National September 11 Memorial & Museum Employee Reviews

it was ok to work here
former host (Former Employee) –  museumMay 16, 2018
The managers were nice to me. I cannot complain. I did my job and went home. To work at the museum was a beautiful thing. To work outside though was unpleasant!
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
30 min lunch break, no higher opportunities for hosts, working outside
A travesty to the victims and their families.
Visitor Services Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2018
Where to begin, the managers and supervisors treat the employees like dirt beneath their feet. The safety of the the employees has been put at risk many times in the pursuit of making money. On October 31st, the day New York experienced a terrorist attack few blocks from the museum , the management failed miserably in following safety protocol. Originally an active shooter was reported outside one world trade center, and instead of immediately brining the outside host in, they waited about 8 minutes(so they could keep the kiosk open).
Another example was never mentioning when someone was identified from behind the wall in august (but you bet donation goals were disused instead )

Management plays favoritism and will often lie about a host job performance (forgetting there are cameras everywhere). The current insult now is that raises are being cut. If you are hired now, you will stay in the same position with the same pay for as long as you stay .
Pros
Fellow host are amazing & will back you up
Cons
Liars
honorable
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 27, 2018
This is a great organization to work for if you are full time. Great benefits are offered. some days can be overwhelming when there are a lot of visitors.
The most disrespectful, money hungry place ever.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2018
It’s such ashame that people come here to morn the innocent lives lost and to the management it’s just a business. They could care less. It’s a very sad and depressing place as is and the management just make it worse. They don’t care about anything but making money off the tourists that visit. If it’s freezing, blazing hot or even if there’s a terrorist attack or threat near by, best believe you will still be working. Even outside. Ironic how 9/11 is the reason for all these high levels of security- and yet working here you feel so unsafe. Security is no where to be found and if they are found they’re in their phones. Police are taking pictures with tourists. It’s just horrible. Save yourself from depression. Believe me.
Pros
Meeting different people
Cons
Short breaks and risking your life to answer stupid questions like what happened to the twin towers
Greedy ,inconsistent, neglectful work place culture. High Turnover for a reason.
Visitor Services Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 1, 2017
Typical work day: 6 hours of standing still,in a dark environment. One unpaid 30 minute break.

Management: The management is divided into two sections. Supervisors who are directly over the host, and Managers who are in charge of everyone. Many of them lack experience and humanity take charge of such a sensitive area. Three of the supervisors generally care about the museum and the mission. The rest of them, managers included are the worst. They only care about meeting donation goals at the expense of their employees and the guests . Fear and intimidation are a commonly used to motive these goals .Managers speak down to employees and write them up for asking simple questions.

Hardest part of the job: Abrasive,unapproachable bosses and favoritism. What would get one person in trouble, would get another person promoted.

most enjoyable party.: To say you worked for an important organization.

*High employee turnover is never a good sign, I witnessed it over the years but never thought it would be me*
Pros
Job experience
Cons
Abrasive, unapproachable work culture
Not a very good place to work
Visitor Services Department (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 31, 2017
The managers here are not very good, and the work environment is very toxic. When you are first hired you spend most of your time looking over your shoulder and on pins and needles because supervisors are always breathing down your neck and reporting you for the most minute things. Half the time they seem not to trust us how to do our own jobs. The Managers are constantly threatening your job and always reminding you that you are expendable especially if you are hired seasonally. The director of the Visitor Services department is unapproachable. You try to come to her with a valid concern, and she either ignores you, talks down to you, or just finds some other way to belittle you and makes it seem like you are the problem. Managment wants us to hound visitors for donations and only cares about the money at the end of the day, not the victims or the visitors. I suggest you look elsewhere because you will be miserable here It seems great at first, but you soon realize within a week of working here that more than half of the staff is miserable and for a reason.
Pros
some of the fellow VS Hosts are great
Cons
everyone from the directors to management to the supervisors
rewarding
Facilities Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 28, 2017
A wonderful work environment. Everyday is different. You get to meet people from all around the world. Its so wonderful to be apart of something so meaningful.
Left because its more about money then honoring those who passed away.
Vistor Service Host (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2017
*Writing this now because a friend of mine who just left told me of some changes that were made. The museum is going down hill fast.*

The officer managers would encourage you to ask questions, but would then write you up when you asked too many. Heaven forbid if you spoke to a volunteer, your co worker, or one of the cops, or you would be written up.

You are expected to do the work of security , maintenance, along with your job. You're confined to a small space for hours on end dealing with upset and rude tourist. You are " encouraged" to get guest to donate money . I left the job because I wouldn't harass a veteran at another Memorial for money , why would I do it a the September 11th memorial?

Unless someone quits or is fired, theres no chance or room for advancement, .I was there for abut 3 years and knew people who were there longer who never rose through the ranks.
Pros
Filler on the resume
Cons
Terrible job, prissy managers, depressing environment. careless employees
Changes
manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2017
The early times at the organization were very fast paced and motivating as there was a common goal shared. There was a recent change in leadership resulting in a shift in focus and goals.
Truly rewarding place to work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 17, 2017
The National September 11 Memorial & Museum is filled with dedicated staff who support the core mission of the organization. Getting to work at a Museum that does such a thoughtful job of telling the story of September 11th is an honor for all those who work here.
Pros
Incredibly meaningful place to work with dedicated staff

Want to know more about National September 11 Memorial & Museum?

Ask a question
no regrets leaving
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  180 greenwich st, new york ny 10007March 10, 2017
Current retail management is money hungry, I think they forgot why NYC built a memorial in the first place to honor those who perish on 9/11. Even if this place is a non profit organization, all they seem to care is about your money. Customer service is begging people to spend what they can't afford and beg for donations. Overall easy money. NO Advancement what so ever. Management has a tendency of hiring their own people. They rarely offer full-time positions, so don't expect benefits. Coworkers are awesome. You also have to work outdoors rain or shine, 10 degree weather, and no one will care if you got a frost bite.
Pros
one hour lunch, free guest tickets, good pay
Cons
work outdoors
Internal advancement almost impossible. Very ageist.
Host Services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2017
Although the people you will work with are terrific and dedicated, the management is terrible. Too many serious policy flaws are swept under the rug.
Pros
very supportive co-workers
Cons
Ageist, favoritism, essentially a sweat shop.
Great Entry Level
Admissions Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 1, 2017
Enjoyed working at the National September 11th Memorial and Museum. I learned how to work very well with a great team. The Admissions team at the museum is a strong, thoughtful, caring and proud of the work they do.
Don't believe the 5 star reviews
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2017
The turnover rate is the highest exponentially than all other departments for a reason. I do not know how certain managers got their positions. Expect to have your bathroom break clocked, two 15 minute breaks, unflexible scheduling, long hours standing in silence. It is basically a glorified security position.
Pros
Start at 14.50/hr
Cons
Even with the pay people quit at alarming rates
Productive and friendly enviornment
Cart Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 22, 2016
A great place to learn and grow within the company. A very friendly staff, very knowledgeable corporate team and a very helpful HR department.
Fun to talk to guest, very repetitive get bored easily
Visitor Services Host (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2016
Standing like a robot for 6 hours and only 15 mins breaks paid no more than that you get two 15 mins paid and get in trouble if you take longer sometimes feel like a 10min. Management just walk round a fews time to check on you to see if you're doing your job. Working outside it does get pretty cold
Pros
Pay, Schedule and co workers
Cons
Part-time, breaks and contract for only 13 weeks and might not get renewed
A museum filled with dedicated and passionate people.
Interpretive Guide (Current Employee) –  New York, New YorkNovember 7, 2014
Time is split between the Museum itself and the administrative office. Constantly researching to keep up with the still evolving 9/11 narrative while having a great team by your side to work with and support you. Managers are not the frightening kind, only the supportive kind who seem to be working as hard as those on the ground in trying to make the museum run smoothly to create the best experience.
Pros
Great team. Hard working and dedicated people.
Cons
Long commute on Metro North.
Rewarding experience
Family Reception/ Visitor services Host (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 18, 2013
I'm a Family Reception Host. I arrange visits with Victims families. I give tours of The 9/11 Memorial to Executives and Dignitaries. Working in such an emotional environment has conditioned me to work in fields that require patience and understanding. I also provide orientations to Youth groups that visit The 9/11 Memorial.
Pros
Working at such an important place.
Cons
Short hours, Low salary.
The WORST job I have EVER had
Sales Supervisor and Floor Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 13, 2013
It is SO disappointing that the values of this place are garbage considering what this institution is supposed to stand for! Management is terrible and no one has experience but they are promoted!!!!! I was laid off months ago because of budget cuts but the reality is I was MORE efficient at my job than my supervisors and they disliked me for it! STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM THIS PLACE! Whether you are an educator, a retail associate, even an intern....this institution cares NOTHING for their "team".

They had a financial BOOM a few years back annd salaries were awesome for what we were doing! Now that they are in financial RUIN the salaries are terrible!!!
Pros
Benefits are great!
Cons
Everything else
Great Work plac
Host (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2013
Great place to work with a fun loving group of people, it feels like an extension of family working with such great people.