National Veterinary Associates

National Veterinary Associates Employee Reviews

Good Company
Need more structure. Great team, benefits and a lot of room for advancement. Many opportunities to be a part of something bigger. Lots of change and rapid growth.
Unhappy Veterinarian
Management doesn’t do squat. Money hungry, yet constantly trying to give doctors services away for free to keep clients happy- makes it impossible to meet production. Toxic staff. No support. Does not care about employees, but the customer is always right. No concern for health and safety. No mentorship. Benefits are OK but expensive. High staff turnover is a reflection of how poorly the organisation is run.
Pros
Benefits OK
Cons
Everything else
It’s fine
It’s fine nothing to write home about reporting is terrible
Manager doesn’t do anything, and multiple regional shifts make developing future difficult
Great Clients
This is a corporate practice, but they allow the flexibility of the old culture to continue in to the new. It doesn't feel as though it is corporately owned even though it is.
AP Department is a nightmare
AP Department under the new management is a nightmare. The AP Director and Supervisor are clueless, vindictive, and horrible people. They have ruined a once great place to work.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
The overall company is marvelous, but working conditions vary by hospital.
NVA truly does care about both its mission and its people. It's not just hype -- they put money behind what they say. Management is there to support the individual hospitals to provide the best possible care for pets and the people who love them.
Relief Veterinarian for NVA
As a relief veterinarian, I worked multiple clinics. While different clinics have different "cultures", I found most to be great places to work at and would be happy to work them again.
Growing Company
Continues to grow as a company and will promote within
Long hours as company growth is behind hiring

Great diversity in occupations and cultures

Corporate atmosphere
Horrible
NVA's A/P department is a disaster. Toxic work place culture, never a word of praise, constant berating, never doing enough. In the 18 months I worked there I never received a review or pay increase and in the past 3 months, 7 people quit, management that knew the processes were fired and what remains are incompetent buffoons.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Too many to mention...
Profits more than People
NVA used to be a great company. Than they let their sales team take over and put increasing revenue as the biggest goal. I love animals and I think most hospitals are great, but the corporate office is running into the ground.

Many departments have truly awful managers, but there is no strong leadership to want to change things, so they stay in place. I'm talking people who really, really should not be in charge.

Most teams are over-worked but they won't hire more people because it cuts into their profit.

Personally, this place has put my career and earnings in a stagnant position, I should have left years ago.
Great culture and a wonderful place to work
NVA is an owner and operator of several nationwide hospitals and backed by a private equity firm. I really enjoyed my experience here, as I was placed on several impactful projects that helped me further my skills professionally.
Felt like being in high school
It's not what you know but who you know. You are not judged fairly on merit and good work but by which click you belong too. I worked there for several years and did not learn anything new.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No breaks
Fun work culture & availability for advancement
The days were always different which made the day go by quickly. Great environment and would recommend other people to work there too. Was sad to leave.
I’m not sure if my experience was typical..
The company as a whole seemed great. I would hope that my experience was poor due to the specific location I was hired for. I was given a sinking ship and was tasked to rebuild Rome in a day. The reason was to provide the quality pet care that NVA stands for, however the support wasn’t there. I was hired with ample administrative experience and was under the impression that a competent manager was in place to run the Kennel. Unfortunately, this was not the case. I recommended terminating this individual early on but it didn’t happen until months later after more unsatisfactory results. I was given 3.5 weeks after her dismissal to make “huge strides” and it just wasn’t feasible with the staff and resources available. Over all my employment lasted less than 5 months. I was disappointed in senior leadership’s lack of faith and I wish I had been given an appropriate amount of time to make an impact.
Beware The Corporate Beast
NVA has an amazing mission, but the people they hire to lead do not hold those tenets to their performance. Laystaff and hospital managers are grossly underpaid. They refuse to match retirement, so there is no reason to work here because there is no retirement. (however, DVMs get whatever they want, since they think DVMs drive the revenue) Their leadership comes from other businesses, not veterinary medicine. So their concern is with the bottom line and not with medical care. Managers asking for money in their budgets to pay their staff a living wage see those budgets cut without any warning or explanation. The leadership of this company has no idea what happens in a veterinary hospital every day and they continue to recruit MBA holders who have no experience in the field. That tells me that they don't care about the individual hospitals, they care about profit. Each hospital is responsible for their own culture, thank god, or we would be at each other's throats. Do better. NVA.
Pros
hospital staff is amazing
Cons
corporate attitudes, no compassion for people, no retirement, your boss has no idea what you do every day
Call center fairy typical, management a mess
Management did not know what to do but nitpicked you on your performance without evidence. Policies change daily, sometimes hourly so you never knew what information to give to the customer.Manager would discuss confidential information to other employees.

Department complained about being over budget, but spent large amounts on catering and office decor weekly.

human resources department was only 2 people for over 500 employees. Private information was not kept private. Refused to approve reasonable accommodations for disabilities, even with doctor's orders.
Pros
Beautiful campus grounds
Cons
Poor pay, incompetent and disorganized management, policies change constantly, inconsistency, no job advancement possibilities
Great Job
I love NVA--fantastic place to work! I only had to leave due to a relocation. Thje managers are great to work for and I love my job. The culture is great and most office days are relaxed.
Good place
Good place and fast environment. Company changing to corporate style and is fun and hectic to go through. The company is growing super fast and makes the chance for growth reachable.
Horrible management
This place is a chaotic mess. Management will put insurmountable pressure on you even when you have over 50 tickets in your queue. You also have level 1 techs, constantly sending you incidents, you have to answer calls as well, you have to know everything that is in your queue and make sure you don't breach the SLA and you will have 4 different people sending you emails or coming to you to tell you about your tickets. If you like unreachable goals and constant pressure on you then take this job at your own risk.
Pros
Free snacks and beverages, nice upscale location
Cons
Management, management, management
Great place to grow with
I was hired on with NVA right after the first year of its origination. I was promoted up to the Executive Assistant/Office Manager within the first year of my working there in the Accounts Payable department after proving my dedication and hard work when I filled in for the Accounts Payable Supervisor while she was absent on maternity leave all while covering my desk as well. I was the Executive Assistant to the CEO, CFO and CDO and also managed the office. I also managed the corporate office move to Westlake Village from Santa Monica which included the Santa Monica office sublet and eventual move out and storage of sublet tenants office furniture and equipment when they folded and abandonded their business.

The company was growing very quickly, had a number of doctors and professionals that were traveling constantly while acquiring new veterinary hospitals nationwide. Board Members flew in from several locations for quarterly board meetings which were held in the corporate offices. I handled all travel arrangements and amenities for the visiting board members as I handled all the travel for the CEO.

I eventually became the Accounts Payable Supervisor in my last year there.
NVA does not care
NVA does not care about its workers. We workers are the bones to the body of NVA so they should treat their workers better, but they don't. I'd like to see the CEO and other high level employees work the positions we work and see how difficult it is. Then hopefully they'd pay fair wages and give better benefits. Manager is bad, but NVA doesn't care and has not fixed the issue even when multiple doctors, co-workers, and CLIENTS have complained. NVA just doesn't care as long as they are making money.
Cons
Benefits, pay, manager
Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Veterinary Associates. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7