National Mortgage Field Services Employee Reviews

No Way To Make Money With This Company
Field Inspector (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 21, 2018
The pay is around $5 to $8 per inspection. The distance between inspections averaged around 16 miles for me. At the IRS standard mileage rate for the use of a car, that comes out to $8.72 before I have even done an inspection. That means I lose at least .72 for each inspection. The more inspections that are done, the greater the loss. If you do your accounting correctly, there is absolutely no way you can make money with this job. You would be better off staying at home doing nothing.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Expenses exceed income
Not an ideal place to work
Mortgage Field Inspector (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, TNSeptember 7, 2018
I liked the idea of being my own boss, but the work just wasn't available, and the pay was not commensurate with the work involved. If the workflow were consistent and the pay a little higher, it might be worth it.
Pros
independence
Cons
no work available
Learned a good lesson
Mortgage Field Inspector (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAAugust 31, 2018
Hello, I worked for this company for less than a week. Not at all is my review based on the company deactivating my account once I found out the truth about how much I should actually be getting paid and telling the CEO what I was told. At first the 1099 position seemed like a good gig for side money. Until I actually started and realized that the reports clients wanted filled out were somewhat similar to reports that some Appraisers fill out. Inspectors have drive by inspections similar to what Appraisers do plus or minus certain factors. But according to my associates and others that I know, the inspections are suppose to be more than $5-$10 a inspection. Also, I paid for my background check, which was about $65, keys were about $15, tape less than $10, gas it all depends on how many inspections you are doing and how far. Calling utility companies to verify if gas, water, or electric is on, walking around vacant properties taking photos no matter the area( dangerous, but that is the risk you take), entering vacant properties, among other things was fun until I realized how much money I was losing. Let alone I was told about companies like these after I got hired from my associates who work for banks and are real estate agents, yes, I too am a real estate agent. When some appraisers do the same job plus or minus some factors, my associates informed me that the pay was not worth it, it is too low, and told me the pay should be higher for the inspections. Also, according to one of their workers, the highest pay for their clients is $15 which they get half of that according to  more... the text message. Now, I am not a competitor of this company but I will tell you to do the necessary research before applying. I will tell you to talk to your friends, family, or clients who work for banks or in real estate about what the fees should actually be. Now, if the company was sending me 30-40 inspections a day, I would say, sure do it. But I didn't even get half of that in a day. Which isn't profitable and if it is not profitable then what is the point in doing it any longer. Again, I brought it to one of their managers attention and informed them what I found out. Next thing I know I was informed that they would be deactivating my account after I told them to reassign the inspections. Also, I do not mind telling anyone my experiences beyond what I stated so far about me working there for my short time. Also, if you reassign a inspection or leave or they deactivate your account they will do a chargeback fee of $10. All of my inspections were only $5.  less
Pros
Easy getting hired, flexible work, exploring the city
Cons
Job required more than what was advertised in my opinion, low fee for the work required, not enough inspections to complete to make a profit.
Productive and fun workplace
Mortgage Field Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Prosper, TXAugust 4, 2018
A typical day of work would be to receive the addresses for the day's route. Then to set the route. With the proper software, this is an easy task and essential for getting the day to go right. What I learned was that to do the job the right tools is really important. And getting a routine down for each house also helps to not leave something out. The management was always helpful and respectful. The workplace culture was cool because I was mostly alone on the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing very beautiful homes and knowing that my photos were helping to keep it beautiful.
Cons
The further away the more gas needed. When gas prices are high the less money by the end of the day.
A waste of time.
Field service (Former Employee) –  Tulsa County, OKJuly 5, 2018
Worked for them for 90 days haven't received a check yet. They say you work when you want to but yet sends you order Thur out the day Thur email. Management never answers your calls when you have questions or need help. Always calls back days later. $5 and $8 per house is really not worth the time nor gas. Not a good company to work for.
Excellent Company
Field Inspector (Current Employee) –  OklahomaMay 8, 2018
I have read some of these reviews and I am not sure who these people are working for. I have been with this company for 3 years. I knew nothing about this business when I started. The management, including the CEO, have been helpful throughout. A lot of people, like I was at the start, have no idea what this business entails. It is the easiest work physically you will ever do. If you can ride in a vehicle and walk around a property, then you are good to go. NMFS has always been fair with their prices and pay well above the national average. I have had companies ask me to do inspections for $2, NMFS pays at least $5 and sometimes quite a bit more depending on your drive distance. They always pay on the 2nd and 4th Friday. People have to understand that in this business, the average time the banks pay is around 120-180 days. NMFS is never past 60 days. Not only am I self-employed, but now I run my own business because NMFS gave me the opportunity to learn and grow. I would recommend this company to anyone looking to do this kind of work.
I'm on the fence
Independent Contractor (Former Employee) –  Jennings, LAMarch 25, 2018
For my area, this position is definitely not worth it unless you enjoy this type of work. Once gas is factored in, the pay is slim to nothing. Not even close to anything that could be beneficial for bills or any other expenses. At first I didn't have a problem with getting paid, but towards the end before I left there were problems, plus the whole "we're going to hold your check until you make enough money" is complete bull. Money is money regardless, those checks that got held from me just because I missed their minimum requirement to receive my check by one dollar hurt my financial situation at the time. The work is too inconsistent. This job is more suited for teenagers in high school or fresh college students, not grown adults trying to take care of themselves and their families. Unless, like I said, you just enjoy this type of freedom and already have other Independent Contractor positions to do as well.

Other than that, the one other thing I will pick on is lack of a physical employer. Which to a point this is cool, less people to deal with, but employees need a physical face, they need a voice. How can we take you seriously when you're only on a screen like most things we laugh at through Facebook? I never met anyone, not even a phone call. I would try to call my managers for help and receive replies via email or text hours or days later. No interview, nothing. But when they want something they will surely blow up your phone.

Working at WalMart or Shoney's would be a better option for my location, let the kids or someone who doesn't live here have this position.
Pros
Freedom of time, lack of physical boss (all conversations through tech)
Cons
Never met a single employee or even my boss, extremely low pay, waste of time for those trying to build and maintain homes
Low pay
worked in the field (Former Employee) –  Eastern OklahomaFebruary 28, 2018
Not at all worth the pay. They tout this job as nice extra income but it just takes way to much time and money to make back only a little extra change. If you're lucky enough to get houses all in the same area, which you most likely wont starting out, they only pay you a few bucks per house. I did the math on this and I was averaging under $5 /hr. Don't do it.
Horrible company
Inspector (Former Employee) –  ArkansasFebruary 8, 2018
Terrible management, they managed with threats of reducing your pay. They do not pay as they communicated upon hiring. In 4 months I only received a paycheck less than 50 bucks. Steer clear of this company, they are crooks and shouldn’t be allowed to legally operate in the United States.
Pros
Work at your pace!
Cons
They will not pay you as advertised!!!
February 12, 2018

We always pay, 100% of what we owe. But if a payment is reduced it is because it was not completed on time. There are due dates just like in any other business. If you don't complete the job on time, why should a person be paid as if they did? Some people are not used to working as a business for themselves. If we turn in late work to our clients, the banks and mortgage companies, we often do not get paid. Sometimes they even have large charge-backs. This is business to business. That's just how business works. Do it right and on time, and you have nothing to worry about.

Scam ......Their rebuttals to reviews are not truthful
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2018
This company is following the path of many other companies, unfortunately. They take advantage of desperate folks that need extra income. They won't hire you as an employee, just a contractor. They dump all the risk and expense on you. They take your work and tell you it is not adequate so they won't pay you. There is no way for you to check if they submitted it to the client and if THEY got paid for your work. The amount they pay contractors is NOT in line with the national average. It is below, that is, if you are even lucky enough to get a check out of them.

At least the internet is available to warn other people about scam companies like this. Do your due diligence and find a reputable company to work for.
February 8, 2018

We are not sure what “path” it is that we are following from other companies, since we have been in the business longer than 99% of other similar companies in our industry.
How exactly do we take advantage of “desperate folks” by helping them make money for themselves? Since this person does not know any of those we hire, they must be talking about themselves as being “desperate.” Who knows.

Correct, we will not hire people as employees. We hire only Independent Contractors after they take an online course and become certified as a Mortgage Field Service inspector from http://MortgageFieldServices.com The fact that we only hire contractors is written over 42 times in all the documentation that we provide. But you would have to read it to know that. When hiring contractors, we effectually become YOUR client, your customer. Just as we have customers as clients and are not employees to the banks and mortgage companies. We are vendors just like those we hire.

We do not “dump” anything on anyone. If you were a dog groomer you would provide your own tools. You would not expect your customers to pay for them. An electrician or plumber have their own tools.

If we receive a work order that was not completed correctly… not sure what this guy expects. We not provide our clients with substandard work. But even if a Follow-Up is requested, if the work is corrected, we always pay. If a person refuses to correct their mistakes, should we still pay them for shoddy work? Of course not.

Of course there is no way for a vendor to “check” if we were paid or not. That would be our business,  more... not the vendors. You don’t ask Wal-Mart if they paid their vendors for the goods and services you buy. It’s none of our business.

Correct, the amount we pay our vendors is NOT in line with the national average. We pay about $1 to $2 more than the national average. We pay $3 more than the average for the Houston area.

This industry is not a scam. In fact, with the passing of the Dodd/Frank bill 6 years ago, it is now a law that mortgages that are over 45 days past due, have an inspector drive by the property to determine occupancy and condition.
It just goes to show, that people who write negative reviews like this, usually don’t have a clue what they are talking about.

Field Inspector (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma city and surrounding areasJanuary 21, 2018
NMFS pays way over the national pay for this work. I have worked for them for a little over 5 years now, i have never had a problem with them paying on time. I love the work because it is different every day.. It can be a stressful job if you are in a rural area, but that is where you tap into resources like the county assessor, your account managers, the CEO or even other property finding programs which are all free. If you do not like to drive this is not a job for you. The CEO of the company is a very nice, polite, helpful person. The account managers are very helpful and nice people to work them. great company to work for. Keep up the great work Mr. CEO.
Pros
Good pay, flexible hours, tax write offs, being self employed
Cons
No benefits, but again you are self emplyeed
This job is a bad job for 9/10 people.
Property Inspector (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARJanuary 17, 2018
I've been inspecting consistently (and taking extra work orders for that matter as well) for weeks now and haven't been paid a single dime.

The thing about this job is it's not INHERENTLY a bad job, but it is in fact, a bad job for MOST people. Maybe you're a lucky one, but in my experience, often times I'd have to drive upwards of 100-120 miles a day on an AVERAGE day just to "make" at the absolute most, $70. I put make in quotations because I've still not been paid. Their cycle is the 2nd and 4th Friday is when people get paid and I've been around for 2 of those cycles now and not a single penny.

Consider the gas you're going to be buying, the ware you're putting on your vehicle, and the mind numbingly boring work you're going to be doing, I wouldn't waste my time with this again, not to mention the fees you have to pay before they bring you on board.

Absolutely not worth it at all, but it's not bad circumstantially, it's just bad by the nature of it. You're more or less being "paid" for the gas you're using and doing their work for them without taking anything substantial home for yourself.

Management team was great for what it's worth, I've not interacted with someone from this company that I didn't have a high opinion of, truly a shame they're at this company though.
Pros
Management, Flexibility, Loose to no supervision on job
Cons
Flawed (if not nonexistent) payroll cycle, dead end work, not worth the investment to get in
High paced work environment.
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Prosper, TXJanuary 8, 2018
Great place to work if you want to work 7 days per week and into the late evening/night hours. Once went to a required training session for 10 hours during the day and then was expected to work into the wee morning hours (4:00 a.m.) to complete the work for that day.
Top of the line company in the mortgage field service industry
Mortgage Field Service Inspector (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 21, 2017
Working in the mortgage field service industry is very engaging and proactive. You have the opportunity to explore different areas and observe different houses.
Contract employer only.
Field Inspector (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 24, 2017
This job is great for someone who does not want a full 40 hour week. It is flexible where you can work at your own pace. Work load per week fluctuates.
Pros
Flexible
Worst
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Pocahontas, ARAugust 13, 2017
I worked for three months for this company. Done multiple inspections and never received a single payment for services. My inspections were on time and done correctly.
Cons
No pay
February 10, 2018

No one has worked for our company for 3 months without getting paid. We pay when we say we are going to pay, always. Sometimes when you are the #1 company in an area, the lower end companies will get people to write bad reviews on purpose. Just be mindful of that when reading negative reviews. Compare them to the real reviews by real contractors.

Great place to work!!
Inspector/Contractor (Former Employee) –  Rogers County, OKAugust 1, 2017
I really enjoyed working here. I covered Rogers and Mayes County in OK until very recently. People really should research the industry before they start complaining about how a company operates. NMFS gave me a lot of work. They pay good and on time when they say they are. The management was nice and patient with me even though I was having a lot of troubles. I think I spoke at one point with everybody that worked there, including the CEO, and they were all courteous but serious about the work. This industry is where the money is at as long as you have some common sense. I would still work for NMFS but unfortunately I have become too ill at this point to be able to guarantee on time work and that is extremely important. NMFS was honest and fair with me and I hope to continue my career with them when I get well. Keep up the good work guys!!
Pros
Freedom, decide your pay, own your own business, tax write-offs
Cons
Nothing noteworthy, bugs maybe...but that's why they make bug spray.
They're a complete JOKE!!
Field Services Technician (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJune 30, 2017
This company is a scam, you never receive compensation of any kind, I have done several inspections and not once seen a penny. It's a very high risk especially in rural areas where the crazier drunken people are.
Pros
Absolutely NONE
Cons
List goes on
February 10, 2018

This is an example of a fake review from our competitors. Drunken people in rural areas. That's a new one! lol

No money to be made here
Field Inspector (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJune 1, 2017
I applied and was accepted to inspect for this company.
My first opportunity was for 4 inspections that were approximately 90 miles round trip for me. These inspections were unassigned and could be bid on to complete. I bid $24 for each of the four, planning to make all in a single day. At 50 cents per mile to operate my vehicle (not just gas, mind you) and most of a day of labor for $96 would net me approximately $8 per hour, using my phone, my car and accepting all the risk (suit, accident, etc). They did not accept.
I was assigned an inspection a few days later-it was 50 miles round trip--they offered to pay $8.
This job converts your vehicle into a very small amount of cash. After
all expenses, you lose.
Pros
flexible work time
Cons
No way to make any money, after expenses
Field Inspector (Former Employee) –  Cabot, ARMarch 24, 2017
Great company to work for. Unfortunately, due to a unforeseen circumstances I did not get to work for them long. If you read eveything they send you and follow instructions you will succeed as a field inspector. Someone is always available to answer questions and they truly care. Overall, great job for someone that loves being their own boss and working at their own pace (as long as you meet your deadlines).
Pros
Work at your own pace, good hours, and A+ management
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Mortgage Field Services. Our community is ready to answer.

National Mortgage Field Services Reviews by Location