National General Insurance Employee Reviews

A good company
Senior Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 4, 2018
A good company that is a good company ith a background that includes the integration of multiple small organizations into a large corporate structure. Along with heavy employee relations, corporate communications, multi-state employment law, talent acquisition and performance management, the successful candidate will have a background involving coaching of management and senior leadership.
Terrible-worst mistake ever!
SENIOR TL TCR (Current Employee) –  NCNovember 27, 2018
I thought the pros would outweigh the cons working from home and now know this is the WORST decision I ever made. I do not work anything under 12+ hours per day. Nothing is written in stone-if you need to confirm something the answer changes depending on who you speak to. Once minute you are told to do something one way-the next day it is completely different. It is hard to find out who to contact when you need to contact someone. It took me about 6 mo's to find out who my HR Rep was. Every "responsibility" is a full time job in itself-there is NO possible way you can keep your head above water without working a 24hr day.The entire department is unorganized and the turn-over rate, especially with SENIOR adjusters is SHOCKING!!! The claim system is not user friendly and takes forever to navigate thru (23 different clicks to issue ONE payment-yes it was counted), multiple screens to find ONE piece of information, constant re-working of a file on top of having to handle your own salvage pending, try to go thru diaries, answer emails, voicemail-it is IMPOSSIBLE.I have never been so overwhelmed and depressed in my entire life. If I find something I will TAKE a $20k pay cut JUST TO LEAVE!!! Everyone says the same thing yet nothing changes and the general opinion is everything is getting worse by the year-nothing improves. There is ZERO LIFE BALANCE-this job will take over your entire life.
Pros
It's a check
Cons
You have to work here
poor management
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCNovember 26, 2018
micro - managers - not productive - very poor management - metric run company - quantity over quality - very stressful work environment-expect more - pay less
no motivation in workplace
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAOctober 30, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of basically clocking into work, go on your break, work, go to lunch, work and go home.

Prior to being acquired from National General, the company was a pleasant and fun environment and their employee turnover was low.

Management is not around due to the company being located out of state.

Hardest part is having to be discharged.
Stressful
Telephone Claims Representative (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 29, 2018
Too much stress for what it is. Prepare to spend your time off stressing over what you'll be coming in to. Poor work life balance, management totally disinterested in developing employees.
typical corporate america job
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Licensed Insurance AgentOctober 25, 2018
This is not a typical 9-5 insurance job, the company is considered to be retail so you will work holidays, weekends and other hours that are not common in the industry. Management and pay could be better but overall a decent company to work for.
benefits
Cons
low pay
Not what it was when I first started.
Inside Sales Manager, Screener, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, OROctober 18, 2018
I would not recommend this position as there are many unrealistic expectations, contrary communications, and shifts in business focuses on a consistent basis.
customer service
Insurance underwriter (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 10, 2018
What can I say. The job is okay, people make friends with the supervisor and favorites begin. It's extreme high turn over easy to get fired almost have to walk on egg shells. Very few people stay and even fewer move up. Make this an introduction into insurance but not your home. I'm sure you'll be fired before you can make it your home anyway.
Pros
not much good. they are around a lot of cool spots in the heart of downtown
Cons
don't pay enough for the abuse you take on the phone and the stress of micromanging
Loss Taker
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Farmers Branch, TXOctober 7, 2018
Lots of overtime through out the year.
Good Experience with my supervisor, he was very helpful.
Job can become stressful depending on the supervisor you are working under. Some of them are helpful some will tell you to look up the answer yourself.
Claims Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 3, 2018
To be Honest I have Nothing To Say About This Company. Wish they cared more about the claims consultant like they do the adjusters but what can you do about it absolutely nothing
Rotating Door
Technician (Current Employee) –  AnywhereSeptember 26, 2018
There is no trust among different management levels. Turn over is extremely high, and decision making is stunted. It is difficult to complete certain tasks/projects.
Pros
pay
Cons
micro-management
Nice Place To Work
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 25, 2018
It is a great place for a first job or to start a career. There are a lot of people who invest in you as an employee when you begin. Office hours are generally Monday through Friday and off most holidays. If not off then paid.
Pros
Great People, Paid Vacation
Cons
No Development
One of the best places to work in the Piedmont triad!
Claims adjuster (MDTCR) (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 18, 2018
Training is OUTSTANDING - they encourage questions and give plenty of instruction and support when learning the ropes. The days are busy, but go by quickly. The atmosphere is GREAT!
A call center environment
Insurance Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Opelousas, LASeptember 12, 2018
Dislike the call center environment. Difficult to give quality customer service. Quantity of calls more important than quality service to good paying customers.
This job is a waste of time. Don't do it.
Insurance Servicing Representative I (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 10, 2018
This place is soul-sucking and has unrealistic expectations of their employee's ... ESPECIALLY newcomers. Horrible training, poor management and a total lack of respect for the worker. I felt totally set up to fail. VERY poor communication with the workers. Very little to no encouragement or support from supervisors. Ridiculously high turnover as well as being let go quickly if you do not meet their outrageously high production expectations right out the gate. Of course, due to the high turn over the work is doubled for those who manage to stay. I can't imagine how any work gets done with the instability of this company. This is by far the worst place I have ever worked.
Good place to work except IT Infrastructure
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 6, 2018
Good place to work except IT Infrastructure where new Senior VP has created many issues by firing all previous managers and hiring a new crew of white men who are mostly former military people.
Solid Job to get your foot in the door
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 6, 2018
Paid training and licensing, learned about product itself and how it benefited the client in the event anything were to happen. With someone that came from face to face sales to phone sales, supervisors provide you with the tactics to become better sales people on the phone. Pretty casual environment with music to pump you up. You can be there long term if you still want to be an agent with a bump in pay raise and extra perks, no real pathway laid out in the beginning to show what other possibilities are attainable with the organization. Commission is based on an underwriting sales process, so make sure if you do pursue a career here you have that portion of your process on point because why wouldn't you want to keep money you already earned?
Pros
Free lunch, sales contests, generous PTO and benefits.
Cons
Overtime Pay, Score reviews
Fun and exciting place to work.
SALES SCREENER (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 6, 2018
This place can turn into your next career. Friendly environment and growth opportunity within the company. Company games and management is nice and will work and communicate with you. Great place to work and grow.
Surreal
Insurance Operations Representative (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 6, 2018
I have had other jobs and by far this is the perfect place for me. The people are kind and courteous.
Management is very helpful with an open door policy.
I am fairly new to the company, however so far from the time I was scheduled an interview to this day it has been an unbelievable experience.
The training is very thorough, and so far the hardest thing about it is getting up in the morning.

The most I enjoy about my job is that I am not micro-managed and I am able to work independently. Anyone in the building is so willing to help whether they have the answer or if any research is required to get the answer.
Pros
location, hours, benefits, parking, and people
Cons
Very good experience with this company so far
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 4, 2018
individual claims with team assistance if needed. Environment is pretty laid back a long as you get your work done management are helpful. I would recommend.
Pros
Good pay; benefits; recognition
Cons
More iunteractions between employees and more involvement in the community

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National General Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight