National Vision, Inc. Employee Reviews

National Vision
Staff mark Employee (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 16, 2019
My experience as a worker was diligent for the time being. Everything was so easily done as well prepared. Impacting the assignment was the most remarkable part of the experience.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Professional Job
RETAIL ASSOCIATE | America's Best (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 10, 2019
very fast-paced, need to make sure you get the job done. Patients come first. There is no slacking allowed associates must be ready to achieve corporates goals every day.
Pros
don't work sundays
Cons
not enough hours or raises
High paced
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Keizer, ORJanuary 7, 2019
Too much responsibility and little pay. High paced and not enough staff. Management is great. Customers are mean and get upset over things we can't control
Pros
A free pair of eyeglasses
Cons
Not enough pay
Awful company - Great for Customers - not employees
Optician (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJanuary 4, 2019
Unless you're a doctor, you're going to get screwed working for this company. They fill you with false promises of their Optician program that you can be qualified in only 6 months and will receive a big raise. All of that is false - the program takes over 6 months just to sign up for and takes up to a year and a half to complete. All for you to get the bare minimum raise, not what they promise. Stay away and don't waste your time.
Pros
Glasses discount
Cons
Management, pay, benefits
Great Company, Poor management
OPTICIAN (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXDecember 27, 2018
I think National Vision is a great a company to work for but the management team is horrible. If they was to work with their managers it will be perfect.
n/a
stocking (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNDecember 20, 2018
I truly did not have an incredible time working at this place. I was not hoping to go to work ordinary with so much pressure and tension to manage I was coming up short on this place. On the off chance that it was under various administration this place would really be a phenomenal work environment with extraordinary advantages.
Avoid if possible.
Mounting (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GADecember 12, 2018
In the past few years, I've seen the Mounting crew change almost completely 3-4 times. Every year follows a pattern. The first 3 months are busy and many people quit, and rest of the year is steady-to-slow and many people are hired (many of whom will also quit). You will not be trained by management at all. Rather, they will throw you on some poor employee who will be punished when you drag them down with questions. Then, you will be punished for not having been trained properly. Additionally, with the new production manager, you can and WILL be fired with little notice for not achieving target goals (of which maybe 5 people on the crew consistently hit.

The work environment was at one time relatively peaceful. Your fellow mounters tend to be alright people willing to help and fun to chat with. Recently, however, management has made many attempts to cut out any socializing leading to a miserable day of listening to nothing but machines run while you feverishly check the clock to leave.

The managing staff here is by far the worst I have ever experienced. Many are completely full of themselves and refuse to take any advice from anyone lower than themselves. Often, you will find them standing in groups of 2-5 watching the crew where they will congregate for surprising amounts of time. Don't be surprised when these "meetings" end with some announcement being made of their disappointment in the crews performance.

As for mounting itself, it's not a bad job if you like working with your hands and don't have an issue working with small parts. Your hands will hurt in the beginning,
  more... but it gets better with time.Typically coworkers are friendly and willing to help, and you WILL need help in the beginning. You will watch many good people come and go if you manage to stay there over a year. Additionally, overtime will often be thrown on you only 2 hours before you are set to leave. You are advised by management to not make any plans and just assume the possibility of overtime. This only affects associates, management can come and go as they please.

Hours are a bit strange. You will lose many hours in the last part of the year. They say that it evens out with the amount of overtime worked in the beginning of the year, but with the newly added 2nd night crew it is debatable. Expect Christmas to be rough on your empty wallet and pity the poor souls who are quietly fired only weeks before the holiday.

All in all, I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Multiple vending machines
Cons
Management, Pay, Respect for your time, etc
Productive and great coworkers
Lab Technician 1 (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 6, 2018
This is actually a great place to work at if you're starting out! Although the pay is kinda low, you do get raises every 6 months. Management is usually good on getting back to you, they just need a reminder every now and then. The company is typically loud but the environment is good and the coworkers are awesome! The thing that sucks is sometimes we have mandatory overtime and sometimes we work Saturdays during peak season, depending on your shift.
Pros
Good coworkers, major holidays off, benefits, weekends off
Cons
Pay, work Saturdays during peak, sometimes overtime
Worst week of my life - Bloomington In
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INDecember 2, 2018
Coworkers were great but management was rude and not willing to train new employees. I worked there less than a week and was expected to keep myself busy without knowing the store processes and work flow. The store manager was increasingly unpleasant and the work environment was very tense and stressful due to her management.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay, poor management
great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VANovember 30, 2018
was a decent job were this is connnected to a walmart, not as hectic as the walmart itself but still saw a far bit amount of traffic. the company is fairly good to its employee but not long term.
Long Hours
General Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLNovember 27, 2018
Management is required to work minimum of fifty hours a week. Very diffivult to balance work life and family. Also, managers are basically in charge of another company inside a company and has to manage the productivity of a doctors office, as well as, the optical business.
Beware of wolves in sheep clothing
Lenses tech (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GaNovember 9, 2018
I "DO Recommend working here as you will not get many hours but then l was warned by other workers who been there for a year that from January to May you have to work 58 hours week from 5am to 3:30 pm M-F and Saterday 6am to 2pm. was hired to work a 40 hr. week but l bearly got to do that they blame you for any type of breakage even if you got it off the line like that . No, good training and they routinely send ppl home within 2 to three hours of starting shift. So you never get your "promised" 40 hours per week its more like 20 hours if your are lucky how can anyone your bills like that?? The job is extremely difficult and hard on your hands and shoulders it will hurt for a month your fingers will be numb simply put its not worth it look elsewhere for a better company. Because they are horrible.
Pros
Cons
Too many to name, but they do not keep their promises, they are racist liars
Productive and Serving Company
EYEGLASS MANAGER, (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CANovember 8, 2018
The most memorable part of this company was that they are eager to help those in need with their optical needs. It was a company that gave me the tools necessary to expand my knowledge of growing a team, working together, and building a business to our local community.
Pros
The Managment experience
Cons
none.
General Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 8, 2018
false promises constantly. Very misleading in the interview. Very quick to point blame. false promises constantly. A typical day at work consists of not allowing patients to return.
Not a lot of training or compensation for a fast-paced, detailed job
Optometric Technician (Current Employee) –  Laguna Niguel, CANovember 7, 2018
I was hired as an assistant to the optometrist partnered with National Vision inside a Walmart location. I was given four days of training for a job that I was completely new to and then worked for the next 8 days straight (office was open seven days a week) because the office was short staffed. That pretty much set the tone for my two years at National Vision.
There has been some management changes and so the company has started to change, but I still don't recommend working here right now.
Pros
Employee discount (50% glasses or contacts), free eye exams, 50% coupons for friends and family, health insurance for full-time work, friendly atmosphere
Cons
Not enough training, inefficient computer systems, company is slow to give feedback, steep learning curve if you've never been involved in optics before
Great place to work.
Lab Technician 2 (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 7, 2018
It's a great company to work for. Got great benefits and discounts on vision deals but it's hard to get day shift position which is why I'm leaving. Thank you
Pros
Great company, good benefits
Cons
Shift days and timing
Na
Optician (Former Employee) –  Fort Stewart, GAOctober 28, 2018
There was no room for advancement. Unless you were management (the store manager was the only manager), you could not be a full time employee The work culture in this particular location was not professional
Not for me
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 28, 2018
I really did not have a great time working at this place. I was not expecting to go to work everyday with so much stress and anxiety to deal with I was running out of this place. If it was under different management this place would actually be a fantastic place to work with great benefits.
Overworked and under paid
Optician (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 27, 2018
With the company for three years. I always went above and beyond helping other staff when management was unavailable. Couldn't get a raise over 30cent.
Pros
1hour breaks
Cons
Long hours, under paid
Great place for young people to have a hard working experiance
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDOctober 23, 2018
Days change rapidly. There is no "12 patient's on the books so it will be like this" ,it could go smoothly or everything is chaotic. You never know. I think the hardest job is being the receptionist. You are the face of the company and everything goes through you first.
Pros
Free glasses once a year
Cons
Rules change every year

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Vision, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight