National Youth Advocate Program Employee Reviews

Run fast, run far
Family Care Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 6, 2018
I was a Family Case Manager in the Columbus, Ohio office. I have never worked in a more toxic environment in my entire life. Let’s forget that NYAP isn’t respected at all in the environment by outside providers. NYAP creates a culture of hostility and backbiting in their own office. While many of the case managers want the best outcomes for their families, the management only cares about staying in budget. This includes returning kids to families that have no business caring for a cat let alone a child. Management is condescending. Half the staff is outside smoking instead of working all day.

Just all around bad environment. Pay and benefits are truly terrible. There’s no consistency in compensation either. You can have someone doing the same job hired after you with less experience making 5k more than you.
Pros
Free water, flexible schedule
Cons
Everything else, poor management, no respect
November 28, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, we are sorry you did not have the same positive experience so many others have had while working at NYAP.
If you would like to talk further about your experience working at NYAP, please contact Victoria Collins our Director of Human Resources at vcollins@nyap.org. Thank you again for your feedback.

Stressful yet productive. Fluctuating morale yet cohesiveness.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Matteson, ILJanuary 10, 2019
It is difficult to say what a typical day is or will be at National Youth Advocate Program because it varies. It is a fast-paced environment with very minimum down-time to due arising crisis servicing at-risk youth. I've learned to best prioritize tasks and the definition of teamwork. Management has limited skills in terms of being people-oriented. Lower management do not lead by example or provide support to their employees. The morale at the workplace fluctuates up and down yet there is a high level of cohesiveness because the employees have a great working relationship. The hardest part of the job is communication. Somehow there is a barrier where often times the ball gets dropped, especially at the location I m employed. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the employees.
Pros
Job flexibility
Cons
Heavy workloads but not enough manpower
Great place to grow
Treatment Advocate (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati-OHOctober 29, 2018
Nyap is a great place to work and grow in the field of social work. The atmosphere is amazing and there is room for advancement and growth along with room to make mistakes and learn from them with the support of your coworkers and supervisors. It’s very flexible as I make my own schedule which is great for work/family balance if you’re super organized. I love getting to work with the youth and foster parents. I love that no matter what your title is you’re treated with respect and your thoughts and opinions matter. By far the best job I’ve ever had!
Pros
Supportive environment, great supervisors, flexibility
Cons
Later hours during school, poor training
Emergency Shelter Care and Group Living for teenagers along with Foster Care and counseling.
Treatment Advocate II (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 21, 2018
Great management and friendly atmosphere to help children. A diversified private non-profit company. Fast-paced but working with youth in group home settings or foster care.
Pros
Healthcare, 401k match
Cons
limited breaks
Fast-paced, Rewarding, Supportive Environment
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 1, 2018
It is excepted that the job will be fast-paced and come with some stressful days, as are most positions in social service agencies. NYAP promotes a culture that provides support to the Social Workers despite the pace. Management strives to promote work/life balance, and works to problem solve rather than reprimand. Management takes a strengths-focused approach. Safety of clients and workers is a priority. I look forward to coming to work daily.
Pros
Supportive supervisors, Rewarding, Great teamwork, Strong ethics, Laid-back culture, Great amount of paid time off
Cons
Ongoing changes, Communication/follow-through with HR, Issues with on-boarding, Difficult to achieve productivity standards
February 2, 2018

Thank you very much for the review. We are very proud of our culture, and appreciate it when other recognize our efforts. Unfortunately, as you stated, stress is sometimes unavoidable in our industry, but the rewards certainly outweigh it all! Thanks again, and we hope you have a long career here at NYAP!

Agency that cares about children and families
Executive Director (Current Employee) –  KentuckySeptember 4, 2018
NYAP is an agency who cares about the children and families that they serve. They allow employees to flex their time in order to meet the needs, not only of their referrals, but also of their own families at home. For staff who wish to advance, there is opportunity to grow within the company. NYAP CEO is amazing! I would recommend the agency!
Pros
Cares about staff and clients
September 25, 2018

Thanks for your review and input. It’s great to hear from our team about why they love working at NYAP.

Cooperative environment; Rewarding work!
Kinship Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 27, 2018
Working at the National Youth Advocate Program has fulfilled my career goals. I love what I do! Working with children and families is very rewarding, yet challenging, but “team work” is encouraged and exhibited throughout the organization, which is nice!
Pros
Rewarding work, company outings, collaborative environment
Cons
Pay (some positions), stressful at times.
Enjoyed Helping the clients and I had a great group of co-workers.
Treatment advocate (Former Employee) –  Matteson, ILDecember 31, 2018
I love my coworkers and the management team. I enjoyed working with the youth. The job allows you to create a schedule that best fits you as you complete your hours with the clients.
Pros
Co-workers & Clients
Cons
Pay
Terrible environment
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHNovember 11, 2018
Management was terrible! Lots of clicks and backstabbing of each other. No one is collaborative. Would never recommend the job. Very stressful due to drama.
Pros
No work to take home
Cons
Everything else
November 28, 2018

Thanks for your feedback. We strive to promote an atmosphere of collaboration and respect among all of our employees, and we are sorry you did not find the same atmosphere at your location. We are always interested in hearing ways in which we can improve, and if you could, please contact our Human Resources Director, Victoria Collins at vcollins@nyap.org if you would like to discuss the value of all employees to our organization. Thank you again for your feedback.

Wonderful place to work!
Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wheeling, WVSeptember 19, 2018
Some may complain about NYAP, but I found that those were the people that did not do their jobs. Of course the management will be tough on you! Do your work and be helpful and you won't have any problems.
September 25, 2018

Thanks for your positive review and feedback. We’re glad you enjoy working at NYAP.

Work Review
Transporter (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, OH 44107August 25, 2018
I enjoy working at NYAP. I have been here a little over a year. Transporting clients to visit with their parents and allowing them to carry on a biological relationship is very rewarding. It can be stressful for the clients if patients parents do not show. It is a challenge to help these clients over their stresses as they return to foster care after each visit.

Working at NYAP is a new way of introducing myself to a new realm of children and adolescents who have special needs. The difficulties of a foster child are generally a challenge but through NYAP there are many opportunities for their parents, foster parents and any other caregivers in their lives. NYAP provides training for foster parents, adoptive parents and new hires to the company.

NYAP provides a great amount of computer training to it's new employees.
Pros
Great staff!
Cons
Not the ideal place to work for those looking for growth
HR Business Partner - Ohio Region (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 24, 2018
My supervisor was never free to answer my questions and would frequently override any decision I made with a Manager. The Manager would send her their displeasure that they felt I was in the wrong. My Supervisor would never come to me first before overriding or explain to me how she came to her conclusion. After my mother's demise, she said her and the team would take over and for me to take as much time as I needed. She promised the Managers I would fill all open positions by a certain time after returning. This was not conveyed to me until all the Managers complained to her. And she waited until a week and a half of my aunt's demise to have a sit down and explain to me that she feels I am not giving 110%. At this point, we had decided to part ways, as this was effecting my health.
POOR Office Management-Dayton
Full Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJune 19, 2018
Many staff, parents, and outside colleagues have complained about the mgt of this office to no avail. Hopefully upper mgt will figure this out soon. This is why there is such high turnover of staff, unnecessary office stress, and inability to secure contracts as service provider. The mgt priority is not on clients in this office. Severe lack of professionalism, appropriateness, and emotional control by this mgt. NYAP itself may be a good agency, but this local office has much to be desired and again, upper mgt needs to put a better person in this office. It is hurting them to keep this manager. I would not recommend the Dayton office.
In addition, the CEO is a nice genuine caring person but is disconnected from individual locations and makes too much money for the job she actually does. This is often talked about by individual staff within the offices. The board for this organization is also ineffective...they operate as friends instead of a true board. You will learn this really quick.
Pros
Flextime, Pto, client base, working with families and youth.
Cons
Rarely can use PTO or flex time due to high staff turnover, poor office management, upper management does not listen to complaints.
June 25, 2018

Great job to get your foot into the field post graduation
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 22, 2018
I have been working at NYAP since July 2017 and had only graduated two months prior to starting. NYAP has been really great at helping me learn to balance the many different paths that we can be pulled into in a five minute period. NYAP has been very accommodating and my supervisor took the time to get to know my struggles and help me to find different ways to help me to get where I would like to be. Since starting, I have learned and increased in my ability to multi-task and learn how to prioritize and balance. I do work past the normal 9-5 and my regional manager has started to brainstorm with me ways to get what I need done during the day. Overall, it is a great job to start out in post graduation and the fast- paced culture helps you for the future. Thank you NYAP Dayton for everything!
Pros
Great co-workers, support atmosphere, and available supervisor and regional manager
Cons
Paperwork
Excellent learning opportunities
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaAugust 22, 2018
Only cons to working here are the lack of advancement without continuing education. They help and pay for license and training throughout employment.
September 25, 2018

Thanks for your positive review. We’re glad you are enjoying your NYAP career! We also appreciate your candid feedback regarding our growth and advancement opportunities.

Enjoyed helping the clients and i had a great group of coworkers.
Treatment advocate (Former Employee) –  Matheson, iLJuly 8, 2018
I love my coworkers and the management team. I enjoyed working with the youth. The job allows you to create a schedule that best fits youas looking as you complete your hours with the clients.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Pay
Mission driven work
Director of Continuous Quality Improvement (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 10, 2018
The agency provides socially critical and impactful work. Everyday you have the opportunity to make the world a better place for children and families.

The agency is a powerhouse in every community that they work. Creative and innovative care for children and families.
Pros
Management has a sincere desire to assist staff in their career development.
Cons
Due to the type of business this is not a 9-5 job
February 14, 2018

Thank you for your review and comments! The work we do is very important both socially and to the families we serve, and we are thankful to all our employees who make the world a better place for children and families.

An organization with a true passion for helping families...
FES Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCSeptember 4, 2018
I love working with NYAP. Everyone is so nice and I truly get to do something good for the families within my community. The program promotes family support and decision-making.

Managment is very supportive.

A typical day includes meeting with families, caseworkers and children. Most days include leading meetings and paperwork.
Pros
Managment is understanding and always there to provide support when needed.
Cons
None! Maybe paperwork.
September 25, 2018

Thanks for your review and feedback. It’s so great to hear you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of our clients/families because you truly are!

Supportive and Relaxed Work Enviroment for Social Workers
Case Worker & Licensing Rep (Current Employee) –  Matteson, ILMay 31, 2018
NYAP has been very welcoming and organized since I was hired. After two years, I still feel welcome, supported and appreciated.

NYAP staff truly cares for the youth and making a difference.
Pros
flexibility and support
Cons
average salary
NYAP is a wonderful agency!
Treatment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INJuly 22, 2017
I work in the Columbus, Indiana office. I would never think of leaving this great agency. NYAP truly cares about their staff and supports a positive work/life balance. The compensation is much higher than that of other agencies within the area. NYAP is the preferred provider, due to the many services provided. They truly care about the children, families, and the foster families. I would highly recommend this agency to others!
Pros
Supportive management, competitive salary
Cons
None/great agency

Ask a question about working or interviewing at National Youth Advocate Program. Our community is ready to answer.