National Instruments Employee Reviews

Excellent place to start a career
Inside Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 23, 2018
Pros:
- Significant training provided and environment to learn/grow
- Potential to wear many hats and move around the company
- Open door policy, easy to get/provide feedback
- Casual dress code, somewhat relaxed environment/managers
- Excellent people to work with
- Job security

Cons:
- Managers definitely have favoritism. Some are excellent managers (Sales), others are awful (AE) and only got the job due to favoritism
- No work from home policy. Unfortunate when some positions can be entirely done from a laptop
- Low compensation compared to similar companies
- Stingy with raises. They are barely higher than the necessary cost of living increases necessary for Austin's growth. Now common for new hires to make the same if not more then employees who have been there for 2-5+ years
Okay as a new grad, but be prepared to move on
Digital Hardware Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 10, 2018
National Instruments is a reasonably good choice for a career start as a new graduate, but you will soon find that compensation is far from competitive and that growth opportunities are lmited.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, little room for growth, unstructured support and mentorship system
Great people, strong culture, laid back
SR. Machine Operator/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 12, 2018
There always work at the work place and have fun.
I learned a lot from team member of my organization.
The management is good and fair.
Workplace is excellent and laid back at times.
The hardest part of the job is to meet deadline of project, product, stressful, and balancing life.
The most enjoyable part of the job have employee appreciation week. There is food and drink.
Pros
Great benefits, solid co-workers. Great place to work for.
Cons
Job will stagnate. Slow in advancement and will have to work multitasks if person left the company.
Been there a long time but its time to move on.
NA (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 17, 2018
I've worked for NI over 15 years in engineering and average less than 2K/year in raises. New grads make 15k less than me which doesn't seem right.. I have no stock options, or RSU's, they ignore their loyal employees. Good place to be comfortable and raise a family.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
don't count on raises keeping up with industry or inflation
Salary is low - No carrer growth.
Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 19, 2018
The company is not growing as it used, little or no career growth.

Salary is bad and they have been saying it will be fixed for 3 years now but no change. I like the company work life balance but is not enough. Already looking to move.
Cons
Salary
Good Work Life Balance but very poor compensation
eCommerce Product Marketing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 27, 2018
National Instruments was once a great compnay to work for but as the years went on the company culture changed. In most departments Work Life Balance is pretty good but no one except for executives are compensated well for the work they do.
Pros
Good Work Life Balance
Cons
Poor Compensation, Poor Management
Software engineers are underpaid.
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 9, 2018
Software engineers are significantly underpaid.
They hired an outside consultant to confirm that yes, software engineers are underpaid.
They have explicitly stated that they intentionally underpay, but make up for it with work-life balance. When the consultants came back, they admitted "well, we didn't realize we were THAT far under market! we'll split the difference." But they haven't.

New CEO is a godsend, but salary has not improved at all.
Pros
Work-life balance is phenomenal
Cons
Poor career advancement and abysmal compensation.
Awesome people, some big-company bureaucracy
Applications Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 26, 2018
Always loved my coworkers, they hire people who really create a fun work environment. You feel cared about and rather than being competitive, everyone is more than willing to help each other out and grow. Most of the managers there that I knew are awesome though a few can be frustrating. There is some frustration that comes with working with a big company, but I think it falls in line with the same frustrations of any other big company. Benefits were pretty good. National Instruments brags about their work-life balance, but how easy that is to achieve really depends on your department and you have to work hard to achieve it.
Pros
benefits, culture
Overall a pretty good place to work
Staff Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 24, 2018
Don't go into this company thinking you are going to make a difference. With a company this big you have to be able to communicate impact in order for approval. However, that being said, NI works like tiny companies within a big one, so you do receive autonomy when you are given the nod. Great place for a starting career but wouldn't recommend for a place for great advancement.
Pros
Relax culture and great work life balance
Cons
Not that competitive on pay and restructures once a year.
Poor Management
Technician III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 25, 2018
The pay was never competitive and the management is basically engineers without management experience. Nepotism and Narcissism run amok throughout the company. They focus on surveys and meetings to understand why they fell off the fortune 100 best places to work. They eventually found a way to isolate individuals that gave them bad reviews and basically replaced them with new young hires that drink the cool-aid. They will promote people they know that will seek and destroy anyone that speaks out or disagrees with management. The CEO is trimming it down to eventually move RnD to another country. I am glad I got out of this train-wreck. There are still some good people that work there waiting for their turn to fall victim from poor management.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Management, Poor Developers, Nepotism, non-competitive salaries
Great work environment, draconian pay policies
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 16, 2018
National Instruments hired me in one role, and when my managers learned I had web programming skills, they changed my position to accommodate those skills. They did not, however, raise my pay to match the salary I earned at my previous job for the same amount of work.

They have policies which prevented my manager from matching that salary for the entire duration of my employment. I stayed with National Instruments during the 2008 financial crisis, having already lived through the 2001 down turn.

As much as I enjoyed my coworkers and the work environment, the pay left me in years of debt. It was the worst financial decision I made.
A once great company to work for that is now toxic
Senior Software Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 6, 2018
National Instruments was a great company to work for. As a leaping off point in your career it's a good place to start. As time has gone on the work culture has turned toxic with people treating one another in unprofessional ways.

Management has its hands tied for the most part and the system they have in place for career advancement takes advantage of the employee.

They hire people for one roll then have them perform another, typically with no increase in pay for the work they are being expected to perform. Software technicians constantly find themselves doing the work of an engineer with any additional compensation.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Under paying, Toxic Culture
Fun place
Manager, Business Process Solutions, R&D (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 2, 2018
Was fun but management is very egoistic and does not let you grow. Money advancement was very less. Work life balance was good but growth was poor - management was very rigid and does not like you getting opportunities even within the company.
Great company culture and people but terrible pay
Staff Business Systems Analyst / BI Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 17, 2018
NI has a great company culture and is great if you're entering the workforce out of college, but well known for underpaying its employees. Work life balance also really depends on the team / manager you have.
Great place to work when starting your career, awful place to stay.
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 7, 2017
National Instruments has great benefits with extremely low pay and uses their benefits to justify the lower pay. Many other companies have the same benefits with great pay. You will learn a lot in whatever role you start in, but getting a promotion is practically impossible and managers will find every excuse to keep you where you are at for the sake of budget.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Poor Upward mobility, favoritism, competitiveness, no collaboration
Run away
Senior Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 30, 2018
NI is slowly moving jobs overseas, don't walk, run! Management is cryptic and will string you along. Good entry level experience for finding the next job.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Low pay
Good work life balance but no career advancement
Programmer Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 11, 2017
The best thing about NI is its people. They are Collaborative, Hardworking and Fun! Work life balance is pretty great. However, the compensation is far less when compared to its competitors. And the management needs to step it up in terms of recruiting, retention and actually identifying employee needs.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
Low chances for career advancement
Extremely smart coworkers, fun place to work, low salary, and poor management
Staff Hardware Engineer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 21, 2017
Extremely smart coworkers - By far the best part of working at NI
Low salary - Management claims it's a fair salary based on good culture.
Management - Typically selected from within based on popularity but ignores talent.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
low salary
Used to be a great place to work, then everything changed
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 19, 2017
The culture at NI changed drastically, and my new management team did not recognize my value. I was laid off.

The previous 17 years were great, excellent corporate culture, lots of wonderful employees, but then all the senior management and executives started retiring, bringing in Millenials to take their place. Everything changed. The culture was lost. Many MANY people left and/or were laid off in just a two year period. Sad.
Pros
Great benefits, the employees were great to work with
Cons
New management sucked
Nice parking
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 31, 2018
Lots of bicyclists and electric car charging stations. Bus stops close. Apartments and homes in the neighborhood. North end of town. Near everything and The Domain. Nice parking. Access to MOPAC and toll roads. Gym. Fitness trails. Cafeteria.
Cons
Crisis in talent management, changing consultants