National General Insurance Employee Reviews

Stay away!
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Williamsville, NYDecember 18, 2018
They attract you with a nice starting salary, but this is the most hostile work environment I’ve experienced...precipitated by upper management. The pay is great, benefits are sub-par, workload is overwhelming, and no matter how hard you work, they treat their employees like they’re not human and have no lives outside of work. Management makes it nearly impossible for you to meet your goals with the most inefficient processes that make you waste so much time re-doing work over and over. People quit constantly, so you have to take on more work left behind by people who were able to leave. Do yourself a favor and stay far away!
Pros
The pay, location of the office, and they do buy lunch here and there.
Cons
Management, processes, workload, work/life balance
Solid Job to get your foot in the door
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 6, 2018
Paid training and licensing, learned about product itself and how it benefited the client in the event anything were to happen. With someone that came from face to face sales to phone sales, supervisors provide you with the tactics to become better sales people on the phone. Pretty casual environment with music to pump you up. You can be there long term if you still want to be an agent with a bump in pay raise and extra perks, no real pathway laid out in the beginning to show what other possibilities are attainable with the organization. Commission is based on an underwriting sales process, so make sure if you do pursue a career here you have that portion of your process on point because why wouldn't you want to keep money you already earned?
Pros
Free lunch, sales contests, generous PTO and benefits.
Cons
Overtime Pay, Score reviews
Commission structure gone bad
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  DallasNovember 26, 2018
Has potential but the pay is set for the executives and a SELECT group personally identified. The type of business written is going to cancel and when ask how to minimize it you’re told “it’s part of the business” which is true. But anyone having sold insurance knows that you limit that business, Unless the business model is make money off short rates fees and let the agent take the hit on a cancellation. It’s a true rat race of staying ahead of cancels.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Surreal
Insurance Operations Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 6, 2018
I have had other jobs and by far this is the perfect place for me. The people are kind and courteous.
Management is very helpful with an open door policy.
I am fairly new to the company, however so far from the time I was scheduled an interview to this day it has been an unbelievable experience.
The training is very thorough, and so far the hardest thing about it is getting up in the morning.

The most I enjoy about my job is that I am not micro-managed and I am able to work independently. Anyone in the building is so willing to help whether they have the answer or if any research is required to get the answer.
Pros
location, hours, benefits, parking, and people
Unprofessional Manegement
CLAIMS SERVICE CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 16, 2018
I work in the claims call center and the supervisors are really unethical and unprofessional. I don't feel comfortable in talking with them about anything because they tend to always have an attitude and refuse to help. The job itself is not difficult and my coworkers are very fun to be with, but the place is very micromanaged and supervisors are always watching/listening to what you are doing. They are very biased towards others and will work together to find something to get you in trouble. I hate to say all of this about my job but it is the truth. Overall the company itself does have good benefits, such as health, dental, and vision. The claims call center is also very flexible with their work hours and can accommodate with students and their school schedules.
Pros
Flexible hours, good benefits, paid training.
Cons
Micromanagement, and unprofessional supervision
Bad Company to work for
Licensed (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJuly 19, 2018
It seems like there is no communication between managers,supervisors (management). They pretend to care but they care more about checking on employees every little detail, but not provide employees with proper training and just throw them to answer the phone to resolve problems for customers and outfield agents, when the employee has zero knowledge of the product. Management want people to be answering as many phone calls as possible, but don't want to waste their time on training. Never had work for a worse company than this company. Very stressful.
Pros
Benefits, however the medical coverage sucks.
Cons
Stressful, proper training not given, they have too many programs & employees that act like police to check on employees.
Call center experience
Insurance Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Opelousas, LAJuly 25, 2018
You are required to be able to babysit agents and teach them how to sell policies even if you haven't sold a policy in your career. The work environment and co workers are the only positive but everything else needs improvement. This is a poorly ran company with most of the people looking on indeed.com for a new job every minute of the day. Blind leading the blind is a very common feeling as you struggle to complete the work day. very expensive benefits and low wages considered the work load. Just know you have been warned.
Pros
Work hours
Cons
Too many to list
Great Place to Work For. Specially with Prior insurance Background
Material Damage Adjuster (Current Employee) –  FloridaJune 8, 2018
I really enjoy working for this company, they are very warm and inviting but also competitive and strive for success. the interview process was very quick, I was called for a second interview within a week and offered the position a week later. From beginning to end it took about 3 weeks all together. Compensation and Benefit Package are good and Unlike most insurance companies, the work-life balance offered with national General is really good, They distribute claims different so one is not overwhelmed with claims at all times. Feels good not to have my phone ring all throughout my 8-hr shift! managers are helpful and work with you as long as you are open and honest. The "Hardest" part of the job is learning the system used for claims, but everything else makes up for that. They are continuously growing and expanding so opportunity is there!
Pros
Work/Life Blaance, benefits Package, Culture
Sweatshop
QA Analyst/ Underwriting Review Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 6, 2018
My company was bought by National General and the workload quadrupled but the pay remained the same. National General employees at other locations performing the same role are paid thousands more. Starting pay at my location is $12 an hour. They max out your workload every month so the workload is unattainable. This place is a sweatshop. If you're competent, they take advantage of you and give you more difficult work but without a pay increase or any other benefit to you. The raises here are a joke. You cannot complain about anything or it will affect your monthly review, which affects your tiny raise. So you have to take everything they dish at you with a smile on your face. Management is unorganized and makes changes that were not well thought out and it falls back on you. Training is insufficient and rushed but you are penalized if a mistake is made. They don't treat you like a human and expect you to behave like a Stepford wife. I wouldn’t recommend this job to anyone. Only work here if you’re in between jobs and desperate.
Pros
Coworkers, Pto, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Everything Else
typical corporate america job
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Licensed Insurance AgentOctober 25, 2018
This is not a typical 9-5 insurance job, the company is considered to be retail so you will work holidays, weekends and other hours that are not common in the industry. Management and pay could be better but overall a decent company to work for.
benefits
Cons
low pay
BA in Testing
Business Systems Analyst-Testing (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 8, 2018
-working for this company is not something I would consider making a career out of.
-the processes are extremely outdated
-A lot of manually processes and nobody wants to change
-the company is very CHEAP
Pros
food truck days, celebrate peoples birthday
Cons
benefits sucks, pay sucks, people let titles go to their head, overworked without pay, extremely old processes
Very good experience with this company so far
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 4, 2018
individual claims with team assistance if needed. Environment is pretty laid back a long as you get your work done management are helpful. I would recommend.
Pros
Good pay; benefits; recognition
Cons
More iunteractions between employees and more involvement in the community
Company leadership needs work...
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 21, 2018
No set structure to work by. Work is assigned on high levels by task with no organization.Difficult tasks are sometimes dolled out with uneducated or unrealistic time frames which causes issues with software and with customers. With a few exceptions, the leadership at the company (non Cleveland offices) seem to be out of touch with the satellite offices at times. Also, the company used to have many employee perks but now has tightened their purse strings where it concerns salary and bonus compensation.This has created an environment where long hours are worked with little reward.
Pros
Salary position/ good atmosphere downtown/safe work environment
Cons
small stipend for parking, high taxes, low range salary for jobs, Inexperienced/inadequate management
Great place to learn and grow
DIRECT SALES AGENT (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 4, 2018
Great place to learn and grow. I wan put in position to learn and teach. Coworkers and management worked together to serve the customer daily. The bonus structure became a problem for me over time.
Pros
cafeteria, benefits, positive working environment
Cons
change in bonus structure
Okay
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 2, 2018
Just okay. It's an okay place if you are looking for somewhere to start your career. Growth is slow and they promote their friends over hard workers. Benefits are bad and high priced.
Rapidly growing company with its eye on the future
Manager Business Systems Testing (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 9, 2018
The company is growing rapidly by acquisition. There seems to be a disconnect between the senior managers making the decision to acquire and the front line individuals that have to make the integrations possible. It leads to a lot of long hours for many.

However, there is a sense of "do what it takes" to get the job done, and it's good to have support of others across the company.
Pros
The company is actively working to resolve growing pains, Good technology team, Smart CIO and COO
Cons
Benefits are not generous, A lot of change means haphazard and frequent reorganization, unclear career paths
Recommended for money or culture driven individuals
Sales and Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 15, 2018
Great compensation structure, always opportunity for middle management promotion, fun and very friendly environment. However, it feels as if your career as whole and goals cannot be fulfilled working here.
Inbound Call Center Supervisor
Supervisor, Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 30, 2018
Manage Call Center Reps
Track employee metrics
Learned various management styles
The most enjoyable aspect of the job is to see employees succeed
The most challenging is balancing priorities of the supervisor role
Benefits
Absolutely a big NO
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 15, 2018
Run the other way. Spoke to co-workers NO advancement and micro raises. 1 to 5 cents annual if you meet sale requirements. They will find a way to add more work to your long list. Good luck
Pros
Cons
Lots
Stressful & messy
Sales Agent/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  LouisianaFebruary 13, 2019
My supervisor talks about each and every one of us behind our backs. I can't go to her for anything that concerns me, she will tell my co worker. I have learned to keep quiet and slowly planning an exit strategy. They give you too many tasks , setting you up for failure. They dont have your back, will take money from check if you mess up on a transaction. Example. A customer wanted her money back after a carrier would not reinstate her . But she owed them the money for coverage. She needed that money to start a new policy , she requested her money back. so we cancelled the transaction but supervisor said that if carrier still took out the money , they would take it out of my check. Instead of them billing the customer. Besides that, there is no organization, people call for homeowners and they can wait a week before anyone calls them back. They dont train you on commercial policies. They said they just throw you to it. Passwords are not updated on the list, so we constantly have to wait until they reset them to be able to get in. They want you to sell but if you mess up, your on your own. Company literally will back up a customer before backing up their employees. Things are always changing. They tell you one thing and next week it's a different way and then e-mail you important info instead of making a meeting and teaching you in person. They evaluate you every year and make up to do list right before evaluation time so they can have an excuse to not give you a raise. This is the first job ever that I feel like they constantly dragging me down, than helping me. They constantly  more... telling you your doing something wrong. And have to keep changing your phone status every 30 min. Even if your with a customer more than 30 min. Do not work here if you are not stressed. This will stress you out and not let you live life to your fullest potential. There's better jobs.  less
Pros
Hours
Cons
Everything about it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National General Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight