National Grid Employee Reviews

The good old days
Meter Dept (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RI 02865March 16, 2019
I worked their 24 years got payed way more than my high school diploma was worth. All benefits for me and my family, pension and 401 k great people great environment then the grid came in, the corporate world. In 2011 they offered severances to 5000 people; good workers, jobs; whatever you way you see it. I was ready To leave. But I really do appreciate the opportunity to have worked there in many many ways.
Great place to start a career
Contractor - short term (P2P Master Data Analyst) (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 16, 2019
I was brought into National Grid as a contractor and I have to say that the manager that brought me in and her team has been nothing short of fantastic. The company culture is a whole seems very warm and welcoming and if given the opportunity for permanent employment at National Grid I would wholeheartedly accept it.
Pros
Nice atmosphere, lots of training
Cons
Need way more in-house IS staff
wanted a more challenging position
Payroll Analyst (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 8, 2019
I didn't feel as though I used all of my valuable experience there. Work environment was good. would have liked to stay if there was room for advancement. The department already had their management team in place.
Professional Company
Assistant (Former Employee) –  119 Green StreetMarch 7, 2019
I would spend the day helping papers be filed and transferring calls to whoever need be, I learned what it was like to work in an actual office. The hardest part of the job was being surrounded by people way older than me but it helped me mature as a whole.
Pros
Free food, welcoming co-workers
Cons
I was the youngest person there
I love working at National Grid most of the time.
Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandMarch 2, 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job is its people. The hardest part of the job is a long commute. Storm duty can be challenging and is required of all. Sometimes 12-hour shifts for multiple days.
Poor pay if you're not a lineman or their supervisor
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 20, 2019
Linemen and their departments are very low energy. Typical union mentality. They are very well compensated though. Departments outside of line work suffer severely in the pay arena compared to the outside world. Management is poor, decisions are made at the wrong level, HR is an absolute nightmare.

But there are some good people, and the benefits are great. Thats why I stick around.
Great job opportunity/salary not sufficient
Call Center Rep II Central Operations (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 17, 2019
Job has great benefits/ allowable overtime when you want. The salary wasn’t worth the job. Not fair to handle residential and commercial accts. In order to see money you have to do OT. The pay rate is 16/hr it should be more with the job we have to handle.
Pros
Benefits/Overime always open
Cons
Salary 16/hr should be more with the title
Summary
Principal LNG Portfolio Modernization Manager (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 17, 2019
An excellent work/career provider offering opportunities and resources to excel. With new processes and practices coming into play the company provides its staff grown and leadership potential.
great managers
Gas Specialist (Former Employee) –  beverky maFebruary 15, 2019
great company. National Grid rains its employees about job safety but trains you to do job effectively. It also is a company that protes from within and gives opportunity to move around
Pros
natioanl grid trains its employees to do job safe and effective
Cons
can be physically demandingh
very poor culture, constantly re-orging
VP (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAFebruary 11, 2019
Company is constantly in transition and can't figure out what they want to do next. Senior Management has a complete lack of care for workers and at all levels of the organization.
Pros
good benefits - big bonuses
Cons
employee morale
stressful
CUSTOMER METER SERVICE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Hewlett, NYFebruary 10, 2019
must be able to learn and apply procedures of NYS gas operations and be able to maintain compliance of NYS public service commission regulations.Be available for overtime.
Pros
career paths
Highly Micromanaged
Revenue Cycle Management Associate (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 4, 2019
Butt kiss culture. Many managers were promoted because they kiss butt or gave s++++l favors. Some in management are clueless, unqualified, and there because of nepotism.
Pros
union
Cons
micromanaged
Great Company as a whole, Management structure needs to improve
Salesforce Developer (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJanuary 25, 2019
The company in general is a very good place to work. The management structure is too vertical and needs to improve....................................
Company gets its way all the time
Control and Intergation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albany County, NYJanuary 21, 2019
Management is poor and takes care of their friends. Policies aren't fair and don't care much about the average worker. Many people have left National Grid to find better companies. Better companies that treat their worker more fairly and better. I have seen many things swept under the rug when it came to executives making huge mistakes but don't let that be an average worker. You would be FIRED.
Pros
Great co-worker
Cons
Very Poor Management
National Grid exhibit Professionalism in all aspects
SAP, MAXIMO & SalesForce Training Consultant (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJanuary 17, 2019
National Grid is an exceptional place to work and they focus on professionalism and employee comfort. Management is easily approachable and will talk to all.
Pros
Respect, professionalism, and all feel appreciated.
Cons
Nothing comes to mind
work place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 15, 2019
It was fast pace and smooth. I enjoyed very much what I did. Various job specs.I enjoyed my paycheck and most of the time going to work. I enjoy being around people and learning new work specs.
Stressful with benefits
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 2, 2019
Company is very policy oriented, with low opportunity of individuality. High numbers were applauded over workers who completed more difficult cases. Excellent Coworkers.
shooting themselves in the foot
Contract Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MADecember 26, 2018
Getting a black eye with the lockout of the gas field employees.

Currently in a lockout with the field employees in the gas division.

Sometimes, the rigidity of the organizational reduce the ability
Maintenance Mechanic Helper (Substations)
P2P Associate 3 / Maintenance Mechanic Helper (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 19, 2018
A great place to work. It pays well and have very nice health insurance and benefits. In the office its easy to get caught up in gossip but in the field with the hard hat crews, the job is demanding with a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day. I have learned alot working in the office and in the field at National Grid.I enjoyed learning about electrical work the most at the job. The hardest part of the job was dealing with temperatures below zero and a foot of snow.
Pros
Great Pay and Insurance
Cons
Nepatism is extremely high there. They hire family first.
worst mistake of my life
Maintenance Mechanic C (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYDecember 16, 2018
Thought i was joining the best of the best. Far from the case. They have no training, positions are based solely on seniority. Management is unethical and vindictive.
Pros
money

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Grid. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at National Grid.

Powered by Comparably