National Safety Council Employee Reviews

Very good cultured offices to work.
Customer Service/Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILJune 11, 2018
Very good people to work with, management. Great benefits and very flexible to schedules when needed. A typical day of work was very busy usually. The hardest part of the job was not enough time sometime to finish a project in time.
Pros
Great culture, benefits and salary.
Cons
Continuously lay-offs and employee turn-over.
Don't work here, too much stress
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 30, 2018
The stress and drama starts tthe minute you walk in the for day and doesn't stop until everyone has gone home. The people who work there do not like change. So just beware of this if you decide to work there.
Member (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 20, 2018
Very Helpful and Informative. I heard about this organization through a teacher that taught a safety class, she recommended that we sign up for it and I did.
Not the best place to work
Registration & Housing Manager (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILMay 2, 2018
Unsupported work environment. Lots of politics while I was there. Not sure if there have been changes that have improved the culture. It has been quite some time since I worked at NSC.
Contracted Analyst
Contracted Survey Analyst (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILApril 10, 2018
My work at NSC was a survey analyst for safety perception surveys. The department was great and the boss was one of the best ones I've ever had. Great learning experience.
typical non-for-profit organization
Sr. Consultant (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILJanuary 18, 2018
workload very low. Organization not responsive to change in training materials. Material has not been reviewed in 12 years. Assessments template woefully poor. I developed my own. No corporate card available for international travel!!!
Pros
low stress "country folk" culture
Cons
too much idle time between assignments
Great Program
DDC Course Instructor / Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 3, 2018
NSC Has a great program to help re educate drivers about attitude and choices related to operating a motor vehicle. Great opportunity to enhance public speaking / education and training skills. The unwilling students can be a challenge and the redundant curriculam can sometimes wear thin but having the right attitude towards achieving the goals of NSC helps.
Fun Times
Faculty (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2017
Teaching the National Safety Council' curriculum was fun and challenging. The programs were well thought out and detailed. Teaching brought a sense of satisfaction to see the students master the skills.
Pros
Great Format
Cons
No Benefits
Great Place to work!
Acting Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 26, 2017
The NSC had a HUD contract to educate housing authorities and owners on the dangers of lead poisoning. We traveled to Virginia and North Carolina meeting with executives and educating them on what they need to do to keep residents safe from the cancerous make up of lead paint. Especially those structures built before 1978. It was very rewarding.
Mission Driven Organization with big goals
Business Publications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILSeptember 2, 2017
I really like the mission of NSC, but my particular department is understaffed and stressful. It's hard to enjoy my work when I feel dumped on all the time.
Pros
Good healthcare, larger than normal 403B contributions.
Managed Instructors for the local chapter and the state of Nebraska
Emergency Care Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 31, 2017
This was an awesome place to work for prior to the new CEO taking over in 2013. Upon her start date, the new CEO immediately started to downsize the company employee numbers. My position and the Director of OSHA's positions were two of the many that were eliminated.Pr
Pros
busy atmosphere
Cons
downsized the whole company
Well balanced organization
Safety Consultant/Sr Survey Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILAugust 6, 2017
Primary emphasis is on the employee and helping them achieve their goals. Company mission statement is direct and very well supported. Very positive environment to be in and people are genuine and easy to get along with. Management and senior management/board of directors are amazing and approachable - a first. Your efforts are appreciated and success is measured by how well you try, not by output.

A dedicated, compassionate person would do well in this environment.
Pros
A well-balanced work environment; many opportunities to help the cause.
Cons
Pay isn't as expected, but non-profit is different. Achievements are more rewarding than pay (my opinion).
Excellent workplace
Distribution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roselle, ILAugust 3, 2017
Enjoyable and lucrative experience. Managed well. Great staff. Competitive pay. Would recommend to others. Would have stayed but relocated. Enjoyed working with the hours provided and the people.
A place that really cares about its employees
Inside sales role presenting (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILJune 1, 2017
The safety culture is pretty amazing. Overall I have never experienced a more inviting atmosphere in a workplace than what you'll find at NSC..National Safety Council.

The Council puts on the largest safety show in the world, which in itself is a massive undertaking. A real meaningful opportunity.
Fun and rewarding
Alive@25 Instructor (Current Employee) –  Gray, MEApril 17, 2017
The National Safety Council is a great organization to work for. They are constantly finding new methods for their employees to use in promoting safety in the workplace, at home or on the countries highways.
I have the privilege of working with young adult drivers and sharing with them safe driving practices. It is very rewarding when you see the student that "get's it" and you know you have made a difference in that young persons life.
Unfortunately, there is sometimes that one individual that no matter what you say, just won't listen. That is the hard part of the job.
Pros
Rewarding when the student "gets it"
Cons
The student that won't listen
Fulfilling teamwork
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 3, 2017
NSC is a great place to work as long as you only want a Part time employment. The most enjoyable part of our jobs is knowing that we are working towards change.
good place to work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 2, 2017
The things I most enjoyed is that there is constant change in what you do day to day.The company is very into making sure that your surroundings that you are working i are safe for all employees which was nice.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
health care
no comment
Telephony Administrator (Former Employee) –  Itasca, ILMarch 22, 2017
Professionalism and Work Ethic will not allow me to comment on this Organization.Unfortunately, there is nothing to say about this or any Organization
Productive and fun place to work
Assistant Grant Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 11, 2016
I learned a lot from my first real-world job experience. I was thrilled to travel around the country teaching workshops on asthma and attending conferences. It was a perfect job for me as a single adult.
Slow burn...
project manager (Current Employee) –  Itasca, ILMarch 19, 2016
This place feels like a great environment but you will burn out - some earlier than others, but eventually it's hard to sustain the momentum and motivation when you have very little chance of advancing and constantly having to push creativity and new ideas to the back burner.
Pros
flexibility, decent benefits for nonprofit; chance to try new things (work a lot for others)
Cons
no advancement potential

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Safety Council. Our community is ready to answer.