National Endowment for Democracy Employee Reviews

Great internship experience
Research and Conferences Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 27, 2018
Learned a lot. Big company, a lot of self-management and opportunities to take initiative, get support, meet new people, learn about incredible democracy work all over the world.
Good internship program for education and professional development
Latin America and the Caribbean Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2018
I worked at NED for about 3.5 months as an intern through a university program. My team and direct supervisor were helpful and approachable, and allowed me to gain skills on the job. I was given substantial tasks that were more than daily administrative duties.
The only thing that would have really made the program more desirable would be if the internship program was paid, more than the $10/day travel stipend that is currently offered, considering the average cost of living in Washington, DC.
great mission and fun place to work
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 7, 2017
The team here is outstanding and the mission of the company is outstanding. work balance is good and management listens to employees. diverse group of people and learning new cultures. Company picnic is something to look forward too in the summer.
Wonderful job, poor management, low salary and slow advancement
Assistant Program Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 6, 2016
NED has a great mission and supports groups that are inspiring. However, leadership has been at the institution for decades and is quite stagnant and removed from the plebeians, as it were. Tons of turnover at lower levels. Not much room for development and the pay scale is low, which management says is ok because of healthcare benefits, etc., but don't expect recognition for your work in monetary form. Instead, expect post-it "shout outs" in the kitchen. The institution is struggling to coordinate its many different parts and could use some reform. Some directors are also very hard to work with and there is no mechanism for getting around this.
Pros
vacation time, healthcare
Cons
salary, lack of development, management
national endowment for democracy
office services (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 27, 2015
One of the best places I have had the privilege to work. The organization has events for the staff and it is small enough to where you can know most of the people there by name.
Good Company to work for but low pay
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 14, 2013
Good company, quasi government hence good benefits, but pay low. Great co-workers, management slow to learn new technology and hinder advancement. Best place to work if you want to work in one place and stay there until retirement.
Pros
Good workpalce, good co-workers, work-life balance
Cons
low pay
I really loved working for the National Endowment for Democracy
Receptionist /Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 2, 2012
I worked for the National Endowment for democracy for 10 years and I really enjoyed working for the company. They treated me with the utmost respect and looked out for my best interest. It was truly a wonderful company to work for.