians, if you know what I mean. Animal care staff are paid average across the board, but they devote too few staff to get the animal care jobs done. They would rather hire tons of marketing and other "management office" people instead. Not sure if they realize they are managing an animal facility.

The husbandry and animal health staff really care!! It's a shame they are not better rewarded for their efforts. The National Aquarium used to be on one of the top aquariums...NOT ANY MORE!!
Pros
work with incredible animal species
Cons
poor management and leadership
The National Aquarium is a very nice place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 29, 2017
All of the managers and shift leads are very reasonable and understanding. The hours are very flexible. The environments energy is fast paced but fun and exciting.
Fun Workplace for someone fresh out of high school
Admissions Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 28, 2017
You build many friendships with the people you work with. Management is a little pressing .Workplace culture is great. You help many people from around the world.
Pros
Free Admission, easy job for the most part
Cons
Pressing Management
Fun volunteer position working with animals
Animal Programs Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 13, 2017
I work with the reptiles and birds in the Animal Programs department at the NAIB. A typical day involves creating enrichment for the animals, cleaning their enclosures, going out into the public for an educational encounter.
Very rewarding, very engaging, excellent work environment and staff
Aviculture Itern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 12, 2017
Working with the staff and the animals was an extremely rewarding experience. The supervisors help you get started when learning your daily routine, and if you need help they are very understanding and helpful. You get to work close with the animals and participate in many different projects.
Not exactly the best place...
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 9, 2017
Sure, the exciting idea of working around fish and being the best you can be with customer service sounds ideal during your interview process, but once you begin working it's a different story. You would have to be in a certain department if you'd like to be ANYWHERE near the fish. You might get a chance to see them if you go on a break, but by the time you get your break, you are only going to wanna sit down and rest your feet from standing up the entire time.

Majority of the supervising team like to mostly gossip alongside each other, which would be fine if it wasn't for the fact they felt we were disturbing them whenever we needed their attention. Not only that, but they would often feel bothered when we need their immediate attention when a problem occurs with a guest. The same for the manager team as well. They don't really wish to be disturbed unless it's extremely dire.

I guess the only good thing about the place would be the pay and the free membership.
Pros
free membership, pay
Cons
short breaks, lazy supervising/management team
Loved Working Here
Aquarium on Wheels Team Member (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 21, 2017
I worked here in High school and I recently graduated it but I absolutely LOVEDDDDD it! If I could go back I would with no doubt. the people that work there and the visitors are very friendly and there is a lot of room to move around in the company
A place where amazing things happens
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 16, 2017
Great place to work, very diverse and great a since on belonging. The management team is wonderful and gear to your success. Working at the National Aquarium in Baltimore you will be apart of a diversity working family that all comes together to to make sure our aquatic animals and guest are happy.
fun job
Admissions Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 3, 2017
the job itself was fine, nice place and nice being around such awesome animals, but the staff not so much, they tend to treat the animals better then they treat their staff.
Pros
great physical environment
Cons
slightly toxic emotional environment and interaction.
Fun work place very positive.
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 29, 2016
Absolutely loved working here and with the public. You get breaks and great pay depending on your education. The co workers are great and everyone is always willing to enlighten.
Pros
Break room, free tickets
Cons
Not a fan of the uniform
Great place to work.
Visual Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 12, 2016
Great work environment and co workers were all great. Was enjoyable to go to work everyday. Working with animals and developing shows for visitors was exciting. Eventually work started getting outsourced. This gave us less to do and started to become tedious.
Pros
Wrorking with animals and traveling.
Cons
low pay and no advancenment.
Lifetime Opportunity as a Volunteer
Volunteer Aquarist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 7, 2016
I worked as a volunteer in the Jellies Invasion Exhibit and as an assistant to the Jellies Lab. I would work on Sundays with a supervisor performing aquarium maintenance and care. Preparing Artemia, scrubbing tanks, water changes, feedings, moving animals. I learned so much about Jellies from the staff it only encouraged me to pursue opportunities with my Marine Biology interests. The hardest part of the job was that it was a volunteer position. The most enjoyable part of the job was being around staff that were willing to teach me more about being an Aquarist in an AZA accredited place.
Pros
Staff, Mentoring, Aquarium Experience with Invertebrates
Cons
Unpaid position
good summer job for a teen
Ambassador/ Visitor Services (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 11, 2015
This was a decent summer job fresh out of high school as a teenager; decent pay for a 17 year old. Friendly environment, nice people to work with; decent schedule. Hardest part was having to stand all day and dealing with rude guests and customers.
Both fun and enriching job for high school students.
Youth Programs (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MdSeptember 9, 2015
This job presented many future skills necessary in almost any job you may work. Provided real work experience and responsibility. Also provided great interaction and work with teams and children.
A Unique and Productive Experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 19, 2015
At the National Aquarium in Baltimore, a typical work day would consist of maintenance, feedings, record keeping, and a daily session of learning about filtration. I also learned how to prepare food for the different exhibit animals. The mornings were pretty empty until it got closer to afternoon. The number of visitors would increase greatly during the early afternoon, especially on Fridays. The management was down to earth. They were not condescending or overly bossy. The co workers shared similar attitudes, although few were less positive than others. I didn't spend much time with the other workers, but I did get to play Scattergories with them during lunch. The most enjoyable part of the job was feeding the exhibit animals in the Amazon River section. It was a welcome challenge when I was trying to feed the freshwater rays, feeding the aggressive Arowana, and avoiding the caimans in the exhibit. The hardest part of the job was trying to feed one of the small spotted rays. The paddle on the end of the pole wasn't securely place, so it was difficult to keep the ray on. Feeding it was made even more difficult when the big turtles blocked the way.
Pros
A unique and helpful experience
Cons
It was a short internship
Great Place for an Internship
Visual Productions Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 30, 2014
The staff there are great mentors and are willing to work with you and take the time to show you everything you need to know and do.