National Grid Employee Reviews

bad experience. unethical management
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2018
bad experience. unethical management. made me TWO permanent full time offers which I declined. the managment tried to hire me way below market rate and then got upset with me and treated me unprofessionally (backlash) when I declined.
Use to be a fun family place.
Equipment Operator/Driver (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 8, 2018
Ever since grid took over, not fun. Was what I thought, well paid. Knew they were union busters. Wasn't worried until now. National grid is very selfish. They really don't care of employees. Just profits.
Average place to work
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 3, 2018
Average - nothing to interesting to put. It's a relatively large company, I only recommend working with National Grid, if you are familiar with large company politics and procedures
N/a
Global Information Systems Process Change Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 2, 2018
The company is good overall, but lot of changes in the organization presents a challenge.

Benefits and compensation is average. Due to many individuals working remotely, it can feel secluded at times.
A stable place to work with visible committments to communities where they operate in
Manager Finance Business Partners (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2018
The work life balance is appealing. There is constant change. There is a re-organization almost every two years. I had the opportunity to be exposed to Statutory and Federal regulations as it applies to energy companies. National Grid identifies and promotes energy efficiency options for customers and sustainability options for large companies.
Pros
work life balance, view of energy for the future and the sustainability of the planet
Cons
opportunities for growth and advancement, frequent re-orgs
talks the walk not the other way around
Regional Operations Sales & Growth Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYJune 23, 2018
I am a veteran who suffers with chronic PTSD and am finally in a place where I have come to terms with dealing with the flashbacks and nightmares. Living with PTSD was, and is my life; my company did not understand what it means to be a veteran and suffer so they let me go as if I was a square peg that didn't fit into their round hole. Unlike National Grid (NGG), I am still very thankful of others in my life who have stood by me and provided the tools I need to get by day to day while I struggle with this nationally recognized mental disability.
Very hard to advance unless you are an engineer. No value placed on other degrees
Sr. Representative, Gas Sales Support (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJune 22, 2018
Never very happy while working there. Company more concerned with social issues than getting the work done. Storm support a major issue. Way too top heavy completely dominated by engineers. Need major outside influx of people with marketing and customer service backgrounds. Way too many computer facing employees who don't listen to their customers.
Pros
Somewhat stable
Cons
Extremely hard to advance, always cutting costs, very difficult place to work
good company
Accounts Processer (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MAJune 20, 2018
Overall good place to work at. Bad weather sucks, because you are not allowed to leave the premises and have to put in 12-15 hour shifts. Its a union system which gives you job security but they also take $20 from you.
Pros
near my home
Cons
longer shifts in bad weather
Review
Lead Process Manager (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 20, 2018
Being forced to submit a review. Sorry for the long winded response but they make you put in at least one hundred and fifty characters before they wil
Opportunity for Growth
Customer Support and Training Analyst (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 18, 2018
National Grid offers various development programs which help in building a career with good pay and benefits.

If serious about growing within a company, National Grid fosters that type of growth.
Pros
Growth, development, constant change
Cons
Have to research info on your own, or build supportive network prior to moving up.

Want to know more about National Grid?

Ask a question
Terrible work environment
Pipe Handler (Former Employee) –  DORCHESTER, MAJune 17, 2018
I would not recommend this company to anyone with any sort of life outside of work. It was a high demand, long hour, non-welcoming environment. Life outside of work didn't matter to most of the people I worked for.
Pros
high pay
Cons
long unscheduled hours
Audit
Sox AUDITOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2018
Good Company to work for, some Dept have long Hours
You will learn new Skills, there is a lot of training
Very hard to get promoted, Salary will be the same for a long time
Pros
Good place to work for
Cons
Very Difficult to move up
Great place to work and advance
Customer Service technician (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 22, 2018
I have been with this company for over 25 years. Pay was excellent and room for overtime was consistent. I received numerous awards for my safety as a driver as well as time spent with the company.
great company
Business Lead - Process Simplification (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 12, 2018
I do not feel comfortable adding a review, I wish this was not mandatory by indeed. it should be optional and not mandatory. I do not like being forced to do something I am uncomfortable with.
it's okay
Internal Performance - Finance Excellence (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 10, 2018
Work life balance exists - but not in all areas so morale is not consistent. It exists in Finance but in small buckets. In a couple of years, it'll be a great place to work because everyone that is handcuffed to their pensions will retire. they are the ones keeping national grid as slow and traditional as it is. its a shame because there are people that want to do great work and get stifled by the levels of bureaucracy that exist.
Pros
can work from home (if you have a cool manager)
Cons
traditional, old school mentality, old boys network
An interesting mixture of very good and bad
Sr. Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMay 10, 2018
I loved working for National Grid. Amazing work-life balance. Our team was great. Every one was nice and cooperative. Very smart people are employed there.

But there was a problem the upper management constantly got reshuffled and million dollar projects would go to waste because it was the vision of a manager who had now left the company.
Although National Grid is full of very competent employees the company keeps on hiring expensive outside consultants. And their projects are often not even implemented. The other problem is that those expensive consulting companies don't pass the knowledge before they leave making the company always dependent on rehiring them!
Dynamic enviroment
Business Management System (BMS) Analyst (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAMay 8, 2018
NG is a dynamic company with lots of departments and opportunities to learn and advance your set of skills. some departments are more advanced then other. Depends on what you looking for.
not a employee friendly company
Manager, Gas Operations Controls (Current Employee) –  Garden City, NYMay 5, 2018
revolving door
often changing upper management so no leadership
no sustainability
need to be connected to someone to grow
company hires and fires at will, so one day you are a king/queen and one day your are on street as a beggar
Pros
hardly any to mention
Cons
a lot to mention
The Company is nice...
Customer Service Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 1, 2018
You come to work on time and inform the management that you are present and ready to work.
You then receive a work sheet & sign on to dispatching.
Once signed on then head to the job on your route sheet or a job the dispatch want you to head to.
Depending on the job once on location you should access the situation and proceed with safety in mind.
Pros
Work after 4pm they pay for lunch
Cons
Management needs improvement
A great paying company.
Traveling Operator (Current Employee) –  Potsdam, NYApril 30, 2018
All about keeping the power on with Zero work injuries. As a field worker I feel as of late they punish to harsh & rarely acknowledge your 18 hrs many days in a row you may work to repair damage to their grid. as a matter of fact the only way they would know you were there is if you got hurt or had a mva or some other unfortunate mishap...or maybe if you did not take your call. The pay is great & my co-workers and first line supervisors are a pleasure to work with. the pressure comes from across the pond.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Grid. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight