National Youth Advocate Program
63Average

National Youth Advocate Program Employee Reviews

United States314 reviews
Better Pay for TA
Good is that NYAP creates safe environments where people can be themselves and explore their connectedness and their differences and find positive ways to learn and live with others in the greater community. Community. NYAP believes that children and youth learn life lessons best in the communities they call home.

Bad is that most of the youth case workers isn't always productive when it comes to the youths well being.
I'm a former employee. The team I worked with was great
We worked in a small office in Beachwood. The team respected each other and helped each other. We were supportive of family. We served a diverse population of foster families.
Pros
Felt appreciated.
Cons
Immediate manager was inconsistent.
I regret taking this job.
Constant turnover, changing expectations, unpredictable management, emphasis on census and not the best interests of children and families, constant chaos. Need I say more?
Fun place to work, expectations very high.
I enjoyed the opportunity to work with a great team, provide excellent professional service, and be daily encouraged to succeed as staff. The flexible hours are also great.
Good people with genuine care for those served
Although difficult work, the community of people is wonderful and supportive. There is lots of training offered and continuing opportunities for growth as a therapist. The casual atmosphere allows for flexibility and personality.
Pros
Supportive staff
Cons
Challenging work, weekend on-call responsibilities.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Great supervisors at my location
The company is committed and you can really make a difference for people. my supervisors are also wonderful. The work hours can be a challenge as we don’t work 9-5.
March 9, 2020
Thanks for your feedback! What a wonderful opportunity to have the chance to make a difference for so many people.
Creativity
Appreciation towards goal driven innovative thinkers who can think out of the box within a therapeutic framework. Success driven, changing Youths lives is extremely satisfying.
Its really important to take innitiative and be organized. Timely, and following through with commitments toward clients and families is imperative. Paperwork expectations and Productivity
Do your research
Executive Director makes or breaks your program. They decide everything about your training, pay, work life balance and growth.
Get a good one, it's your dream job.

Get a bad one, you won't get your raise, you'll be blamed for everything, you'll never be trained properly, and your workflow will be a disorganized chaotic mess.

Before you take a job here, ask the current employees about the status quo.

Listen to them, and watch their faces.

Choose wisely.
Good place to work job security
The pay could be better but overall a good place to work.
Job security is there.

Human Resource department is great and stand behind good workers. Will accommodate location for emplyees.
March 9, 2020
Thank you for your comment, and more specifically, your kind words about our excellent HR department. In regards to pay, our HR department has recently initiated a "Total Rewards" statement that employees can reference to get a true value of their pay, or overall compensation as a whole. This Total Rewards statement takes into consideration the multitude of benefits NYAP offers including Goodwill Days, Friday Summer Hours, etc. and presents it in a way that you can see your overall compensation and compare it to other places you have worked. We believe this to be an excellent tool in helping employees rate the current landscape of similar positions with other like companies, and be better informed of their true "earnings" with NYAP.

We wish you the best on your future endeavors, and once again, appreciate your feedback!
Great company!
NYAP was a fantastic place to work. Every level of the company worked hard to help you and the families safe and happy. I unfortunately had to move or else I would still be working here!
Fun place to work, but can be overwhelming
NYAP was a great experience. The people that work there are all very supportive and understanding when it comes to helping out new people. I enjoyed working with both the supervisors I had during my time there. There were some concerns about not receiving adequate supervision, but it seemed like the supervisor of this position had to pick up all the slack from being short staffed so it made it difficult at times. The pay wasn't amazing, but they do pay a decent amount, plus you will get mileage reimbursement for driving to visits.
The only thing I disliked about this position was the overwhelming amount of paperwork involved. No one really prepared me for all the things I would have to be responsible for doing, and often times missed deadlines because there was just too much to do and not enough time to do it. NYAP does allow you to work from home or outside of the office to complete these things, which helps. Being in the office can become quite a distraction when everyone is in at the same time.

They will also pay for you to get a work cell phone, which I wish I would have done. They give out stipends for either a new phone, or to go towards your current phone bill. I wish I would have gotten a separate phone as the calls and texts from foster parents after hours was extremely frustrating, but that isn't the fault of the company.

Overall, I did not have a bad experience with NYAP and would consider returning in the future.
March 9, 2020
Thanks for letting us know about the things you enjoy most about working at NYAP. We also understand we may have missed the opportunity to provide you with the proper supervision you feel you may have needed, and we regret this. Unfortunately, as our industry's landscape continues to change, it can be a challenge to ensure everyone is getting the one on one attention they deserve.

Good luck, and thanks again for the comment!
Very upbeat and solution-focused
Working with NYAP has been wonderful thus far. Everyone in their own way is completing a mission of standing up for children and their families. This is one of the healthiest environments I've worked in and my coworkers believe the same.
March 9, 2020
Thanks for your kind review! It’s great to hear from people who are energized about our culture and growth! We take the "standing up for children and their families" responsibility very seriously and are glad to hear our employees feel the same way.
Good agency
NYAP was pretty good to me. They have dedicated staff and though the work is hard, you know it matters. Salary was reasonable and scheduling very flexible. There is sufficient PTO for most things. Insurance was OK, not great but there probably are very few "great" insurance situations left anywhere, it's as good as you're likely to get.
Foster parent
Stressful but well worth making a difference. I have worked with foster children for 13 years and it has it's ups and downs but at the end of the day it's a great way to tru and make a difference in the world.
National Youth Advocate Program
Overall NYAP is a great place to work. One of the best parts of NYAP is that they do a great job at trying to and continuing to try to make sure employees feel valued and important.
supervisor
Great job, but it pays a lower salary than most other agencies. The management and CEO are great to work for and they offer a great family/ work life balance.
Room for Improvement
Staffing issues need to be addressed.
Non performing House Mangers need to be held accountable.

Need for safety of staff when high intensive youth are in the homes.

Staffing schedules need revised. Wok life balance needs to be encouraged and staff working both weekend days is not a motivator.
Great company with great benefits.
Not only does this company truly care about what they do, but they care about their staff too. Amazing work environment, benefits, life balance, and more. Would highly recommend to anymore
Mission driven; incredible supervisor
I sincerely appreciate NYAP's unwavering commitment to what's best for children, youth, and families. My direct supervisor sets an incredible example; she is the epitome of the NYAP spirit. She cares deeply and works tirelessly for our team and those we have the privilege to serve, supporting advocacy and innovation (as well as all other NYAP values). My director supervisor and NYAP's mission inspire me, it is those two elements that carry me through challenging work and long hours.
We really are NYAP!
I work as a part time TA. I also work at school during the day. I have learned so much being at NYAP and feel like I have the best support when I do not understand a process. I feel like every TC that I have had the opportunity to work with encourages me and helps promote my growth as a TA. It is a privilege to work with such an amazing team!
NYAP, A Good Place to Work
There is no typical day in Youth Care Services. This is what I love about it. It is so rewarding to meet with a youth and see the light in their eyes after you have worked with them to solve a problem and/ or to let them know that even though this did not turn out the you wanted it to, I will be by your side to walk you through it.
I have learned so very much about working with the youth , but, mostly I have learn to multitask and to solve problems instantly.

Most of NYAP's management is great however, my coworkers and I do have concerns about our immediate supervisor. However, I have notice that she is improving.

I enjoy working with the diverse culture of NYAP. They can sometime help you to understand a youth's behavior. I really love trying different food.

There are two answers to the hardest part of my job.Not being able to help a child out of a situation that they did not cause. The second is working with a supervisor that has not taken the time to learn the job, learn about you or your coworkers and thinking that meeting with her takes priority over the needs of children's of NYAP.

The best part of my job is knowing the change I have made in so many children lives.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Youth Advocate Program. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight