National Youth Advocate Program Employee Reviews

Agency that cares about children and families
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  KentuckySeptember 4, 2018
NYAP is an agency who cares about the children and families that they serve. They allow employees to flex their time in order to meet the needs, not only of their referrals, but also of their own families at home. For staff who wish to advance, there is opportunity to grow within the company. NYAP CEO is amazing! I would recommend the agency!
Pros
Cares about staff and clients
An organization with a true passion for helping families...
FES Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 4, 2018
I love working with NYAP. Everyone is so nice and I truly get to do something good for the families within my community. The program promotes family support and decision-making.

Managment is very supportive.

A typical day includes meeting with families, caseworkers and children. Most days include leading meetings and paperwork.
Pros
Managment is understanding and always there to provide support when needed.
Cons
None! Maybe paperwork.
Cooperative environment; Rewarding work!
Kinship Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 27, 2018
Working at the National Youth Advocate Program has fulfilled my career goals. I love what I do! Working with children and families is very rewarding, yet challenging, but “team work” is encouraged and exhibited throughout the organization, which is nice!
Pros
Rewarding work, company outings, collaborative environment
Cons
Pay (some positions), stressful at times.
Excellent learning opportunities
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaAugust 22, 2018
Only cons to working here are the lack of advancement without continuing education. They help and pay for license and training throughout employment.
Emergency Shelter Care and Group Living for teenagers along with Foster Care and counseling.
Treatment Advocate II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 21, 2018
Great management and friendly atmosphere to help children. A diversified private non-profit company. Fast-paced but working with youth in group home settings or foster care.
Pros
Healthcare, 401k match
Cons
limited breaks
Not the ideal place to work for those looking for growth
HR Business Partner - Ohio Region (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 24, 2018
My supervisor was never free to answer my questions and would frequently override any decision I made with a Manager. The Manager would send her their displeasure that they felt I was in the wrong. My Supervisor would never come to me first before overriding or explain to me how she came to her conclusion. After my mother's demise, she said her and the team would take over and for me to take as much time as I needed. She promised the Managers I would fill all open positions by a certain time after returning. This was not conveyed to me until all the Managers complained to her. And she waited until a week and a half of my aunt's demise to have a sit down and explain to me that she feels I am not giving 110%. At this point, we had decided to part ways, as this was effecting my health.
Enjoyed helping the clients and i had a great group of coworkers.
Treatment advocate (Former Employee) –  Matheson, iLJuly 8, 2018
I love my coworkers and the management team. I enjoyed working with the youth. The job allows you to create a schedule that best fits youas looking as you complete your hours with the clients.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Pay
Pretty Good place to work
Family Engagement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Moncks Corner, SCJune 26, 2018
The National Youth Advocate program is a great place to work.
I have enjoyed working with the families. NYAP does have a great mission and where I work they implement that mission.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Too much paper work
Enjoyable place to work at
Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVJune 24, 2018
Loved working there, meeting nice people who were fostering the children. Job was interesting, a learning experience. Placing children in good homes while their home lives were corrected and some even got adopted when their living arrangements at home could not be corrected.
Pros
Helping the foster children
Cons
not enough hours
POOR Office Management-Dayton
Full Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 19, 2018
Many staff, parents, and outside colleagues have complained about the mgt of this office to no avail. Hopefully upper mgt will figure this out soon. This is why there is such high turnover of staff, unnecessary office stress, and inability to secure contracts as service provider. The mgt priority is not on clients in this office. Severe lack of professionalism, appropriateness, and emotional control by this mgt. NYAP itself may be a good agency, but this local office has much to be desired and again, upper mgt needs to put a better person in this office. It is hurting them to keep this manager. I would not recommend the Dayton office.
In addition, the CEO is a nice genuine caring person but is disconnected from individual locations and makes too much money for the job she actually does. This is often talked about by individual staff within the offices. The board for this organization is also ineffective...they operate as friends instead of a true board. You will learn this really quick.
Pros
Flextime, Pto, client base, working with families and youth.
Cons
Rarely can use PTO or flex time due to high staff turnover, poor office management, upper management does not listen to complaints.
Official response from National Youth Advocate Program
June 25, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, we are sorry you did not have the same positive experience so many others have had while working at NYAP.

If you would like to talk further about your experience working at NYAP, please contact Victoria Collins our Director of Human Resources at vcollins@nyap.org. Thank you again for your feedback.

Community of Caring
Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 8, 2018
Confidentiality is the key to supporting each youth and their families as well as providing individual and care for those in need of a home, in need of love, and a ear to understand.
Supportive and Relaxed Work Enviroment for Social Workers
Case Worker & Licensing Rep (Current Employee) –  Matteson, ILMay 31, 2018
NYAP has been very welcoming and organized since I was hired. After two years, I still feel welcome, supported and appreciated.

NYAP staff truly cares for the youth and making a difference.
Pros
flexibility and support
Cons
average salary
I love this job!
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairmont, WVMay 9, 2018
is by far the best environment I’ve worked in. There is a strong team work approach. Everyone is supportive. The pay is good for the area. The health insurance isn’t that great. You get plenty of vacation days and are encouraged to take them. I truly believe that they care about their clients and not the bottom line. I also feel like they care about me. It can be stressful with the families at times, but hey it’s social work. I love working with the kids.
Pros
So many!
Cons
Health Insurance
Great Place to Work
Office Admin (Current Employee) –  IndianaMay 4, 2018
Awesome atmosphere and group of people to work with. Very rewarding work!!!! Great pay and holiday/PTO options. Everyone is welcoming and management wants to make sure you are successful in everything you do!
Quiet and Relaxed place to work
Internship (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 13, 2018
Professional office environment with friendly and helpful staff. A lot of ongoing changes that seem to always be adapting to more advanced technologies and system management.
Great job but poor job culture. Employee talked about others
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 25, 2018
Management let an employee run the show even though her experience was limited to only NYAP. This employee talked about other co-workers and was allowed to go through other employees desk and present management with her version and caused other employees their jobs.
Great job to get your foot into the field post graduation
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 22, 2018
I have been working at NYAP since July 2017 and had only graduated two months prior to starting. NYAP has been really great at helping me learn to balance the many different paths that we can be pulled into in a five minute period. NYAP has been very accommodating and my supervisor took the time to get to know my struggles and help me to find different ways to help me to get where I would like to be. Since starting, I have learned and increased in my ability to multi-task and learn how to prioritize and balance. I do work past the normal 9-5 and my regional manager has started to brainstorm with me ways to get what I need done during the day. Overall, it is a great job to start out in post graduation and the fast- paced culture helps you for the future. Thank you NYAP Dayton for everything!
Pros
Great co-workers, support atmosphere, and available supervisor and regional manager
Cons
Paperwork
Very Rewarding!
Treatment Advocate (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 16, 2018
Working at NYAP has been the most rewarding and fulfilling career I’ve ever had. From my co workers to the kids and the foster families, I’ve never felt like I’m making a genuine difference by providing support amoungst other services. The family atmosphere and the flexibility within the company definitely makes for an ideal work environment!
Pros
Flexibility, Comradery, Family Oriented
Mission driven work
Director of Continuous Quality Improvement (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 10, 2018
The agency provides socially critical and impactful work. Everyday you have the opportunity to make the world a better place for children and families.

The agency is a powerhouse in every community that they work. Creative and innovative care for children and families.
Pros
Management has a sincere desire to assist staff in their career development.
Cons
Due to the type of business this is not a 9-5 job
Official response from National Youth Advocate Program
February 14, 2018

Thank you for your review and comments! The work we do is very important both socially and to the families we serve, and we are thankful to all our employees who make the world a better place for children and families.

Family and friendly oriented
Office specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 8, 2018
I love it here at NYAP, it balances my work and home life perfectly. Not only that when I first started working here the staff was very kind and welcoming the first moment I walked through the door. I truly and genuinely love it here , just like any job you’ll have very busy days , but here at NYAP I always get my job done stress free . ( ps free spirited environment)!
Pros
The people are friendly and understanding
Cons
I haven’t came across any .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Youth Advocate Program. Our community is ready to answer.