Nationwide Children's Hospital Employee Reviews

HR Organization Development
HRIS Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 18, 2018
This department was awful. During the time I was their the team turned over 6 different times.
The Director didn't have your back, she would through you under the bus, dust you off and then ask you to take on another project-without asking how the current project was going. SHE was NOT a team player. She NEVER fought for her team. Because she was submissive she is still there and the team is still turning over. I learned from my peers by experience. The overall culture of HR was cut throat-when I was there I was # 30+ to leave out of (70 employees) to resign. The Benefits Director was just as bad, I watched people who had been there for years get fired right after open enrollment-just cause. No one in Administration cared that the management was the reason people were quitting.
Pros
The community and the Kids
Cons
Salary/Management/Lack of Administrative Support
Instrument Technician / Operating Room Liaison (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 15, 2018
Cleaned, assembled, and sterilized instrument sets for next days surgeries. Picked case carts. Stocked supplies for OR. OR Liason position. Checked every room to make sure they had all supplies they needed for that days cases.
Depends on your position
Constant Attendant / Patient Observer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 27, 2018
I loved my job at Children's. I worked in the behavioral health unit and everyday is different. I have been punched, kicked, spat on, called all kinds of provocative names, i've been threatened, and I have had patients throw things at me. Mind you, these kids are can be anywhere from 5 years old to 17 years old. Our job is to maintain a safe environment, and report anything that the patient may be doing to try to harm themselves or others. You have self defense training before you can be put in a room with a potentially violent kid.you could do 1 of 3 things, sit in a camera room and monitor patients and track their actions every 15 minutes, roam on 2-5 rooms every 15 minutes and track what your patient is doing, or sitting (If a patient is violent or a flight risk) you will sit in a room with a patient for your 8 hour shift. in the event a patient becomes aggressive or violent, security is called and the staff will try to de-escalate the situation and if all else fails the patient will be put in 4 point restraints until they can calm down. Although this may sound scary to some people, the unit is not crazy all the time. There will be weeks or months with out any violent patients and we will just have patients who are in the hospital for having suicidal thoughts, who are bullied, or who have other mental health issues. The unit can be very fun due to the people you wok with or sometimes you can just have some pretty cool and down to earth patients who you play games with and talk to for most of your shift. There may be some weeks where we have a lot of patients who are aggressive  more... or just want to run out of the room. I personally loved my unit. The nurses and other Constants, and PCA's were a pleasure to work with and for the most part you are working with people with similar personalities as you. there are so many people with different backgrounds and the unit works well to bring out the differences in each other in a positive way. I'd recommend this place to anyone who doesn't mind craziness and doesn't like spend everyday doing the same thing.  less
Pros
Great team, bright and friendly environment, staff recognition
Cons
Management could be better but its not completely terrible
Productive and Educational
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 26, 2018
I loved everything about this job. I learned so much about pediatric radiology and orthopedic surgery. I was given the opportunity to research a project for orthopedic surgery and it ended up getting published in the Journal of Pediatric Orthopedics
na
Inpatient Pharmacy Intern (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 23, 2018
Great place to work, all of the health care providers at this institution are have extreme knowledge and are very friendly to the staff and families. Great place
Not supportive of nursing
Radiology Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 23, 2018
Honestly, this hospital is all about making money, no matter the cost. The nurses are absolutely exhausted and stressed out with little to no support.
well rounded
Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 20, 2018
nice place I was young at the time don't remember a lot about it. seems to be a very nice place I would recommend this place to anyone it is a typical day
Poor management
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 19, 2018
Management for school based team was a mess and it sounds like most of behavioral health was the same. Hard to believe they themselves were once counselors and therapists. Very catty, gossipy, and cliquey. Extremely low moral on the team. Miserable environment. They do not treat you as an equal, an adult, or human. No exit interview offered unless they like you.
This is the company you want to work for!
Physical Therapy Aide/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westerville, OHApril 17, 2018
Nationwide Children's was the best company I have ever worked for. I took great pride in working for them. All co-workers were like family. I was sad to leave, but the hours and location made it hard to spend time with my quickly growing family.
Growing Organization
Management (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 11, 2018
Organization as a whole is a special place obviously. The changes that have happened over the years that I have been involved with the hospital have been amazing. As they continue to grow the opportunities will be there for those who start in a low level position and have aspirations to grow and move up within. At times I feel some employees that have left and should have never been rehired by other areas of the hospital has been a disappointment. Other than that NCH is a great place to work.
Pros
Constant growth, modern facilities compared to hospitals around the city.
Love working here, always something new to learn. Friendly environment.
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 9, 2018
Best place I’ve ever worked, I plan on retiring from here... I’ve grown so much in the 10 years I’ve been an employee. I have been promoted multiple times. I started part time answering the phone and making calls to families about keep their appointments. Full time position came available and I moved into the role of medical records and charting. Shortly I was front desk staff, registering patients, scheduling and managing the waiting room.
Just Ok
Ohio - Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 8, 2018
OK Job, not a career. Lots of unneeded drama and attitudes. Treat you like a replaceable number and makes you feel like your employment is not secure and fear termination.
Excellent place to work!
Data Coordinator-Neurodiagnostics (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 3, 2018
I absolutely loved my job at Nationwide Children's Hospital. My managers were great, morale was high, and the culture was amazing. Plus, the best part - you get to work with kids!
Poor management style and horrible time off policies
Central Scheduling Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 6, 2018
"Manager Discretion" is applied to a wide variety of HR policies, resulting in uneven application of consequences within a similar work team for both good or bad behaviors. Holiday pay is accrued along with vacation time (in the same bank of time), impacting available time off for personal/sick time and/or resulting in unpaid holidays. Occurrences for absences are accrued at "management discretion", allowing a variety of attendance records to be inappropriately accommodated.
Well known in the community
Administrative Support/Surgery Scheduler for ENT (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 5, 2018
I was always proud to work for NCH. They are well known in the community for helping critically ill patients. The doctors and nurses truly care about their patients.
Pros
many job opportunties
Cons
no cons
Great organization
Behavioral Health Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 1, 2018
NCH as a whole is a great organization. There are a lot of perks to working there but often are limited to staff who work at the main campus. It's out of the norm to encounter an employee who is not happy with their job. Unfortunately, I worked in a department with poor management and a high level of stress. I did not want to leave NCH but could not continue in that environment. Otherwise, I highly recommend working at NCH.
Pros
Many benefits and employee opportunities
Research, and more research
Research Associate I -Nephrology (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 27, 2018
Working on your own and discovering a new gene was a great adventure. Going to work everyday was enjoyment. Collaborating with other great scientist was spectacular.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Mangement doesn't care about the employees
customer service representative/security (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 23, 2018
Children's Hospital is a great place to take children for medical care but a horrible place to work. They have a high turn over and do not treat their employees with respect.
Productive and team work
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 19, 2018
Took vitals, asked the patients questions, gave immunizations, discharged patients. I worked directly with a Doctor and a Social Worker to focus on ADHD and My Health.
not very good
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 17, 2018
I worked there on a voluntary basis. The facility is very nice/new. I received little training or direction for my position. I had to figure out how to do many techniques.