National Railway Equipment Co. (NRE) Employee Reviews

No comment
Diesel Technician/Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Silvis, ILSeptember 20, 2019
No comment, not a long term employment path.
Management cares only about themselves, no training, no raises, everyone for themselves.
Stay far away from this hole.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Management are monkeys
Great workers, poor management, favortism!
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Dixmoor, ILSeptember 7, 2019
Great team of guys! Management narcissistic! Constantly standing over people, the pay is poor for the kind of work that they expect you to do! Turnover is high.. Oh.. Did I mention poor management?
Avoid at all costs
Painter (Former Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, ILAugust 11, 2019
If you are not buddy buddy with managers, kiss your job goodbye. Favortism is extrememly rampant at the corporate headquarters. The working conditions are pathetic, for a "union" shop, the place is a joke.
ESOP fraud, poor management, horrible conditions , stay clear of this place!!!
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Silvis, ILJuly 7, 2019
Horrible work conditions.
Asbestos, dust, smoke, chemicals, most who retire from here die of lung related illnesses.
Pathetic management.
Discrimination in pay scales.
Employee stock ownership plan is fraudulent, no gain in value over the last 4 years.
Beware of NRE in any location.
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Hazardous work environment
Poor Management horrible work environment , sham ESOP
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Silvis, ILJuly 7, 2019
Horrible work environment.
Asbestos, dust, chemical vapors, most who retire from here die from lung related illness.
Pathetic management.
Employee stock ownership plan has virtually no value after 4 years.
Discrimination in pay scales.
No benefits for 90-180 days from start.
Not OSHA compliant shop conditions.
Pros
Good co workers
Cons
Hazardous work environment
Lead Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILMarch 19, 2019
Down to business design approach, able to see the design work come to life in manufacturing. Ability to work independently and as a team to solve problems. Average degree of work pressure.

Very rewarding to see your designs come to life.
Pros
recognized for work accomplished, get to see work come to life.
Cons
Long hours as required to complete work at hand.
Very relaxed and laid back not to stressful
Skilled Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMarch 16, 2019
I thought this would be a great place to work and expand my knowledge of cnc operations turns out I was just a laborer with the boss having no intention of letting me learn anything other than laborious tasks I was fired they say because of absenteeism but it was really because there was not enough work on the 2nd shift I was working so I walked in and was handed papers stating that I was fired. Well I am better off now I can actually apply my knowledge and ability to learn fast and adapt to most situations good luck to any employees looking to start a career here. Will not happen unless you are a golden boy.
Pros
Relaxed not stressful
Cons
No pay and the inability to move up to learn different processes
Great place to work!
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, ILJanuary 17, 2019
Relaxed work environment and supervisors who care about their employees. Most of the workers truly care about their jobs and are fantastic people. They are hard workers who do their best to meet production goals and standards. I look forward to coming work every day.
Pros
Flexible dress code
Productive and Fun Workplace
Welder (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILOctober 11, 2018
When I worked there for about four months, we were pretty slow. We got work here and there, but not too much. The management is great, workplace environment is great, and the people were great as well. The only problem was was that there wasn't too much work, and made my work days pretty boring. We were expected to get a lot of work whenever I was hired there in June, and were expected to work overtime. That never happened for some reason, so that is why a couple of us got laid off.
Pros
nice people, great supervisor
Cons
not enough work for everyone
Give you the run around
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILSeptember 17, 2018
They hired me as a temp to cover for someone on maternity leave. They gave the girl a 3 month extension. All the time I’m working they’re telling me she’s probably not coming back, but I was applying for other jobs Incase she did. I got offered a job and my boss pulls me in the other room to tell me he tried everything he can to get me hired on that day but they won’t let him hire someone until the girl tells he company that she’s not coming back. He proceeds to tell me he doesn’t want me to take a job else where because he doesn’t want to have to train someone else or lose me. I will get the job if she doesn’t return. So I turned down two jobs. Even HR was getting things set up for me to take safety classes and what not just starting the hiring process. So the girl doesn’t return says she’s not coming back, I’m thrilled . I’m also getting married the next week . Which HR knew that up front and was okay with me having 3 days off . So I’m antsy ready to be hired .. then the next day I see my co worker and my boss interviewing people for my position! I confronted my boss saying I was under the impression I would get this job if she didn’t return . You told me not to take jobs cause I would be hire on? He said “ I just want to explore other candidates , I’ll give you and inter view too( which will be my third one with him) I respond” I’ve been doing this job for 4 months now “ he just looks at me and says “ well guess you’ll do good in the interview then “ turns out my “ interview” was them letting me go. And reminding me that I was only a temp. Funny the second my boss found  more... out I was getting married he changed his mind about my employment. They did me so wrong. I regret turning down those other jobs. The person they hired in my spot.. quit after 3 days. Now they are struggling to find someone.  less
Pros
Desk job
Cons
Poor management
I liked the work atmosphere and the freedom to learn.
Lead Electrical CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILJune 19, 2018
A typical day as an Electrical Drafter was pretty basic. I was in charge of converting Wire Run Lists from an Excel spreadsheet into working Wire Run Lists in AutoCAD Electrical. I often did CAD work for the Mechanical department as well.
Hard work amost of the time
Laborer/Helper (Former Employee) –  Silvis, ILJune 2, 2018
Hard work most of the time, dirty work, wet and humid conditions, somedays were easy day's the work environment at n.r.e wasn't great between the employees and sometimes management.
Pros
Rewarded for hard work, payand benifitswere good
Cons
Dirty work and wet humid conitions, employee moral wasnt always great
Used to be a good place to work
Fabrication welder (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILApril 28, 2018
Was once a good place to work when the original owner was still alive. Started going downhill when he passed and is still accelerating. I really wonder if it will ever be like it was
Pros
Good work
Cons
Bad management
Doesn't look bad at 20mph!
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Silvis, ILFebruary 7, 2018
Well if you like dirty and hard work, this is the place for you. No job advancement opportunities. Minimal pay for a lot of hard dirty work. Nothing is clean here. Tools are old and the ones that work, you provide.
Pros
Trains
Cons
Dirty
Very easy job and management is great
Parts runner (Former Employee) –  Silvis, ILOctober 26, 2017
Everything is good about this place besides the pay you don’t make that good of money a week and you don’t get benefits. Overall the people are very easy to get along with
I liked it
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Silvis, ILOctober 26, 2017
It's a dirty job. But if you don't mind getting dirty it's a great job. A lot of hard work. But at the end of the week it's all worth it. The supervisor is good to the emplyees.
very balanced
Torch operators/general laborer/welder (Former Employee) –  Silvis, ILSeptember 22, 2017
Balanced job and had good people working with me. There was times when it would get kinda slow but overall National railway is a good place to work. The union was a plus.
not a bad place to work if management who stick to their job.
sand blasting and painting tech (Former Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, ILSeptember 16, 2017
Was a great place to work, the hours was there, but changing of management brought a lot of things to a major change. You can learn a lot from tear down, engine shop, paint, blast, and rebuild. Depends what you could be good at.
Pros
money is there if you want the hours.
Cons
working with people who are to close to managers.
Nre
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYAugust 30, 2017
Laid off due to lack of work. Poor management at facility workee at.. unorganized. Decent pay when were busy.. would have been devent job if ran properly.
Great place to work.
Corporate Supply Chain Systems Manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILAugust 14, 2017
Provided with benefits that are good. Fast paced environment with high demands. Get to meet a lot of unique individuals. Afforded advancement opportunities, and some positions include travelling.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Railway Equipment Co. (NRE). Our community is ready to answer.

National Railway Equipment Co. (NRE) Reviews by Location