National Counseling Group Employee Reviews

Fun and enjoyable coworkers, though frustrating organization
Mental Health Community Counselor (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMarch 13, 2019
Each of the coworkers within my office are all very enjoyable to be around and each support you when dealing with difficult cases. However, I have never once met the CEO in person, despite him being based just an hour away from our office. The company prioritizes their clients so much that it comes at the expense of the employees. We are forced to drive up to four hours each day in our own cars without receiving any reimbursement for gas or the travel on our cars. We are also left without pay if our clients cancel a session, which happens regularly because we are meeting with mentally disabled and unreliable clients.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Low pay, no policy to discourage cancellations, no gas reimbursement, no holidays, always expected to be on call
supportive, but stressful work environment
Community-Based Counselor (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAMarch 1, 2019
The management was very supportive and the pay and benefits were reasonable. There is a good amount of flexibility in the job; however, the clients and job expectations can be very stressful. The nature of the job can easily lead to burnout.
Pros
great supervisors, flexible hours
Cons
stressful job, having to use your own car to transport clients
A good Steping stone job
COMMUNITY MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 8, 2019
Flexible schedule, no steady income or enough compensation. No affordable benefits for employees. Some clients just want to use counselors as taxi services.
Management has ruined the position. You will regret working for this program.
Mobile Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAFebruary 4, 2019
I've gained invaluable knowledge about crisis intervention during my time with CR2 and most importantly obtained the clinical hours/supervision I needed for my license. If you ask me if I had to do it all over again with CR2, my answer would be NO. The program and the job were more manageable before the current management began in summer 2018. Current management is a cruel, inefficient, incompetent “leader.” In fact, current management is the opposite of a leader and does not possess the skills needed to lead a crisis team. This individual is not compassionate, honest, good at communicating, transparent or emotionally intelligent. This individual does not have integrity, does not take accountability and does not have the vision needed to be a manager of a very much needed and valued resource in northern Virginia. This program could be so much more, but not with the current leadership in place. I admit that I was ready to move on from the position anyway because crisis is a lot of work and takes a toll on your mental and physical health. BUT, also know that management is a large reason in me choosing to resign. I know my value and worth. I can work under a supervisor who is strong and holds their staff accountable. I did that very successfully with prior CR2 management. I know how to take direction and comply when my supervisor directs me to do something. I will not work under someone who is malicious and overall just not a very decent human being. This is a friendly warning from a prior CR2 counselor for anyone looking to join this team. They will make promises to you when you  more... agree to join but know that this is the honest truth of how your experience will be when you are employed as a CR2 counselor. Also, I hope you aren't leasing your vehicle because you will be racking up the miles on your car.

