National Vision, Inc. Employee Reviews

learned a lot about my position with old upper management-a lot of coaching and development.
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAJune 19, 2018
Overall, NVI was an awesome place to work---until they went public and changed upper management. No job security even with good performance--great place to get your license in any state! Reimbursements for education and passing your exam.
Manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 16, 2018
As a licensed Optician who was brought in to manage and clean the store up.
By a previous DM. Then there was a change of management and tbey brought in a new DM that had personal relationships within the store which made it impossible to manage those associates. The company only cares about how much money they can get out of the customers. managers are required to work EVERY SATURDAY. Company sets unrealistic goals and micromanages. Focus is more on what the associates havent sold and not on what they have sold. If you sell 6,000 in one day they don't say great. They say what could you have done better to make more. Raises are either non existent or at most .20 cents . The grading formula is designed to keep raises down. Want to make more money less stress apply anywhere else! I did and I love my new Job!
Pros
Bennefits if your full time.
Cons
Mostly hires part time, upper management, cut tbroat practices. Drama filled work place.
Horrible, Run, not worth your sanity!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 7, 2018
Sales goals are used to threaten you losing your job. Not worth the stress. Company cares more about their sales goals than the patient! It's all about how much money you can get out of the customer! Your trained to push the companies high priced lenses even if the patient doesn't need them. And if you sell the lower priced lenses your penalized for it and told how much you suck at upselling and they cut your hours. This company breeds animosity within their stores! Run from this company , you can do better with private practice or even Walmart owned stores. Lens crafters is also a better option. Than this company!
Pros
Cons
Cut throat, no life outside of work, high stress!
Productive and Busy work place with friendly people
OD Technician (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJune 6, 2018
The Dr's side of the business was well attended to, fun and good people to work with. The Dr's are awesome and attentive to the needs of their receptionists. The EyeGlass World side of things was stressful and full of drama. Poor management and lack of communication. Pay was fair, and decent hours. There were not any benefits available to me, except free eye exams and discounts on glasses. Hardest part of the job was rush hour, especially if I was alone, and closing time because you have to clean everything before you leave, bathrooms included in that.
Pros
Discounts on Glasses, and free eye exams
Cons
poor mangament
Staff are usually nice to work with. Fun place to be when it's not busy.
Doctor of optometry (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 31, 2018
Nice place to work, however patient demographic is majority uneducated and don't like to follow protocols as they've been directed. It's a fast pace work.
Pros
Free CE
Cons
Can hardly get PTO
billing specialist
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAMay 26, 2018
Great place to work, but it does not offer any advancement when it come to being promoted, the paid isn't great but it is a very relaxing environment for anyone that need a break from stress
Pros
stress free
Cons
paid isnt great
Growing Company
Manager (Former Employee) –  VAMay 15, 2018
CEO genuine and sincere. He values long time employees and loyalty. Some of the other leaders don't share that vision but he tries to balance that culture.
Pros
Growing Company
Cons
Brand leaders struggle
fun work environment
District Manager (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 12, 2018
Excellent environment to work in, the associate are amazing and great customer service oriented all the way around. A great company to work for.
I appreciate the great partnership.
Great introduction to the optical world
Optician Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2018
Stores are run by GM but really it's the DM that has all the say so. The hours are cool but it's run more like a retail store than a doctors office. Overall great company to start with if you are interested in the optical world but as far as salary they pay on the lower scale.
Work culture is strange
Billing AR Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 8, 2018
If you end up in the Billing Department you will never be able to get out of there. At a glance it seems that there are many opportunities to grow but managers from other departments will not give you a chance at all simply because you are in this department. Some segregation! It's weird. Management is less than capable to handle growth and development of employees. There is also a vindictive approach to "open door" policy. You may end up on a black list just by speaking openly about work related issues. It creates an atmosphere of fear with employees being under impression that they are being watched at any time.There is no feeling of belonging to speak for.
Pros
company discounts for optical products
Cons
To many to fit in this line
Well run company.
