National Interstate Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Invest in their employees
ACCOUNTING INTERN (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHJune 12, 2018
Management cares about their employees and the company invests in their greatest asset, their employees. Parking is never a problem and pay is reasonable.
Company is kicking and screaming forced into the 21st century
Manager (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHFebruary 4, 2018
There is a lack of vision - the goal of the company is to be the best insurance company in the united states, but there are no KPIs in place to measure. Management can't can't relinquish control to automated processes and technological efficiencies.
Pros
free parking
Cons
no vision
Nicc
Commercial Lines Support (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHJanuary 17, 2018
Over all a good company, paid a lower salary. Manager at the time was very green and did not know how to run a department, more interested in being social.
Cons
At month end long hours due to poor planning.
Good Company
Commercial Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHDecember 28, 2017
Good Company. Nice play to begin a claims career. National Interstate provided me with a lot of tools to be a successful adjuster. I enjoyed my time at the company.
National Interstate Insurance
Sales (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHAugust 12, 2017
National Instate is a company that has focused its time and money on developing a product that far exceeds any other in the commercial auto marketplace. The lack of time and money invested in developing systems and procedures has left the company behind the times and out of touch with the wants and desires of their employees. They rely on recruiting staff directly from colleges and universities that have no experience in the field or in the work force. Many of the supervisors and managers have been with the company from the time they finish school and therefor bring no new ideas or change to the table. They have a lack of vision and have created an isolationist culture in the market that is stagnate. With the recent acquisition by Great American, many of these individuals are finally getting a first hand look at what lies outside the of the Richfield, OH area.
Pros
Pay, Flexibility, Hours of Operation
Cons
Management, IT Systems, Culture, Benefits, Diversity
Consistent
Captive Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHAugust 9, 2017
Transparent, growth oriented company. At times did not staff appropriately, but have seemed to correct said issue. Monthly meetings offer a clear insight into the company.
Started as Great then became dissapointed
Contact Center Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHMay 2, 2017
The atmosphere at NATL when I started was that they really cared about the employees and making it a great place to work. Then we got a new CEO, and also the remaining stock was purchased by Great American and that is when things began to change. No one was happy anymore, there was no more feeling that you weren't just employee #....
Transitioning company
Contact Center Representative II (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHMay 1, 2017
Great place to work, great people, great benefits.
Out with the old, in with the new. Go with the flow and embrace the changes and all will flow into place.
Pros
Great Healthcare
Cons
Looking forward to continued growth
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHApril 20, 2017
Great people to work with. Senior management is down to earth. Company has made a lot of changes to become an Employer of Choice and has been named a NorthCoast 99 winner and made the Top Workplace and Smart Culture lists. Expecting a lot of growth and is building a great new headquarters to go with the two existing buildings.
Pros
Lots of opportunity for career advancement, Great low-cost lunch program. Recent improvements in workplace flexibility communicated by CEO.
Cons
Can't think of any now.
Great People, Great Company
Employee (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHApril 7, 2017
The people at National Interstate are great. It's easy to get up and come to work when you enjoy the people you work with. The company has taken some big steps to create an environment where people are connected and inspired. We are constructing a new building and doing some awesome things in the community.
Pros
People, Opportunity, Visibility, Impact
Cons
Collaboration can become overly-bureaucratic and slow at times
Great place to acquire knowledge of the industry and positive environment
A happy employee! (Current Employee) –  Kapolei, HIFebruary 3, 2017
Each day is started with 'Good Morning' greetings throughout the office. This company provides many morale boosting activities and weighs heavy importance on keeping its employees happy throughout the daily work routines. Since starting here I have gained a better understanding of the insurance industry and continue to learn from the management and the underwriting team here. Most of the managers here have an open door for questions and do their best to explain in depth to provide a better understanding of policy or procedure. All the departments communicate well and work together. Benefits and wages are above fair but will depend on where you see yourself going with the company and how you communicate your goals with the management. Definitely not a place for the weary or the unmotivated.
Pros
Location, Compensation, Morale
Cons
Some outdated programming/software
Good Company
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHFebruary 1, 2017
Good company that's focused on getting up to speed with the rest of the industry. They are investing in their people. There is a positive outlook.
Primarily use negative reinforcement. Clients are always happy with wervices you provide but mangement at NAtl no
Senior Risk Manager Associate (Former Employee) –  richfield OhioJanuary 14, 2017
Primarily use negative reinforcement. I entered a confident OSHA trainer and customer service pro and left feeling inconfident due to continuous negative reinforcement even though the clients were very satisfied with assistance I gave them. I worked 80-90 hours a week and they wanted more from me; managers are mostly interested in pleasing president etc instead of treating employees decent and with respect. Oh yes then you have to use your own credit card for travel which the fees add up when at one point I was owed 14000 dollars of travel expense; the person processing travel expenses decided he was too busy! Management did not care of financial burden it caused, still paying debt, big mistake going to work here!!!!!!!!!
Pros
pay
Cons
expectations, negativity
An ok place to work
Underwriting Manager (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHDecember 28, 2016
National Interstate is a difficult place to work if you are a minority and don't align yourself with their culture and perspective. They have their own way of thinking that is quite different from the rest of the insurance industry.
Able to learn many skills
Claims Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHJuly 20, 2016
The company is fast paced, and allows for always learning new aspects of the business. The offer many classes on the social skills of dealing with customers and colleagues.
Good company
Senior Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  nationwideJuly 11, 2016
Good work environment but each department is different; some departments will put family a very distant second to work
Great People
Accounting Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHJune 2, 2016
The job can be taxing at times and gets rather repetitive really quick. I think the best part about the workplace are the people you get to work with.
Ok
Senior SEC & Investment Accountant (Current Employee) –  Richfield, OHMarch 16, 2016
Job culture is rough. Play favorites. Long hours, good pay. If you work hard you will get noticed, but the finance field gets beat up on.
Overall good experience with company
Public Transportation Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHFebruary 25, 2016
Throughout my limited time as a summer intern I learned a lot about the insurance business. I got very good training and met many connections.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
location
Terrible management, terrible technology, terrible work/life balance
Captive Property Damage Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Richfield, OHSeptember 5, 2015
I was a claims adjuster in the captive property damage claims department. Everything was good for about the first eight months until other adjusters started leaving my team for other positions or whatever. Upper management failed to fill these positions and basically gave me all of their claims, plus I was getting a lot more because we were short staffed. Was I appreciated for my efforts? NO! There were days I would go in at 4 o'clock in the morning and not even leave until 9 o'clock at night. The claims load was unbearable. I had about 400 claimants at one time and obviously they were angry because their claims were not being handled fast enough. I skipped lunches, worked overtime for free, and couldn't even go to the bathroom because I was so busy. I know other claims adjusters that would come in on their days off just to stay afloat. The technology is from the 1980's and their processes and systems are completely inefficient. Upper management is completely out of touch with their claims adjusters and couldn't care less about us. There is an environment of fear that you will be fired if you cannot keep up. In fact, the longest conversation I had with someone in upper management was when he fired me and would not even give me a reason why. Then when I filed for unemployment, I found out that they lied and slandered me. Suffice to say I won my unemployment claim. And this is the appreciation I got for never taking a vacation, taking over other people's claims, and taking on more work because upper management would not properly staff the department. I would urge  more... anybody to stay far far away from this terrible company!  less
Pros
I can't think of any
Cons
Just about everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Interstate Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight