National Security Agency Employee Reviews

Government Job
Senior Computer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDMarch 14, 2019
My job at the National Security Agency was fulfilling and a true learning experience. It allowed me to obtain my masters degree and shaped me into the person I have become.
Pros
Working with people
balance
senior/Lead Network Technician (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 12, 2019
the job is nice and the work is worth it the coworkers for a cohesive unit and work together to get things done in a timely manner. they are also very diligent workers
Interesting, engaging, fast-paced work environment
Chinese Translator and Traffic Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDMarch 10, 2019
Flexible work-hour slots; many opportunites for on-the-job and special training. Management is bureaucratic. Workplace culture is friendly but also business-like. The hardest part of the job is obtaining the proper clearances; the most enjoyable part of the job is the interesting work.
Pros
Very interesting, fullfilling work
Cons
Bureaucratic heirarchy
Great Place for employment
Cryptographic Security Designer, Security Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ft. Meade NSGA, MDFebruary 21, 2019
NSA gave me the opportunity to learn and mentor from within. To be able to travel the world and talk to various organizations on how important it is to secure communication.
Pros
Great Opportunity for advancement
Cons
If you are not one of the favorites, you are not going to go anywhere.
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDFebruary 16, 2019
The org I worked in had their favorite employees. If you weren't someone who would treat them like they were the most important person in the world they didn't want you around. They did everything they could to get rid of you,
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Some managers are only out for themselves and do not care about their employees.
Management needs work
Signals Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 29, 2019
Overall good working environment other than terrible leadership. Loved the mission I was working and the work that i was doing to better the country but my leadership constantly held me back.
Pros
Good mission focus.
Cons
Terrible Leadership.
A great agency
Business Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Schofield Barracks, HIJanuary 29, 2019
Every agency has its issues but I truly miss the NSA. The people are what truly make it an excellent place to work. I have never worked with so many people that are so professional and exercise the utmost integrity always. I would have never left if I was not a military spouse.
Great Place
Information Assurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJanuary 11, 2019
This was a great place to intern. I enjoyed my time here and learned a great deal about programming and information assurance. I would recommend this position to others.
Great place to work overall.
Consultant, Site Safety and Health Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJanuary 6, 2019
This is a wounderful place to work with knowledgable people. When problems arise, there are people to help. Though the security can at times be a bit overwelming, the satisfaction associated with the job was quite gradifying.
Pros
Wounderful Co-workers
Cons
Time spent going through security
NSA Police: Poor Management, Lack of Real Police Duties
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Ft. Meade, MDDecember 18, 2018
NSA Police was a job with potential, but due to poor management, and a lack of real police work, I had to leave. Good ole' boy system. No real career.
Pros
the ability to leave after a 5 year commitment to go inside, ability to work overtime
Cons
denied leave due to manpower issues, forced overtime almost every day, management only cares about themselves and will deny leave, yet take their own, lack of advancement, lack of real police work, glorified security guards, corruption at its finest, told to work at McDonalds by manager if I didnt like the job
Great Atmosphere
Access Control Specialist, Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDDecember 17, 2018
Provides a great, welcoming atmosphere for work. Very flexible hours and many opportunities for work. Facilities are decent, and benefits are also decent for employees.
Meaningful work, interesting people
Deputy Branch Chief (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDDecember 8, 2018
Working at NSA is REDACTED!

There is no shortage of interesting people, amazing work, and being able to see the difference you make on the world stage is a feeling that cannot be replicated anywhere else.
Pros
stable work
Cons
bureaucracy
Cryptographic Security Designer/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Ft. Meade, MDNovember 29, 2018
Great experience working at NSA for 40 years. Great opportunity for advancement and enjoyed working with a wide variety of personnel from all over the country.
Pros
Equal opportunity for advancement.
Cons
Interesting work but slow paced
INFORMATION SYSTEMS SECURITY ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  MarylandNovember 13, 2018
Projects were exciting and the work was interesting. Oversight and processes create a slow paced work environment that can drag things out and make them less fun. Great benefits and amazing work schedule. overall a great place to work
Pros
Benefits, work schedule, time off
Cons
Slow paced, too much oversight, projects take too long
Very Stable and Opportunites for Advancement
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDNovember 10, 2018
As mentioned above, it is a very nice agency to work for most of the time. If you are a self-starter, the only issues you will run into is management.
Its ok
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 7, 2018
It's okay working for them there are good people I do all my work but the only thing is that they don't feel good and they don't have enough hours to the hours.
See Below
Operations Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDOctober 18, 2018
My time at the NSA has been both enlightening and educational and I would recommend this company to others looking for challenging and satisfying work.
Chaplain assistant
Strong Bonds Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Gordon, GAOctober 11, 2018
Worked as a counselor for the whole time there and various positions along with churches on the post and as a purchasing agent and put together several retreats
Military in the agency
Protocol Officer/ Photography Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Wahiawā, HIOctober 3, 2018
I worked as both a language analyst and a member of their protocol team for a total of four years of service. As a disclaimer I was a military person embedded in their organization so I'm not privy to their inner workings. That being said, it was overall a pleasant experience. The majority of people I worked with were professional, intelligent, and capable. You are given a great deal of autonomy most of the time and the field is greatly driven by collaboration with your coworkers. It provides a great sense of satisfaction when you accomplish a goal and can see the result of it. There isn't much I can talk about obviously but I'd have to say that if you are considering working in the agency that it is a great place to foster and develop a career.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Promotion, Career Building
Cons
Fierce Competition for Promotion, Tendencies to not fire but to promote and move incompetance
Great Place to work
Deputy Chief for Military Operations, Plans (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDOctober 1, 2018
Great place to work. It is here that you get to make a difference everyday. Great integration between civilian and military. You will not regret working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Security Agency. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Women's ratings

1.8Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss