National University Employee Reviews

Over worked and under paid
Assistant to the Dean (Former Employee) –  San Diego County, CAJanuary 29, 2019
As the title suggests, upper management want more and more but refuse to reward you for all your hard work.

For the most part, the people are wonderful and hard working.
excellent
Teacher graduate level (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJanuary 23, 2019
Students were motivated professionals working in classroom teaching positions. They were satisfying State of California Credentialing requirements. Curriculum guide was excellent. Assigned textbooks were well targeted. Creative presentations were encouraged. Grading scale was fairly applied.
Pros
attractive facility
Cons
drive time
Great work environment
Certified Core Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 16, 2019
Positive work environment, I have made some great friends and I look forward to advancing my career at some point. I would like to become permanent some day
Pros
Regular assignment
Cons
opportunity for advancement
Wonderful ESL program
English Language Arts Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 18, 2018
I worked in the ESL program, which I enjoyed very much. The staff and management were collaborative and supportive. I appreciated my manager and regretted when I left.
Pros
Supportive staff and management
Beware
Employee (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 5, 2018
Look somewhere else. If you are looking for free education you may want to consider this place. If you are looking for a career in higher education, keep looking - pass on this place.
Pros
Tuition benefit after working there for 6 months
Cons
No support, promotion based on who you know and who likes you
Best perk was free education
Center Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2018
Free undergraduate classes was the biggest perk but does not pay enough for a livable wage. Working 40+ hours a week for hardly $1 over minimum wage. No room for growth unless you already have your bachelors degree.
Pros
Free education
Cons
Low pay, No room for growth, Working every other weekend, Closing shifts
Educational self driven and presented
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 15, 2018
OK for a professor to obtain extra pay for teaching. Very sporadic and temporary, but pay is flat fee for classes taught.
Experienced professors only. If you need raining this is not for you.
Students are adult and often more like contemporaries than underlings . .That's great.
Pros
Short term, decent pay
Cons
No collegiality or belonging.
Productive and fun workplace
Credential Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 2, 2018
Interaction with individuals daily, assisted prospective and current students in obtaining their teaching/administrative credentials while remaining in compliance with the Commission on Teacher Credentialing, direct management was AMAZING. Hardest part of the job was assisting students that would not take no for an answer. Most enjoyable aspect of the job was helping students meet their career goals.
Decent
Counselor (Former Employee) –  CANovember 1, 2018
Normal working hours
Good benefits
Good educational perks
Customer service skills a must
Room for promotion
Decent job culture
Flexible hours
Holidays off
Excellent teacher training program.
Education Student (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 26, 2018
National University gives education students the tools they need to approach the daunting task of public education with some confidence that can translate to student learning.
Pros
Great program for aspiring educators.
Cons
High tuition costs.
National University
Education adjunct professor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 1, 2018
No leadership nor help with courses taught. Every professor was on their own. Their cared more for tittles than the product of their students. Did like their flexible hours.
Enlightening and Beneficial Career You didnt know you wanted
Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  MCRD San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2018
I started here straight out of high school in 2005, part time, and slowly learned about the benefits and educational avenues NU offered to enable their staff. Essentially, National University put me to school while offering me a career to grow within. Miss and love working for this amazing company.
Pros
Free undergradate classes for full time staff.
Productive and fun
Assistant, Credential Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CASeptember 14, 2018
I go the extra mile when helping others. For example, while serving as a Credential Analyst at National University, credential students made numerous requests to receive assistance to satisfy university and state standards. As a result, I was successful at assisting 100's of adult students become credentialed teachers.
Pros
Working with people
Cons
Pay could be better
For-profit practices in a "non-profit" school
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 31, 2018
I worked for National University for two years. I loved my coworkers at the local campus, I loved working with local students, and I loved what National University seemed to stand for when I first started working there. I hated the upper level management. From what I experienced, it is my opinion that they shifted from focusing on the good of the students and the local communities to focusing on the numbers of online admissions they could get. The pressure to get more students and more numbers became really high, while the pressure to provide quality service to enrolled students was minimal. They are a non-profit university in name only, because their internal practices are reminiscent of a for-profit school.
Pros
Steady schedule, useful training, potentially great coworkers
Cons
Sketchy upper management
adjunct
Adjunct (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 28, 2018
The supervisors worked with my schedule and were very helpful. The pay when you are sick comes out of your paycheck and makes missing for illness feel like a punishment and I wish they had a different policy.
No incentive to work harder.
Senior Web Developer (Former Employee) –  La Jolla, CAAugust 18, 2018
Management do not have enough knowledge on how to run IT department. They would rather hire third party vendors than trusting their IT employees. Resulting to losing a lot of money because IT ends up fixing their vendors' mess all the time.
Pros
Free lunch once a year
Cons
It is an educational institution but management lacking knowledge on how to run business.
Very friendly environment
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAAugust 8, 2018
People I worked with were genuinely nice. Mostly young grads that work there. A great stepping stone to get real world experience. The pay isn't great as they are non-profit, but they help pay for your grad degree if interested. Undergrad program is free for employees. Amazing benefits, match 401k.
Pros
free undergraduate program, discounted graduate program
Cons
low pay
productive and fun job
Student Finance Advisor 1 (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 7, 2018
fun place to work, would recommend, you will learn of a lot of customer service skills. As well as learn a lot about the how school loans work as well as how to apply for additional aid.
Very laid back, in certain areas
Records Evaluator (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 27, 2018
The office is very chill and laid back, but dead quiet. Everyone is at their separate desks with headphones in and they largely ignore one another. Despite being laid back in most other areas the dress code is still somewhat strict (on the business end of "business-casual"). They don't micromanage, and you are left alone to accomplish your work. No one will hassle you if you slack off a little bit, but they do check your productivity each week to make sure you are doing enough. Only real complaint is the pay is low.
Nu
Online Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 26, 2018
.Friendly place to work but unorganized.get to work, do your work and go home. Faculty have the final say. Its a full time job so you get to meet a lot of people.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National University. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss