national governors association Employee Reviews

NGA is a productive and family orient company.
Payroll Specialist/Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 20, 2018
A typical work day for me at NGA, was making sure that all employees were paid in a timely matter. Ensuring that reconciliation of all payroll accounts balanced.

What I learned was patient, that everyone will not meet all deadlines that are set before them.

The atmosphere at NGA was family orient, that was a big component of knowing that if you had family emergency it was understandable and your job will not be held against you.

The hardest part of my position was receiving time-sheets in a timely matter.

The most enjoyable part of my job was having all employees on direct deposit, accounts balance accurately and employees having the assurance that their pay will be posted in their bank accounts timely.
Pros
The company worked as a team.
Cons
I personally didn't like the Health Care Providers that the company changed to.
Great Entry Level DC Starter Job
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 3, 2018
Great place to work if you are a young go-getter starting out in DC. Great place to work if you are on the management team. Not a great place to work if you are somewhere in between. Go there, have fun, make contacts, and then get out.
Pros
Fun, smart colleagues. Fun happy hours.
Cons
Low Pay, little advancement.
Very productive
Best Practices, Education Contractor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 15, 2017
The supervisor was very respectful and amazing. She allowed us to utilize our talents and grow at the same time. She always made sure that we were ok and at ease.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
the benefits wasn't as great
A very professional and well respected place to work
Meeting Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 8, 2017
If you wish to work with intelligent and highly motivated people, this is the place for you. In spite of being a high profile association, it is a friendly and relaxed place to work.
Pros
good benefits, caring people
Cons
really bipartisan, if you have strong feelings regarding partisan politics not a place for you.
Productive and nice organization
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 17, 2017
While working at NGA I had the opportunity to meet new Governors and their staff. Traveled 30% of the time to help coordinate meetings.
Excellent place for experience
Legislative Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 14, 2014
NGA offers a lot to employees in terms of contacts, experience, work and overall benefits. However, managers are not the best and it's a very top heavy organization. Compensation is OK for a 9-5 job, but employees are required to work considerably more hours. There is no work-life balance.
Flexible opportunity that was allows individuals to utilize their strengths to as high a degree as they choose to
Economic Division Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJanuary 3, 2014
Enjoyable work environment with friendly work environment