National Labor Relations Board Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Great place to get good legal training
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 10, 2018
The Board is a great place to start a legal career. However, like any government agency it has its challenges, particularly with inflexible and sometimes unreasonable supervisor. Over all its a great place to work.
Pros
Amount of responsibility - early in your career
Cons
Limited opportunities for advancement - without substantial tenure
Computer Tech/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2017
This is a great place to work. I came in as a clerk then advanced to the office computer tech. NLRB allowed me to take classes at the local college. This allowed me to excel at my job and to manage the workload.
Pros
Management would take staff out for holidays and lunches.
Great leadership in HR
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2017
Great leadership within HR division. Supervisor is very knowledgeable and commited to growth and development of her staff. great work and life balance. Benefits are great including life insurance and retirement.
Great learning environment
Student Extern (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 29, 2017
As an extern I was able to delve more into the substantive are of law I wanted to focus on, Labor law. The staff and attorneys offer great mentorship.
Camaraderie
Compliance Officer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 14, 2017
Co-workers seem to have each others back in time of need, but there is no room for advancement. The office is under-staffed and the workload is overwhelming.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
No room for job advancement
Working in a Small Office has few challenges.
Secretary to the Resident Officer, Trial Attorney (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 29, 2017
In a small office like the Tulsa Resident Office, everyone did their part, and supported each other. Teamwork was the key to successful working relationships.
good clerking experience
Legal Clerk/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 12, 2017
My experience working there so many years ago helped me with a partime job with a law firm I have now. I enjoyed being a law clerk and aiding the lawyers get ready for court.
FOH/HHS was a productive place to work.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 23, 2017
Check phone and email for emergencies, then set daily priorities. I learned how to work with a team, both Federal and Contractors. Management was receptive to training. Culture was diverse. Hardest part of job was having to leave. I enjoyed my duties, paying bills, spreadsheets, and I know Medical Terminology.
Pros
Free parking, good benefits
Great job poor management
Office Automation Clerk, GS (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 23, 2017
The job is fairly easy but the management is horrible which is why they have a huge turnover in staff, Other than that I love the job and would recommend anyone
Excellent
Secretary to the Regional Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 10, 2017
Very good office to work at that is why I was there for so many years. It is a small government agency but they do a lot of good work for the public. We tried to also do outside office activities together to keep in touch with office staff.
Pros
Regular staff meetings to air any difficulties or issues.
Cons
To many staff meetings.
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 5, 2017
This was a great environment to work in. Great location and great people. There is a very diverse culture here which attracts many people from various demographic groups.
Great work!
Field Attorney (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 27, 2016
It is incredibly meaningful work that can have a profound positive change on discriminated individuals and unions. There is a lot of work to do and the supervisors are not able to keep up with the volume. But it is worth it, for the change you can effect.
Employees/coworkers are really great and friendly, management just looks down on support staff
Office Automation Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC HeadquartersJanuary 4, 2016
The work here is pretty routine as a secretary. I come in early, check and respond to emails, answer phone calls, do any scheduling or meetings that need to be done. There's a lot of filing and organizing to do to keep the office straight. I order supplies for the staff as needed, update staff on any new announcements or office related activities. I have a quick lunch sometimes at my desk, other times out at a fast food spot, For the rest of the day I'm answering any phone calls or emails that come through, which aren't many the second half of the day. Management micromanages and hounds for immediate responses to things that are often out of staff's hands.
There is severe favoritism that hinders anyone from growing in their career.
Pros
Benefits, insurance, great pay, safe environment with security, free health fairs, clerical experience.
Cons
Managers look down on support staff, technology equipment often doesn't work, difficult to advance.
Go to another region
intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 22, 2015
Do not work at Region 5! Worst management EVER! Everything is based upon favoritism. No room for growth or bonuses! The energy in that place is HORRIBLE!!!! Its sad that you have to look else where when you could love your job but management does a poor job of making you feel like a family!
Excellent organization
FIELD EXAMINER Cooperative Assignment (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2015
I really enjoyed working at this office in Manhattan, NYC, NY. The work was interesting and varied. It was a temporary cooperative assignment but I found the work very interesting.
Good working opportunities when chance is available.
Language Assistant-Election Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 28, 2015
I had the opportunity in gaining experience working with case management system, data analysis and legal documents. Encouraging professionals atmosphere and rewarding comments after completed assignments. Your career can progress if you are in the right path.
Pros
career progress
Cons
little planning on assignments
Great work life balance
Staff Attorney (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 29, 2015
The work environment at the NLRB is very conducive to maintaining a great work/life balance. Colleagues and management are very supportive of each other.
US government agency for labor-management issues
Attorney (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2015
Excellent and conscientious attorneys addressing US labor-management issues. Served in Office of the Chairman. Served as office of highest review after regional decisions.
Nice, fun place to work and you get to help people who have experienced unfair labor practices.
Litigation Support Assistant/Group Secretary (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 6, 2015
The NLRB investigates unfair labor practices against employers and unions, we are a neutral party and get to help people everyday. Throughout the course of a day I am preparing various documents, proofing documents for administrative staff and assisting investigators and attorneys in preparation for hearings or trials. Accuracy is extremely important in our office, errors can cost someone their case and have a major impact on their lives. There are many interesting things happening and a lot of opportunities to learn here in the National Labor Relations Board. The convenient downtown location doesn't hurt either.
A law firm that's objective is to be the voice of the unheard unionized workers
Admin. Asst. to the Deputy Regional Attorney (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 27, 2014
I work for the Deputy Regional Attorney, so my typical day consists of subpoenas being made, drafts of disposition letters. And I head the FOIA department, so daily I am organizing files, cases, closing out cases, uploading documents, and keeping track of the invoices paid or not.
I've learned how to take an affidavit, what the differences in some cases are, how to set up hearings and trials for cases, and the functions of different sections of the agency.
Management is very small. There are 2 people in our management team, so things get done as needed.
I get along with all of my co-workers, even the ones that aren't so easy to get along with. I have a great working relationship withthem. There are about 60 other employees here from all backgrounds and different personalities.
My job isn't hard at all. It could be a challenge to some, but once you strategize your work plan and organize yourself, the job is very manageable.
The most enjoyable part is being in charge of my work and it being productive. I do have to report to people, however in my section of work for the agency. I am able to make my own timetable, work independently most times and can be of assistance to others as well with their work when needed. I love to be productive. That is the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Working at my own pace with and without deadlines.
Cons
Too laid back and no potential for continued growth.