National Jewish Health Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Awesome culture
LEAD CT TECH (Current Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 22, 2018
This is the best ran hospital. It has a very interesting history. Everyone here really cares about each other and every patient. It's beautiful inside.
Going Down
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 27, 2018
National Jewish needs to rebalance their philosophy. Science was the heart in National Jewish, but now clinical is weighing more than science. Partially because of shortage of government funding. That is a big environment in US, in science. But in local small environment, CEO dislikes science. Science costs too much and science cannot generate revenue. But in long run, without support from science, National Jewish will become a normal hospital.
Unanimous term used “toxic”
Laboratory Research (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 20, 2018
The ADx laboratories are overall a negative work environment. Easily more than half of the employees are unhappy. It is a shame since this is the “leading respiratory hospital” in the US but at the rate it is going, at least with the laboratories, I can’t see how they will manage to stay afloat.
Pros
Benefits are good, passionate researchers, flexible work hours for the most part, resume boost
Cons
Negative work environment, favoritism, poor poor management, under staffing, pay is 80% of average, zero staff appreciation, positions continuously are dissolved, work load expectations are left at the same level for the few that haven’t quit yet
horrible HR
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 16, 2018
Not a good place to work; find another job elsewhere -- the organization has a toxic culture. HR plays favorites and does not apply policies to their own cult!
August 17, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience and want to do everything we can to address it. We encourage you to share your contact information on our secure form at the following link and a member of Human Resources team will be in touch to address your concerns: http://njhealth.org/contacthr

Good workplace for work.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 2, 2018
Well, when the census in the hospitals is high, there are more work.
I like that, why, because the time is gone fast. To pick up trash, clean doctors offices, bathrooms, clean waiting areas, front desk, give high dusting, mopping and dusting is exciting for me.
August 17, 2018

Thank you for your service to the institution and for the positive feedback!

good work environment
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 12, 2018
I love national Jewish. great work environment, great pay, dress code was super relaxed. benefits were amazing. stress free and they provided lunches periodically.
August 17, 2018

Thank you for your review. We are proud to be able to support work-life balance, opportunities for growth, and competitive compensation and benefits.

Great Hospital to work for.
Chemotherapy Pharmacy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 9, 2018
Great place to work. Great hours and flexible schedule.
Good benefits for 32 Hour position.Time off with no problems getting approved if you have sick time or vacation. Will work around your schedule.
August 17, 2018

Thank you for your service to the institution. National Jewish Health has a long history of being a nonprofit organization in the Denver community and we value our employees and their work-life balance.

Great Cardiac lab. Friendly and welcoming people.
Echo Technologist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 2, 2018
I just recently left National Jewish due to obtaining a position much closer to home. It was hard to leave such a great work environment. Everyone at National Jewish was supportive and welcoming. You can really tell that the employees are proud to work there. Their quality of care is outstanding. I left due to personal reasons, but I would recommend National Jewish as a great place to work to anyone.
Pros
long lunch breaks, low stress environment
Cons
location
August 17, 2018

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at National Jewish Health and appreciate your positive recommendation. Best of luck in your new position.

An amazing job for those with kind hearts
Nutritional Food Delivery Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 25, 2018
I was a Volunteer at National Jewish Health, my job was in food services. The job was to get patients orders from my manager and start making the trays. Once all the food was made and it was time to deliver the tray, I would take a cart with all those trays all around the hospital and give them to either the patient or the nurses taking care of them so they have food. The reason I did this is because unfortunately the patients I deliver to are physically unable to get the food for them selves. For a wide variety of different reason mainly because they in a room and prohibited from leaving for different reasons.
August 17, 2018

Thank you for being a volunteer at National Jewish Health. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time and appreciate the hours that you dedicated as a volunteer.

Bad Management
Laboratory Researcher III (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 3, 2018
I loved working for National Jewish except for the management. You get paid very little, but are expected to work 70-80 hour weeks, and weekends. The expectations are extremely unrealistic.
I would not recommend the scheduler position
CUSTOMER SERVICE SCHEDULER (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 30, 2018
If you like to be micro- managed and not have the opportunity to move up in the company then this is a perfect place to work. I do not recommend here.
Struggling research hospital
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 30, 2018
The team and collaborative environments were good. The hospital seems to lack in management principles (for Denver) which allow reasonable salaries and oversight of expenditures (seems to be in the red all the time).
Great place!
PBX Operator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 16, 2018
productive, and fun place to work. People are freindly and and professinal. I would recommend anyone to work here. Potential to move up, and learn new things
Pros
Love the poeple
Cons
lunches are too short
Great for beginners.
Medical Assistant ll (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 15, 2018
Pay wasn't great, but work is not too hard. Not a whole lot of room for advancement, very good place for new hires. Also great for people who need a set schedule.
Not horrible but not great
Administrative Assistant and Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 15, 2018
The doctors at National Jewish Health are hands down the best and from where I was sitting, a great place to work but their office setting was the most unorganized, non-collaborative, unfriendly, job I have ever had. Upper management doesn't care about the lower level employees and that isn't the way you create an environment that you look forward to going into every day. Quite possibly why they have such a high rate of turnover there.
Clinical Research Coordinator III (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 5, 2018
Great manager -- made me want to come to work and was very supportive. Couldn't advance my career so I decided to make a change even though the job was good.
High-level research and collaborative atmosphere.
Lab Researcher (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 14, 2018
An excellent place to work, with decent benefits. Hours and management vary with individual PIs. Some fantastic science is being done here by some of the best in world in their fields.
Productive and fun place to work
Grants Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 13, 2018
Small company, great camaraderie. Good benefits. Working for the number one respiratory hospital in the country is awe inspiring. Management is always available for discussions. Workplace culture is laid back. Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the patients, and how NJH doctors have impacted their health
Pros
Small company. Tight working community. Working for a cause.
Cons
Education reimbursement policy is limited
Non-profit environment with much autonomy
Finance (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 9, 2018
I loved working at National Jewish Health. I had tons of autonomy and they were happy to have people jump in to help in areas they were not necessarily hired for. It is an opportunity to learn and be involved in a lot of systems, teams, projects, etc. The leadership is serious and cares immensely about patients. Resources go to the researchers, as it should be. Have made recent efforts to improve staff environment.

Hardest part is slogging into work 5 days per week, even if you can easily work from home. Some leadership is rather old-fashioned this way. It gets difficult and then there's no work-life balance. As a non-profit they do not take liberties in the area of innovative HR practices, such as providing cool perks or rewards for performance.
Did not enjoy the job itself
SR. MANAGER, BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 27, 2018
I had a hard time transitioning from a traveling sales position to a 9-5 work environment. I prefer to have a sales position where I make my own hours and direction. I was also micromanaged which was difficult
Pros
I enjoyed the idea of helping others with smoking session.
Cons
Micro management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Jewish Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight