National Grid
61Average

National Grid Employee Reviews

United States557 reviews
Good place to work Great people. The major downside is constant reorganization so employees are always on edge with regard to job security. Overall I would recommend to
Worked in customer service for about 2 years. Was promised there was lots of room for advancement in the company and there are zero opportunities unless your spouse or parent works here. You pay union dues for a union that never has your back even when managers are clearly in the wrong for calling you out for their screw ups and short comings. Enormous call volume and they are all about numbers not about providing good customer service. Policies, procedure, and systems are never consistent and change like the wind. Don't get ill at work with especially a stomach bug. They don't provide enough personal time to handle your bathroom business and they won't let you go home even though you have sick time. Most managers are only interest in covering their own butts. Some managers don't know how to run computer programs to even run meetings. Save yourself the stress and agrivation and go work elsewhere or continue to collect unemployment....your better off!!
Pros
It's a paycheck
Cons
Time spent at Grid can never be replaced. The corporate speak is loud, but actions scream the truth. The culture is that of a lazy untitled union with a nurtured management stepping over one another to raise to the top.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Life balance
Everyday working at National Grid, was different but you learned something every single day. Whether it was knowing how to effectively respond to irate customers by giving excellent customer services tips, to servicing both residential and commercial businesses with gas, everyday was an opportunity to help better the lives of others
Worked in a team that had great work life balance while seeing other teams working long hours. I was bored at work 80% of time throughout the years that I worked there and it is also partly why I had to leave (did not feel needed or value adding).

While there were many great and competent people there, the office politics and favoritism from management down to the lowest level of employees were hard to ignore (I generally avoided gossips and politics but things) and made it an uncomfortable working environment. The Finance department did feel like a PwC alumni reunion. Many were talented people but it certainly felt like some other equally talented people were passed up for opportunities due to lack of association. Lots of obvious buttering up and buddying up that certain senior management members seemed to enjoy.

There were also many people that avoided responsibilities/accountability or outright uncooperative, and such issue appeared to be culture driven (first thing I noticed when I joined). I believe this is due to the office politics. Many people seemed only want assignments/projects with greater recognition/credits and small projects usually ended up incomplete and people that were under appreciated did not bother to put in efforts.

The company also reorganized frequently which reflects the lack of coherent operational strategy and directions from management. Although I found opportunities during these reorgs, some were let go or forced to quit (assigned to other less favorable teams). Their staffing strategy was also a myth. I did not have enough work (not
 - more...
Pros
Work life balance, compensation, 401k, stock options
Cons
Culture, office politics/favoritism
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Needs more communication between higher managers and union workers. Sometimes the union doesn't get everything right. Since they have to bargain for everything
The company’s main goal is safety for me and my coworkers were like a family who help one another and teach one another and learn from one another. Every day we do a job brief to discuss the job duties for the day to get the job done right and in a safe manner.
Pros
Union/ good pay medical
Cons
Not a great work life balance but good pay if you can handle the stress and constant pressure to be perfect during your year of probation. Some good people but often overshadowed by poor management culture that prioritizes not rocking the boat over genuine communication. No real advancement opportunities except for middle management which has nothing to do with previous role.
Began in 1978 and worked until 2011. Was able to move within the company thru post and bid procedures and experience the many different departments in which I worked.
28 years were under IBEW. Had a great career with no regrets!
Learned a good deal about the organization
Had a good experience with the project mangers and procurement

Subcontractors were a problem on change orders and resolutions of the monies on the change orders
As a contractor working supporting a great group of field engineers and management, I have nothing but good to say about the people with whom I worked and the environment in which I worked as I supported their efforts.
National Grid is a British company with subsidiaries in New England and New York State, and so they are more pro-union, employee-friendly, and eco-friendly than similar power companies in the United States. There is a concern that the company will divest in their American interests if the Labour Party gets back into power in the UK, but that's a very minor concern.
There was a fair share of unnecessary workplace drama, but it was handled well. There was always plenty of work that needed to be done and we were critically understaffed at times, but that didn't matter. I never felt rushed. I was a contractor, and while I didn't get benefits and my pay was pre-negotiated I felt valued. Management seemed in over their heads with our particular project, but they were approachable. I actually miss this position.
There is a great progression at this company. Just don’t want to live in New York State anymore. Looking for the same if not similar pay and advance meant in another utility company in a different state.
Unfortunately my co workers and I have been mistreated here for quite some time. There has been issues in the past from physical abuse to verbal abuse. It is documented with human resources and our union and nothing has been done. There are many other companies structured better than this one. It may be better to persue getting a job elsewhere
National Grid is a company that will take care of you. If you are a worker who at least tries to actually work and get a job done they will bend over backwards for you and your family. Very veteran friendly.
This is one of the best places to work if you want to work at a utility company. I wish they pay more than what they're paying currently. Overall, I had a good experience.
Your experiences will depend on your job, manager, and expectations of the job. Management likes to remind all contractors that, even though they are expected to produce more than most FTEs, you are not an FTE and shouldn't expect a job offer.
Good for an internship experience, but not a lot of collaboration. Much of the summer was spent doing individual contributor tasks that were funneled up to a senior analyst. Cube life.
The pay is good (if you can work a lot of overtime). But very stressful call center environment. It’s a high school environment where people form cliques, supervisors easily practice favoritism and even the supervisors sleep around with their subordinates.
Great people to work with there. Not a very high stress environment at all. Workplace is not very modern though. Onsite cafeteria is NOT subsidised and the food will remind you of an elementary school cafeteria.
National Grid does a great job of emphasizing critical assignment timelines while also understanding that employees have responsibilities outside of the office.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Grid. Our community is ready to answer.
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP50%
In the Top 50% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at National Grid.