Licensed Optician (Current Employee) –  Township of Deptford, NJMay 7, 2018
I love my job and I like working with the people at my location.
It is a greatcompany to work for and the benefits are good.
Only good experiences and they know how to keep you interested.
Pros
Corporate run !
Cons
Working weekends
contractor (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 2, 2018
National vision it’s a nice place to work. The dress code I like the lot. It was more casual than business. Management and employees are very friendly
fun and exciting
Assistant Manager, Optician (Former Employee) –  Newport, ORApril 28, 2018
I loved working there and I would not have left but I had to relocate with my family. it is a fun place to work and the experience is great to learn all about glasses and contacts. I was the assistant manager
Pros
free glasses every year
Cons
some work on commision
Easy going job employee are helpful
Receiving Lead (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAApril 27, 2018
while working here day to day jobs are similar receiving incoming merchandise stocking item for the picker to access management are straight forward in what they want day to day, The work schedule was the best Monday thru Friday
Pros
open communication
Cons
Limited room for advancement, salary, Management
Stressful, fast paced
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 26, 2018
Training is terrible and outdated, middle management and most general managers are not trained for real optical work, out of touch with reality, understand though it is a corporate retailer.
Pros
Quick entry level optical work
Cons
Poor management, poorly staffed stores, middle management
Great Company
Doctor's Technician (Current Employee) –  Cordele, GAApril 24, 2018
This is a great company to work for there are a lot of great opportunities to bonus. Overall the other staff is a pleasure to work with. The Doctor is awesome he truly cares about his clients.
Best company in 17 years in industry
General Manager (Current Employee) –  IowaApril 23, 2018
Sadly, it took me 14 years of employment in the optical industry to discover NVI. Now that I am here, I can tell you that this is the best company for which I have worked. Great training. True to their word. People focused. Customer service is on point. Of course, everywhere you go, you'll have those employees that don't adhere to the culture; but the company can't be judged by the few that stain it.
The best training I've ever had.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAApril 12, 2018
National Vision has a training system set in place to help you be successful from day one. I was incredibly impressed and very grateful to experience such a wise manner in which they train.
Pros
Training dept is incredible
Cons
N/a
Repetative, boring and hours are long. Not enough money to live comfortably
Optical Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNApril 11, 2018
Management treats employees respectively for the most part. Since they have a high turnover due to low wages job security is very good you almost have to try to get fired. They offer a great 401K and you get 3 and a half weeks of PTO every year. The wages are not competitive and raises are laughable very hard to make a comfortable living. Due to the very low wages we have trouble hiring and retaining employees so we are always short staffed and because we are so short staffed we end up having to work a ridiculous amount of mandatory overtime. The amount of mandatory overtime goes up every year due to new stores being added and not enough labs and work force to keep up with the demand, expect to work 56 to 60 hours per week for the majority of the year. The building is climate controlled so the temperature is always perfect. The work in the surface department is very dirty so don't bother coming to work in nice clothes and shoes get wrecked in a hurry. It isn't hard physical labor but it is repetitive and boring, but we do get to listen to head phones which makes it a little less monotonous. Co workers are easy to get along with, supervisors are respectful but bossy and pushy. When we work 8 hours of mandatory overtime on a weekend they want us to work from 4am to noon with only two 10 minute breaks which makes the day very long, plus it isn't much fun getting out of bed at 3am on a Saturday. We work ALOT of mandatory overtime, the wages do not compensate for the amount of work we do which is why I am currently looking for another job. I wouldn't recommend this job to any one,  more... there are better optical labs to work for!  less
Pros
Friendly co-workers, climate controlled building, get to listen to music, 3 and a half weeks of PTO every year, room for advancement
Cons
Way too much mandatory overtime, do not get easter off, very low wages, raises are an insult, always short staffed, boring and repetative work
Great teamwork and cooperation.
Support Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Duluth, GAApril 10, 2018
It's a good place to work. The teamwork and cooperation on all teams is exalent. However, job advancement is lacking. I would recommend National Vision, but as I said, it's somewhat hard to move up in the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Vision, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6

2.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight