National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Employee Reviews

Working at NGA
Intelligence System Administrator/Analyst III (Former Employee) –  DC areaJuly 10, 2018
Not a bad place to work alot of Networking available. They have a nice gym and alot of things for the employees to do. Mixture of people who knows you might even meet your future spouse here.
My Experience is Different
Geospatial Counterintelligence Officer (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAJuly 9, 2018
I am only here temporarily with the military so a lot of the questions asked about NGA don't really apply to the benefits of the military. Civilians have a different benefits systems.
Chief of Staff, Cybersecurity (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAJune 25, 2018
I enjoy working for NGA. The people are great and the work is challenging yet rewarding. The Agency has a mission that we support and we know that our work is important because we are directly impacting the warfighter on the battlefield in deployed locations.
Research in GIS (Foundational GEOINT)
Lead Information Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Springifeld, VAJune 21, 2018
Wonderfully challenging environment with plenty of collaboration among very smart GIS engineers. Learned Smart Agile Framework (SAFe) methodology and it made development more streamlined.
Pros
Challenging environment
Cons
Bureaucracy
great career advancement
Employee Relations/Diversity Consultant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJune 5, 2018
great co-workers, great mission, passion for work cannot speak highly enough of it good place to work and to learn and to get ahead excellent benefits will help prepare for retirement
Pros
camaraderie
Cons
sometimes conflicting advice
Golden Handcuffs
Contract Officer Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 20, 2018
Raise your hand if you knew this agency existed. That is okay if you did not, for almost anyone not directly connected to this agency via a family member would not have an inkling as to what this agency did to aid the safety and security of American citizens. Name a product or a service this agency provides. As American citizens, we see a lot of income subtracted from our paychecks. Agencies (and the people who work in them) such as this one are the beneficiaries of your contributions.

This agency specializes in training mostly lively, young, talented individuals, who come into the workforce with solid diplomas and strong work ethics, and proceeds to drain both from them through a risk-averse work culture. Someone who will possess dynamic innovative skills will have to work hard to keep them and maintain them while working here, as mainstream software applications are outdated, and are made even more cumbersome by an onerous security department. In essence, be it by design or otherwise, the longer you remain here, the less your skills become transferrable to the outside world. So, if you wanted to take your talents elsewhere, you'd better do so early on, or this culture you will put lead in your shoes.

Moreover, no matter what tradecraft you reside in, be prepared to hear no customer feedback from whatever outdated product or service you are alleged to provide to that customer. The supervisory chain of command will in most cases be unable to provide that answer. In fact, often times, the supervisor will not be able to know if the customer is happy, dissatisfied, or who
  more... the customer even is.

This agency is overstaffed by literally 60-70%. You could shed these jobs from the agency payroll and, as public citizens, your lives would not be impacted in the least. Many of the positions here have been earned through nepotism, instead of through valid work experience.
Pros
Lifetime security for doing relatively little or no work (if you are bent this way, you will be good to go)
Cons
Everything else.
Chances for Advancement
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Arnold, MO 63010May 1, 2018
This agency assisted me to be promoted from an Administrative Assistant to a Financial Analyze. An enjoyable part of the job is that you have travel.
Pros
Job security
Cons
May have to work overtime a lot
Culture, Management has been going downhill for years
Purchasing Agent-DAWIA (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAApril 26, 2018
I don't have anything Good to say except it is a job, which means I am employed.

The culture is in a word "favortism".

The most enjoyable part is when it's time to go home.

Location was moved a distance for a lot of people accept most of management, in an attempt to discourage folks from not coming. Did not work.

Open office space HORRIBLE idea. Should be banned.

Slowest elevators I have ever seen.

Promotions depend on "who" you know, and what projects you were given to put on your resume.

Changed career titles this year. Same pay.
Pros
Maxiflex
Cons
Overpriced poor quality food. Not enough parking. Too loud.
Technology and Bureaucracy
Geospatial Intelligence Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 10, 2018
Relatively new government agency (21 years old) that still has an identity crisis. Is it a cutting-edge technology data and service provider, or is it an intelligence agency? Both and neither.
Pros
Good people.
Cons
Lousy clique-ish management culture.
N/a
Chief, Professional Development (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAMarch 23, 2018
This was a good experience, however the agency seems to be shifting in management and culture. New shifts are forcing people into positions that they are not ready for.
Excellent Agency
Intelligence Imagery Analyst (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 23, 2018
Working for NGA was a good experience. They have excellent management, training and working environment. Advancement was excellent as well as training.
Pros
Government
Cons
Very challenging Top Secret project.
Business Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Northern VirginiaMarch 14, 2018
Documented manual processes that needed to be automated. Interviewed many people to understand their responsibilities. Can't say much more due to the sensitivity of the information.
Pros
Very important work that had national security significance.
Cons
Too much travel required.
Mission yes! Culture NO!
GEOINT Officer (Current Employee) –  VirginiaMarch 13, 2018
Mission, variety and type of work, and benefits at NGA are definitive positives for working at the agency. The culture of NGA, that presents a massive and problematic challenge. The culture and antiquated thinking at NGA are in need of an extreme makeover (starting at the top). Massive endemic mismanagement by too many individuals coupled by the fact that they are GEOINT illiterate, unwilling to change, focused on self, and refuse to humbly serve (antithesis of leadership) greatly hinder NGA from being a transformative and leading agent in securing the nation. Given the current condition of NGA, I would NOT accept a job at the agency barring a substantive cultural change.
Pros
Mission, type and variety of work, benefits
Cons
Culture, Technical Infrastructure
Typical government agency.
Imagery Analyst (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAMarch 12, 2018
Typical government agency that is currently being ran by a man who has shown poor leadership values. Lower management is wonderful but upper management trying to control where your career is going.
Pros
Federal government, in my 30 years, in general, has been rewarding and has allowed me to grow professionally. Wonderful salary, terrific benefits and training.
Cons
Do not like the direction the agency is headed.
Mission
Planner (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAMarch 1, 2018
The mission is fantastic, however lately the culture of change has been difficult for many. I have enjoyed every job and made the best out of every situation.
Pros
mission.
Cons
leadership
Good benefits but little room for advancement.
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 28, 2018
Good benefits but little room for advancement. I enjoyed the teamwork aspect of working with my security team. We were responsible for the checking of employee ID's to ensure they were cleared to enter certain areas of the building.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Little room to move up the ladder.
Intense rewarding environment - could be stressfull at times
Lead Geospatial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COFebruary 27, 2018
Stuctured day - Early Meetings, Collaborating at the start, intense analysis/data mining all day. Good Management and co-workers. Climate a little quiet (nature of imagery/GEOSPATIAL) analysis)
Great employer and workforce
Inspector/Investigator (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOFebruary 5, 2018
I really enjoyed my time with NGA and the great people who worked there. It has great benefits and the pay is good. I would recommend it anyone, especially young people who are starting out and would like be on the cutting edge of technology.
Pros
Federal employee benefits
Can't really review
Senior Imagery Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJanuary 31, 2018
I was only stationed here as military so I can't really review it as a company. It seems like a good place to work as a civilian, I would most likely enjoy it.
IC Agency
INFORMATION SYSTEMS SECURITY SPECIALIST (ISSS) (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAJanuary 23, 2018
Great Working Environment for Federal Employee's and Contractors. Collaborative working areas, Requires TS/SCI and Poly. Great Location, Free Parking.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight