National Multiple Sclerosis Society Employee Reviews

Toxic work culture & direction changes at the drop of a hat
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  ColoradoSeptember 18, 2018
Horrid work culture. Many employees, board members, and donors are still struggling to understand the Matrix Structure of the organization. Former chapter president still works out of the same chapter office alongside a new Executive Director. If that's not a red flag for anyone then I don't know what is. Old staff clicks, habits, and norms still ooze out of the chapter due to the former President working out of the office! No chance for new leadership to make an impression or direct on the staff without the staff going behind their back running to the old President for advice and or to gossip, etc.
Pros
Good mission
Cons
Leadership is lost at times, Direction changes on a dime, Constant meetings/work groups, Meetings for the sake of having meetings, Long hours outside the office at events and more...
Manager MS Clinical Information (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 16, 2018
The NMSS is a good place to work for the employee that wants generous time off rather than upper tier pay. Good for parents with small children. Not a demanding workplace.
Pros
good workplace with generous time off
Cons
typical non-profit issues.
Hostile Work Environment
Administrative Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 3, 2018
I was forced to quit after reporting multiple instances of bullying by a co-worker to management and getting no resolution. I was forced to endure an extremely hostile work environment until I could no longer take the constant stress.
Productive and fun place with incredible coworkers.
Graphic Designer Junior - Internship (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 27, 2018
A typical day would start with a recap of all ongoing projects and due dates (marketing and design departments). Communication was key to keep the workflow.

The harder part of the job has to attend the needs of corporate and their not always reasonable turn around time frame for projects, or design guide line that were not followed (and made my job harder).

The most enjoyable part was the co-workers. Amazing, friendly people that thought me a lot about working in a team.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
No parking lot
Comfortable, Fun place, and Collective Effort
Constituent Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2018
Working for this company has been a great opportunity. The company works together through all departments and as a whole. My department communicates well and works as a cohesive group of individuals.
Pros
comfortable work space, free lunches from time to time, great team
Cons
the possibilty of non advancement
Good place to work - non-profit environment
Director of Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2018
Small, closer-knit team. Most major decisions controlled by headquarters. Good mission and focus - to assist individuals afflicted with multiple sclerosis. Working the major fundraising events was intense but rewarding.
Pros
Changing peoples lives
Cons
Resources avaialbility
Busy
Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 20, 2018
Part time job working as a program coordinator that entails, receptionist, processing of travel vouchers, and expense reports, submitting lobby reports to the government every quarter, vendor contact, computer troubleshoot contract, data entry, writing RFP's, working with Members of Congress and their staff, occasionally visiting with them during the annual conference.
Typical compensation for non-profit and received solid exposure for the type of position
Development Associate (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYApril 26, 2018
Management displayed social and racial prejuidices and was not held accountable. Compensation and benefits was beyong unreasonable. Job description was misrepresented.
Pros
Interaction with community and society members
Cons
Management and compensation
Team atmosphere.
President (Former Employee) –  AnonymousApril 20, 2018
Humbling. Professionals with a passion for making a difference in other's lives will find the work well worth the 60 hour plus work weeks. The organization's emphasis on training is one of it's hallmarks especially for young professionals with limited workplace experience and expertise. For some, work/life balance is an issue. Those employees who "watch the clock" will not find this to be the ideal place to work. There have been a lot of changes in the organization over the past two years - some positive, some not. As the less positive aspects of the "new" business model are addressed the organization will regain it's status as one of the best places to work. Current benefits including paid time off are quite satisfactory.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Inexperienced young professionals
Great management, fun environment
Graphic Designer Intern (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJApril 18, 2018
Everyone was super friendly and motivated for a non-profit organization. They allowed me to get the graphics experience I needed for future endeavors, and they helped me with my organization and time management skills as well.
Pros
Great management, fun environment, quiet, great collabortation
Cons
No pay, but I was an intern so it's understandable, otherwise no complaints at all
Amazing!
Internship (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 27, 2018
Amazing company! Staff was extremely friendly, very supportive, and overall had an amazing work ethic. Team work was outstanding and if I had a question they were quick to help with a solution. I would recommend this to anyone!
Specialized fundraising for medical related organization
Development Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 14, 2018
Working for the MS Society was both rewarding and enjoyable. Through my participation I received a wealth of information about a disease I knew nothing about.
Nice place to work
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 13, 2018
Everyone at the company was very kind and focused. I was there a very short time, but the work I did was rewarding and I learned a lot about networking and server management.
Excellent pace to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAFebruary 9, 2018
A lot of fun and the coordinators were very appreciative. They were organized and professional; the event went very smoothly and everyone seemed pleased.
great first job
Director of Social Services (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 10, 2018
worked long hours with clients who were very appreciative and workers who put their hearts and souls into their jobs, frequent turnover due to poor pay : great opportunity to learn skills of supervision and development of new programs
Pros
lots of learnning opportunitie
Cons
very poor pay
No job security
expenses and administrative tasks (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 3, 2018
Very poor management. $9M spent on corporate travel the same year they laid off over 200 employees. You didn't know from day to day whether you had a job or not. Dictatorship style CEO.
Alignment process hurt agency
Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta North, GAJanuary 2, 2018
Poor management practices
Unfair practices with hiring. They already know who they want to give internal positions to.
No room for career advancement
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Poor communication to staff from leadership
volunteer work
Committee Member and Volunteer (Former Employee) –  usaDecember 31, 2017
nice place to work for and with, its always nice to help others when you can. Volunteerism is worth while, helping our less fortunate brothers and sisters is necessary.
Pros
Helping others
Volunteer
Special Events Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 29, 2017
I was a volunteer at the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I helped with their annual walk and found everyone to be helpful and inviting.
busy job with rewarding outcomes
VP Operations (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 20, 2017
I enjoyed my time at the National MS Society. The work was demanding and stressful, but the outcomes were well worth it. I was disappointed in the company's restructure, but I wish them all the best.