National Grid Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Moving through an org design currently that requires patience
Growth PMO Principal (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 15, 2018
Current reorg is leaving a lot up in the air. Roles and responsibilities have been assigned, but new work streaks are moving at different paces, leading to friction.
Good to work for hard to beleave in .....Most times
Backhoe Operator/B Technician (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 9, 2018
High paced.....Welled trained hoisting operator/ laborer. You learn how to work well as a crew. You mastre the art of decision making ...Under pressure. And the team work was the ultimate plus. We had each others back
Pros
The team work atmosjpher
Cons
Not knowing what could be next for me
Opportunity
Established Service Rep II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 9, 2018
Great people at all levels of the company - joining Ngrid is like joining a family and everyone is supportive of each other and has a great time together
Interesting projects - I have worked at Ngrid for 2 years and no 2 projects are alike
A great culture -
high paced volume
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MAAugust 8, 2018
While working for National Grid you need to be able to talk to customers, solve their problems and type on the computer correctly all at the same time.
Pros
computer skills
Cons
short breaks
Locked out
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MAAugust 8, 2018
I have been locked out since June25 I plan on returning when the labor dispute is over.It is currently a very difficult place to work ,very tense atmosphere.
overall positive prior to lock out
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MAAugust 6, 2018
Company locked out union workers, trying to reduce benefits. Overall positive enviornment at present time hopefuly will not change due to lock out. Very structured enviornment.
Pros
busy
Cons
very structured
Principal Engineer (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 2, 2018
Management has limited insight regarding codes and standards that exist outside of its corporate structure. Gossiping is pervasive in the ranks both in operations and in management.
Productive but lack of management
Backup server data & migrate to new Win7 host (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYAugust 1, 2018
Dealing with managers out of the country. How do not understand point a to point b. Also language barriers. Devices being shipped to the wrong locations.
great job turned to good job
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MAAugust 1, 2018
when I first started working here it was my dream job, it has turned into just a job, the pay is great, the benefits are good but the retirement is terrible, unless you work here for 40+ years the pension is the worst in the industry.
Pros
hourly pay, overtime
Cons
pension, future health care
Used to be a nice place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 30, 2018
Cut backs have been way too drastic with labor. Now every day is stressful with goals that are not obtainable.

With the stress, team work is minimal, no time, need to work on own work. Atmosphere is snappy, tense, and quality is sacrificed for quick quantitative responses.

The 'transparent' management is anything BUT transparent.

Upper management is making uneducated elimination of positions.
Decisions appear to be more made on a popularity contest or family ties instead of competencies.
Cons
pushing high deductible health care
Great Company to work for.
LEAD SUPERVISOR- Gas Customer Fulfillment (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 30, 2018
Learnt a lot through career. Worked for the company for 20 years. I developed a professional relationship with numerous people across the company. Would recommend this company to others
Terrible culture
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 26, 2018
The workplace culture is terrible. You never feel secure or supported by the company, regardless of whether your team is ok. The company puts the bottom line above EVERYTHING, including time with family, weekends off, holidays, etc.
It is a highly regulated Utility company
Sr. Financial Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 24, 2018
Very stressful work environment, learned SAP system very well and Hyperion. The commute was the hardest oart of the job, 128 traffic was terrible, it wiil take more than the time anticipated.
productive fun work place
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 24, 2018
fast paced high call volume great benefits and opportunity for growth. a typical day at work is phone calls, customer complaints, and time managing skills. work place culture is customer satisfaction with a one-call resolution to build a strong rapport with our customers to "get the job done" the hardest part of the job is dealing with an irate customer and the most enjoyable part is when I leave I know I gave 101% to assure customer satisfaction
Pros
appreciation points to show their appreciation for all of my hard & dedication
Cons
would like an hour lunch
Supervisor - Emergency Gas Leak Department (Current Employee) –  Northborough, MAJuly 24, 2018
I've got a good job. Resources are being redistributed to better meet the requirements and changes of our customer base. I may not fit into this future restructuring.
Pros
It is all good
Cons
Long drive
Gained quite lot of exposure during my Internship
Analytics Intern (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 24, 2018
My stint at National Grid as an intern made my summer worthwhile.
I got hands on new technologies that definitely give my resume an edge over others.
Working with the leadership was a great experience. Came across really great directors and managers who constantly kept me motivated.
Given a chance would definitely work as a full- time employee.
Wouldn’t work here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 24, 2018
One hand doesn’t know what the other is doing. Worked in the call center in Syracuse, NY. Supervisors do not have your back when you need them to with customers. You are allowed 15 minutes of personal time for a 8 hour shift to go to the bathroom through out the day, you have to clock in and out for it, if you go over that 15 minutes even by one second you get in trouble. If you are scheduled OT that personal time only goes up by a minute or two if that. You are told to handle a call one way by one person and then a different way by another person, if it’s not done correctly you get marked off for it. The union never gets back to you when you have a question.
Pros
They provide lunches, free coats, party in the parking lot ( you don’t get to enjoy it though, they barely give you enough time to get food )
Cons
Everything .
Good Company
Principal Process Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 24, 2018
Good company and friendly people. I enjoy working with the people and groups. Great opportunities for development. They have a very strong safety culture.
Great Company
Litigation Counsel (One-Year Contract) (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYJuly 23, 2018
National Grid cares about its employees and is a wonderful place to work. However as a public utility there are always budgetary constraints at play, which can make things difficult. There is not a lot of turnover because people want to stay there through retirement - layoffs unfortunately follow.
Diverse departments
Distribution Planning & Asset Management Engr (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJuly 22, 2018
It's a great place to work because you can always change departments to learn different aspects of the business. A lot of intelligent people to work with.
There is a decent work life balance culture. You can work from home one day a week or even get to work 4 days a week, 10 hours each if you get HR to approve it. This all depends on your manager and the type of work you do.
Pros
Great work life balance. You can get to work from home if you manager approves it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Grid. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight