National Security Agency Employee Reviews

Great Atmosphere
Access Control Specialist, Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDDecember 17, 2018
Provides a great, welcoming atmosphere for work. Very flexible hours and many opportunities for work. Facilities are decent, and benefits are also decent for employees.
Meaningful work, interesting people
Deputy Branch Chief (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDDecember 8, 2018
Working at NSA is REDACTED!

There is no shortage of interesting people, amazing work, and being able to see the difference you make on the world stage is a feeling that cannot be replicated anywhere else.
Pros
stable work
Cons
bureaucracy
Cryptographic Security Designer/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Ft. Meade, MDNovember 29, 2018
Great experience working at NSA for 40 years. Great opportunity for advancement and enjoyed working with a wide variety of personnel from all over the country.
Pros
Equal opportunity for advancement.
Cons
Interesting work but slow paced
INFORMATION SYSTEMS SECURITY ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  MarylandNovember 13, 2018
Projects were exciting and the work was interesting. Oversight and processes create a slow paced work environment that can drag things out and make them less fun. Great benefits and amazing work schedule. overall a great place to work
Pros
Benefits, work schedule, time off
Cons
Slow paced, too much oversight, projects take too long
Very Stable and Opportunites for Advancement
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDNovember 10, 2018
As mentioned above, it is a very nice agency to work for most of the time. If you are a self-starter, the only issues you will run into is management.
Its ok
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 7, 2018
It's okay working for them there are good people I do all my work but the only thing is that they don't feel good and they don't have enough hours to the hours.
See Below
Operations Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDOctober 18, 2018
My time at the NSA has been both enlightening and educational and I would recommend this company to others looking for challenging and satisfying work.
Military in the agency
Protocol Officer/ Photography Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Wahiawā, HIOctober 3, 2018
I worked as both a language analyst and a member of their protocol team for a total of four years of service. As a disclaimer I was a military person embedded in their organization so I'm not privy to their inner workings. That being said, it was overall a pleasant experience. The majority of people I worked with were professional, intelligent, and capable. You are given a great deal of autonomy most of the time and the field is greatly driven by collaboration with your coworkers. It provides a great sense of satisfaction when you accomplish a goal and can see the result of it. There isn't much I can talk about obviously but I'd have to say that if you are considering working in the agency that it is a great place to foster and develop a career.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Promotion, Career Building
Cons
Fierce Competition for Promotion, Tendencies to not fire but to promote and move incompetance
Great Place to work
Deputy Chief for Military Operations, Plans (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDOctober 1, 2018
Great place to work. It is here that you get to make a difference everyday. Great integration between civilian and military. You will not regret working there.
It's a government agency - what can I say?
Computer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDSeptember 21, 2018
Great place to work if you can deal with the politics and bureaucracy. The work is easy and relaxed. Low stress. But, you've got to play the games if you want to advance beyond a certain leve.
If you can get in, do it.
Requirements & Targeting Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 14, 2018
Very mission driven... very professional... very technically inclined. My personal experiences with supervisors have been amazing, very family focused and flexible working hours. Being in the government there is a lot of red tape, but if you can get pass that then you'll have no problem.
Nsa
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDSeptember 10, 2018
A typical day was supporting the Human Resources Team as a project assistant by assisting with onboarding process for government agency; finalized onboarding processing forms; created and maintained filing for human resources office.
Pros
Close to home, great team
Great entry level position
Contracting Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJuly 25, 2018
Working at NSA was great for entry level. It provided the necessary experience and expertise to kickstart a career. However, this agency isn't the best with retention the further you attempt to advance in your career. Highly recommend if 8 years or less in experience.
Secure, challenging, dedicated workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  TXJuly 11, 2018
Workforce is largely senior, technical personnel, or managers promoted from within those communities. Atmosphere is generally good, committed, dedicated, but can be intense. Work-life balance fluxes according to real-world events.
National Security Agency
Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJuly 10, 2018
Great working experience and learned a lot. Plenty of learning opportunities to pursue several other careers within the agency. The salary and promotions procedures needs help!
a changelling place to work
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJuly 1, 2018
I felt that NSA was a great place to work but there was no room for advancement. I was a very secure place and that was something that I like. I made many friends and the people in the catering department were a delight to work with
Pros
got a discount on your lunch
Cons
not enough time to eat your lunch (30 minutes)
Great Place to work
Head Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJune 25, 2018
I only l.eft for family reasons, other than that, I would have continued working there. Great people to work for, and great place to learn new skills.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no phones in workplace
Success is unpredictable
ELECTRONICS ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJune 13, 2018
The culture of NSA varies based on your work location. Staff assigned to work at offsite locations have a different culture then those working closer to the main HQ location
Pros
Federal government agency
Cons
payscale is typically less than DoD
Productive and rewarding
Manager/Collector/Language Analyst/Reporter (Former Employee) –  MDJune 10, 2018
I worked over 35 years at NSA and had a great career. When I started working, I was not looking for a career. Luckily for me, my managers saw potential in me and kept giving me more responsibilities. When I took my language class, that was the up-turn in my career; I did really well in my class. I was actually touted a "success story" among my managers and peers. Although I had about two years of college, when I started working, NSA offered classes that taught me all I needed to know in order to have a successful career. My management was very supportive and gave me responsibilities beyond what I had imagined. I was always very busy and enjoyed the variety of responsibilities that I had, even managing some above my grade level. Once the opportunity was presented to me to work OCONUS, I was thrilled and did not look back.I enjoyed a rewarding and productive career.
Pros
given opportunities to excel
Great job
Apprentice Windows Exploiter (Current Employee) –  TexasJune 9, 2018
Great work environment, great people, great mission. Fabulous place to work and to gain experience with fabulous benefits. Can't say enough about how great it is to work there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Security Agency. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

See reviews about

Ratings from women

1.8InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

1.7Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight