Play YouTube video button
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
73Above average

National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA105 reviews
If you can get a job with this agency jump on it and keep it. It is super fast paced but amazing people and extremely helpful as well. If given the opportunity I would go back
I joined NGA a handful of few years ago, and it's still the best career decision I've ever made. For starter's it's led by a great Vice Admiral and leader in Director Sharp. It's also a federal government job, so it has all the great tangible and intangible benefits that come with it (plus a few more that aren't offered to all agencies!). I love the mission and how we support the national security effort; it makes a difference knowing that I'm doing my part in something bigger than myself. The biggest reason why I joined NGA is to get better work-life balance than the private sector offers, and that has proven to be a good decision for me, my physical and mental health, and my family. Lastly, I love the career development options and upward mobility. If you perform well, you'll advance. It took me a little longer than I had hoped, but I've already received one big promotion in my time with NGA.
Pros
Work-Life Balance, Benefits, Facilities, Schedule Flexibility, Challenging Work, Great Mission
Cons
Constant changes
Great mission and culture working with great people who value the talents and contributions of a diverse workforce (military, civil service, and contractors).
I really enjoyed my job for 30 years. My degree is in Geography. We made maps and chart to support the military. I managed 12 professional individuals. It was a fabulous work environment.
Excellent career management, promotion possibilities and performance management. A variety of positions exist well beyond the intelligence professional workrole.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
For me everyday was different never know what to expect; there are a few people that can be trusted and not everyone is your friend. If your first and second line supervisors don't like you, your career is over. They will create a hostile environment and create unnecessary stress.
Wasted too much of my life believing in this agency's mission. I began working with a predecessor agency that became NIMA. When the agency changed its name to NGA the first few years were tolerable and then the culture began a downward spiral. Although I did well and became a mid-level manager, I felt like it was all for nothing. I devoted a lot of time to this organization and my health suffered for all my effort.
Same stuff, different day - boring and uninspiring. That description a applies both to the work, the people, and the management structure (whether government or contractor - doesn't matter). OH - and talk about an indecisive bunch. One week, they want the report package looking one way, something else the next, and on the third week, we're back where we started from.
For employees that do not possess Geospatial skills, there is a severe lack of opportunities to advance once one has reached the GS15 level. Also, depending on the panel, many senior managers do not consider military experience as a work broadening factor, they only consider job experience obtained within the agency.
Great place to work, family oriented and inclusive. Enjoyed being able to advance my career. Ability to receive training as needed. Mission driven environment.
I appreciated the ability to work for the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency and its predecessor agencies. I started in 1989 at Defense Mapping Agency after working at the Department of Labor and retired from the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency in 2019.
Estimate that 30% of work force at NGA is contractors. Contractors do not receive recognition for good performance. Security and CI policies and SOPs are lacking.
Good place to work. I do not have one hundred and fifty characters to state other than the fact that I love the building and all the cafe areas and bathrooms and eating areas.
Pros
No comments
Cons
No comments
I had a great time learning about the mission-oriented goals of the intelligence community. This agency is substantial for all the support they give and I had a great learning experience this summer.
It was a good place to work at. I got along with most employees, the atmosphere was good, the work was interesting and fulfilling. However, the very upper management was at times a chore to endure.
NA

Give us your opinion about a typical day at work, what you learned, management, workplace culture, the hardest part of the job, the most enjoyable part
At times I loved working there and at others it was frustrating. The work I did was fulfilling and interesting, The culture there was nice but the management and the time reorganizing the departments a strain on the nerves
Received great pay for a job I love. Was able to take classes to improve my skills and become a better analyst. Am able to travel to different locations.
Highly recommended workplace. Awesome core values, and important national security and defense mission. Globally deployed, with great people and great career development opportunities.
Valuable mission and great leadership with the new Director. Great facilities, that include a food court and exercise facility. The new leadership of the agency has changed the culture.
The agency is a good organization in which to begin a career in geospatial analysis. It offers overseas assignments and an excellent work-life balance.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Reviews by Location