National Renewable Energy Laboratory Employee Reviews

Excellent work environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJanuary 3, 2019
After working many places, I found NREL to have the most professional and friendly work environment. Mature, smart, sensible people whom are dedicated to the mission of saving energy and promoting renewable energy. A down to business place, with lots of things getting done and the opportunity to work with world class scientist.
Pros
Can self-direct.
Cons
Have to find your own projects - no guarantees
Great Place To Work
Audio/Visual (A/V) Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJuly 10, 2018
Team building exercises, stress free, plenty of time to complete assigned tasks, great compensation, management is opened minded with suggestions, and the area is perfect.
Pros
Low Stress, Great Comensation, Team Atmosphere, Great Benefits
Cons
Advancement (But difficult becasue nobody wants to leave)
Nrel
Chemical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Golden, CONovember 30, 2018
NREL is a great place to work and is the best place to advance our country's renewable energy research and maintaining renewables competitiveness with fossil fuels.
Dedicated to mission
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Golden, COSeptember 26, 2018
Much training and enrichment. Staff focused on the mission. Some poor managers, and some turf battles. Good benefits. Needs a larger room for daily yoga class.
Productive and Fun Place to Work
Graduate Research Associate, Bioenergetics Group (Former Employee) –  Golden, COApril 12, 2018
NREL is a fun place to work with cool projects and cool people. Only downside is getting funding for your research is always an issue.

NREL has a great on-site cafeteria, great on-site fitness classes and several on-site gym's.
Government culture
Research Technician III (Current Employee) –  Golden, COMay 24, 2018
ACK! The government culture here is terrible! The hoops that have to be jumped through to do really much of anything is absurd AND every decision moves slower than glacial pace!
Summer Undergraduate Laboratory Intern
Summer undergraduate laboratory intern (Former Employee) –  Golden, COApril 18, 2018
I worked there for a summer as a laboratory intern in the Solar Energy Research Facility (SERF). The people were supportive, the facility is top notch, and the work was engaging.
great place for research
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Golden, COApril 21, 2018
overall its a good place to do research. I am proud of doing research here. just wish I have put more effort in research during the past 1.5 years. however, politics are inevitable.
Great intern job
Intern STEM education for NREL (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMarch 15, 2018
Loved every day with great people to work with. I was able to use my organization skills and work with the community. I enjoyed the great NREL campus and what I learned as an intern.
Pros
great pay, good people
Cons
hard to get to
Very relaxed atmosphere very clicky
Business Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMarch 24, 2018
Managers were not very supportive of administrative personnel and did not allow much room for advancement unless you changed career paths. Some departments were very clicky.
Working for the good of all
Support Specialist V (Former Employee) –  Golden, COAugust 23, 2018
Working for the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) was a lot of fun. And the fact that we were working for the better good of the world just made the job much more satisfying.
For those of you who don't know NREL is a subsidiary of the US Department of Energy that specializes in researching different renewable energy resources. NREL collaborates with different resources world wide to bring the latest and greatest technologies in renewable products - such as solar, wind, hydro, biofuels, etc - to everyday people.
Everyone in the company knew that they were there to assist in accomplishing something bigger than their day to day tasks. And the challenges that I personally faces working on the service desk was the computers that weren't on the network because they had to run older software due to the research software that it was compatible with.
But I always enjoyed learning about the different technologies that were being developed and being a support specialist I was not just answering the service desk phones I was tasked with special projects that allowed me to work with many different people around the laboratory and learn about the many different energy sources that we worked with.
Pros
Great Benefits, Educational Environment, Working for the good of others
Cons
Boys Club Mantality
Great experience for graduate students
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Golden, COFebruary 22, 2018
Gained experience using up-to-date characterization equipment with great guidance. Not enough money in renewables currently to support this large facility so access to equipment was plentiful.
Relaxed yet dynamic
Intern (Current Employee) –  Golden, CODecember 3, 2017
Provides the opportunity to be around different professionals from different backgrounds. It is a great placed to work with great benefits and opportunities to learn about cutting edge research in renewable energy.
It's fun working at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory
Intern - Energy Analyst (Current Employee) –  Golden, CONovember 17, 2017
It is fun to work at National Renewable Energy Laboratory, the work hours are flexible and the management is very friendly. The pay is really low and that's the only downside
Favoritism was rampant in my center
Specialist IV-Site Access (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJuly 1, 2017
Overall NREL was a great place to work (15 years);I worked in the badge office, SOLO; it was hard to get assistance(supplying coworkers to help out in processing all paperwork required for onboarding people) from management to support the influx of growth, this job was a bit challenging for one Individual, The most enjoyable park of my job was the diversity at NREL.
Cons
No assistance most of the time when needed!
Laboratory Operations is a dismal place to work
HR Associate (Current Employee) –  Golden, COAugust 30, 2017
The mission is fantastic the culture is not. If you work in science and technology there is a better outlook. Culture of management is to support from top down. Laboratory Operations Managers are concerned with pleasing their managers to the near exclusivity of supporting staff.
Great mission, doesn't quite make up for the toxic environment and political BS
Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  Golden, COJune 29, 2017
Good people are leaving due to leadership, bureaucratic nonsense perpetuated by the lab itself. Work-life balance seems to be going down with morale. So much potential, corrupted.
Pros
Awesome research and campus, telecommuting, health insurance
Cons
Management/leadership, unhealthy work dynamics
Great mission, poor management
EDUCATION COORDINATOR AND SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Golden, COSeptember 5, 2017
Just not a great place to work. The missions is really good but there is no cohesive vision and very little room for advancement. Experience is rewarded over new ideas. And experience can mean just years, not prior positions, etc.
Excellent people and exciting science
Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI) (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMarch 29, 2017
My internship lasted for four months, during which I did lab work and data analysis helping my team with their research. The hardest parts of the job were contributing helpful ideas to a team full of such intelligent people and occasionally realizing that what you have been working on just cannot work. However, that is part of research as a whole and I cannot imagine a more positive work environment to push the boundaries of science in.

The bureaucracy can be a bit thick sometimes, but it usually works out.
Pros
good people, many fun oppurtunities in area, casual work setting
Cons
bureaucracy and safety culture can feel a bit excessive
Great work environment, great people
Energy Regulatory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMay 30, 2017
I would research federal and state permitting processes for permits that were relevant to renewable energy development. I would create summaries and flowcharts of the processes that were meant to help developers navigate the regulatory processes relevant to starting a renewable energy project.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Renewable Energy Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight