National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,659 reviews matching the search See all 2,211 reviews
great company to work for
Dewater technician (Former Employee) –  dj basin coloradoMay 19, 2018
NOV was a great company to work for. Management worked to ensure that proper training is provided. felt that you could always talk to upper management with peace of mind.
Great job
Special Projects Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 17, 2018
I truly enjoyed working at NOV. When the industry was in full swing, my position allowed me to take care of my customers with the company's interests in mind. it was a a great learning experience. i cannot think badly of the company, even after i was laid off. I miss it, the work, and the people, both internal and external.
A job for the young single guys
Senior Field Service Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 17, 2018
Was extremely physical job. Very long hours, at least 16 hours a day. Comp and Benefits were ok but cost of living in Texas was astronomical so it balanced out to a regular job. Management is young and inexperienced.
Great place to learn
Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2018
If you are looking to work in the oil and gas with little to no experience, this is a good place to start at. Fair pay and good hours. It gives lots of opportunity for growth.
Company very unacceptable.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  The WoodlandsMay 10, 2018
Management is not professional, job was disorganized, after a two weeks I had not been trained for the job. Slow at everything. Discouraging. Unfair. The company should train managers on how to treat employees.
I was hired twice by the company with a few years in between to do contract work for them.
I tell agencies never to send me there.
This job is cut throat the management doesn’t care about your home life
Warehouse Lead (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 9, 2018
Just easy the management here live to work you to the bone they always want you working while they take their weekends off and when they are at work they just stand around and talk and do exactly what they tell you not to do and they also take 2 or 3 hour business lunches (which are paid for by the company and they get paid while on lunch) when the employees have to clock out for lunch and ask permission to take a hour like a kid, also they don’t care for your family/home life my wife was in a car accident and management told me to make a choice my job or my wife. That is all!!!!!
Pros
Insurance and 401K paid time off
Cons
Management, you pay for parking, micromanaged, and turnover rate is ridiculous
Free lunches
MD Totco (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 9, 2018
Most of team were very motivated and eager to assist in assisting new hires. I enjoyed to "Gung Ho" atmosphere. (All new hires were to read and attend "Gung Ho" classes). Products were made the American way. Good company.
Pros
Free lunches. Gung Ho classes. Good people (Leander, Tx.)
Cons
Sitting at repair bench, no windows
Weak supporting management
Employee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 8, 2018
Management with minimal focus on long term improvements, Old school PUSH mentality, everything is a rush. Employee development might be non existent for the majority.
Pros
you have a job
Cons
Career?
Typical work day at NOV
Senior Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 4, 2018
You can get called out at any time of day or night. Once you are called you leave your home or the office to head to a rig to get the job done. Once you've completed that one job, you could get called out to go to another rig and work on something totally different than what you did at the previous job site. The hardest part of the job is dealing with people that don't care if you're right or not, they just want to argue because the believe they are right all the time. You learn how to deal with that type of personality. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the customers your work for/with and have a good rapport with them.
Cons
working 16+ hours a day
I have fun workplace
Electrical mechanical assembly (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 3, 2018
new power supply cabinets along with all related wiring and equipment Install Panels lay out, wiring and terminating for chassis and skids mount control units.Installed Sever cabinet, PET wiring, Customer supporting and Engineer support
safety orientated
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXMay 2, 2018
nice company to work for just not much room to advance unless you graduated from A&M or have family that currently work for the company. Still have a great rapport with colleagues outside of work.
Was a great job
Warehouse Foreman, Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 2, 2018
NOV is a great place to work, most is the oil field type work but its a good paying job for the most part

The work place was always clean and most the people you worked with were pretty good people
Wonderful plant, unfortunate industry.
BUYER (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAMay 1, 2018
There is a great possibility I would still be an employee had there not been such a severe downturn 2 years ago. Management was helpful and the admin staff was great but HR could have done well with some housecleaning.
Been a while since we received raises.
Materials supervisor/ Cost Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2018
This location is a branch of NOV. Business has been slow for several years hence no raises. I’m secure in my job as I’m the only one in the position. Unfortunately there is no advancement unless my boss dies or leaves company. There is a strong divide between upper and lower management. The “Good Ole Boys” club is very intrenched in upper management and I have yet to see someone cross from lower management to upper without a connection to this club. The atmosphere is very relaxed as long as you get your work done. This year will be 10 years for me and id say ive been here for the medical benefits for my family and job security over the pay.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Low compensation
New Environment, slower pace
Contractor Process Engineer/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2018
NOV was more of an assignment and it was not enough time to adequately evaluate all aspects of the job. Within the organization I supported they were in the process of rolling out new software to improve there procurement process. Lots of challenges ahead to change the culture with the currently software system being used.
Pros
culture was good
Cons
N/a
Productive workplace
Mold assembly (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXMay 1, 2018
I only left because of my meager hourly rate. I feel I should have recieved a raise when I asked for one. My manager ,who no longer works there was great.
Experience at NOV
Quality/ Receiving Inspector (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXMay 1, 2018
The working environment was not bad at all but the pay could have been better. At NOV their is no room for growth and advancement. I learn a lot from trial and error than hands on training. The best part of the day was breaks because I enjoyed the time spent with coworkers.
Pros
working environment
Cons
pay and managment
buen lugar de trabajo
Machinist CNC (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2018
buen ambiente laboral, el trabajo es repetitivo en las cnc
Absolute madness
Planner (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 30, 2018
Coworkers are amazing, thank god because you couldn’t make it thru without them! Management is a JOKE! If you want to work at a place where if you do a good job then you are expected to do more and do others work and do not EVER expect a “pat on the back” because it will never happen.... Exactly why the turnover rate is thru the roof...
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management is an absolute joke
Sweat shop
Metrology Technician / CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXApril 30, 2018
You show up to work and you run your operation as fast as humanly possible without sitting ever. You do all of this without complaint for 70 hours per week. Take some time off if you dare.
Pros
Good benfits.
Cons
Inhumane Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Oilwell Varco. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight