Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 2,693 reviews matching the search See all 2,720 reviews
Company Downsizing
Field Claims Specialist II, MD (Current Employee) –  West VirginiaFebruary 15, 2019
the insurance industry is changing rapidly, Nationwide Insurance has decided claims associates are not needed anymore. They are using the digital age to process claims
Call center
Home Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXFebruary 15, 2019
Provided on site inspections and specialized customer service to property personal lines to avoid or limit losses the insured and the company. Provided property inspections reports and risk evaluation opinions which were used to select, price and retain profitable business
Lots of opportunities
Non-injury Claims adjuster (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHFebruary 15, 2019
I worked at Nationwide from June of 1986 to March of 2018 at which time my job/location of the company was relocated. The company was great to work for and offered competitive pay and benefits.
Pros
Competive pay
Cons
Job is very fast-pace and demanding
A Day At Nationwide
Attorney Negotiator, Claim Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 15, 2019
I worked at Nationwide for 5 years in the personal lines and commercial lines departments, including 2 yeas in management. The actual claims job was similar to any other...high frequency that requires detail and overtime work to stay on top off. That is claims. If you arent ready for that. You wont be happy there.

I was lucky to have phenomenal management at Nationwide. They were supportive of me and wonderful enough to work around & with my quirky personality. The company itself was the best place I've ever worked as far as diversity & inclusion go. They developed Associate Resource Groups that focused on many different employee interests. I was president of one of them.
Agile Test Lead/Sr. Analyst (Current Employee) –  Harleysville, PAFebruary 14, 2019
Good place to work and learn and compensation is average. The company doesn't offer WFH for contractors.

Work hours- 9 a to 5 pm
management is okay.
Work place culture is decent
Fast paced customer service oriented environment
Claims Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 14, 2019
Nationwide was a great place to work. That is why I was employed over 30 years. Salary and benefits and upward mobility opportunities are competitive within the industry
Focused on worklife balance
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 14, 2019
Nationwide as a company cares about their associates by providing safe workplace environment. They are focused on supporting their members at critical moments in their lives.
Pros
Benefits, Paid time off and 401K
Cons
Would not recommend for tech roles
Application developer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 13, 2019
I worked there about one year and moved on to other company. The application was old and not well maintained. No consideration of efficiency or performance of code I was seeing. They hire a lot contractors, which is not good for company who want to keep a quality system since for contractor you leave after like 6 months. Anyways at the end of day it is not a tech company, so not much you can expect. I guess it is a good company if you are doing business roles. If you are into tech, please reconsider before you join because you will not learn too much, it’s kinda waste of time.
Fast pace
First Party Medical Claim Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COFebruary 13, 2019
Limited room to grow and fast pace. It can be overwhelming with the amount of claim you have to work. its a robotic environment since all you do look at the computer and talk on the phone all day
It was an entry level position with great benefit
Commercial Line Processor (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 13, 2019
Training was for 3 whole months and additional training are available if your performance is good on your responsible field. Entry level position but most of my colleague who I trained with got promoted or transferred to other high position or department after around a year and half. However, it was in Des Moines and not much challenge position so that I left to go back to school.
Pros
relex, great benefit
Cons
no use of my major in school
Fair and Reasonable company
Field Claims Specialist II, MD, (Former Employee) –  MIssouriFebruary 12, 2019
Management is fair and seems to truly care about the individual contributors.
The position does require a quick paced individual capable of handling stress with excellent customer service skills.
Pros
work life flexibility
Cons
can be very demanding at times
Excellent company to work in
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 12, 2019
Overall experience is very good. Management and all the employees are friendly.

I found more learning opportunity which could help to uplift your skill set. Good concept for learning new skills such as pairing, co ordination and creating equal mind set for learning new skills. I learned how to be more flexible and compassionate to others situations.
Call center management is hit/miss
Customer Service Representative I - Auto (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 11, 2019
Call center management can either be great, offering lots of opportunity for advancement and company recognition, or your supervisor doesn't pay attention to employee progress/advancement and does not suggest or help you work towards promotions/moving jobs in another area of NW. My supervisor offered to "help" me by reviewing my resume, the changes suggested actually hurt me, as the suggestions were to be brief, use less detail, and entirely remove my education and references. Management can be poor, and its nearly impossible to get a schedule change to work day hours if you work evenings, and is especially hard to get weekend days off - even if you request it 7+ months in advance. Call center manager shrugs off employee concerns, and if you request a meeting with them they will pencil you in but made you wait weeks to hear your concerns. And once in the meeting they will ask you questions, then interrupt you mid-response and change the subject. They just genuinely don't care about employee concerns or complaints, especially when it comes to upper management. Evening supervisors are more "could care less" than day supervisors.

Pay and benefits were great, evening shifts offer a shift differential as an incentive to work evenings. The PTO is one bank of time to use both for vacation and sick days, you hardly accrue any PTO per paycheck, so if makes it difficult to catch back up if you "go negative" in PTO for a vacation or otherwise.
Pros
Benefits, Pto, Nice campus
Cons
Supervisors & Upper management, Job advancement, Schedule Change
Sr. Analyst, New Appointments (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 11, 2019
I’ve sincerely enjoyed the many years I have with the company. It’s a family oriented place. The people care about each other. A great company to work for.
Perfect for clock-in and clock-out
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 11, 2019
Great for middle of the road individuals, better for those who give 75%. Easy to learn about other areas, not easy to get experience you need to move into a different career track.
productive
Processing Technician III (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 10, 2019
answer phones daily, help agents with questions on the phone, typing productive on the job, screened others work for errors and helped team lead with other various jobs.
Pros
everything
Cons
everything
Excellent working culture
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 9, 2019
Excellent working culture. Many activities for young professionals. Opportunities to meet Senior Management. Interesting projects across the organisation.
Good experience
SENIOR CLAIMS ADJUSTER (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLFebruary 9, 2019
With this company a short time. Good experience and training. Good benefits. Moderate pay. Would recommend if asked. Free Car and Gas. Time off.
Excellent Co-Workers
Lead Processor, CL (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 8, 2019
Plenty of work, good atmosphere. I have learned a lot. I started off as a policy typist, cancellation clerk, commercial lines rater then Lead Processor, CL.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Healthcare
Work/Life balance
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLFebruary 8, 2019
During my tenure at Nationwide I have encountered many amazing associates. Direct leadership as well as team members that made coming to work fun. My contribution as well as my feedback were valued.
Pros
Amazing parking
Cons
vending machines didn't carry fresh fruit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight