National Instruments Employee Reviews

High energy and fun workplace with boring work
Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 10, 2018
Overall, the Applications Engineering department is a good first job for EE's and MechE's out of college due to the training opportunities available and the leadership training received. However, technical growth quickly stagnates as your day-to-day consists of 6/7 hours of troubleshooting customer issues on the phone. You will not become better at programming in this role, but can lead to more exciting roles in the company.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Work is not challenging, glorified call center
Good Work Life Balance but very poor compensation
eCommerce Product Marketing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2018
National Instruments was once a great compnay to work for but as the years went on the company culture changed. In most departments Work Life Balance is pretty good but no one except for executives are compensated well for the work they do.
Pros
Good Work Life Balance
Cons
Poor Compensation, Poor Management
Company more interested in bottom line than its people
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 21, 2018
While National Instruments may be a good starter job (they are always hiring talented engineering graduates), profitability and the bottom line have become most important. Job security for senior staff is tenuous at best. There have been a number of recent layoffs in the past few years, focusing on more senior employees. Pay is below norm for most positions.
good culture, good people
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 15, 2018
Great place to work, good culture, people are really nice. Good work life balance. Open, transparent communications from Leadership. Truly a great place to work.
Great people, strong culture, laid back
SR. Machine Operator/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 12, 2018
There always work at the work place and have fun.
I learned a lot from team member of my organization.
The management is good and fair.
Workplace is excellent and laid back at times.
The hardest part of the job is to meet deadline of project, product, stressful, and balancing life.
The most enjoyable part of the job have employee appreciation week. There is food and drink.
Pros
Great benefits, solid co-workers. Great place to work for.
Cons
Job will stagnate. Slow in advancement and will have to work multitasks if person left the company.
Industrial Trainee
Industrial Trainee (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 31, 2018
It is a great company. I have been taught about various testers in the company and been trained for 36 hours long on the NI STS T-bench and tested ADC parametric and functional tests.
Great place to work for professional engineers.
SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISSTANT (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 29, 2018
NI is a great place to work for engineers. There is plenty of opportunity for advancement for engineers. Support staff have less opportunity to advance at NI.
Pros
Engineering
Cons
Lack of advancement for administrative assistant staff.
Challenging Environment
Cost Accountant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 21, 2018
The coming was growing and the machinery was being design on the shop floor. We were using the state of the art technology with an engineering and design department that learning on the fly. It made job of the cost accounting difficult because parts were often order and never made to accounting system.
Unlimited Possibilities
HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 17, 2018
National Instruments provides its employees opportunities for career growth and advancement. I also was able to work with smart and insightful fellow employees. .
Pros
Career Growth and Advancement
Cons
Little to No Work/Life Balance when Critical Projects are Due
Innovative, fast-pace, empowering place to work
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 13, 2018
Pushes the limits and expects high-quality work.NI is built with diverse, smart, trustworthy people. Helps customers build and test amazing products that has a positive effect on us.
Pros
Collaborative
Cons
Political
Software engineers are underpaid.
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 9, 2018
Software engineers are significantly underpaid.
They hired an outside consultant to confirm that yes, software engineers are underpaid.
They have explicitly stated that they intentionally underpay, but make up for it with work-life balance. When the consultants came back, they admitted "well, we didn't realize we were THAT far under market! we'll split the difference." But they haven't.

New CEO is a godsend, but salary has not improved at all.
Pros
Work-life balance is phenomenal
Cons
Poor career advancement and abysmal compensation.
Awesome people, some big-company bureaucracy
Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 26, 2018
Always loved my coworkers, they hire people who really create a fun work environment. You feel cared about and rather than being competitive, everyone is more than willing to help each other out and grow. Most of the managers there that I knew are awesome though a few can be frustrating. There is some frustration that comes with working with a big company, but I think it falls in line with the same frustrations of any other big company. Benefits were pretty good. National Instruments brags about their work-life balance, but how easy that is to achieve really depends on your department and you have to work hard to achieve it.
Pros
benefits, culture
Great for a rookie engineer
Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 18, 2018
If your willing to work for cheap and are fresh out of school NI is a good starting place. Work life balance is good and they feel that a beer party once in a while makes up for a light paycheck
Great work environment, draconian pay policies
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 16, 2018
National Instruments hired me in one role, and when my managers learned I had web programming skills, they changed my position to accommodate those skills. They did not, however, raise my pay to match the salary I earned at my previous job for the same amount of work.

They have policies which prevented my manager from matching that salary for the entire duration of my employment. I stayed with National Instruments during the 2008 financial crisis, having already lived through the 2001 down turn.

As much as I enjoyed my coworkers and the work environment, the pay left me in years of debt. It was the worst financial decision I made.
Great People and Products
Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 5, 2018
I think NI has a great culture, although there have been some growing pains as they become a bigger company. I think the next 5 years will be very interesting. The best part of working there is the people. The working environment is collaborative and respectful. My experiences with managers were mostly very positive
Great spot for temporary employment; expect low wages
Direct Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 26, 2018
Worked here as an intern in college. Team and culture was fairly lively, but the work was not very challenging and the pay reflected that. The internship program was also not arranged in a way to get exposure to lots of different fields - could have been run better
Good workplace with amazing people
Americas Operations Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 26, 2018
Great culture and people. Great work life balance. Lots of exciting new changes. They are working hard to stay competitive and reward employees (room for growth)
Pros
work life balance
Cons
pay
Very work life balanced
Senior Regulatory Compliance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 26, 2018
It is a very good environment to work. Great managers and slow paced place. Location is great, by the highway and in a park. You would love to work there.
Great Place to work, People friendly
Electronic Engineer Tech. Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasFebruary 21, 2018
Employment with a great atmosphere, great personalities. Verity f cultures and oppontunties to travel and meet even more great people to work with. Great place to grow and learn.
so many talented people
Applications Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 17, 2018
great people around and so smart. very innovative products. compensation a bit lower than average, not sure how they retained so many talented people. some favoritism. need to quickly adapt and get with good mentor.