National General Insurance

National General Insurance Employee Reviews

United States572 reviews
Featured review
National General Insurance selected this as a representative review
The work is stressful and fast paced and can be super overwhelming, but I love it. I never knew how terrible people drove until I came here.
The pay is great and 18 PTO days per year ON TOP of all the holidays off.

Great management and they are very helpful when I need it.
Pros
Pto, pay, free food, benefits, holidays off, weekends off, investigating claims
Cons
Workload can be overwhelming
Pay rate does not compensate workload.
Management not approachable.

Stressful work environment.

***********************************************************
Pros
Management is great and has an understanding of what we are trying to do. Everyone is on the same page. Great flexibility. You are treated like a person not just a number.
Management plays favoritism and it shows. If you’re not on the “it” list your trash and they push you out. They pay their employees nothing and provide no training and then wonder why the turnover is so high. There is no genuine care for the customers. Mandate OT and do not allow people to take the company observed holidays off giving you no work-life balance. They question whenever you want to take PTO and get in your personal business.
3 years ... no training, long hours. Management only understands “git ur done”. They are moving most resources to Mexico. They don’t care about their employees, your future or your family. I would stay away.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
I have always felt supported at my time with National General Insurance Company. The management is very clear in their expectations and they will always steer you in the right direction. I wake up every morning excited for my commute into work and even more excited for my day. NGIC's Cleveland office was one of the first to allow all Claims staff to work from home during the Covid-19 outbreak. I have friends who work at other offices in the area who were still working while I was working from home. On top of that I feel like my manager genuinely cares for my well being. They always ask how we are doing during our team meetings and during my bi-monthly one-on-one. Even more, your co-workers are amazing. Everyone always makes themselves available to help new employees or employees who might be a little confused.

It is always a good time here, there are office decorating competitions, free food, and lots of little fun events. Every week the management will balance the claim load by giving the rep with the most claims one day off. Every claim you close gets ticket for an early exit. Every quarter the best performers get to spin a wheel to win a prize as well, including Cavs and Tribe tickets.

On top of this, NGIC is very giving as well, every month there is usually a donation of some sort in the building, not just claims. Evaluations are based on fair cirteria. There is a free health clinic in the office and a discount gym. More holidays than most insurance jobs, and more PTO. If you are accountable of your actions and tend to be organized and on top of things, this is the
 - more...
Cares more about stats than how employees feel. Weekly graded. Very high turnover. Would not recommend unless desperate & then quickly find another job. You may or may not get trained properly. I wasn't and lost points during review.
High pressure sales, push customers into as much insurance coverage as you can, so you earn a bigger commission....hmmm not sure how ethical that is... pressured to work overtime
average company at most. If it were a year ago, I would give it 4 stars.
pros: free parking, friendly wfh.

cons: an entire floor migrated from sister company upstairs, along with its stale rigid cultures that proved to be toxic. if you're under some brutal directors you're truly out of luck. you're out of protection and biz will crush you relentlessly: your director always takes sides with biz no matter how extreme biz pushes for deliverable expectations. dev targets change almost daily, overtimes, unrealistic deadlines. team lost people, often most productive ones. main technology feels like you're reliving 2002, VB.net. Bad codes base, convoluted logic everywhere - impossible to maintain or support not to say upgrade. there are teams that are more relaxed, using latest microsoft stacks, and most importantly there are barriers between dev and biz owners. if you look for jobs with them, do some research or you're gonna regret it.
You have to be able to multi-task and provide great customer service.. I enjoyed working with clients and educating them on various insurance product.
Nothing but Impossible deadlines with no project scope. Project team just lobs their problems in to the engineering teams and pulls an impossible dead line out of the air.
Pros
Health savings plan was not to bad.
Cons
Little time off, pay is about 80% of most companies.
Hey folks! Do want to be overworked and underpaid? Do you want to be micromanaged yet given no consistent direction? Do you like carrying the workload of two employees and then always being told you’re just not quite meeting expectations? If this is you, then apply today! They’re constantly hiring because employees are constantly quitting or getting fired. Apply today and you can sign up for their insulting benefits package and enjoy the stress that comes with falling behind your already behind desk since they do give you those pto holidays.
Decent work environment. Not a great work / life balance. Few opportunities for advancement. Trying to be fair on salaries but not quite there yet.
Structured territory for completing appraisals is often times unrealistic. I have been with company 4 years and the overall management style has developed into a culture of criticism and a “gotcha” mentality. Your appraisals are reviewed virtually upon upload and often times you are forced to renegotiate with shops after obtaining an agreed price on judgement times. This tends to become embarrassing after a number of times. 1-2% raises are common. Not sure how people are able to survive on this as the rate of inflation is near 4%.
I would never suggest to a friend to apply here. Management does not acknowledge workers for some time days! Nobody talks to each other. Its very eerie to have a room full of people and it to be silent
The place could of been great to work, but incompetence and nepotism and non transparency are there in spades.It will neger change unless they fire jay gill probably the most passive aggressive, email managing leader I have ever worked for
Pros
They help you get your insurance license
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Easily the worst job I’ve ever had.
Claims volume was impossible. Management was do disconnected from any reality other than their bottom line. The metrics were unfair. Immediate supervisors offered little help and support because they were also overworked. Pay is below industry standards. Favoritism and cronies. Poor morals, little incentive to push through the stress. Poor training. Just yikes.
Pros
Cons
Throw the whole company away
One of the best work environments I’ve ever been in. Management is on your team and do everything they can to help you whether it’s work related or personal.
It's not a bad company to work for, just know like any other insurance company the work load is going to be pretty high and if you're not organized and proactive in working claims you will find yourself in an uphill battle.
Workload was heavy more often then not, your success was some what of a role of the dice. Some of the management was experienced and provided good guidance too success, but the building is a revolving door for many applicants. Training classes often joked after a year about how many from their class was still there.
I hated working here. The gal who did the training was really good and supportive but a couple of the gals that had worked in the outbound call position were really mean. They do their best to talk behind your back and get rid of you. They don't want anyone else to be successful and being a threat.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at National General Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
2.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight