National Vision, Inc. Employee Reviews

National Vision
Bench Technician (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 15, 2018
-Typical day: reach target,end day
-Management are easy going
-workplace culture easily adaptable.
-Hardest part of work none
-enjoyed working alone
Pros
Great, alone time work space
Cons
over competing with next person on assembly line
it was a paycheck
Laboratory Technician, QA (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 13, 2018
They grind employees then spit out their bones. Dead end job in the lab. Disregard recommendations from employees with decades in the field. Disregard doctors orders for injured employees.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAAugust 6, 2018
Great place to work with an awesome culture. Growing company with plenty of room for advancement. Management cares about its associates. You have the ability to find your niche and do your best work.
More focused on sales than service
Doctor's Technician (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COAugust 1, 2018
I enjoyed working with the patients and doctors at NVI. Working with management was difficult, though. There was a lot of pressure and even some scare tactics used to sell higher priced items or procedures that weren't medically necessary. I was required to do a lot of telemarketing to inform patients of sales and promotions, not just appointment reminders.
Pros
Not minimum wage, low turnover
Cons
Poor management
Productive, very fast past, high turn over in workers
Optical Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJuly 30, 2018
Very Fast Past
How to make work with foreign co-workers
Management needed continuous education in several areas
Multi language culture
Pay not equal to job demand and economy
Working with foreign co-workers
Pros
Multi language workers and Athletic equipment on site
Cons
Pay not equal with job demand and economy
Great place to learn and grow with the right management
Unlicensed Optician (Current Employee) –  Cumming, GAJuly 30, 2018
I have been with this company for a couple of years. I love my job as an optician, i work with great people, and have learned a great deal of my selling experience here. However, the management is very disorganized with a foul attitude, which makes working for this company less than ideal. Unfortunately, due to the unprofessional environment, that makes for lots of angry customers/ patients with lots of emotional fires to put out.
Pros
Discounts on eyeglasses, ability to learn all aspects of an optical office.
Cons
No ability to implement needed changes in store, no saturdays off unless it's requested off
Couldn’t believe it
Contact Lens Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2018
Overall I went into a new field excited to learn something new and important and at first things we’re great then it was one manager who played a lot and was very Sarcastic so after me speaking upon it the job became a nightmare with little pay so it’s time to move on
Management is horrible
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Southern ArizonaJuly 27, 2018
This is a hostile work environment. If you do not mind feeling like a number, being bullied or having your name smeared then this is the job for you!
Pros
its a job
Cons
Management, bullying and pay
A day in the life of an Optician
Licensed Dispensing Opician Eyewear Consultant (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 25, 2018
The Position of Licensed Dispensing Optician is to analyze prescriptions and make recommendations that provide the highest quality vision care to patients. The Licensed Optician fits, measures and adjusts eyeglasses to exceed the patients needs and expectations. Additionally, opticians problem solve any difficulty Rx issues as well as provide a patient with expert assistance to make the patient’s vision care experience friendly and informative.
With the manager and Optician can adjust the patient's glasses to meet their needs rather it be by discounting product to make it affordable, providing the patient with constructive criticism and giving honest opinions on the look of their eyeglass selection and by empowering the optician to do the job that is necessary to make the customer happy by doing what is necessary to meet their needs and selection.
I have learned that patient's do not like to hear the words "I do not Know" and no follow through. They do however like to hear " I do not know, but I will find out" Guarding your words and making them in the best interest of the patient is important for customer service and repeat business, and most important referral business.
The workplace is like your home away from home. we spend 8 hours at work, 8 hours for rest and slumber and the other 8 for family and other vocations. This making the store employees your second family and the store your second home. Peace and harmony should prevail within the workplace just as it does throughout the otherv16 hours of your day.
The hardest part of my job is going home
  more... and leaving something undone or unfinished. Not being able to make that patient happy with their purchase due to the adjustment or their buyer's remorse. It is hard when you cannot get that one detail a patient is looking for right and they just accept it the way it is. Not making that adjustment 100% satisfying make the day hard as well as making the patient see properly through their glasses. 8 out of 10 time the adjustment can fix the patients Rx and make the glasses Rx correct just by properly fitting them. Though these are hard this is part of the job of making the patient happy which is important to repeat and referral business. Hard is on what you make it and most of the time it is mostly easy.
The most enjoyable part of the job is making that patient see everything "clearly" for the first time and watching their facial expression and eye emotions light up with happiness, excitement and satisfaction that we as a team made this happen by doing want we do and that is "making the best quality glasses" which allow everyone to see the worlds beauty through those lenses or for that special someone to look at their partner and see that we help them select the glasses that allowed their love in their life to look great while enjoying all that beauty. Also great to see that young boy or girl put their first pair of glasses on and really see for the first time. The excitement that fills within them and give you the opportunity to experience that moment of childhood for yourself even if it is jus for the moment.
Over all... I have done this for over 20+ years and still love to do what I do every day. Whether working in the lab manufacturing the eyewear or being on the sales floor as and LDO Sales Consultant. Making people see is what I love about my job and it is exciting and delightful to see all the new advancements companies are coming up with to make these things happen.
Pros
Happy Satisfied Patients
Cons
Unhappy Disatisfied Patients
fun place yet very educational
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MAJuly 24, 2018
I was introduced to the Optics World which I still to this day know a lot of. Opportunity to go to school and grow within the company was a great option for me.

Want to know more about National Vision, Inc.?

Ask a question
National Vision
Manager, Retail Talent Sourcing (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAJuly 24, 2018
National Vision, Inc. has many opportunities across the United States. The company offers upward mobility but doesn't offer tuition reimbursement like most large organizations.
Pros
fun events
Cons
pay
Great Place to work!!
Optometric Technician and Optician (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAJuly 22, 2018
If you like working in customer service this is the perfect place for you. You get to help style people with frames that look best on them. The doctors with the company are all very nice and a joy to work for.
With good management in place it is a great company to work for.
General Manager / LDO (Former Employee) –  Washington StateJuly 11, 2018
NVI is a great building block. They will train people and you can grow from there. They also off management training and leadership training for the right person.
Pros
40 hours, recognition, team building
Cons
Open 7 days a week, short handed a lot so hard to take earned vacation time.
Very busy. Productive, lots of community outreach , long hours,
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJuly 10, 2018
Started at NVA right out of school was hired while doing my internship ! Mgr. Liked my work ethic & style. Great place to get experience. Started off part time and was quickly moved to full time quickly ! Then got promoted to 2nd asst. Mgr. Eventually to 1st asst. then was offered my own store to become Mgr. . At the time management was very supportive from store mgr to District mgr .
Pros
Gained lots of experience, learning materials available. Product info
Cons
Low pay, at times unrealistic goals set. Open 7days a week
Great Company
Assistant Store Manager/Licensed Optician (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 22, 2018
I'm an AEGM at an America's best. I've worked for enough optical places to list on both hands, this is the home I was looking for. Everywhere I've worked I've been treated poorly by management until I came here.. I stumbled on this place. Anywhere you work though, you have to compromise, these people are as much my family as my actual family. We spend more of our time at work than at home. There's some days I hate them and some days I love them.

My biggest concern is my patient, another problem I had at every other company was the unreasonable sales goals. This is a growing industry, why push people to buy things they don't need? You will ultimately push them away. At AmBest I can sell my patient 2/69 because it fits their budget and I don't have someone breathing down my neck to up sell them. I'm an extremely good sales person, because I'm honest... believe it or not that's the key. Our goal is to make our patients feel comfortable. We joke with our patients. We help them chose their frames. We explain their prescription so they can make an informed decision. How would you want your mother or grandad treated?

This is a high volume/fast paced environment though so if you're lazy then this isn't the job for you. I've worked at so many optical shops where it was just me doing everything and I've worked at places where it was me and 2 people. I have 8 members on my staff here and we all help each other out. We like to make the day fun. Who wants to dread going to work?

It's not hard to do your job well and take pride in a job well done.
Pros
Atmosphere, management, compensation, PTO/benefits
Cons
No cons. Some days are harder than others. That's life.
learned a lot about my position with old upper management-a lot of coaching and development.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAJune 19, 2018
Overall, NVI was an awesome place to work---until they went public and changed upper management. No job security even with good performance--great place to get your license in any state! Reimbursements for education and passing your exam.
Manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 16, 2018
As a licensed Optician who was brought in to manage and clean the store up.
By a previous DM. Then there was a change of management and tbey brought in a new DM that had personal relationships within the store which made it impossible to manage those associates. The company only cares about how much money they can get out of the customers. managers are required to work EVERY SATURDAY. Company sets unrealistic goals and micromanages. Focus is more on what the associates havent sold and not on what they have sold. If you sell 6,000 in one day they don't say great. They say what could you have done better to make more. Raises are either non existent or at most .20 cents . The grading formula is designed to keep raises down. Want to make more money less stress apply anywhere else! I did and I love my new Job!
Pros
Bennefits if your full time.
Cons
Mostly hires part time, upper management, cut tbroat practices. Drama filled work place.
Horrible, Run, not worth your sanity!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 7, 2018
Sales goals are used to threaten you losing your job. Not worth the stress. Company cares more about their sales goals than the patient! It's all about how much money you can get out of the customer! Your trained to push the companies high priced lenses even if the patient doesn't need them. And if you sell the lower priced lenses your penalized for it and told how much you suck at upselling and they cut your hours. This company breeds animosity within their stores! Run from this company , you can do better with private practice or even Walmart owned stores. Lens crafters is also a better option. Than this company!
Pros
Cons
Cut throat, no life outside of work, high stress!
Productive and Busy work place with friendly people
OD Technician (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 6, 2018
The Dr's side of the business was well attended to, fun and good people to work with. The Dr's are awesome and attentive to the needs of their receptionists. The EyeGlass World side of things was stressful and full of drama. Poor management and lack of communication. Pay was fair, and decent hours. There were not any benefits available to me, except free eye exams and discounts on glasses. Hardest part of the job was rush hour, especially if I was alone, and closing time because you have to clean everything before you leave, bathrooms included in that.
Pros
Discounts on Glasses, and free eye exams
Cons
poor mangament
Staff are usually nice to work with. Fun place to be when it's not busy.
Doctor of optometry (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 31, 2018
Nice place to work, however patient demographic is majority uneducated and don't like to follow protocols as they've been directed. It's a fast pace work.
Pros
Free CE
Cons
Can hardly get PTO

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Vision, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight