National Audubon Society, Inc. Employee Reviews

It's a place to start, not a place to stay
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 29, 2018
The rather cold, wall street corporate style management does not make life pleasant. Constant cuts to program, benefits, and staffing make a rather oppressive atmosphere. Promotions from within are basically non-existent in recent history. On top of that the pay does not make up for the abuse you'll receive
Not a pleasant atmosphere for the long term, but definitely an ok stepping stone, don't stop looking for your next opportunity.
Seasonal beach steward
Shorebird Steward (Former Employee) –  Audubon, FLAugust 25, 2018
Worked on a crowded beach to serve as an educator to visitors on the importance of providing protection for native nesting seabirds. I enjoyed my position and my manager was always willing to help.
Pros
Worked on the beach, all tools needed are provided, work shirt was provided.
Cons
Temporary, low paying position.
Wonderful Mission - Poor Manager
Development Associate (Former Employee) –  MidwestMay 24, 2018
Wonderful mission; poor management. Confidential complaint process is not confidential. Everything was forwarded to manager.
Employees are then punished for speaking up.
Nepotism policy on paper, not followed in reality.
Fun Starter Job
Invasive Species Technician (Former Employee) –  Coleharbor, NDDecember 27, 2017
The management staff that I worked with don't currently work there but the facility was impressive and newly renovated. The compensation was pathetic but the feds don't have a large budget.
Excellent place to work
HR/ Payroll and Benefits Adm (Former Employee) –  225 Varick Street, New York CityMarch 31, 2017
Sad to leave a good job due to all the job were outsource to another state, excellent place with overall standard benefits package, manager very professional
Pros
Excellent benefit package and salary
Cons
job was outsource
A conservation organization with a long, respected history
Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2017
Incredibly committed conservationists at all levels working for modest salaries but returning great results. Because it is such a distributed organization, the experience largely depends on the immediate leadership, resources, and community support for the mission.
Great Organization
Fellow (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 12, 2017
An organization with a great and long-standing mission. Wonderful, fairly new CEO. I worked under outstanding management and supervisors. I've been very happy with Audubon.
Nice productive atmosphere
Director of Data Services (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2016
Audubon’s mission is to conserve and restore natural ecosystems, focusing on birds, other wildlife, and their habitats for the benefit of humanity and the earth's biological diversity. A powerful combination of science, education, and policy expertise combine in efforts ranging from protection and restoration of local habitats to the implementation of policies that safeguard birds, other wildlife, and the resources that sustain us all—in the U.S. and across the Americas.
exciting place to work
Audubon Louisiana Walker Communications Fellow (Current Employee) –  Audubon, LAJuly 13, 2016
This an organization with a purpose and a plan. Employees are friendly and their work is outstanding. It is nice to work in an area that is positively impacting not only wildlife, but the lives of people and the land that they live on.
National audubon society
Development Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2016
I was allowed to work with the National Audubon Society as a Development Intern during the summers of 2011 and 2012. While I was living in Florida, I would travel to New York every summer to visit family. While in New York I came across the non-profit organization and I supported their vision. I also saw it as an opportunity to develop organizational experience. Thanks to the National Audubon Society I gained experience in office work, such as filing, documenting, organizing, etc... My brief time with the National Audubon Society help prepare me tremendously when it came to office management with my Assistant Site-Coordinator job.
Pros
Gained Experience, Great Purpose, Friendly Environment, Great Leadership
Organization that has stood the test of time
Research Assistant, Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 10, 2015
Nice day with always something exciting to do. Often maintained social media presence, process donations, edit materials. Multifaceted position that offered a lot of learning and experience.
Pros
multi-faceted position that allowed me to learn many skills
Leaders in conservation and outreach programs
Environmental Awareness Media Volunteer/Intern (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 5, 2015
Typical day includes the following roles: assist in event planning, education and awareness outreach programs, marketing, public relations and public education. Assist in developing innovative ideas and activities to incorporate into conservation programs. Help execute programs for guest of all ages.
Pros
Mission Statement
Productive work environment
Events (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 18, 2014
Audubon is achieving great conservation milestones. My colleagues at the organization were extremely smart, dedicated and driven and a joy to work with.
Pros
Good work/life balance, good healthcare and benefits
Good
Intern (Former Employee) –  MaineNovember 15, 2014
A great place to get hands on experience working with wildlife in a remote field setting.
National Audubon Society - Not software shop
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2014
I was literally told that developer does not need to have things in writing to proceed with development.
Nice working environment
Financial Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 13, 2014
Nice working place. Nice supervisor. Low supervision type of work environment. Get high volume of works done.
SPATIAL ECOLOGIST (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 24, 2013
Great place to work encouraging independent thought and initiative.
Fast-paced non-profit focused on protecting birds, wildlife and their habitat.
Development Associate (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 3, 2013
Wonderful mission. Dedicated and enthusiastic team players.
Pros
Highly regarded conservation organization with 100+ year history.
Cons
Not alot of advancement opportunities; benefits cut for part-time employees in 2012.
Not great
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2012
Very tough place to advance career. Seemingly simple things take forever to get done. Horrible team atmosphere. Does not feel like management wants you to succeed. They dont care about creating a fun atmosphere or keeping employees interested or retained. Their motto is "come in, do you work, go home."
Pros
good working hours, great benefits and generous vacation and sick day policy, ok salary for non profit
Cons
management, poor retention, issues not addressed timely, problems get out of hand before they are addressed