National Grid Employee Reviews

Fast pace
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAOctober 12, 2018
Co-workers are great. We have a great team and everyone works well together. We are friends outside of work.

We help each out with our work and are there for each other for support.
Excellent Employer With A Strong Safety Culture
Senior Plant Engineer (Current Employee) –  Northport, NYOctober 11, 2018
National Grid is an excellent employer that encourages professional growth, a strong safety culture, and full managerial support to not cut corners or ignore safety issues.
Bring on the storm
Long Term Employee (Current Employee) –  New York StateOctober 8, 2018
National Grid's number one benefit is the people who work here are genuinely good people who are committed to NG being a success. There are a lot of good tools at NG (process excellence, promotion of what good leadership looks like, self-service people systems and processes) but the company struggles with allowing people to do what they were hired to do. A lot of hand holding, lack of honest feedback, and too many priorities at once makes for a confusing and often inefficient work environment. The company works best under a lot of pressure and tight deadlines in terms of delivering (hence why we are so good in storms!) but it's just not sustainable and makes for a culture of mistrust and resentment of leadership. There is a lot of potential here if only the Leaders could move it forward. I have stuck around for many years because I like my coworkers, I like the idea of working for a company that provides an essential service and provides it well but I am finding more and more opportunities exist like this in companies who don't have so many leadership concerns.
productive work environment
Revenue Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 27, 2018
fast paced and continual learning environment. encourage growth personally and professionally. team meeting twice a week. look for develop ideas from all employees. far time for breaks. supervisor is hands on with helping employees improve performance
National Grid Employement
Supervisor in Field Operations (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 21, 2018
National Grid is a decent place to work. It is a large company, so there are many different departments to work in. I have spent my career in the Field Operations area, so I can speak on how it is to work in this area. There are many pro's in regards to working at National Grid. I have been working there for over 17 years, and I personally feel that I am in need of change. A newer employee would probably enjoy the challenges that are faced when working with gas.
Pros
Consistent work, great people to learn from, job security.
Cons
Stressful, long working hours, poor training.
Very disappointed..
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 19, 2018
I was always told this was such a great company to work for and there were endless opportunities for advancement...well that’s a joke. I have mastered my position within 3 months of being here, taking on supervisor duties. Yet there are no opportunities anywhere. You only get raises if the entire department meets their numbers.
Pros
Laid back management
Cons
Very low pay, high stress, bad hours, no opportunity for advancement.
LNG INTERN (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MASeptember 18, 2018
Great Place to work. Really enjoyed working here and relally learned a lot about the industry. Would highly recommend working here to any one looking for great expirencc e
Company is deadline driven.
Business Consultant, Portfolio Planner (Former Employee) –  Hicksville NYSeptember 13, 2018
Days include both meaningful meetings and stats meetings.
Staff is expected to perform multiple roles.
Most work is outsourced to vendors requiring staff to manage.
Great summer!
Intern - Talent Acquisition (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MASeptember 5, 2018
National Grid was one of my favorite internship experiences that I had during college. I looked forward to going into work every day and truly enjoyed both the people I worked with and the work I was doing. I felt valued and as though I were a real full-time employee rather than just an intern.
ok
Income Tax Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 17, 2018
company is ok to work for lots of changes. Constant changes hard to keep up with all the changes as the company positions itself to compete in an ever changing environment.
Moving through an org design currently that requires patience
Growth PMO Principal (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 15, 2018
Current reorg is leaving a lot up in the air. Roles and responsibilities have been assigned, but new work streaks are moving at different paces, leading to friction.
Good to work for hard to beleave in .....Most times
Backhoe Operator/B Technician (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 9, 2018
High paced.....Welled trained hoisting operator/ laborer. You learn how to work well as a crew. You mastre the art of decision making ...Under pressure. And the team work was the ultimate plus. We had each others back
Pros
The team work atmosjpher
Cons
Not knowing what could be next for me
Opportunity
Established Service Rep II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 9, 2018
Great people at all levels of the company - joining Ngrid is like joining a family and everyone is supportive of each other and has a great time together
Interesting projects - I have worked at Ngrid for 2 years and no 2 projects are alike
A great culture -
high paced volume
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MAAugust 8, 2018
While working for National Grid you need to be able to talk to customers, solve their problems and type on the computer correctly all at the same time.
Pros
computer skills
Cons
short breaks
Locked out
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MAAugust 8, 2018
I have been locked out since June25 I plan on returning when the labor dispute is over.It is currently a very difficult place to work ,very tense atmosphere.
overall positive prior to lock out
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MAAugust 6, 2018
Company locked out union workers, trying to reduce benefits. Overall positive enviornment at present time hopefuly will not change due to lock out. Very structured enviornment.
Pros
busy
Cons
very structured
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 2, 2018
Management has limited insight regarding codes and standards that exist outside of its corporate structure. Gossiping is pervasive in the ranks both in operations and in management.
Productive but lack of management
Backup server data & migrate to new Win7 host (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYAugust 1, 2018
Dealing with managers out of the country. How do not understand point a to point b. Also language barriers. Devices being shipped to the wrong locations.
great job turned to good job
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MAAugust 1, 2018
when I first started working here it was my dream job, it has turned into just a job, the pay is great, the benefits are good but the retirement is terrible, unless you work here for 40+ years the pension is the worst in the industry.
Pros
hourly pay, overtime
Cons
pension, future health care
Used to be a nice place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 30, 2018
Cut backs have been way too drastic with labor. Now every day is stressful with goals that are not obtainable.

With the stress, team work is minimal, no time, need to work on own work. Atmosphere is snappy, tense, and quality is sacrificed for quick quantitative responses.

The 'transparent' management is anything BUT transparent.

Upper management is making uneducated elimination of positions.
Decisions appear to be more made on a popularity contest or family ties instead of competencies.
Cons
pushing high deductible health care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Grid. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight