National Oilwell Varco Employee Reviews for CNC Machinist

Ratings breakdown
Found 37 reviews matching the search See all 2,337 reviews
Productive but no sense of direction
CNC Machinist (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXMarch 27, 2018
I like working there and with some of the guy's but management is terrible and the no incentives, no raises, no reason to work hard and no loyalty to the employees. They want a lot from us but don't want to give to us.
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXMarch 21, 2018
Lots of overtime , easy work , not a good ole boy club pay and insurance is great , benefits are great , 2 weeks paid vacation the day you start, they have good gages, good management
Pros
Pay And overtime
Cons
Don't get hurt
NOV have weekly safety meeting that motivate employee being safe every day at work or at home.
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2017
I find NOV is a fair work place and a competitive company to work for. NOV has excellent benefit that employee and family depend on. NOV have it's own product line and is rate one of the best world wide.
Much improvement is needed
CNC Machinist/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 25, 2017
Weak managers. Very cut throat environment. No compensation increases. Bonuses have been stripped from employees. Turn around rates in this particular facility is high.
Cons
A management restructure should be in order. Lack of leadership.
It was dependable until the plant was closed. I was offfered a job in Houston, so far away. Not willing to re-locate.
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Willis, TXSeptember 20, 2017
I came to work, and talked to the previous shift, and went to work. The hardest part of the job was trying to make small parts in tolerance that the machine was not capable of because it was meant for larger parts. They treated me well until my job was gone because plant was closed. I lost my job after 30 years. I did nothing wrong. I miss it very much. Trying to start over. Co-workers and benifets and supervisor was great.
Pros
good benefits, and co-workers, safety incentives.
Cons
too much overtime for me. some people wanted that overtime.
Very good place to work for
Mechanical Assembler/ sales / CNC machinists (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2017
I learned a lot in this company it taught me a lot about the oil and gas industry. Great company with great benefits and decent starting pay. The people there are easy going, the schedule was one the best schedules Ive ever had, very convenient.
Pros
Safety meetings, great benefits, holiday bbqs
Cons
Lay off, no job security
work benefit
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2017
good benefit but you work by the group dealer
as they like you then you survival but not you out!
manager don't care your work ,all they care products and number
product is mess after all after send customers
Pros
good benefits
Cons
work as you need to bribery and suck.... if not you out!!
CNC machining in the shop
CNC Machinist/Programmer (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXApril 27, 2017
Begin shift with operations in process, check the machines job board.
Continue production as required and make changes if necessary to maintain quality. Lead men are picked by favoritism rather than experience and leave much to be desired if machining issues arise.
First article inspection is always a problem, as they eliminated that position, and rely on all the machinists to fill in which requires shutting down, or waiting for a break in the program. All parts are timed and any variances are written on your machine board. This used to be a fast paced fun place to work, but when economy dictated micro management, and you are not in the boys club things can become harsh and hard. The most enjoyable time was setting up "The Blue Room" and training machinists to run the machines. Unfortunately when it came to layoff time I got picked.
It seemed we were doing 12 hours straight for two weeks with one day off for a long time, and then down to just eight hours a day for five days. All in all it was an experience and sometimes I miss it, and other time I'm glad I'm free.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Poor management and decision making.
productive, good work envirenment
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 21, 2016
safety first,good working condition.good benefits,friendly co workers,friendly management.I like to work their that's why i worked 20 years.
NOV complimentary
CNC machinist (Former Employee) –  Orange, CA 92868December 5, 2016
NOV is a fair and fun work place to work. We have a lot overtime working, great team work, sharing knowledge. support each others in every hot jobs. Good communication, good management
Pros
free gifts, free lunch for the best team
Cons

Want to know more about National Oilwell Varco?

Ask a question
No job security
Cnc Machinist/Operator (Former Employee) –  Willis, TXOctober 13, 2016
I worked at this facility and it was bought by NOV and everything changed. We no longer got raises bonuses and we continously had our schedules changed until we were let go.
Productive and enjoyable place
CNC Machinist/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 23, 2016
I enjoyed the way everyone worked together and helped each other to accomplish tasks in a timely manner. Also the supervisors were fair and worked with the employees to resolve problems.
A day at work
CNC Programmer/Machinist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 19, 2016
For the most part, there is always something to be worked on, set-ups are minimized due to an organized tool crib and fixture room. Management support your working environment.
Pros
A/C in shop
Cons
Parking
Pays Good
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXMay 22, 2016
The Job is consistent of being a production shop , it pays well and the benefits are good , besides the uncontrollable lead machinist , its alright place to work.
Benefits
Cons
lead machinist, supervisors
CNC Programmer/Machinist (Former Employee) –  McAlester, OKApril 20, 2016
start at 5am I would update programs as needed and would run whatever machine needed run I can run any machine in the house.
Pros
learned alot
Cons
slow work becaus of oilfield slowdown
High effiency required of employees.
CNC Machinist, VTC and CNC Lathes (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2016
The hardest part of the job was trying to find your supervisor. As machinists, we know our jobs and the language that the machines speak. Memory storage in the machines of successfully ran programs was and is at a premium. We, as machinist, know how to properly and safely set-up jobs and correct programs that are not to print. What was and is lacking can be discussed in person.
Pros
Free coffee and an occassional employee appreciation meal.
Cons
Non-controlled climate work enviroment for critical tolerances.
good plave to work
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 24, 2016
Good place to work. Used to have lots of overtime until the oil prices went down. Good benefits and everything. Really miss it. One of the best place I've ever worked.
Pros
good benefits, air conditioned
Cons
nothing to complain about
great secure job
CNC Machinist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 4, 2016
work there was steady, and supervisors were helpful and appreciative. Safety was a great concern and satisfaction was met with the guidelines that safety measures they educated us on.
learn alot in how bad managemenr could effect
cnc machinist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 6, 2016
it a good place to work. great coworker, however the management is very bad, not fair, cover up for family and blame on someonelse
Stable work load coming to machine shop. 4- shifts per machine
CNC Machinist/ LEAD MAN/ NIGHT SHIFT (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 3, 2015
Very large & stable company.
4 shift per machine is a down side in term of employees' overtime & communications.
I personally did not have much experience to the upper levels of management
To the lower level of management here, the problems are typical as at everywhere else- unfair practice, favoritism, preference treatments, lower pay for Asians comparing to the same skill & years of experience level of those who are White or Hispanics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Oilwell Varco. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

1.5Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss