National Grid Employee Reviews

worst mistake of my life
Maintenance Mechanic C (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYDecember 16, 2018
Thought i was joining the best of the best. Far from the case. They have no training, positions are based solely on seniority. Management is unethical and vindictive.
Pros
money
Seeking a career opportunity as a Business Analyst
Business Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 28, 2018
Seeking a career opportunity as a Business Analyst that will help me to improve my technical and managerial repertoire and will enrich my skills and at the same time will serve for the benefit of the organization.
Fast paced environment, Different tasks each day
TECHNICIAN B (Current Employee) –  Amesbury, MANovember 27, 2018
I really enjoy working in a team environment. The majority of your co-workers are always willing to pull together and get the job done. Just about all of our work is outdoors so you are never in the same environment or situation.
Pros
Working in a team
Cons
Work life balance can be tough sometimes
Good Start
Finance Operations Internship (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 11, 2018
Worked as an intern for National Grid, and wouldn't mind returning back to National Grid.

National Grid gave me an introduction in the world of Business and Finance. However, I wish I could learn more. Sometimes feel like my learning experience was limited
Pros
Great benefits, Not too stressful
Cons
Management is sometimes not fit for position
Financial Reporting Manager (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 9, 2018
A typical day at National Grid consists of working on supplying financial information for the external and internal parties, budgeting, forecasting, financial reporting.
Fast face work environment
Executive support, Tech (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MANovember 7, 2018
It was fast-face work environment due to the nature of support been provided to end users. Easy commute from where I lived, My manager was a great person.
Pros
Fast-face, get to lean more skills
Cons
Crowded work environment
Old Atmosphere w/ Nowhere to Move
Manager - FP&A (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 1, 2018
Its like being stuck in a stale 1970s office. New ideas are not welcomed and unless you're a lobbyist or political game enthusiast, theres nowhere to move here.
National Grid is a great company to work, I enjoyed my time there.
Sr. Transmission/Substation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 1, 2018
National Grid (previously Niagara Mohawk) was an excellent company to work for and gain a wide array of utility experience from experienced engineers, operations staff, line electricians and other support technical staff.
Pros
Interaction with executive management was frequent and encouraged.
Its a toss up depending upon location
Gas meter service technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 26, 2018
Overall good company to work for. Too many different "standards " or work ethics. Very OBVIOUS rift between management and Union. Lots of micromanagement and "spying ".
great expierience
CMS/MSR Temp (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIOctober 25, 2018
Great place to work, wish i could have gotten on full time but timing wasn't right ..Managers very understanding and helpful, treated with respect by management and fellow workers,,
Pros
good company and pay
Cons
temp job
Poor management and only the perception of caring about customers
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAOctober 20, 2018
Massive disconnect between upper management and customer facing roles. Upper management keeps over hiring VPs and forcing reorgs when they realized they're top heavy.. Again. Instead of putting their money there, they need to put it into training, resources and tools to allow the customer facing roles to deliver in the customer service metrics the company sets. Instead they set aggressive customer sat goals but set the employees up to fail with neither the training, the people or the software necessary to meet those goals. Lower management can be petty and passive aggressive and instead of encouraging hard workers and self starters with rewards like remote flexibility, you're punished by having the things that are important to you taken away if you upset or challenge them.
In addition, some roles are centralized when it makes more sense to be in a location where the team you're working with to accomplish your jobs are located.
Pros
Benefits package, salary, work/life balance
Cons
Petty lower management, commute/lack of remote work days, terrible morale, lack of support for customer facing roles in training, tools and resources, set up to fail
great career path
district operator assistant (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYOctober 17, 2018
a lot of room to grow lots of room for advancement with many department available within the union or management very good benefits and on job training
family type atmosphere
Machine Operator (A) (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 15, 2018
typical day at work, definitely working 10 plus hours a day, .... team work required. knowledgeable immediate supervision, dealing with individual personnel at times is very challenging.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
Rates are not competitive with industry standards
Currently in a labor dispute, no end in sight
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  West Roxbury, MAOctober 14, 2018
Long days
Challenges home life
Dangerous job
Need to pay attention to detail
Rewarding to help people heat their homes

Rewarding to keep people safe from natural gas catastrophies
Cons
Upper management
Fast pace
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAOctober 12, 2018
Co-workers are great. We have a great team and everyone works well together. We are friends outside of work.

We help each out with our work and are there for each other for support.
Excellent Employer With A Strong Safety Culture
Senior Plant Engineer (Current Employee) –  Northport, NYOctober 11, 2018
National Grid is an excellent employer that encourages professional growth, a strong safety culture, and full managerial support to not cut corners or ignore safety issues.
Bring on the storm
Long Term Employee (Current Employee) –  New York StateOctober 8, 2018
National Grid's number one benefit is the people who work here are genuinely good people who are committed to NG being a success. There are a lot of good tools at NG (process excellence, promotion of what good leadership looks like, self-service people systems and processes) but the company struggles with allowing people to do what they were hired to do. A lot of hand holding, lack of honest feedback, and too many priorities at once makes for a confusing and often inefficient work environment. The company works best under a lot of pressure and tight deadlines in terms of delivering (hence why we are so good in storms!) but it's just not sustainable and makes for a culture of mistrust and resentment of leadership. There is a lot of potential here if only the Leaders could move it forward. I have stuck around for many years because I like my coworkers, I like the idea of working for a company that provides an essential service and provides it well but I am finding more and more opportunities exist like this in companies who don't have so many leadership concerns.
productive work environment
Revenue Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 27, 2018
fast paced and continual learning environment. encourage growth personally and professionally. team meeting twice a week. look for develop ideas from all employees. far time for breaks. supervisor is hands on with helping employees improve performance
National Grid Employement
Supervisor in Field Operations (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 21, 2018
National Grid is a decent place to work. It is a large company, so there are many different departments to work in. I have spent my career in the Field Operations area, so I can speak on how it is to work in this area. There are many pro's in regards to working at National Grid. I have been working there for over 17 years, and I personally feel that I am in need of change. A newer employee would probably enjoy the challenges that are faced when working with gas.
Pros
Consistent work, great people to learn from, job security.
Cons
Stressful, long working hours, poor training.
Very disappointed..
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 19, 2018
I was always told this was such a great company to work for and there were endless opportunities for advancement...well that’s a joke. I have mastered my position within 3 months of being here, taking on supervisor duties. Yet there are no opportunities anywhere. You only get raises if the entire department meets their numbers.
Pros
Laid back management
Cons
Very low pay, high stress, bad hours, no opportunity for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Grid. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP20%
In the Top 20% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at National Grid.

Powered by Comparably