National Louis University Employee Reviews

I loved working in Higher Education
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2018
The manager I worked under was petty and competitive. Rather than be impressed or proud if staff was complimented, jealousy was the plain and obvious reaction.
Management was generous with work assignments but for stingy with compensation and raises.

Note: the "CEO" changed during my tenure at the University. The first was stellor, the second was not well suited to the organization.
Pros
The rank and file were very supportive and encouraging
Cons
Management gossiped about staffers behind their back.
The students are great to work with
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2018
Student Life Supervisor was horrible and SUPER unqualified for her position in National Louis University's PACE program. She made a lot of questionable judgments and refused to accept and feedback from her staff. She did not advocate on behalf of her staff and their needs to continue being effective and was consistently rude and unapproachable. Also, she condoned the negative behaviors of other staff members regardless of the safety concerns of staff and students.
Management made me feel low and like I was an irrelevant part of the team and for that reason, I would never encourage someone else to pursue a similar position with the PACE program at National Louis University.
Pros
Great students
Cons
Pay, Unfair hour distribution, poor culture, poor structure, management
Learning disabled college age students learning lifeskills.
Transitional Social Group Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 11, 2018
Fun to work for. Always something going on. Team meetings, a chance to collaborate. I helped students schedule their free time and interaction with others. Adequate supervision. Variety. Did a lot of different things. A great job.
Pros
Great part time job. Variey, the students were great.
Cons
No benefits, worked extra for no overtime
Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 3, 2018
Friendly and relaxed culture. Locations of colleges are nice! Lots of use of the latest and greatest technology as innovation is one of the mission pillars.
Pros
Great benefits
Productive, Interactive and engaging
Front Desk Assistant/Greeter (Former Employee) –  Lisle, ILOctober 4, 2018
A typical work day involved answering inbound calls and directing them to the requested department/personnel.
In addition, the position allowed for me to aide other departments with projects:
- copy room projects: involved binding books for college programs or meetings, packaged books for shipping, collating pages for completing pamphlets and program guides and students planners

Greeted students and educational professionals attending classes or campus events or meetings.

Worked closely with advisers enrollments specialists and prior learning team in preparing information boards, with pamphlets and available new programs, throughout the campus.
Pros
this position was part of a federal work study program
Cons
position ended when winter course term ended
Nlu
Graduate Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, ILNovember 16, 2018
A great culture for educators in the world of higher learning. Currently employed as an adjunct professor, and the atmosphere is very collaborative and professional.
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 30, 2018
I participated in a work-study program (part-time) so it's not indicative to full-time positions there. I rememeber a great culture and people, an easy-going stress-free environment.
Diversified and relaxed work environment
Graduate Assistant (Enrollment Department (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2018
A typical day at NLU is very relaxed and productive. Every day you get to learn something new from other leaders as they serve as your mentors. The management is helpful most of the time. The culture is quite diversified that welcomes students and staff from all backgrounds. The hardest part of the job would be advancing within the company in terms of position. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people.
Excellent managment
Training and Technical Assistant Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, ILDecember 2, 2018
I loved working for the McCormick Center and had a very experienced and supportive supervisor. I had the flexibility of having a home office but travelled the state facilitating an online class that I was passionate about.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
grant-related position
Great Place to work
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, ILMarch 6, 2018
National Louis University was a great place to work. They are a team building company with a great support from management.
They have a management program they will put their employees in to help build their careers.
Awesome place to work
Adjunct Instructor, Criminal Justice (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 7, 2018
This is an awesome place to work and have awesome employees and managers to help you when needed. Very clean and safe place to work and would not leave this University.
Summary Review
Instructor - Math, Bus and Entrepreneurship (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 10, 2018
A very forward thinking and collaborative environment to work in.
The institution focuses on utilizing technology to deliver curriculum and practice exercises.
Perfect part-time job
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 3, 2018
A nice work environment, however, there is not much room to grow your career. Depending on your department, work is manageable and fast pace. Communication between managers and employees could be better.
Great place, but organization is in constant state of flux
Adjunct Professor, Leadership (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2018
Loved teaching there, the programs were great. Senior leadership changed many times while I was there, and lots of financial mismanagement at the top.
Positive work environment and highly qualified student teachers
University Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Skokie, ILJune 23, 2018
NLU presented me with an outstanding opportunity to work with Student Teachers during their field placement. The students were well prepared, responsible, and highly qualified.
Pros
Excellent Candidates
Cons
Only two Student Teachers were assigned to me.
Fun place to work
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2018
I really enjoy meeting the new students and staff daily. Great workplace and everyone is warm and friendly. I miss the great wok relationships. The best part of the job is the campus events and free food.
Pros
free food
Cons
short breaks
little investment in staff in general-no investment in long-serving staff
Work Horse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 20, 2017
this space will not allow for a fully-detailed description of all that is wrong at NLU, so I will bullet-point a few of the major issues in order of importance:

Favors revenue over quality education
Clueless in terms of trends in education
Dictatorial leadership
Questionable/unethical HR Department
Lack of transparency
Poor/unskilled management staff
Noncompetitive salaries
Unsympathetic about staff morale
Nepotism/favoritism
Pros
tuition waiver
Cons
staff education and commitment devalued
Wouldn't recommend this place.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 7, 2016
Horrible. Upper management including the President is running this place into the ground. This school was once a good school until they fired all of faculty and compensated the void with friends of the President from the for profit sector. The school is so bad when they have to advertise to get students. You don't see DePaul advertising for students. Horrible culture of distrust. I advised students to go elsewhere.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
President, Management
Campus Sattelite
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 13, 2018
The main campus for National Louis University is located in Illinois in the Chicago area. The St. Louis campus was a functional and collaborative work environment.
Struggling Organization
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILApril 13, 2018
Admittedly, I worked at National Louis University during a financially difficult time for the organization. I loved the leader I worked with, but ultimately I was asked to work on a full-time basis, which I could not accommodate. I was released from the University

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Louis University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight