National General Insurance Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Prepare to have no life outside of work
Total Loss Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 10, 2018
The company I was working for was acquired by NGIC which resulted in very little training and lack of clear communication as to what was expected of us in our role. The only things they care about are the metrics and the bottom line. Customers and employees do not matter to them. Felt very unethical in the claims handling; this is one of the companies that gives insurance companies a bad reputation. Upper management didn't care as long as it was saving them a buck.
Pros
Lower level management was understanding, but had no power to change anything.
Cons
High stress, heavy workloads, ever changing expectations
Goals not resonable based on work load
Material Damage Appraiser (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 10, 2018
I was one of two people covering the entire state to service claims. One average I drove 220 miles per day in an attempt to cover my territory and had I obtained my ny license while working there I would have been given more territory to cover. It was virtually impossible to cover the amount of territory giveb abd hit the goals that were expected. It appears to be a good compay and I notice they are hiring more people to cover the area that only two people were epected to cover when i was there. If staffing levels are good this should be a good place to work.
Pros
good pay -
Cons
no work life balance if you are to be successful
Good Insurance experience
Underwriting Technician (Data Entry) (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 9, 2018
National general has a nice atmosphere. Its a entry level position where you could learn different aspects of the health insurance world. Resources are available and the company itself seems to appreciate their employees. Unfortunately management isn't always approachable and can come off a little rude. I have gained lots of knowledge on health care and some of the tricks and rules when applying or considering insurance.
Pros
comfy atmosphere, security, parking
Cons
offsite management, resource navigating
Fun and productive work place with a break room and patio
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Euless, TXMay 5, 2018
A typical day at work is always relaxed and smooth you learn all that you need to do the required job and ick up your own useful tools along the way the culture is a mixture of peace and tranquility the hardest part of the job would be the late days and the most enjoyable are the flex days
Pros
employee appreciation
Cons
short breaks
Not worth it
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 4, 2018
A complete lack of discernment, as to management. Married sales team leaders sleeping with multiple sales associates. Other agents steal policies right from under your nose. Not one female team leader at Cleveland location. Benefits are decent. Pto can only be taken when approved by workforce management. I am currently seeking new employment, as my work/life balance is important.
Pros
Free food to work through lunch
Cons
Cut-throat
Right Opportunity for the go getter
MD Claims Representative / Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 2, 2018
Good opportunity for the person who is eager to learn and willing to follow a proven sales method. Good opportunity to advance in the claims division also.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Long hours to meet goals
If you can manage a call center environment, you'll be great!
Senior Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAApril 29, 2018
The job can get stressful if you are not accustomed to a call center environment. The job itself and workplace environment is fine, but the calls you take can be very stressful and give you anxiety.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Stressful inbound calls.
Company leadership needs work...
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 21, 2018
No set structure to work by. Work is assigned on high levels by task with no organization.Difficult tasks are sometimes dolled out with uneducated or unrealistic time frames which causes issues with software and with customers. With a few exceptions, the leadership at the company (non Cleveland offices) seem to be out of touch with the satellite offices at times. Also, the company used to have many employee perks but now has tightened their purse strings where it concerns salary and bonus compensation.This has created an environment where long hours are worked with little reward.
Pros
Salary position/ good atmosphere downtown/safe work environment
Cons
small stipend for parking, high taxes, low range salary for jobs, Inexperienced/inadequate management
Overwhelmed with workload at the time
Field Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 18, 2018
There was simply a huge work load at the time I was there, but the Field Manager was excellent in working with me in managing the workload. Overall training was good.
We miss gmac
Operations/Claims (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 13, 2018
They have no program in place to motivate and elevate their front line employees.
No career advancements unless you know, or are friends with someone in upper management. Minorities are definitely not progressing, nor are their referrals valued.
Open Door Policy... not really, if you speak up you are looked at in a negative light even when your statements are true. Don't bring issues or team concerns to then table or you will find yourself in a meeting with management. This company is very much so, pull the cart before the horse. Changes are made, you are told after the fact. There are so many surprises with this company. It could be great like it was....but they are all about numbers and could care less about their employees.
Pros
Office Hours
Cons
Poor Management-Lack Employees Trust and Confidence
Fair place to work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 10, 2018
Is not a bad place to work, co workers were great. Management how ever was not good at all. She talks down to you and others, extreme micro manager. Very little training.
Cons
Micro managment
Worst work environment I have ever experienced
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  827 w grove aveApril 9, 2018
An exceedingly demanding job with exceedingly low pay. Mundane tedious work processing insurance papers. Constant mandatory overtime 10-15hrs. a week for long periods of time. Typical office politics. An employee parked vehicle on the white line of the parking stall and the security guard took a picture sending an email requesting vehicle be straightened out before being towed. Management relies on peers to spill information on other peers to discipline employees. If someone doesn't conform to their way of thinking, they are dismissed immediately.
Pros
weekly check
Cons
everything else
Rapidly growing company with its eye on the future
Manager Business Systems Testing (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 9, 2018
The company is growing rapidly by acquisition. There seems to be a disconnect between the senior managers making the decision to acquire and the front line individuals that have to make the integrations possible. It leads to a lot of long hours for many.

However, there is a sense of "do what it takes" to get the job done, and it's good to have support of others across the company.
Pros
The company is actively working to resolve growing pains, Good technology team, Smart CIO and COO
Cons
Benefits are not generous, A lot of change means haphazard and frequent reorganization, unclear career paths
Only as a last resort
Insurance Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 5, 2018
This company plays favorites, very poor communication skills the worse management of any company I’ve ever worked for. It’s almost impossible getting a day off in the custom service department. Your raises and bonuses are based off of sticking to goals and adherence every month that are very hard to obtain. The worse part is, if you go to HR with any of your concerns you become a target do yourself a favor save yourself the headache!!!!
Pros
Decent pay free lunch when OT is offered
Cons
Short lunches, hard getting time off, very poor management, parking
Productive workplace, amazing work/life balance
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 5, 2018
National General Insurance is an amazing place to work. Management is wonderful, coworkers are friendly. Work/life balance is unlike any other place I've ever worked.
Good friendly work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 27, 2018
Everyone is very nice, a very close nit group. They have potlucks and different office activities. They are all very welcoming and chatty. Great place to work and make firends
Would walk a way.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMarch 26, 2018
National General Insurance Company purchased our company in June 2016. I will bullied and degraded by the management staff. Stress level for staff is very high. Several works went out on stress leave or quit because to poor work conditions. . There is not training or support from management. Management is concerned about the bottom line numbers instead of their clients or staff. Everyone is over worked.
Great Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 25, 2018
The company itself was great. It was my first job out of the retail field and I really enjoyed it. I learned a lot about property insurance through the training and most of the executives were nice and down to earth. But on the phones it can get really stressful, especially when you come across situations you are not familiar with. When I worked with them four years ago they had some really immature people working for them. At times I felt I was being bulled in the workplace simply because I was professional and kept to myself. I was young then, I know now to bring that type of issue to management but I quit. A typical day at work included answering questions about insured's bills and helping them pay their premiums. During downtime I would surf the web (appropriate sites only) and I could also listen to music. I don't know how things are now but I hope they've gotten rid of the bad apples...our at least gave them more training on how to communicate with their peers.
Pros
Company events, contests and raffles, relaxed environment, steady workflow
Cons
Take the time to make sure even your entry level staff is professional
i wish i still worked there
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Coraopolis, PAMarch 25, 2018
On the phone Iearned a lot Management was ok Work culture was great everyone was nice and helpful Hardest part was sitting Was time off 5 weeks a year
Great motivation. low pay
Claims Call Center Specialist 2 (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 25, 2018
This is not the place to work unless your god at brown nosing. Also there are no advancements in the company nor pay raises. Great PTO plan and healthcare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National General Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight