Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company Employee Reviews

Found 2,556 reviews matching the search See all 2,580 reviews
Diverse Opportunities, Good company to Work For
Senior Analyst - Procurement (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 13, 2018
I worked for Nationwide for about 8 years and held 3 different positions. I started off in claims as a processor. This is an entry level position that is often fast paced and thankless. However, your day goes by quickly. If you work hard and are good at what you do, you'll be appreciated by the adjusters that you support. Turnover is often high in these positions, but that is not a reflection on the company - it is typical in comparable roles in other insurance companies. Next, I was a Fiduciary Auditor in the P&C Sales department and finally, I was a procurement analyst. All 3 jobs, really had little to do with each other, so I feel like I was able to attain a diverse portfolio of experience within the same company.
Pros
Diverse Job Opportunities, Competitive Pay, Decent Benefits, Good people, Strong company
Driven to be number one at any cost
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 10, 2018
A typical day at work is meeting after meeting. Not everyone shows up, so nothing gets done. Overlapping meetings and overextended associates. They offer tuition reimbursement but there isn't any time to take classes.

The productivity measures included time spent away from work on vacation and funeral leave, so associates looked bad. This caused people to over report their time so they looked better.

Management doesn't listen and are so immersed in process and process improvement projects, the work isn't getting done. They are constantly chasing the next office fad - Agile, Work Pods, Collaboration, Distruptiveness. They create a task team and assign resources and then there is no time to do REAL work.
Pros
Great pay, excellent benefits and even a pension and 401k match
Cons
Work ethics, culture, overworking associates
Productive, challenging and they have a Gym to work out in!
Claims Representative II (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 17, 2018
You will work hard and long hours, but the pay is good, the benefits are excellent and there is room for growth and advancement especially if you are willing to relocate. The perks are amazing as you are offered all sorts of discounts including new car purchase discounts, theme park discounts, rental car discounts and numerous other things. They try very hard to make this an enjoyable work place and encourage community service opportunities for their employees, which include allowing you to participate in these types of activities during normal working hours.
Caring Company but Benefits and Pay are awful
Commercial Lines Processor (Current Employee) –  Harleysville, PADecember 4, 2018
This company would be wonderful if we had good health insurance and better pay. We have deductible plans and it costs so much money to go to the doctor that I can't afford to pay for my medications. It is also very hard to move up. You have to know people and there are office politics which isn't fair for those who work very hard and for those who have work experience.
Pros
Pension, 401k, Work life balance.
Cons
Healthcare, Pay, Advancement
Good culture; needs innovation
Personal Lines Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 1, 2018
Nationwide has a good culture of supporting it's people but it is definitely lacking when it comes to technology and innovation. Currently I work in the business support department and I am working off spreadsheets and there is a current struggle of writing down and documenting processes. I also didn't receive a raise for a promotion to a higher pay band and was told it was due to moving within the same business unit but a peer who is male received one after making the same move. I feel like the BU I'm in currently is just frustrating but the culture and personal lines business unit is pretty up to date.
Pros
Culture, pay, benefits
Cons
Technology, innovation lacking
Internal politics overshadow mission and strategy in many HQ depts
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 7, 2018
There are MANY great people who work at the Corp HQ. Unfortunately, Home Office politics are openly acknowledged and overshadow individual results, opportunities, and engagement general departments, such as HR and Marketing. Common practice for people to make tremendous effort to either align with and constantly declare executive sponsorship to protect their job or they stay off the radar to stay employed. Golden Handcuffs is a common term.
Pros
Onsire cafeteria, ARGs, employee benefits
Cons
Political work environment
A competitive and fun place to work
Personal Lines Associate Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 21, 2018
Nationwide Insurance is a great company. The organization does a great job focusing on its employees and their satisfaction at work. Vacation days, and flexibility are great, benefits are pretty good as well. Numbers and productivity are huge within the company, and the environment can be competitive. Diversity and Inclusion are emphasized, but more work could be done to bring more people of color into the workplace. If you make your voice heard and work hard, you can accomplish much with Nationwide.
Pros
engaging, fun place to work, flexibility, benefits, discounts
Cons
low pay
Focused on the small things
Processor, Commercial Lines (Farm) (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 22, 2018
In my position (Processor) we have minimal freedom to get up and move around. We are required to be at the desk almost the entirety of our shift. Management is hyper focused on production and meeting challenging goals. Not every department is the same of course, and I more enjoyed previous positions at the company. Benefits are a huge plus. This position pays well for entry level work that doesn't require any experience. I do feel like management goes through my day with a fine toothed comb though.
Pros
45 minute lunch, excellent benefits, 38.75 hours full time standard work week
Cons
Very difficult to advance, extreme level of scrutiny and oversight on day to day activities
Ok- Depends on Dept
Claims Customer Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLSeptember 10, 2018
Working at Nationwide can be great but like any major company there are pros and cons. They have great benefits and the pay is great.
Even with great pay and benefits - it is hard to move up in the company without some type of degree. They like to retain their employees but lately that has not been happening. There is little to no overtime offered. Sometimes more work is placed on you then you can handle but they except the work to be completed.
I feel like recognition could possibly be better - they say that each area and role is important but I do not feel that is so. I have been with the company almost five years - many change has taken place but that does not hide the structure of management and higher ups.
Productive and Friendly Work Environment
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 4, 2018
Nationwide is a very fast paced and challenging work environment. Most times, if not always, the call volume is pretty high. However, the management was absolutely understanding and helpful in many ways. Very laid back, but stern at the same time in the sense that we can make the work environment fun and always boost the moral as much as possible, but make sure the work is done and done correctly. They have a great sense of direction and only hire individuals that they know can accomplish the task.
Pros
Great management, benefits, work with school, their own cafeteria and Starbucks.
Cons
Very fast paced with very high call volume every day.
Productive and Friendly Workplace
Agent Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VASeptember 12, 2018
The work culture is fun and interactive. Nationwide is a great place to work, and it allows for me to gain new knowledge and skills necessary for advancing my career! Supportive management and positive work atmosphere.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Benefits
Great job except for the back-stabbing
Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 17, 2018
The culture was about undermining others, not collaboration. Production quotas strictly enforced, but employees who skipped difficult claims to boost their productivity were rewarded for their ethical breaches. Employees who worked claims no matter the difficulty were punished for taking on more challenging work.
One of the leads in my department would tattle to her supervisor in another state whenever a coworker went to the rest room. I don't understand how that is ethical behavior, productive, or worthy of the reward of being promoted to a lead.
The job was great before Nationwide took over the pet insurance company, but Nationwide destroyed our benefits and all of our pro-animal perks and policies. The pay was all right until the benefit of good health insurance effectively gave me a 25% annual pay cut.
Pros
Lots of logo schwag
Cons
too many back-stabbers
Call Center
Member Care Representative I (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 4, 2018
Same expectations, same schedule, no room for advancement
Learned a lot about myself, loyalty
Management depending on who you have to report may or may not enforce company policy
The culture of Nationwide is strong, people try their best to support one another
The hardest part of the job is staying motivated
Nationwide is a great company to work for
Sales Manager for Long Island, NY Market (Current Employee) –  Merrick, NYAugust 16, 2018
Nationwide is a Great company to work for and the culture is very diverse. Nationwide offers advancement and proactive management. Working in a a territory remotely is very important for work life balance.
Pros
Remote Work
Cons
Claims adjusters are worked to death
Large Loss Claims (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 31, 2018
After many years with the company I have gotten into a role with no advancement or ability to move to a different job. Turn over has always been high in this area and I'm not sure if that's what is keeping Nationwide from helping me find a good job fit or if a huge company has no resources for this, but I consistently do not feel valued as a person or listened to. Frustrating thing is the company says it cares about the employees as people - I'm sure some locations are that way. However if you're in a remote claims job expect competitive peers that are afraid of teamwork, leaders that are either so dead inside or just so socially awkward that I can't tell, and a workload that is going to set you up to fail. The pay is good but is it worth it to not have a life? The company is going through major changes all over and maybe in 10 years they will have things figured out. In the mean time, I'd prefer to work with a company that has their stuff together.
really fun culture, inclusive of everyones ideas
Member Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHMay 12, 2018
top managers are very hands on and approachable, friendly and all about helping everybody reach their next position. staff and supervisors amd leads are very nuturing and catering to your needs for growth!! Excellent place to work and for a career!!
Tips.. master your level before trying to move up, just because a quick move presents itself doesnt mean its the right time in you havent mastered the msr level then youre gonna struggle at the next position
Pros
food, comfortability, culture, mid year and annual raises, open door policy with top figureheads
Cons
starting schedule sucks 2nd shift 10-830 hard to balance with life obligations
Overworked
Field Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 21, 2018
Cat (Catastrophe) Duty = 7 days/week 12 minimum hours/day and it is mandatory. Between 8/1/2017 - 7/31/2018, 9 of 12 months were Cat-Duty. If you work 330+ days out of 365, how do you clean your house? Walk you dog? See your family/friends? How do you live, if you have NO work-life balance?

Do not ever work for Nationwide Insurance. They will grind you into the ground, pour more work on top of your grave, and then question your corpse when you do not complete what 3 people could not accomplish working a standard 40 hour work week.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Absolutely no work-life balance, the worst employee retention I have ever seen of any role at any company
Difficult position in call center environment
Personal Lines Service Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJuly 26, 2018
Strong training program but difficult position in a call center environment. Would be much better if reps could become more centralized in one state versus multiple. Too much to learn and retain and available "bible" of information is difficult to navigate. Management was nice but not always available to assist, so good customer service to caller was difficult most of the time. Of the maybe 15 people I started in training with, only 2 or 3 stayed in the position and company.
Pros
Large company with potential for advancement opportunities
Cons
Training is difficult and lengthy; strong emphasis on call quality but difficult to accomplish
Pay is decent if you're willing to put up with toxicity
Member Care Representative II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 24, 2018
I could not work in such a toxic, competitive environment and showed favoritism from supervisors. At the end of our training they surprised us all by saying we were going to be trained on upselling features insureds could add onto their policies. That was not part of the job description and I left the company siting that it just wasn't for me.
Pros
Decent Starting Salary
Cons
Toxic Work Environment
Nationwide only on executives' sides
Multicultural Marketing (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 10, 2018
Nationwide has lost its way as an employer of choice and in the marketplace. Opportunity and job security for very few people. Staying employed and relevant is all about who your internal sponsor is. Corporate profitability & budget managed through RIFs & increased premiums on decreasing customer base, not business growth
Pros
Nationwide Foundation and Philanthropy; Large Central OH employer
Cons
Highly political work culture, incompetent leaders in many areas

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight