National MS Society Employee Reviews

I enjoyed this organization until new leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 6, 2018
The restructure was a way to become a more top heavy company, which in turn made everyone at the chapters overloaded on work. The organization does not care about the individuals who work there only when it suits them.
Pros
working for a cause you believe in
Cons
senior leadership
Loved my job
Walk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDApril 23, 2018
I loved my job at times it became challenging, not because of the company just some of the work I had to do in my area. I gave low scores on benefits because my position did not come with benefits, and management I couldn't really rate because I didn't work with the last manager I had for long.
Great Internship
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Maitland, FLJanuary 27, 2018
Appreciate every thing I learned as an intern. I was here to fulfill intern requirements for my graduate program. They were a great team to work with and I had the pleasure of meeting great people from the community
Alignment has it's challenges
SR DEVELOPMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 8, 2018
I have enjoyed my time at the Society and love all of the relationships I have made and the impact the Society makes in the lives of those living with MS. The alignment has been challenging to say the least and I feel like upper management is losing site of the people that are actually doing the work and the talent and just looking at head count and dollars.
Excellent NPO to work for!
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 13, 2017
I was a seasonal data entry clerk for the National MS Society. I enjoyed working for this company a lot. the office atmosphere is very focused and always on task.
Pros
working for a cause
Change
Any other data entry (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 28, 2017
Has restructured the Society and seems unorganized. People in charge of Depts., they are not familiar with. Hard to work with some "micro-managers" who eavesdrop.
Pros
Great Benefits and time off, Co- workers are very nice.
Cons
stressful phone work, Society has restructured and is a bit chaotic.
Shake Up Happening
Director of Volunteer Resources (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 1, 2017
The Society is undergoing a huge realignment across the country. Many positions have been eliminated which has led to staff taking on a lot of extra work with no end in sight and no compensation for the extra responsibilities. Done much too fast with many areas not well thought out, leaving not enough help and a lot of upset people and hard feelings. It will take a few years to settle down and more people will need to be hired. It is such a shame so many experienced and knowledgeable staff have left or will leave. A great opportunity for people beginning their careers. It was a pleasure helping people and having a career that was bigger than myself.
Everyone focused on the mission to assist those with MS
Development Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 23, 2017
Great benefits and office hours however due to the nature of the work the pay was not competitive. Overall structure is balanced with opportunities for advancement and training. Everyone did have a tendency to go their office and shut their door and send emails verses face-to-face dialogue. Lots of meetings!
Pros
Great office location with comp covered parking and excerise area
Cons
Low pay
Fun
Volunteer Office Worker (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 20, 2017
I'm only office worker, so I usually sort papers, send out mail and packages, along with interacting with the other employees on the events that National MS Society is planning. I learn about the different ways that MS could be made heard in the community and different organizations that are science-related that they work with.
Pros
Kind staff, make more connections with people and groups, etc.
Cons
Short breaks
Upper Management has no clue
Individual Giving Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 21, 2017
Leadership doesn't know what's going on; lower level employees are great but turnover is large.
Time off and benefits are good, 35 hours work week; pay not great compared to other places.

Want to know more about National MS Society?

Ask a question
Wonderful place to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 10, 2017
A great organization that helps so many. I would recommend the MS Society to anyone. The most enjoyable part was being able to help clients who were in need of basic equipment for day to day living when the government wouldn't. They were eligible for social security disability because they were unable to work due to their MS, but could not get Medicaid because Social Security benefits put them just over the medicaid limits, but the necessary equipment, medical, etc., left them with less than the average person. Without the MS Society, some would have no lights, water, etc...
Pros
People
Cons
No cons - great place
Fun and exciting internship
Special Events Intern (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 26, 2017
I work as a Special Events intern under the Development Coordinator. What I do varies, depending on the day and times I come in. Sometimes I sit in on meetings to learn how meetings regarding logistics go. Sometimes I visit the sites where events will be held and other times I make cold calls. During the time of one of the luncheons I made and sent out the invitations. And I have also sent out handwritten thank you notes. It's not always fun exactly, but I am learning a lot here.
Loved Working with These People
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 10, 2017
Volunteering at the MS Society was great. Everyone was so kind and supportive of each other. The management was fantastic, as they made sure everyone was doing what they needed to in the right area. I learned how much love and support complete strangers can have for each other, which makes me so happy. The hardest part of the job was trying to get around, because there was a lot of people in just about every area of the event, but other than that, it was completely enjoyable. In fact, the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing how happy everyone was to be around each other and support each other.
Pros
supportive, great cause
Review Summary
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 10, 2016
Non-Profit, it feels nice to give back. Continuous learning is a plus, people are easy to work with. Volunteer opportunities a must.
Cash Receipts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 5, 2016
MS Society brought awareness to the issue. Fundraising millions of dollars annually for the cause. Volunteers committed countless hours to make sure events were successful.
Pros
Cause related organization
Cons
small local organization with little room for advancement
This is a wonderful place to work. Everyone here is very passionate about the constituents and their needs.
Constituent Information Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 1, 2016
When i walk into work everyday i have a smile on my face. I enjoy what do. I have learned its about the people that suffer from MS. The money that is raised helps find a cure. My boss is awesome and she enjoys her job just as much as my co-workers and I do. The hardest part about my job is not finding a cure for people that are suffering with MS. I enjoy everything about my job.
Pros
The people that I work with
Excellent cause to help.
volunteer Walk MS Committee Member (Current Employee) –  Aventura, FLMarch 11, 2016
Very important efforts to help reach a cure for MS, and an excellent way to join people with MS with those serving to help them.

Very happy to be part of an effort to reach a cure.
Pros
Importance
Cons
Cyclical
Challenges and changes
President (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEFebruary 12, 2016
While I always held the same position within the organization, the position changed throughout my tenure. Initially the organization was small, one of 100+ chapters. At the end of my time there were less than 40 due to mergers and realignments. Realignments enabled an organization to maximize its back office through shared services, while honing the ability to expand fund raising. This positions the organization to compete with other health oriented charities for the much needed research funding.

With so many pharmaceutical interventions and treatments available now, the cure should be in sight with this singular lens of effort.
Pros
Being part of something larger
Cons
Being part of something larger
Great organization with amazing staff and employee benefits
Associate Vice President, Call Center Operations (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 11, 2013
The National MS Society's Information Resource Center, the organizations nationwide call center, is an extremely busy and frenetic environment. The "Specialists" or agents who take calls manage over 1,000 calls and 100 emails daily in addition to auditing social media contacts. The management team is supportive and the team is a collection of committed and hard-working Social Workers, predominately Master's level. It is challenging to work at the very busy pace and ensure Specialists obtain the training and education they need in order to skillfully answer client questions and manage the technology needed to perform their jobs. However, the team is incredibly supportive, knowledgeable and professional.
Pros
Supportive co-workers, great benefits and 7 hour work day
Cons
Extremely busy and stressful environment
The MS Society was a very warm, inviting atmosphere. I was happy to be there making a difference for those who need assistance due to MS.
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 22, 2013
Each day I reported to my manager to discuss my progress on my delegated tasks, get feedback on submitted work, and discuss new tasks to take on. I learned a lot about how to handle delicate situations that come along with working in a nonprofit organization for an illness. Each department was very close knit and dynamic. They were able to keep a lighthearted spirit as well as come together to get a lot done. The hardest part of the job was limiting myself to brand specific guidelines simply because it was new to me to stay on a consistent color pallet the entire time. However, this challenged me to develop new creative ways to use their color pallet. This job gave me great happiness in knowing that my designs can help bring joy and encourage support for those who are living with Multiple Sclorosis.
Pros
Gave me experience with meeting strict deadlines, and the challenges of making everyone happy
Cons
I was not supplied my own computer for creating the designs