National Veterinary Associates
Happiness rating is 49 out of 100

National Veterinary Associates Employee Reviews

They tell you what ever you want to hear to work there. But when working there a lot of empty promises. They have mountain of excuses. There is favoritism there which is sad. Some of the people there a super nice but they are not the ones running the show. You figure that out pretty quick.
Pros
Fair pay
Cons
Poorly manage
NVA does not live the culture they sell. Leadership is fake and lacks sincerity. Team culture façade is one of family and support, however team members are cliquey and deceitful.
Pros
A few team members were genuinely good people
Cons
Team culture is TOXIC
Not many opportunities for advancement under this corporate company. Very money driven and goal orientation is not attainable. Many small hospitals are run by cliques and only accept there preferred characters.
Our practice has been earning more revenue every quarter despite COVID-19 and despite having to close down for over a week. This is because NVA is putting pressure on our doctors to take higher case loads and more procedures. The doctors may have the time for it but us techs, who do the vast majority of the physical work, do not and we are exhausted. Each one of us is having to do the work of 2-3 techs by ourselves and we are 30-60 minutes behind on appointments every single day. We take every pet whether or not it truly has a problem until we have no room and have to send emergencies to other clinics. Our techs are depressed and frazzled, with most of us having at least weekly break downs. We are severely over worked since NVA took over and they don’t seem to care. They keep increasing our work load, try to get out of giving us holiday pay, won’t pay overtime. I love my coworkers but I could not think less of NVA and their management.
Cons
Under paid, won’t give raises, Over worked. Don’t get off work on time, Bad benefits, they just got rid of half our insurance options and left us with expensive options, Nothing will ever be good enough, Even when you keep breaking your record for daily revenue you will not be making enough
I have been in the vet med field for 17 years. I have finally found the place where I will retire. Upper management is fantastic, supportive, and available. On the hospital level everything runs smooth. I’ve read other reviews and apparently it depends on the hospital. Guess I got lucky. Staff have no drama and everyone acts like they are family. I gave a 3 on benefits because they don’t offer sick leave our pay out of PTO if you leave. Overall, I really enjoy going to work everyday. I couldn’t say that about my previous employment 9 months ago.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
No sick days separate from PTO
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
As others have said, the company is not bad to work for but your experience heavily depends on how each individual practice is run. NVA gives the practice more freedom than many veterinary corporations, which is good and bad. There isnt an overbearing sense of being "corporate" but there also isnt much support at all. Lots unfair practices and favoritism in the practice where I work. Understaffed and run ragged on the daily, with pressure to take on more than one can handle. No sense of checks and balances, which led to one person running everything with unchecked power. No way to address concerns about inappropriate treatment without retaliation. When needing support with these clinic-level issues, NVA seems to be nowhere to be found.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, individual practices have freedom
Cons
Management, favoritism and retaliation, stressful work
Work-life balanceThe client service center is all about clicks, they play favorites, Micromanagement. If a call center life is for you then I recommend because most likely that is where you will stay in this company. It is hard to grow and move up in the client service center.Pay & benefitshorrible pay. Once a year chance to get a raise, which you may or may not get. You do get a chance to get a bonus if you hit their qoutas for the month, only once a month.Job security and advancementThey act like they care about you, but when it comes down to they really show their true colors.ManagementVery picky with who they like and trust me if they do not like you, you will know.CultureYour co workers are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. But good luck with your supervisorsOverallmicromanagement, can not live off pay, very boring job since it went remote. If you like the call center life then this job is for you! If not keep looking!
Believe it or not, corporate seems to care about their employees. However, much of the time, the staff does not feel it unless in a manager role. Many Site managers and regional managers do not relay corporate communications to make the team feel as though they're cared about. Each NVA clinic is run at a practice level, and I love that. They don't step in and say much about how a manager and medical director run a practice unless the clinic is not making money. Nva has clinic s all over the world and is continuing to acquire clinics. So, transferring can be really easy; however, since they are acquiring a good portion of clinics in the US, if you leave a clinic on bad terms finding clinics that are not NVA is becoming more difficult. Ultimately, NVA can be a great company to work for, but it comes down to how each individual practice is run. At a site level, the staff does not see much of corporate and typically barely notice they are corporate unless you are part of the leadership team like Managers or MDVM's. NVA promotes from within frequently. I have found this to be both good and bad. The obvious upside, you're getting promoted, and that's always good, but with a promotion should come a pay increase to reflect ALl of the new tasks and the people you are now responsible for, right? I have found they promote from within to keep the salary of the site managers at a minimum; CSR's are great; they typically have the lowest pay in the clinic, so a 2$ an hour raise put into salary form 33,000 a year seems pretty great. Still, the amount of responsibility a PM has is enormous, - more...
Pros
Travel, CE's, professional and personal growth opportunities, Promotes from within, Has clinics all over so transfer is easy.
Cons
Pay and raises, no chance of travel or professional or personal growth at a staff level, NVA has and is continuing to acquiring much of the vet market so if you leave a clinic on bad terms, regardless of the reason, finding clinics that are not NVA is hard. Leadership acts like a sorority and plays favorites.
Overall, I enjoyed working for NVA for the time I was there which was from 4/18 to 9/19. I was hired as a temp initially but then got hired permanently for part-time. The training was fun and I enjoyed working with my management. However, my rating reflects the summer of 2019. I had been going through some mental challenges and working with my doctor for the right medication. Management was aware of it and were very supportive of me at first even giving me a week off to gather my thoughts. Now mind you, I'm not giving excuses as I was going through a rough part of my life mentally and probably should have taken more time off. I made a bad choice by drinking one day before coming to work. I didn't feel right about it so I immediately informed my supervisor. I volunteered to do a drug test and even made sure the clinic did a alcohol test. I of course was not allowed back to work until the results were reviewed. I waited almost 2 weeks for them to give me a phone call, not even the courtesy of bringing me in, that I was being terminated. All the understanding, compassion, support out the window even when I was honest about what I did. I never got my results from test either. Shame on the staff who made this decision.
Pros
Coworkers, flexibility
Cons
Lack of empathy
I have been with the company for a dozen years - minus an 18m break-up due to hospital specific issues. Haven't had problems with upper management. The benefits available though a corporate practice are likely to be unmatched by a private practice. Work-life balance is about the same as it is for any practice. Your overall happiness depends on your local team. I am fortunate enough to have a great crew currently, although that hasn't always been the case - which is par for the course in this profession.
Pros
Benefits, pay, support
Cons
Conference calls, distant corporate office
Went from a family and care forward place to a money generating sweat shop. Under-staffed, overworked, and no thought to individual needs. Too many patients. Care suffers. Prepare to come in early and stay late most days.
Pros
You can transfer to another location. Should you make that bad choice..
Cons
Most things
NVA is known for keeping temps long term without hiring them on and favoring certain team members with outside friendships. They pick and choose who has to follow the rules and who doesn’t. They owed me a raise for 10 months and then pulled some bs about a drug test which no one else on my team was ever given, also saying I’d have to go home unpaid until the results were back in a week. They also denied my unemployment saying I quit my job which was false.
I use to love waking up and coming to work to support the animals that are in need of help. Once the company took over and hired Doctors who belittled the staff and Doctors who act like they are better than everyone else it became clear that the Doctor doesn't care what so ever about the patients and just is out for the money. Mangement clearly can't run the office, they ran out people who cared.
This hospital used to have some of THE best management I have ever had the pleasure of working with in the 15 years Ive been in the veterinary field. Now, NVA has pushed out the people who built this place, and brought in people who are rude, inconsiderate, and know-it-alls. The environment is beyond TOXIC!
The Management was great here, until they were pushed out. Now too many changes in a short amount of time. The corporate part is not what they say they are. They hire rude, uptight people.
If you like gossip - this is your place! New employees are run off by current, with management hiding in their office. You WILL be hazed. You WILL be bullied.
Inexperienced management. Does not care about employees. Toxic corporate environment. No matching 401k but occasional free lunches. Outdated systems. High turnover rate.
I love what I do, a sense of fulfillment. Everyone is very encouraging and helpful in setting me up to succeed. Glad I accepted the job offer. The challenges is understanding the many layers of the job roll. The reassurance is time at the job. Everyone is very up beat and enjoyable to be around . Grate Atmosphere. Our practice manager is terrific with our personal needs as well as needs of the job. Good choice in career.
Management doesn’t do squat. Money hungry, yet constantly trying to give doctors services away for free to keep clients happy- makes it impossible to meet production. Toxic staff. No support. Does not care about employees, but the customer is always right. No concern for health and safety. No mentorship. Benefits are OK but expensive. High staff turnover is a reflection of how poorly the organisation is run.
Pros
Benefits OK
Cons
Everything else
Need more structure. Great team, benefits and a lot of room for advancement. Many opportunities to be a part of something bigger. Lots of change and rapid growth.
It’s fine nothing to write home about reporting is terrible Manager doesn’t do anything, and multiple regional shifts make developing future difficult