National HealthCare Corporation Employee Reviews

Discouraging. Spirit killing
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMay 24, 2019
Whether you pick up extra shifts when they ask or pick up other employees slack, management will turn on you if they have no one else to blame. If they like you you can get away with anything( showing up for every shift at least half an hour late) if you aren't one of their picks the smallest infraction will get you terminated. Some of the supervisors are really terrible. Speak to the employees like dogs. Its accepted. The best employees who work the hardest get treated the worst by administration. God forbid you get sick. If you cant come to work, you are frowned upon. No matter how serious the illness. I was I'll once with a stomach virus. It was highly contagious. Shutting down all the local schools. My Boss told me to come to work anyway. Didnt care one bit about the elderly residents catching something. I wouldn't reccomend working here if you are an above average employee who does exactly as is expected of you. You wont be appreciated at all
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Losing your will to live!
It’s rather pitiful and pathetic
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 22, 2019
Management bullies employees and plays favorites. There is an obvious difference in the way certain employees are treated compared to others. Employees that try to do their best are told it’s not good enough and employees that could care less get patted on the back. Constantly short staffed, very poor communication. It seems to continue to get worse the longer you stay.
Pros
None at this time
Cons
No holiday pay
Great place to work if you plan to work in upper management
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  TNMay 17, 2019
Let me begin by saying that I find that my job to be incredibly interesting. I love my patients and what I am able to do for them as a dietary/FNS aide. So as far as pros are concerned, the job is interesting and there is an opportunity for an abundance of patient-clinician interaction. Also, as I am currently working on my Master's degree, my direct supervisor has been fantastic in working with my difficult schedule.

Now, as the bulk of my review would be negative I will keep things simple.

- Upper-management prefers to remain detached from day-to-day activities, and rarely intervenes when requested
- The majority of employed nurses refuse to assist CNA's in their duties
- Pay for Dietary aides is poor, especially given the required responsibilities.

I would not recommend any work here under the dietary specialty.
Pros
Job duties are interesting, great patient-clinician interaction, flexible scheduling
Cons
Poor pay versus amount of responsibility, upper management is completely detached from day to day activities
Fun workplace
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, TNMay 17, 2019
Was amazing place to work! I had so much fun caring for the patients and meeting new people. All the patients really enjoyed having me care for them and it made me happy to know that.
Great place to work, supportive management.
CNA Instructor (Current Employee) –  Athens, TNMay 16, 2019
NHC as an organization, exemplifies it's mission statement. The management team at my facility works well with floor staff (truly). That in and of itself says a lot about the company's values.
Not worth it
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNApril 29, 2019
I worked here for sometime. I did not receive the pay I was told I would get during my interview. Some of the CNAs and Nurses offer no assistance. It gets very stressful, which is made worse by improper help. I feel bad for the residents as some of the workers seem to not really care for them. Overall was not good to work for. Constant change in staff and people not showing up for work. There are better places that will pay more and treat you better.
Pros
Easy hire
Cons
Stressful, lack of help, some lazy staff, etc.
Patient care and safety is most important to patients and family
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anderson, SCApril 26, 2019
I had the pleasure of working at National HealthCare for a year. They are extremely caring for each patient. The safety training isn't just important for the patient but the employee as well. The bonuses are a plus as well as employee appreciation. The training is beneficial because they require that Nursing Assistance be certified which is a plus.
Pros
Nursing Assistant Certification
Cons
Cleaning up after other shifts especially if you are working third
Loved the people worked with for the most part
LPN Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCApril 25, 2019
Management lies through their teeth to save their teeth. False documentation to get better ratings. I have seen it myself and have been told what to say.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Don, Adon, Administrator
Opportunity to grow
Floor Tech/Housekeeping, and dietary aide (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 24, 2019
Friendly environment. Has it’s ups and downs but overall i like my job. Great benefits like 401k and stock they offer you. I have awesome bosses and supervisors. Never had a complaint.
Pros
Partner lunch. Eto days off
Cons
Work holidays
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Laurens, SCApril 24, 2019
NHC has a work family environment. Management is awesome. I been with this company for 11 years. The only reason I would ever leave is if I need a career advancement that wasn’t available. The higher positions are hard to come by because management are mostly individuals that has been employed with them for years.
Pros
Employers are like family
Cons
Pay
Karen Carr
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Murrells Inlet, SCApril 23, 2019
I love working at NHC. The residents look forward to seeing my smiling face. I go to each resident room with a positive attitude each day. I shower them as scheduled or if I feel they need to have it done.
Pros
I love my residents along with my co-workers
Cons
I dislike teamwork
Not the best company to work for
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAApril 23, 2019
This company does not pay well at all and always works the staff extremely short.
If you get hurt while at work, they make your recovery difficult. You may end up spending a lot of money out of pocket.
Wouldn't Recommend Working Here
LPN (Current Employee) –  Franklin, TNApril 15, 2019
Don't apply to work here unless you like to be involved with gossip and drama. This location of the company is the one where employees are not valued. No incentive for overtime or working extra shifts. The DON and Administrator of this building watch each other's backs and what is best for them, not the patients, employees, nor families.
pay isnt very good
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kennett, MOApril 9, 2019
the pay is not based on your years of experience. overall its a very nice and clean nursing home. they are short handed a lot so they ask you to fill in hours
Nhc
LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (LPN) (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNApril 4, 2019
You will always get off on time, hardly any call ins, organized, strict work enviroment. A 5 star facility, good experience can be learned there. High stress job.
Pros
Incentives to work harder
Cons
Stressful at times.
Excellent one week experience
Level 1 Student (Former Employee) –  Rossville, GAMarch 28, 2019
This was an excellent level 1 experience. In just one week, I was exposed to a multitude of patients with a variety of diagnoses and levels of function.
Nursing
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 28, 2019
Perform physical exams and health histories before making critical decisions, provide health promotion, counseling and education, administer medications and other personalized interventions coordinate care, in collaboration with a wide array of health care professionals
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNMarch 26, 2019
NHC was a great place to work. We cared for the elderly in the nursing home facilities. The entire staff was very knowledgeable and had the patients interest first.
Pros
Hours worked, and 1 hour lunch breaks
Cons
Had to work late several times during the week.
Great Place
CNA (Former Employee) –  Athens, TNMarch 25, 2019
I loved the classes and great teacher. I enjoyed my patients and getting to know different families. I enjoyed being about to help people out as much as I could.
Laid back and great employees
Business Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Oak Ridge, TNMarch 17, 2019
You come in and start doing your job without being micromanaged. Great management and workplace culture. It was fast paced and would get stressful at the busiest times. I most enjoyed working with the people. It is laid back but everyone knows their responsibilities and does them without having to be told.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Health Insurance