National Geographic Employee Reviews

National Geographic is a very mission oriented place of employment.
Specialist, Operations and Editorial (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2018
National Geographic is a very progressive company. Its high quality and standards is the reason is still producing cutting edge news, in print, digital and television.
Pros
Great place to work.
National Geographic
AWS-DevOps and Web Operational Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2018
it was so nice to work with national geographic , The work environment is very friendly and i had a great time. i worked in SREO team which handles the operations and engineering.
Cool Place
Rights Clearance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 13, 2018
There's room for growth and you are able to learn from those above you. Relaxed environment where you can work and still enjoy the benefits of the company.
Morale could be better, but overall diverse work place
Production Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 9, 2018
Every day at National Geographic differs depending on which department you're in. If you're in production, some days are fast pace and interactive. You liaise with a number of departments and third party companies. In the recent years since the FOX buyout and on the brink of the Disney buyout, management has been on a wave. Some months things progress and move forward, and then the next you're not sure if a new policy will impact your day to day assignments. The hardest part of the job is not knowing if there are more projects coming down the pipeline, which will allow you to continue working with the company. the most enjoyable part about the job for me is being able to connect with several key players throughout the country.
Pros
Ice cream socials, interactive events
Cons
Several people at NGP are contractors
Aaa
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GAJuly 26, 2018
Awesome in all. beautiful places on earth .. work in some of hottest places on earth and coldest places on earth .a chance to take the most beautiful photographs in the world ..
Pros
freedom of life
Cons
long months away from home
Good Job
Digital Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 16, 2018
It was a standard job with regular hours and regular amount of work. Some people worked for missions others just did it as a job. Not everything was set up perfect and not everything was defined but all in all everything worked well.
Pros
Discount lunches
Cons
No Remote Work, No flexible work hours
I learned a lot there
Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2018
It was a great place to learn about the industry and to learn about production. They offer advancement from within with is nice, however the work day can be grueling and often require extra hours to complete a typical days work. Not great for work life balance.
Pros
Lots to Learn
Cons
Work Life Balance
Driven by Passion
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 14, 2018
NGS is a place for passionate people to work. You have to believe in the mission to feel satisfied for all of your hard work. The organization of NGS is constantly changing and you need to be able to adapt and move forward.
Excellent place to work!
EA to Executive VP and VPs (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 4, 2018
My years at National Geographic Channel were fulfilling in numerous ways including the many educational and entertainment opportunities offered by both NatGeo Channel and The National Geographic Society. Where else would you be able to experience the thrill of learning about and interacting with scientists, explorers and researchers from all over the world? The work atmosphere was always collaborative and even the newest or least experienced staff member was respected for their opinions and ideas.
Good Place to Work
Producer (Former Employee) –  Washington County, DCMay 2, 2018
Good place to work but lacked direction and focus while I was there several year ago. Cannot say what the current focus is or how the department operates.
Pretty Good Place to Work
Associate Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2018
For a freelancer, they always kept you busy moving you from one place to another and fitting you into all sorts of production teams. Because I was a freelancer, I never got any benefits or PTO, but the managers we always understanding with your personal schedule.

Fast-paced environment full of collaborative teams. A nice place to work.
Good employee communication
Senior Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 28, 2018
While they are going through some drastic changes, including downsizing, they remain committed to their mission. They had great employee benefits; however, I understand that changed when purchased by FOX.
Pros
Awesome, like-minded colleagues
Cons
Instability under new ownership
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 24, 2018
It was a great place to work and it was very engaging with the work that I was given. Everyone was very helpful when I had questions about a project that I was given to complete.
Productive, deep, and expansive workplace
Internship, Development Team (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 23, 2018
National Geographic is an internship opportunity that offers much more than meets the eye. Deep, involved, creative staff with the attitude to match, working with their development department was an incredible experience. With opportunities to be a part of integral meetings within the company, take trips onset, and meet amazing people along the way, this is definitely a chance you don't want to miss.
Pros
Connections, Experience, Hands-on sales and pitch practice
Cons
Short breaks
Mission-Driven work
Photo Director (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 21, 2018
National Geographic is a great place to work. It's not the Shangrila that people imagine it might be....and it has all the trappings of a large company, now more than ever. But I can honestly say that I've never worked at a place where the vast majority of my colleagues were so wholly devoted to the mission and cared so deeply about the work they were doing. I feel lucky to be surrounded by such devoted, highly-skilled, visually-fluent people. So while we all work our fingers to the bone, it's worth it because it's meaningful and you know you're not in it alone.
Amazing Brand and amazing people!
Executive Assistant to the CEO (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 13, 2018
You don't need a man bun to work here - but you likely have one under your hat. You care about our planet and the people in it. You want to be here.
nn
Assistant, Executive Administrative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 4, 2018
good organization with growing opportunity lots of learning opportunities friendly environment and people are smart and very helpful definitely recommend to work at.
Never should have left.
K-8 SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 19, 2018
I was a part of this great company for 2 years and I left to pursue a personal business venture. Great people, great environment and wonderful product line.
Pros
Company Car, Expense Account, pay for Cell phone and home internet.
Cons
None that I can think of.
Great magazine. Very educational. Good place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 11, 2018
This was my first job and my first manager had very little patience with a new employee. I had to do calculations regarding how many phone calls were made a day/week and average them out. I did this for about 3 months then I got a different job in the company.
Pros
Good company to work for
Cons
My first manager was a bully.
Educational
Marketing Coordinator - Senior Admin Assist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2018
Started as an Executive Assistant and after several years was promoted into Marketing. Though as times a stressful antiquated environment. I was able to travel out of the country, learn about other cultures and understand Publishing from the Advertising point-of-view.

A few of my co-workers are still some who I communicate with to-date . However, upper management has since dissipated and the company is not a subsidiary of FOX Media
Pros
Travel, Learning Publishing Advertising
Cons
At times a hostile environment