National Fuel Employee Reviews

Good salary, awful environment.
Consumer business specialist (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYFebruary 7, 2019
Everyone is literally only there for the money. The pay and health insurance are extremely nice compared to similar postions with other companies. However you will be micro-manged on everything. NFG even times your bathroom breaks! You get monthly “coaching” meetings in which only criticisms are discussed, never highlighting what good you are doing. If you aren’t 15 minutes early for your shift you are marked late. There is random drug testing. There is a cafeteria but you are only allowed to enter the cafeteria on your lunch break (even just to buy a coffee or energy drink) and most scheduled lunches take place after the cafeteria is already closed! There are strict time frames allotted to how long each call should take and managers will come up to you if you are over that time. For example, a call should on average should be 3:30mins long. I am on a call for 8 mins with a difficult customer. A manager comes up and DOES NOT ASK HOW THEY CAN HELP but instead just rudely looks over at my computer screen and asks if I am working, forcing me to put my customer on hold and show the manager what I am working on. Makes no sense, it’s like hey let me interrupt your work to make sure you are working. Eventually if you are a good enough worker you get something called “secondary work” where you are given more responsibilities or made a supervisor BUT THERE IS NO PAY INCREASE or new title given to you. Given the pay is already very good, but if I’m made a supervisor who has to deal with my fellow employees and I’m not compensated for such the likelihood of being respected or listened  more... to by those fellow employees is very slim which makes the job stressful. Time off is a JOKE. 3 sick days, 5 personal days per year! You take anything more than that and you are fired. And if you start your employment for example in Feb 2018, you have to wait until Jan 2019 to see those benefits. The benefits are not based on a probationary period but instead on the new year ! Very unfair standards. Sure FMLA is offered but then you have the stigma of being lazy by management if you call off for FMLA matters regardless of how infrequent you use it. A HIPPA violation exists in that when you call off the mangers ask specifically why you are ill and expect you to go into detail. For example, you call off for illness and they ask why so you say stomach flu and they say hmm something you ate something you caught something medicine related tell me more... NFG has a very weak union which hides behind the employee handbook and does not fight for their workers. It’s a very stressful work environment with unreal standards. Back to back calls mostly you getting screamed at by customers who mostly hate the company because of Rigid appointment times and confusing billing practices. The company also encourages phone reps to be mean to customers and bully them. Only makes matters worse if you have strong soft skills and you get a customer who is upset that the previous rep was just rude to them so now your customer is mad about more than just their bill.

In short the pay is wonderful but the turn over rate is extremely high due to unrealistic company standards and practices. You have been warned. I somehow lasted 2 years.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Random drug testing, unrealistic standards, poor management
not worth the stress
operations specialist/customer service (Former Employee) –  mineral springs west senecaMay 29, 2018
Extreme catty environment. Managers say they have open door policy then you ask a question. "You were already shown that." As soon as someone walks out the door, the others cheap shot and talk about that person. Constantly. Very micro managed , even for employees that have had years put in there.
Pros
salary
Cons
stressful moreso the environment.
Easiest job but not worth it
Gas mechanic (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 14, 2019
You would think having a job here is great, until you get hired. Cut-throat environment. Hard to advance, nor any higher positions to advance. You're just a number here. Guys who have been here before 2013 make 10 dollar difference than you. Union is terrible. Not worth your time here
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Terrible managers; stress
Poor management
Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mineral SpringsSeptember 18, 2018
Worse then high school with drama and gossip. Management was horrible, never listen to staff. Vice President once told staff we were a bunch of over paid Tops workers. When CEO’s are tucked away in bed Mineral Springs is taking care of 2 entire states. Mineral springs is the heart of operations at National Fuel, they are under appreciated.
Pros
Paid more than Tops workers
Cons
Horrible hours
Very poor managment
Operarions specialist (Former Employee) –  Mineral SpringsJanuary 12, 2019
The managers were very difficult to work with. They were very bad at training and quick to ridicule you on little things. Overall I enjoyed being there with the exception of them. I was only there a short time and several people hired after me quit because of them. They set you up for failure if they don't like you.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Managers
Stressful
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Warren PAAugust 8, 2015
This company has a major lack of training. They tend to place their employees in potentially dangerous situations without only a few days training. The company has 3 different unions and and multiple tiers in each. The contracts are negotiated at different times which give the unions and the employees no power to negotiate. Management is not good at all.
Pros
Pay is slightly above average
Cons
benifits are not very good.
Stable company with a steady flow of work
Gas Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYDecember 12, 2016
In the short time that I've worked at National Fuel I have advanced to a position with a large amount of responsibility. I have strengthened a variety of skills including communication, hands-on, and time management. I hope to continue to advance both personally as well as professionally.
Pros
Good benefits
Poor Management
Consumer Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYJuly 31, 2015
This was one of the worse jobs I've ever had. Management was totally incompetent and not supportive. Pay was good but benefits were horrible. Not a family oriented company at all!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Excellent Benefits & pay work environment stressful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Erie, PASeptember 27, 2015
Phone representative I answered calls from our customers. Guidelines were set but changed constantly depending on who you spoke with, very micromanaged. Difficult balance of work and family.
Pros
Benefits and wages
Cons
Micromanaged
Enjoy my fellow co-workers.
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 14, 2018
A lot of walking in all weather conditions, going into customer homes or places of business can be stressful. Nothing too hard about the job just drive to your route and start your day work at a good pace to complete on time and handle your breaks when you want them.
Pros
During the day you are on your own with minimul supervision.
Cons
Not very many personal days off, only one personal holiday for first year.
excellent
Owner/driver of National Fuel Corp (Former Employee) –  Medford, NYNovember 26, 2017
as an owner I oversaw all operations. I drove everyday, routed my drivers every morning, processed credit cards, took care of the accounts receivables, payroll, and worked as a dispatcher when my secretary called in sick
Pros
loved working for myself
Cons
trying to get paid on the deliveries i did
Public Utility
General Manager, Energy Services Division (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 19, 2017
National Fule provided strong management trainmen programs and advancement opportunities. In particular , opportunities existed fro national exposure vis a vie national committees that employees served upon.
Difficult to advance, pay could be better, hours are nice
Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Dunkirk, NYDecember 30, 2014
Very little room to advance, Pay could be better, and union doesn't really help you with problems, Hours are nice for the work, but they hire outside of company so it's hard to advance, Hard to understand the routes which are not in order, Difficult goals to hit when route are not in order
Pros
hours
Cons
pay, advancement
National Fuel
Auditing Services Intern (Former Employee) –  Main OfficeMay 20, 2014
The company had a family environment and encuraged teamwork.