And for the hire up management...look at the trends in staff resigning from CR2. Yes, CR2 has a high turnover rate because of the nature of the job, but I know you will see more staff have resigned under current management than any other manager. If the shoe fits then you know what the problem is, or who the problem is.
Pros
Clinical supervision
Cons
Everything else
The management
Therapist II (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 4, 2019
When you apply for the job you are given a contact with a salary . Once you stated you realized that it is a commission base job. You can go for months with making nothing more than 300 per week.
Pros
Ba
Cons
Ba
Fun place to work with a positive atmosphere.
Therapeutic Day Treatment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 1, 2019
National Counseling group is a supportive atmosphere with great hours and decent benefits. The pay isn't great, but the job is easy and fun as long as you don't mind paperwork.
Job
Mental Health Skill Building Counselor (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAFebruary 1, 2019
Good Job to gain experience and growth. You set your own schedule, you have room to grow and meet a lot of new faces.This is a fun atmosphere, we do team outings, 40 plus hours if you choose to work.
Pros
Great team, set your own schedule
Client centered environment
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJanuary 28, 2019
Offered various programs for mental health counselors including school and in-home settings. As an art therapist, I was able to use mental health interventions that allowed me to use my expertise within the interventions and treatment plans. Welcoming and caring workplace. Understanding staff and personable community.
Difficulties I faced were within the summer camps. I enjoyed working in the school system and being able to plan my schedule according to the child's needs for intervention.
Pros
TDT program
Cons
Summer Camp
It's all politics...
Therapeutic Day Treatment (Current Employee) –  Martinsville, VAJanuary 11, 2019
I work as a Therapeutic day treatment counselor. I love the school I work for, the only issues I have are with the actual company; National Counseling Group. They play favorites, constant drama, and little to no understanding and compassion from management and coworkers. The most enjoyable part are the relationships built with the individual schools you work with and the clients you work with. Thankfully we only see our supervisor and other counselors 1x weekly. The health insurance is expensive, we only get 2 PTO days, and ZERO vacation time. We are expected to have all personal medical appointments, procedures, and family emergency on days when school is out (which is impossible). It's hard to feel valued when supervisors and upper level management engage in gossip, drama, and continually let you know that your position can be filled easily should you not fall in line!
Pros
The reltionships that can be formed within the schools you are placed at
Cons
No vaacation time, only 2 PTO days, expected to have medical appointmetns and family emergencies only on off days, constan
Fast paced work environment
Community Based Counselor (Former Employee) –  Culpeper, VAJanuary 7, 2019
NCG was fast paced and always had job advancement/ job training opportunities. This is a very difficult job to have if you have or are trying to have a family. You make your own schedule (for the most part), but in order for you to make any money, you have to work A LOT! This job has a high turnover rate because of the amount of stress involved. Coworkers are cliquey and management is catty
Pros
make your own schedule
Cons
shady management
Supportive depending on where you are
Community Based Counselor, Outpatient therapist (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 24, 2018
The pay is poor for what you do and work-life balance leaves a lot to be desired. However, my particular management is outstanding and does all they can to support their employees.
Pros
Benefits, supportive management
Cons
Pay, work life balance, stress
Unethical and unprofessional
Community Based Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 23, 2018
The pay is insulting. Structure and rates have been changed but counselors have not been compensated correctly, to the point of being paid $4-$7 less per hour than new hires. Management talks about staff behind their backs and suggests mental health diagnoses for the counselors. Imagine Mean Girls only with access to a DSM and instead of teen girls it’s adult men and women. They care more about their bottom line than clients. They change their minds regularly on how things should be handled causing confusion. I learned more through research than I could even pretend to learn through supervision. I assume they will be investigated at some point. I’m often hearing about counselors not seeing their clients as often as they were supposed to...from former clients and case managers.
Pros
Hours towards licensure
Cons
Almost everything
written policy
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 27, 2018
no day is the same, learned how to focus on numbers versus quality, management is supportive but everything goes back to numbers. workplace culture is "ok" and the hardest part of the job is providing services at a quality level without being reminded of the business and numbers aspect. most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with.
Understanding supevisors and management.
COMMUNITY BASED COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Danville, VANovember 11, 2018
The only drawback is the hourly instead of salary for a typical work day not enough hours for a full time employee. The work place and culture is holistic and management works with employees in a fair and safe environment.
Pros
Communication is on going with employees, excelent benefits.
Cons
Could provide workshops for prfessional enrishment (CEU's)
Do not apply for CR2 it will drain you mentally and physically. This program is failing for many reasons, management being number one.
Mobile Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VANovember 9, 2018
Stay away! Management does not care about your quality of life! Your day off is not your day off! Supervisors appear to be inept in their ability to manage the program or their staff effectively so they try to use threatening language and an authoritarian style of management. No concern or care for the counselors; seven of us have been with the company for several years, but have quit in the last five months, not one us were asked why we were leaving or even given an exit interview. Parents and counselors have complained about the same supervisor for her repeated rudeness and
overbearing demeanor, Upper Management turns a blind eye.
The protocol for the CR2 Program is a mess, word of mouth and emails are policy. How's that working???
Pros
Licensing Supervision and different experiences in counseling.
Cons
CR2 Management, Supervisors, Lies, Lies and more Lies from Management.
Great Company with some drawbacks
COMMUNITY BASED COUNSELOR II (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 7, 2018
Schedule is made at beginning of week. In the morning review day for up coming meetings or reports due and followup with clients to confirm meeting times. Management is clear on what is expected regarding administration, client updates and reports due. Supervision: group one week with individual supervision the following week. The workplace culture is supportive from management and co-workers. Each employee is on a team based on their type of work. The hardest part about the job is inconsistant hours per week because the bulk of your pay is based on direct face-to-face time. There are cancellations by clients or schedule conflicts which affects your pay. This job is perfect for someone just out of school but is very difficult for someone who is the primary bread winner. The most rewarding is changing lives by equipping clients to manage their emotions and behaviors more effectively.
Pros
Flexabile schedule, excellent supervisor and training.
Cons
Pay is direct service time, min wage for admin time, travel. *** Inconsistant hours
Productive workplace
Community Based Counselor II (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 21, 2018
Supportive team. The structure of the organization assisted employees in being resourceful in the field. Great supervision and opportunities for supervision if seeking licensure.
Stay away from mobile crisis
Mobile Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAOctober 1, 2018
This program is a mess. Current management is new as of June 2018 and is incompetent and vindictive. Management has not taken time to learn the program and has made unnecessary changes that are driving staff away. They will tell you there is work, life balance but there is not. There is a higher rate of turnover than other positions because of management and the challenges that come with this job. Be prepared to put thousands of miles on your vehicle as you travel around Northern Virginia. Again, this is key...management is not supportive and does not know how to be an effective leader. This program's management is not open to hearing any feedback from staff. There is also no room for growth with this program or agency. You are either a counselor or a supervisor.
Pros
Clinical supervision
Cons
Poor and incompetent management, no work/life balance, pay is not adequate for Northern Virginia
What the company stands for
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 18, 2018
National Counseling Group (NCGCare) is really trying to provide the community with proper mental health care. There is a negative stigma regarding mental health and NCGCare tries to overcome that by providing clients with a comfortable environment for which they can receive the help they need.
Summer job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 29, 2018
This place was a great first job, they are very caring and they worked around my school schedule. I would highly recommended this place of employment.
Pros
great staff
Cons
office turn over

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Counseling Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.5Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight