National Geographic

National Geographic Employee Reviews in New York, NY

New York, NY17 reviews

nationalfoxsocietytalentedmissionproductionprojectexciting

Pretty Good Place to Work

For a freelancer, they always kept you busy moving you from one place to another and fitting you into all sorts of production teams. Because I was a freelancer, I never got any benefits or PTO, but the managers we always understanding with your personal schedule. Fast-paced environment full of collaborative teams. A nice place to work.

Long hours, high risk, low pay.

Typical corporate structure. For a creative, it will be difficult to fully expand your imagination and execute what is best for the project. lots of red tape, many hoops, obstacles. meanwhile, the "budget" will be the same reason that could get you hurt, because of the expectations minus the safety support. more is always expected for less and less budget.

Pros

International travel for the right projects

Cons

Long hours, getting stuck with a project that just isn't aligned with your ideals or morals.

National Geographic insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility

Great people!

Very talented and creative people all around. The team work is exceptional, and everybody is giving their best at any stage of production, so all deadlines can be met.

Productive, deep, and expansive workplace

National Geographic is an internship opportunity that offers much more than meets the eye. Deep, involved, creative staff with the attitude to match, working with their development department was an incredible experience. With opportunities to be a part of integral meetings within the company, take trips onset, and meet amazing people along the way, this is definitely a chance you don't want to miss.

Pros

Connections, Experience, Hands-on sales and pitch practice

Cons

Short breaks

Educational

Started as an Executive Assistant and after several years was promoted into Marketing. Though as times a stressful antiquated environment. I was able to travel out of the country, learn about other cultures and understand Publishing from the Advertising point-of-view. A few of my co-workers are still some who I communicate with to-date . However, upper management has since dissipated and the company is not a subsidiary of FOX Media

Pros

Travel, Learning Publishing Advertising

Cons

At times a hostile environment

A typical day at work.

Interacting with tourists and providing information on the ocean Odysey Encounter. There are no benefits and it can be very hard to move up. Schedule is flexible but unfortunatley, things are very inconsistant and things are not very transparent.

Pros

good hours/schedule

Cons

no career advancement

Productive workplace with high ups and downs

Overall a great place to work. As with many production companies, there are many periods of high stress with brief breaks. Good company, mostly great staff and nice office.

Nothing quite like writing scripts for magnificent footage

Working for National Geographic is a unique experience, filled with hours of challenge, delight, and ingenious and collegial staff. I cherish the years spent pairing just the right narration to breathtaking images,on everything from bioluminescent sea life, to animal behavior in the Serengeti dessert, and human adventurers drawn to the unthinkable.

Pros

pairing words with unique images of animal and human behavior

Cons

Fun place to work at with friendly people, helpful and great place to learn

This was one of my first regular Production assistant jobs and they helped me to learn many of the ins and outs while teaching me many things in my time there.

Content is amazing but management is a mess

The teams are solid and the content is amazing. But management at the most senior levels is chaotic and not in sync with each other so workflow is frustrating and often counter-productive.

Loved It

This was a great experience and I worked with an amazing crew. Definitely an experience I will never forget. We shot a lot and had a lot of fun. I would work here again.

Positive work environment, convoluted management and oversight structure

A good place to work with intelligent, positive-oriented management that is frequently hamstrung by home office (Washington, DC) bureaucracy that can make it difficult to deliver projects without undue - and occasionally unnecessary - second guessing. There are often too many chefs in the kitchen, which makes it frustrating and difficult to satisfy everyone. The most enjoyable aspects of working here are your co-workers and the quality of the work undertaken.

Pros

Intelligent work, intelligent and friendly workplace

Cons

Too much oversight by home office

Fun, encouraging work environment with reasonable hours

I loved working for Nat Geo, the office was lively and the employees always had a chipper attitude. I felt like a peer and an equal alongside my superiors, something not often found in a major company.

Very productive and nurturing environment

Working at National Geographic with Brain Games has been one of the most rewarding work experiences I've ever encountered. It's rare to find such a diverse group of talented individuals who are so in sync with each other's mission to create a high-quality final product. Despite the physical separations of the pre-production, production, and post teams, the workflow seemed like one cohesive family. The management was exceptional and very encouraging of creativity and advancement in roles. As an AP, I learned an extensive amount concerning not just the content, but about the entire storytelling and producing process. Everyone was always extremely friendly and helpful no matter the task at hand. Overall, an unparalleled and unforgettable experience.

Great People

Everyone is great, and are very professional. They are considerate of your situation (being in field), and there's a profound respect given

Amazing crew

A lot of stress but worth the pay and experience. Learned everything from how to manage myself better to learning how to listen to others more sufficiently. Hardest part was at the end when the ratings were not as high as we thought and I was left without a job. I also grew apart from my family afterwards but I think that happened for the good.

Pros

You won't find a better job

Cons

You will wish you were born into a non confrontational family

Great company, small and professional office

I had a lot of opportunity to write while I was here, whether in development or show-based. That was my favorite part, although I didn't get paid much since I worked while I was in school.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Geographic. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss