National Life Group Employee Reviews

Was told the job would be one thing only to learn I was lied to. They didn't deliver on one thing
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  MidwestAugust 10, 2018
Don't work here -- it isn't worth it. These people are liars. Management -- especially the CEO are among the most egotistical people you will ever meet. They will lie to you without batting an eye.

This Company is going nowhere.
Pros
Mountains are very pretty
Cons
I don't have the space to tell you how bad this place is
Organization without focus and with long standing cultural issues
Operations Analyst/Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTJuly 12, 2018
National Life has been trying to make a shift to grow and change yet has been unsuccessful in successfully managing that change and moving toward an innovative and inclusive culture. There is a lack of gender equality in any senior management through executive level position. In the 2.5 years that I was there my role was re-organized 5 times and then eliminated. The technology is ancient with little documentation existing to understand how the systems work. Executives discuss change management and shifts to the culture constantly but there is very little action to make the change happen.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Culture, technology, gender equality, management, change management
Flexible and fun
Financial Consultant (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDJune 11, 2018
you can get to pick your hours and make your own schedule. Financial planning requires lots of time and provided you can invest the time then it will be a lucrative career.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
commission
No advancement, Pto is limited.
Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXMay 29, 2018
Management needs work and better leadership skills. You can't move internally, otherwise you are made to keep doing your old and new role. No training provided, you accrue PTO hours each pay period. And depending on how long you are there depends how much pto you accrue. So you go months without a day off just to save your pto. People are nice, but tend to talk about others. Advancement won't get you far unless you are applying to be a manager or supervisor. Pay is decent and holidays are off, but I wouldn't come back here.
Part-time
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  MarylandMay 17, 2018
Being part-time agent allow me to have a full time job. Also, they provide a lot of training tools, so I can learn more about the products that the company offers.
Pros
Flexible
A great place to work!
VP Fund Administration & Assistant Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTMay 8, 2018
National Life offers both challenging work and a workplace culture that supports the community. I worked at National Life for nearly 32 years and have great memories of both the place and the people.
Summary
Annuity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXMay 3, 2018
It has a great culture and you will be able to balance your life while working there.The managers are really nice and understandable to any situation .As for career advancements I wouldn't recommend it to any young professional.
Started out great
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTApril 13, 2018
My experience started really great. I was there for about a year before I had my daughter. I advanced quickly and really enjoyed my job. After returning from maternity leave I was treated differently. I was ignored by my manager and treated very coldly.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Great company
Financial Representative and Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYApril 12, 2018
Great company with different products that offer different solutions. They also get involved in a lot of charitable work and that is really important to me
Change is inevitable
Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXMarch 28, 2018
You must be able to change and learn on the fly. The current manager that I was under was a horrible communicator and very self-centered. She was not held accountable for her own actions and tried to put blame on others due to her own actions.
Pros
Cons
Poor mgmt and HR staff
good overall company
Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Addison, TXMarch 19, 2018
efforts to improve company culture falls silent by the push to achieve company goals. many initiatives created to improve customer experience have fallen short of expectations
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
management style, legacy systems
A wonderful place to work!
SCANNING OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTDecember 13, 2017
The culture of NLG is diverse and employees all appear to be very happy within their respective positions. Team work is very important and I felt that management was very willing and eager to support me. I would highly recommend anyone seeking a valuable and meaningful career to work at National Life.
Productive work place
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2017
I like working in this place because the people around me was friendly and they willing to help each other when you don’t understand the insurance. You are easily going to be bond with other people in your company. Overall is the friendly and awesome work place.
Very motivating place to work
CONTRACTING SPECILAIST (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTNovember 27, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working at National life and the Environment this work place created and fostered. Employees were highly respected and compensated for the work they performed and were consistently encouraged to pursue higher degrees of education, work placements, or training when applicable. Only left for a change in my career otherwise I would still be there after 3 years.
Great Place to Work
CONTRACT SPECIALIST II (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTNovember 7, 2017
National Life Group is an excellent place to work. Has great culture, offers training courses for employees who can find the time to go to them. Great benefits.
Pros
Great Culture
Cons
Management needs to work with team members to help advancement
This place is all about making money for upper management
IT Professional (Former Employee) –  Montpelier, VTOctober 16, 2017
Large portion of IT personnel was replaced by programmers from India in 2004. Remaining IT personnel had to train Indian programmers while still responsible for their own work. Indian programmers were difficult to train: lied about skills they had, wouldn't share info, extremely competitive with one another. All this caused unbelievable stress for home office personnel.

National Life was originally founded in Vermont because the work force here was/still is known for its integrity and faithfulness. This first step of replacing Vermonters with an offshore workforce was the incident that caused the downhill slide of work environment and steady increase of gap between lower and upper level incomes that continues to this day.

The 'Main Street' motto on their website makes me wonder whether to laugh or cry.
Benefits
Cons
Workers treated like dollars spent.
Coworkers were good and environment
Life Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Castle Rock, COSeptember 19, 2017
The overall environment was good. The coworkers were also helpful. Only two office days to cold call to make appointments and the rest of the week running appointments.
CEO is great, and has very strong values that he drives us to live by and NLG.
Business Development (Current Employee) –  VermontSeptember 11, 2017
Some managers need to work on their managerial skills, and learn how to properly manage a team. There are some that have gotten handed a position within management, that know so little about the processes and how some job functions actually work.
Cons
Micromanagement
Productive day
Annuity Replacements Specialist (Current Employee) –  Addison, TXAugust 20, 2017
Its a really good company to work for. They are really flexible on everything as long as you are doing your job. Its a growing company which is a good company to work for as an entry level
Pros
Good Environment
Cons
N/a
Productive and positive environment
Independent Life Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 21, 2017
I learned so much about the insurance industry. This company offers great opportunity for advancements. I had a wonderful manager who was always available for assistance when needed.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
customer charge backs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Life Group. Our community is ready to answer.