National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews

Found 1,826 reviews matching the search See all 2,470 reviews
Entry level Oil Company
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2018
This company is only for entry level people seeking to join the oilfield. Once you have mastered operations and your position, it is best to find a new company to work for. They will not increase your pay and be competitive with other companies nor do they wish to. You will work long hours and long days just to make ends meet. If you show any sign of intelligence they will try and move you to a salaried position with less pay and more responsibility. Look to join this company if you have little or no oilfield knowledge as they will more then likely hire you. Be aware that the job you are hired for may not be the job you end up doing.
Pros
allows entry level personnel, lower management are great, company functions
Cons
poor benefits, Non-competitive wages, poor upper management, constant change
Very fast paced and need to be able to learn quikly.
welder,fabricator,machinist,equipment oporator (Former Employee) –  Hwy. 60 W. Pampa, TXAugust 31, 2018
A day in this production plant consist of welding, fabricating and possibly changing prints with the help of drafting. At this Location it is possible to learn anything in the fabrication field, from running machines, welding, and the operations of heavy equipment and over head cranes. the management is average and usually leaves you alone to finish tasks. there is not much room for advancement due to the longevity of the in place supervisors. the culture is oilfield base and can be rough due to language and differences in personal cultures. The hardest part of the job is the fact that when busy, there is no family time, the hours can range from 40 hrs a week to 7-12 hr days without time off. The most enjoyable part of the job to me was the fact that I was able to learn several aspects of different jobs, to include assembly of mobile drilling units from start to finish.
Pros
good money when the job is busy.
Cons
no time at home amd when you are home your too tired to do anything else.
Great company
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 1, 2018
Payroll Processor -> Process payroll for all weekly paid employees including Plant and temporary employees. Control data changes to employee files, earnings, deductions, time sheets and balancing.
Responsible for real estate leases, coordinating new and renewal lease procedures between Area Managers, Legal Department and Executive Management. Set up and maintain lease files on computer, pay rent and other expenses pertaining to lease properties. Responsible for American Express Corporate account including processing applications, monthly reporting and collection efforts as needed. Coordinate claims filed for workers compensation with the proper state authority or Insurance Company.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Good company but management lacked
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 1, 2018
Great company that started off with a great work culture. They paid well and took care of the employees in that aspect. Management could have been better about listening to employees and helping to fulfill the needs of those employees. Field supervisors were given too much leniency even when they were doing things against company policy. Things brought to the hire-ups attention tended to be swept under the rug and not discussed and fixed.
Pros
Plenty of hours, company vehicle, good insurance
Cons
Management, Issues not being taken care of, parts never seemed to come when company promised
Unequal Pay, but flexible for working parents
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER III (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 1, 2018
While I had bosses that fought for me to have better pay, upper management would drag their feet while coworkers and male counterparts were making 5-20% more than me. If you are a female easily offended by men making lewd comments or jokes, or if you don't have a strong enough personality to defend yourself, don't work here. You build your relationships based on how well you can take a joke or have a really good comeback, which I was very good at. The best thing about this job was the flexibility of being able to leave early for appointments, games, school events, etc., so if you're a working parent, this is a great place. The training was minimal, but we had a training center. If you want training, seek it out on your own or don't get any at all.
Pros
good work-life balance, opportunities worldwide
Cons
unequal pay, massive amounts of chauvinistic views, minimal training, high risk for lay-offs during oilfield downturns
When it is good, it is good! When it is bad, it's bad!
Sales Support Specialist/Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXSeptember 20, 2018
Working at NOV during the down turn will really upset you. Your friends will be laid off by the boat load. When it is good you may get a bonus, but no promises. A raise? What's that? The best thing about NOV is the family values. If you're in you will be treated as family. Also, Management is constantly turning over.
Pros
Oil and Gas and the family values
Cons
Oil and Gas slumps
four years and no raises
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  Harvey, LAJanuary 18, 2019
I was there for four years and no raise. They even took the Christmas bonus away and even that was very little. If they continue this trend great employees will leave and find better paying jobs
Pros
a good work life balance
Cons
bad compensation
NOV Review
NOV Product Development Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 17, 2018
NOV is a decent place to work with low salary, but potentially high bonuses. The biggest problem with NOV is a lack of procedure in place to advance/promote employees. There is no set raise per year (for inflation) and no competencies/markers to hit in order to be promoted/get a raise. Therefore, the employee must take it into their own hands to obtain a promotion and this is usually dragged out for sometime.
Easy, but slow paced.
Centrifugal pump assembler (Former Employee) –  McAlester, OKOctober 13, 2018
Before merging with a larger entity, it was a great place to work, with paid lunches, incentive bonuses, and annual safety bonuses and raises, with advancement opportunities. Since joining Rig Systems, all bonuses have been stopped and there was a 4 year wage freeze, preventing employee advancement, with zero cost of living compensation. Paid lunches were also removed.
Pros
Available overtime
Cons
Loss of safety and incentive bonuses, yearly bonus, Christmas bonus, and paid lunch.
National Oilwell Varco
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 11, 2018
I was with this company since it was a small one owner business. I watched is go from a one owner business to owned by Drexell corporation which was then purchased by Tuboscope which was purchased by Varco which merged with National Oilwell to become National Oilwell/Varco. This company would not be where it is today without the input from our engineering group.
Pros
Worked with the best bunch of engineers ever
Cons
Management changed 4 years later and we stopped getting raises
Decent organization, great corporate culture
Company Card and Expense Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2018
The company provides a good workplace environment with an above average corporate culture. While the culture is above average, there tends to be a silo mentality which promotes segmented groupings.
Pros
Ability to grow both professionally as well as personally
Cons
Compensation is generally below market value
Great Summer Internship Experience
Business Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 26, 2018
Management was extremely helpful in answering any questions related to task at hand or career in general. Workplace culture was very collaborative and tightly knit. Management facilitated introductions to other individuals within organization to allow for further growth/exposure.
it would be better to hire or promote within when new opportunity is available
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXFebruary 10, 2019
A typical day at work starts from 8 am to 5 pm.
A lot of opportunities to learn and develop your skill set
The management is okay but there is little opportunity for career advancement
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Oilfield life long hours lots of work
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Rosenberg, TXSeptember 21, 2018
Long hours are required sometimes 12 to 16 in one day schedule is a bit hectic at times for a career advancement must undergo lots of testing in red tape just for a few dollars shop is hot during summer time freezing cold during winter time but you do get three breaks two 15 minute and one 30 minutes lunch
Pros
Decent pay work with hands environment
Cons
Very hard hours to work if you are not use it shop environment
Good job while it lasted
HSE Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 30, 2019
Management favorable to family members and friends.
Not enough overtime.
No room for advancement.
Company had major ROF layoff following oil market.
Unstable job security
No job rehire as promised, even when openings came available.
Pros
Good work enviornment
Cons
unstable employment
Stay Away
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJuly 28, 2018
The most greedy company i have ever seen in my life. Company cares more about if the managers get their bonus, and will work the hourly people to death to meet that goal. Staff can go years without a raise, and the company healthcare continues to get worse and worse.
Big Time buddy system here, if you dont know someone higher up...you will NEVER get promoted.
If times get hard and they need to lay off, get ready to do the job of multiple people without any extra compensation.
Morale is horrible, everyone hates there job.
Pros
Overtime is there
Cons
Manager focus on bonuses, no opportunity for advancement, everyone is miserable
A Day at Work
Aftermarket Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 9, 2018
A normal day at work is very active. I attend an average of 2 meetings a day. I begin by arriving and walking through the department acknowledging my employees and checking up on workloads. I spend my day gathering reports and numbers for management. Answering questions from Houston staff and operations teams. I work with US Administration on training and validating information. I am one of the ERP system experts and work worldwide with employees on ERP systems issues or questions. I receive approximately 150-300 emails daily, some are for filing only, but spend quite a bit of time answering and resolving issues for Administration and Operations teams.
Pros
Flexible and Family Environment
Cons
Work Life Balance
Great company as a sales organization
Drilling Solution Engineer / Sales Eng (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 24, 2018
great company as a sales organization driven, not a good environment for engineering in some of the company's divisions, some divisions rarely promote training and career development programs for employees, although the management is great. work place culture is great.
Been a while since we received raises.
Materials supervisor/ Cost Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 1, 2018
This location is a branch of NOV. Business has been slow for several years hence no raises. I’m secure in my job as I’m the only one in the position. Unfortunately there is no advancement unless my boss dies or leaves company. There is a strong divide between upper and lower management. The “Good Ole Boys” club is very intrenched in upper management and I have yet to see someone cross from lower management to upper without a connection to this club. The atmosphere is very relaxed as long as you get your work done. This year will be 10 years for me and id say ive been here for the medical benefits for my family and job security over the pay.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Low compensation
Age discrimination/Poor training
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 21, 2018
Management is poor/ the people are rude, training is very bad, they have no knowledge of the ERP systems.
And to much favoritisms
This was a company I looked up to until I worked there
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor training and poor knowledge of ERP systems

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Oilwell Varco. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

1.5Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss